Page 198 of 271 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248 ... LastLast
Results 2,956 to 2,970 of 4051

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I have a lot of concerns with her description of Wanda as mental health representation. Since there hasn't been a positive depiction of mental illness involving her. But hopefully the movies will do a better job than comics.
    It's been apparent they were going there with Wanda and while I can understand concerns, I think the medium (possibly)lends itself to a more mature and thoughtful approach to the subject matter. It's pretty critical that she frames it as addressing the "stigma" of mental health within the MCU and hopefully that means her storyline will be both respectful and deep. Being the titular character as well, I'm going to remain positive that this won't JUST be setup for other MCU stories but will solidify Wanda as a fixture for Marvel to tell amazing stories about.

Extraordinary Member

This title is just beyond ironic considering the content of the article. Accurate in which way?
    Focusing on her supposed mental health is kinda like some fans considering her being Magneto's daughter is all there is for comic accuracy.
    Again if I would have to summarize her "comic accuracy" in terms of character themes(tossing aside specific lore here), that would be love and loss, joy and grief, bless and curse(power-wise).
    Bearing the burden of the "iconic patient" is always tiring, the same goes for characters like Jean. But hey at least they got insanity stories actually about them, Wanda doesn't have that privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    It's been apparent they were going there with Wanda and while I can understand concerns, I think the medium (possibly)lends itself to a more mature and thoughtful approach to the subject matter. It's pretty critical that she frames it as addressing the "stigma" of mental health within the MCU and hopefully that means her storyline will be both respectful and deep. Being the titular character as well, I'm going to remain positive that this won't JUST be setup for other MCU stories but will solidify Wanda as a fixture for Marvel to tell amazing stories about.
    I can only hope, but definitely conditioned to expect how Wanda has been treated for the past 16 years.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I have a lot of concerns with her description of Wanda as mental health representation. Since there hasn't been a positive depiction of mental illness involving her. But hopefully the movies will do a better job than comics.
    Same here, the only time I can think of Wanda getting any decent mental health representation was when she was having psychiatry sessions with the Ringmaster. Hopefully the MCU will do a much better job than the comics.
    So far, the only decent portrayal of mental illness I have seen in comics has been in Unstoppable Wasp and Nadia's Bi-polar

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Same here, the only time I can think of Wanda getting any decent mental health representation was when she was having psychiatry sessions with the Ringmaster. Hopefully the MCU will do a much better job than the comics.
    So far, the only decent portrayal of mental illness I have seen in comics has been in Unstoppable Wasp and Nadia's Bi-polar
    I haven't read much on Nadia, but glad to know they did well there.

I haven't read much on Nadia, but glad to know they did well there.
    It was done really well. it helped they actually consulted psychologists and psychiatrists on it

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Especially compared to how they handled her dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Especially compared to how they handled her dad.
    As even mentioned in Unstoppable Wasp, Hank never asked for help, he just buried all his problems rather than trying to deal with them.

Yeah but everything Hank did was written. He's not a real person. So they obviously could have written him better all along. I think Avengers AI attempted to address the mental health issue on an honest, more human level. At least having him diagnosed and talk about how he's dealing with it all. But overall, comics do not have a good track record with this, and resorts back to the possession = mental illness, mental illness = evil tropes.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 10-20-2020 at 02:10 AM.

Hank and Wanda are definitely Marvel's biggest victims, regarding writing mental disorders
    Last edited by rhaenylis; 10-20-2020 at 06:08 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    One thing I don't get about the trailer is why would Wanda be surprised with her reality warping the furniture in her living room when she supposedly ALREADY reality warped the town in which she's living in? Wouldn't it be a step down for her to reality warp items in her household after doing that already for her fake world? That also makes me believe that she's not in control of what's going on here.
    Here's my take on that:
    If the pocket dimension is made of chaos magic, it would logically feed off of Wanda's emotions. This would explain the world turning to colour and Wanda being surprised by it.

It would therefore follow that if Wanda has no control of what is happening, then a more skilled or powerful chaos magic user is present.

Also, I would surmise that the involvement of SWORD suggests the story may involve the villain having Earth-based followers that SWORD will have to pursue.
    Last edited by Relugus; 10-20-2020 at 08:34 AM.

WandaVision: 10 Things Fans Should Know About Scarlet Witch And Vision's Twins
    https://www.cbr.com/wandavision-impo...-vision-twins/

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    Here's my take on that:
    If the pocket dimension is made of chaos magic, it would logically feed off of Wanda's emotions. This would explain the world turning to colour and Wanda being surprised by it.

It would therefore follow that if Wanda has no control of what is happening, then a more skilled or powerful chaos magic user is present.

Also, I would surmise that the involvement of SWORD suggests the story may involve the villain having Earth-based followers that SWORD will have to pursue.
    It is possible that someone has created this world and making Wanda think she is in control of it, so she would accept it more

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    I actually think that he MCU would be a little bit more sensitive towards how they portray mental illness with their female characters in their movies/shows in light of the fierce backlash against X-Men: Dark Phoenix and the last season of Game of Thrones. I think trying to do portray mental illness in dudes is even harder because of the "toxic masculinity" in our culture. I remember a few weeks ago the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys (a team I hate just as much as the New York Yankees), Dak Prescott, made public of the fact he suffered from depression because of the COVID-19 quarantine and the suicide of his brother, and was immediately criticized by sports commentator Skip Bayless (Bayless said he had no sympathy for Prescott because "If you reveal publicly any little weakness, it can affect your team’s ability to believe in you in the toughest spots and it definitely could encourage others on the other side to come after you,"). I'm a fan of Bayless, but I don't agree with his statement. I think male superheroes would run into the same problems male professional athletes face when it comes to dealing with mental illness. So I'm confident the MCU will do right by Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    Here's my take on that:

Interesting theory. I like it.