Page 61 of 271 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Oh, I apologize for sounding like I dislike male writers. I don't want to trash dudes. I am one and I like being one too. What I meant to say is that there is virtually no chance that women writers would make their female protagonists act the way they did in Game of Thrones season 8 and Dark Phoenix from what I've heard. The whole women going mad with power is something female writers generally shy away from. And from what I understand, it's not entirely fair to blame D&D entirely as bad writers. Most people generally seem to think they are excellent ADAPTERS of source material. They emphasise important points and do away with irrelevant stuff while telling stories in an engaging way. That's what made the show successful in the first place so they do deserve credit for the show's earlier success. I think it was too much to ask of them to write their OWN material because it was beyond their abilities.

I also read that Martin DIDN'T want to complete his books before the show concluded because he didn't want his books to compete with the show. And his writing pace has dramatically slowed in recent years. He hasn't written a book in like eight years! Maybe he knew Game of Thrones would fail without him and dissatisfied viewers would seek his novels out like you will! In that case, he is an evil genius. Or maybe he's just gotten kind of lazy and has major writer's block.

Jac Schaeffer and her staff will also be adapting source material from the comic books, but I definitely think they have some bonkers ideas of their own which they will inject into Wandavision. They're definitely taking a different approach than previous writers from the MCU I believe.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...ow-mcu-phase-4
    Nah, it's just me catching any chance to throw shade at D&D, and stating that being dudes is not an excuse for writing crappy female character.
    Well, I don't feel as pressed about MRRM as before, hey we still got Brandon Anderson who write bunch of stuff at a fast a rate.

I don't worry much about writers mishandling characters, it's more about where their interests lies, as much as I like to talk about Wanda's magic lore.
    I don't think other people in general are that interested in certain parts, like the Elder Gods.

Fan-made Doctor Strange poster
    EXr8xp7WAAALvNI.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Nah, it's just me catching any chance to throw shade at D&D, and stating that being dudes is not an excuse for writing crappy female character.
    Well, I don't feel as pressed about MRRM as before, hey we still got Brandon Anderson who write bunch of stuff at a fast a rate.

I don't worry much about writers mishandling characters, it's more about where their interests lies, as much as I like to talk about Wanda's magic lore.
    I don't think other people in general are that interested in certain parts, like the Elder Gods.
    I think the Elder Gods sound really interesting as I stated before. But for some reason so many fans want Wandavision to bring in mutants. I think their introduction should come at a later date. Fox's versions of those characters are just too recent in my opinion. And I totally agree with you about dudes writing women well. It definitely can be done. But even some of the greatest authors like Hemingway and Steinbeck were severely criticized for their portrayal of females. So it's kind of hard. I never understood why D&D didn't hire some additional writers to help them salvage GoT season 8. They must have known that they were biting off more than they could chew. And apparently the whole thing felt unbelievably rushed. I firmly believe that the duo were so eager to start working on Star Wars that they completely gave up on GoT. And then they were promptly removed from that gig too (much to the rejoicing of both GoT and Star Wars fans)! It was so strange to see actors from the GoT display such ambivalence towards the final product THAT openly. I'm sure it horrifies them that their legacy will be to ruin the best show in TV history by writing the worst final season of any show in TV history. Let's be honest, if they were courageous enough to go face their detractors at last year's San Diego Comic-Con, I'm sure you would have respected them a LITTLE bit more than you do now. People are still amazed that they got an Emmy nomination for WRITING on the final episode of Season 8. This is in stark contrast to Paul Bettany's unstinting praise for Jac Schaeffer. He's called her brilliant and said that "as the scripts come in, the work is just so extraordinary." He's also stated that he was so excited, and that the "scripts are amazing." I do think what Marvel is doing with this show is really risky and they could definitely fall flat on their faces. But I appreciate them taking chances and doing something different and new. And I think they will succeed too. It would be really funny to start the series with an Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet style introduction stating that "they will be documenting the incredible story of a sorceress learning to harness her powers and her battery-powered boyfriend." Then Vis would phase through the front door startling Wanda while she was doing chores, and she would bark out "Vis, we talked about this!"
    Last edited by Albert1981; 05-13-2020 at 07:30 PM.

I think the Elder Gods sound really interesting as I stated before. But for some reason so many fans want Wandavision to bring in mutants. I think their introduction should come at a later date. Fox's versions of those characters are just too recent in my opinion. And I totally agree with you about dudes writing women well. It definitely can be done. But even some of the greatest authors like Hemingway and Steinbeck were severely criticized for their portrayal of females. So it's kind of hard. I never understood why D&D didn't hire some additional writers to help them salvage GoT season 8. They must have known that they were biting off more than they could chew. And apparently the whole thing felt unbelievably rushed. I firmly believe that the duo were so eager to start working on Star Wars that they completely gave up on GoT. And then they were promptly removed from that gig too (much to the rejoicing of both GoT and Star Wars fans)! It was so strange to see actors from the GoT display such ambivalence towards the final product THAT openly. I'm sure it horrifies them that their legacy will be to ruin the best show in TV history by writing the worst final season of any show in TV history. Let's be honest, if they were courageous enough to go face their detractors at last year's San Diego Comic-Con, I'm sure you would have respected them a LITTLE bit more than you do now. People are still amazed that they got an Emmy nomination for WRITING on the final episode of Season 8. This is in stark contrast to Paul Bettany's unstinting praise for Jac Schaeffer. He's called her brilliant and said that "as the scripts come in, the work is just so extraordinary." He's also stated that he was so excited, and that the "scripts are amazing." I do think what Marvel is doing with this show is really risky and they could definitely fall flat on their faces. But I appreciate them taking chances and doing something different and new. And I think they will succeed too. It would be really funny to start the series with an Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet style introduction stating that "they will be documenting the incredible story of a sorceress learning to harness her powers and her battery-powered boyfriend." Then Vis would phase through the front door startling Wanda while she was doing chores, and she would bark out "Vis, we talked about this!"
    Those are fans of mutants that really are just desperate for them to be in the universe early. I want Wanda's story told and she has a lot without the mutant thing. I don't feel she needs or deserves to be saddled with them being brought in, since that was never her thing.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Those are fans of mutants that really are just desperate for them to be in the universe early. I want Wanda's story told and she has a lot without the mutant thing. I don't feel she needs or deserves to be saddled with them being brought in, since that was never her thing.
    Yeah, the whole Wanda should do a reverse -HOM in the MCU is just plain stupid and even if she did to it, mutant fans are unlikely to forgive her for HOM, since she did do a reverse HOM in the comics already.

And, yet, I find this fascinating: why do people join a cause, feel they are a part of a community and must defend it?

I'm fine with Wanda being a mutant and that mutant affairs are not her thing. After all, what happened during her time with Magneto hasn't been that rosy…

The fact that she wanted a normal life, a family to balance her life as an Avenger seems logical. On the other hand, it's a position that, if she were a mutant, she would have to defend when facing the other mutants that would ask for more solidarity.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    And, yet, I find this fascinating: why do people join a cause, feel they are a part of a community and must defend it?

I'm fine with Wanda being a mutant and that mutant affairs are not her thing. After all, what happened during her time with Magneto hasn't been that rosy…
    It's not that mutant affairs aren't her thing, it's that it looked like she was squared off in the Avengers corner which rarely cross with the X-men. She needn't only show up when Magneto appears since the X-men and Avengers have been friends for years - before tensions between the two groups became palpable within the last few years.

The fact that she wanted a normal life, a family to balance her life as an Avenger seems logical. On the other hand, it's a position that, if she were a mutant, she would have to defend when facing the other mutants that would ask for more solidarity.
    These days just being the X-men presence will do that. You're either with them or against them, there is no middle ground anymore. A theme which appears to be reaching its logical conclusion with Krakoa. I do think were she a mutant it'd provide opportunities to explore that space which is harder to do in comics, they're far less isolated in the MCU. Anyone can appear in everyone else's films.

Something I came up w. for a perfect x-Men team builder thread this morning.
    A Wanda led team...:

THE UNFORGIVABLE X-MEN
    Last edited by Riv86672; 05-14-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Yeah, they should let Wandavision be essentially about Wanda and Vision as the title suggests. Adding mutants into the narrative would take away so much from their fascinating story. Once the Covid-19 crisis is over, I'm gonna have to do some extensive reading! What I worry about is too much dense continuity and convoluted backstories, and that is why I have stayed away from comic books for so long. What I've learned from the Internet has astonished me. I've found out that Avengers like Hawkeye, Thor (both Odinson and Jane Foster), the Hulk and the Vision have each had their own series' that were incredibly well-received by fans and critics alike. I hear Wanda has had some good writing done on her as well, but from what I've read her character growth has kind of stalled while others have blossomed, unfortunately. I think that's why Marvel Studios has decided to incorporate Tom King's Vision into the show. Maybe they'll reverse the roles and replace Vision with Wanda as the person trying to start her own family and live a "normal" life. Not sure if that's fair to Vis because that's truly HIS story, but you can make the argument that Wanda deserved as much credit as Vis for making Tom King's series such a success. I just think it's hard to write stories for Wanda. Her powers are so esoteric and undefined. And she has gained a legacy of severe mental illness which many writers, artists and editors are afraid to touch. I'm looking forward to reading King's series so much. I heard that when Vision was about to commit an unspeakable act, Wanda rushed to save him from crossing that line because of her love for him. That's the Wanda I remember reading about so long ago. Not the one who butchered the people she cared about.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Something I came up w. for a perfect x-Men team builder thread this morning.
    A Wanda led team...:

THE UNFORGIVABLE X-MEN
    That’s a good team very OP, could also be an Avengers team.

I'd rather Wanda stay on the Avengers side. There is no way for her to be forgiven on the X-side, and I no longer care if that even happens. Marvel ignored it for a while now. So it is what it is. They had an opportunity do stuff when she came back to comics a decade ago. They whiffed on it. I want her to move on.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I'd rather Wanda stay on the Avengers side. There is no way for her to be forgiven on the X-side, and I no longer care if that even happens. Marvel ignored it for a while now. So it is what it is. They had an opportunity do stuff when she came back to comics a decade ago. They whiffed on it. I want her to move on.
    I agree w. you.

For my build, though, i went w. the premise of, given the team is doing its own thing on Krakoa, Wanda taking the X-Men name, and representing those mutants who -havent- isolated themselves, as well as helping the public in general, and saying we're the X-Men now.

Not only do fans want to see people like Magneto and Quicksilver appear in Wandavision, I've noticed a growing drumbeat for Wonder Man to show up too! Many web pages have been devoted to explaining why Simon Williams HAS to play a role in this series ever since it was announced. These folks have been FURIOUS for the past five years because they felt that JARVIS and the Mind Stone had no right to create Vision in the MCU, and his origins in the movies should not have differed from the comic books. I can understand their frustration because they are fans of Wonder Man, but I feel that at this point it's just too late to add him to Wanda's and Vision's story. They should do it later if they want to. I personally believe it won't make any difference because I don't think Vis is coming back.

Ultimate Member

I would go with the magic route too. At this point, Loki should be the main person involved with the stones because he has one! I think Wanda is unintentionally involved with what is happening in Wandavision, but forces are definitely manipulating her and Vision.
    Oh wow, I forgot that it's the Mind Stone that past-Loki absconded with... That just makes it more convoluted and fun!

And yeah, I don't think that Vision (or Pietro, if he appears) are coming out of this fantasy world of WandaVision. I'd like if Quicksilver were alive (and Hawkeye had died instead, in Age of Ultron), but it is what it is, and I don't think it would be good to bring him (or Vision) back to life permanently through the events of WandaVision.

Just Wanda's coming out of this, IMO. There may be repercussions in the 'real world,' but I don't feel like resurrections (or a magical pregnancy, shudder...), are among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Oh wow, I forgot that it's the Mind Stone that past-Loki absconded with... That just makes it more convoluted and fun!
    i thought he teleported out with another tesseract, which is why cap and tony went to 1970