Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Shang-Chi: Appreciation 2020

Hi all. Just thought I'd start off the new thread on Marvel's undisputed master of Kung Fu, Shang-Chi!

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Latest sound bite concerning the upcoming Shang-Chi movie from Kevin Feige. Here he is talking about the make up of the cast:

During a recent New York Film Academy Guest Speaker event, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige discussed Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and revealed that 98% of the cast will be Asian. During a Q&A, an attendee asked what the process is when deciding which characters to show in the MCU. Feige stated that the choice of characters can vary. He said, "Like Shang-Chi, we’ve wanted to make that movie for a long time. We want to make a movie with a 98% Asian cast." This checks out, as Marvel has had a Shang-Chi movie in development since even before it acquired the movie rights to the first Iron Man.
    Pretty cool. I also read somewhere that Kevin said how the film wouldn't be a typical martial arts film. I think he meant that there'd be more acting and drama? I hope so. While the action is important, hey, we need those character moments. Indeed, for a character like Shang who hasn't had many moments in the last few decades, that would be necessary.
    "I am a man of peace."

Happy New Year to the Master of Kung-Fu .

BANNED

Rise of Shang-Chi: Official Trailer

is Charles Dance still alive? he would have been my Black Jack Tarr. but i guess pretty much anyone (ex. Timothy dalton) could play that role now.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    [CENTER]Rise of Shang-Chi: Official Trailer
    []
    hmmm. i guess i was expecting something with catchier music. something cool and retro. in my head, it's a drum beat that is steadily growing in intensity as Shang's rage grows. he starts out speaking to someone off screen about how despite being raised to be a weapon that he's a man of peace and afraid of what hee's about to do. then there would just be a flash of him assuming a stance followed by blackness. then you'd just see a quick shot of an army of broken bodies in a circle; the aftermath of a fight.

Can’t wait to see what happens with Shang this year!

Just to pick up a thought from the previous thread, Destin Daniel Cretton, the director for the upcoming movie, had this interesting soundbite for the film:

Noting that Shang-Chi is “a very different type of movie than Just Mercy,” Cretton revealed both movies share similar themes and ideas on family.

“In the same vein, the emotional aspect and the ideas of camaraderie, family, and connection is something that will definitely be a part of this movie,” he said.
    Now, family can be taken in many ways. I'm hoping that the Mandarin isn't Shang-Chi's father-like figure mentor person, but the actual father. I'm championing that all the way.

Some other random Shang-Chi thoughts:

- Saw Ip Man 4 a couple of days ago. Honestly cried during that film. Seeing Chinese martial arts go up against the big bads of discrimination and racism (which are usual themes of the Ip Man films) hit all the right emotions. Again, I'm hoping to see that level of martial arts and emotion with Shang-Chi, whether it's in the film or the comics.

- Agents of Atlas is showing Shang in the right ways. I like his calm demeanor and how the book is showing him as the sifu for a lot of the characters, like Sword Master. Quite honestly, I'm hoping he becomes the sifu for the whole team. There have been panels throughout the Agents of Atlas where he's taught everyone. I liked the interactions he's had with Crescent. Plus, he's one of the characters that can really stand up to Jimmy. Shang doesn't like those games of death and deceit!

- We need to see Shang take on some of the baddest bad guys in the Marvel Universe. I'm talking Crossbones, Bullseye, Taskmaster, and every other street level tough guy, psycho, and merc. Comics have been telling us he's the undisputed master of Kung Fu so he's got to show it.
    "I am a man of peace."

Thought I'd post some other excerpts from an interview Cretton gave to the Hollywood Reporter regarding the importance of this Shang-Chi film:

Shang-Chi feels like a big step in a different direction. Why that next?

I grew up without a superhero to look up to. I gravitated to Spider-Man when I was a kid, primarily because he had a mask covering his face and I could imagine myself under that mask. I would love to give my son a superhero to look up to. I feel very privileged to be a part of telling that story.
    Can Shang-Chi be the superhero that Asians and Asian-Americans relate to? It's a risky proposition. Still, the movie seems rooted in the right ways. Indeed, Cretton seems to be coming from the same place as Simu Liu, that of being the outsider yet being hopeful for Shang-Chi's success:

Being from Hawaii and of Asian descent, did you ever feel like an outsider in this industry?

It was a huge culture shock going from Hawaii to the [U.S.] mainland. I moved to San Diego when I was 19 to go to school, and I was not prepared for the culture shock. You don't feel "other" in Hawaii. I didn't understand why I felt weird when I came here because I didn't know I had an accent. I didn't understand why it felt weird for someone to call me Bruce Lee. It was an adjustment. In Hawaii, things are laid-back. In L.A., there was too much fear-based competition and ways that you were supposed to be to make it in this industry that were complete opposites to my personality.

... On this movie with Marvel, just in terms of casting — how many famous Asian actors are there? It's really exciting to be able to make some new famous faces for other films to choose from. It would be a failure if Shang-Chi was, like, the first and last. That would suck. But I hope it's the first of many more movies that represent the world that we live in.
    Let's hope this isn't the last Shang-Chi anything!
    "I am a man of peace."

BANNED

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #8 Jan 1975
    Shang-Chi, the Master of Kung Fu, stars in "A Hatred for All Seasons!"
    Shang-Chi sets himself up as a target for death

to a modern-day Jack the Ripper!

Story by Doug Moench. Art by Mike Vosburg and Jack Abel.

BANNED

Master of Kung Fu #24 Jan 1975
    "Massacre along the Amazon!"
    Shang-Chi has arrived in South America in search of his villainous father, Fu Manchu,

and winds up in a crossfire between two warring parties.

Letter to the editor from comics writer Peter Gillis.

Script by Doug Moench; pencils by Al Milgrom, Jim Starlin, Alan Weiss and Walter Simonson; inks by Sal Trapani.

All-New Member

As a huge fan of the original Master Of Kung Fu series, I've been kinda bummed about how badly used SHang Chi has been since his series was cancelled in the early 80's.
    But 2 bright spots for me is the 15 issue Heroes For Hire series from 2006, and the Marvel Knights series from 2000.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

Now, family can be taken in many ways. I'm hoping that the Mandarin isn't Shang-Chi's father-like figure mentor person, but the actual father. I'm championing that all the way.
    I'd prefer that Shang be from the streets, because then it becomes the everyman versus the purebred Übermensch from a long bloodline of purebred Übermenschen. The Mandarin is the product of centuries of centuries of breeding warriors to create someone perfect in mind, body, and spirit. Whereas Shang is nobody, just some streetrat the Mandarin adopted as a pet and trained to be canon-fodder.

Yet in the end Mandarin turns out to be unbalanced, too full of rage, too focused on hardstyle moves, and burning through his supply of mystic chi like the Hulk with a small gas-tank. Whereas the nobody streetrat is completely balanced.

Just wanted to update on some Shang-Chi news:

- Rosalind Chao who starred in Star Trek and The Joy Luck Club is reportedly going to be in the Shang-Chi movie. CBR reports that she's playing a character called "mom":

https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-rosali...o-cast-report/

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine alum Rosalind Chao has reportedly boarded the cast of Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

The Illuminerdi purports to have gotten ahold of a casting sheet for the upcoming Shang-Chi film, which lists Chao has being officially cast in the film in the role of 'Mom.' No other details regarding Chao's character are available at this time, but The Illuminerdi claims she will be playing the mother of Awkwafina's character. Hence, the 'Mom' placeholder name. Furthermore, if the casting sheet is to be taken as legitimate, the film still has several more roles that need to be cast.
    Article said that Rosalind would be playing Awkwafina's character's mom. Personally, I was hoping that she'd be playing one of Shang's masters. Always said that I think that Shang HAD to have had a woman as one of his masters. Perhaps she'll be playing Shang's mom? If so, that's a departure from the comics where Shang's mom is white.

In any case, cool to see that some famous Asian-American stars are in this movie!

- Been wondering...with the movie coming out in about a year's time...we going to get that Shang-Chi solo? He's been a great addition to the Agents of Atlas, but, y'know, I'd like to see him in some solo adventures.
    "I am a man of peace."

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

One of my favourite streetwise Marvel heroes.