Page 114 of 271 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 4051

Wasn't there a powerful sorcerer in the 1980's named <<Kaluu>> that used to have Chaos Magic powers?

Ultimate Member

Kaluu was more of a 'black magic' guy, who specifically tapped into more evil sorts of magic than Dr. Strange typically uses.

At least, that was the theory. In practice, he wasn't really shown tapping into invocations from figures like Dormammu, Shuma-Gorath, Loki, D'Spayre, Mephisto, the Great Beasts, the Gibborim, Marduk Kurios, Zarathos, etc. just it sort of being hand-waved that his magic was 'dark' somehow, because it had nebulous nasty side-effects (like summoning a wind to whisk him away, that somehow created a drought somewhere else, as if there was any logical reason why you'd do that, when summoning a wind that *doesn't* cause a drought somewhere is *easier* and more effective, thanks to Winds of Watoomb, so it's like 'evil for the lulz' apparently).

Extraordinary Member

Even before that Mighty Avengers story, Strange himself actually calls Wanda's powers "Chaos Magic" in New Avengers #26, written by..... Brian Bendis. I don't think anyone really thought it out.

The "there is no such thing as chaos magic" line from Disassembled was actually a callback to the Busiek Avengers story where Agatha Harkness tells Wanda that her powers are actually chaos magic. The reveal in Avengers Disassembled was supposed to be that Agatha had been dead all along, and that whoever was telling Wanda about "chaos magic" was either not Agatha, or a figment of Wanda's own imagination. Unfortunately that part of the story was so confusingly done that writers to this day think Wanda murdered Agatha, when the intent was to show that Agatha was just a corpse rotting in her old house. But that's all "there is no such thing as chaos magic" was supposed to mean.

If you look at that 1998 Avengers story, Wanda is the only one who sees Agatha and there are a lot of unexplained questions about how Agatha appears in front of her. I don't know if this was actually supposed to be setting up a future story, but I think it was something Bendis or Brevoort (probably Brevoort) suggested as a way into Avengers Disassembled. The execution was just bad, though.

In the end I don't think the definition of chaos magic matters that much any more, especially because no writer since Busiek has actually used it consistently. The thing that has hung on consistently since then is the idea that Wanda's mutant hex power is actually a control over magic. Even Avengers Disassembled has Strange say that, as a mutant, Wanda was born with a power to control magic.

Isn't the whole line something like "There's no such thing as chaos magic, just chaotic use of magic"? It was basically Bendis using whatever bullshit he could to justify painting Wanda in a bad light. It was stupid, made Strange look dumb, and latter stories quickly said otherwise. Nothing else to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Isn't the whole line something like "There's no such thing as chaos magic, just chaotic use of magic"? It was basically Bendis using whatever bullshit he could to justify painting Wanda in a bad light. It was stupid, made Strange look dumb, and latter stories quickly said otherwise. Nothing else to think about it.
    Basically Strange goes into a rant about there is no such thing as Chaos Magic because he says so and then rants on about how Wanda is a crazy person. I just go with Slott's later explanation that people try to deny Chaso magic in order to weaken it

Ultimate Member

Gosh, I sure do miss those easily defined and limited 'bad luck bolts' she used to have (which were crazy powerful, she could one-shot *Ultron* with them!), before all this chaos magic, reality manipulation, totally ill-defined 'witchcraft' she's got this generation which does whatever the plot demands this week, and mysteriously can't ever do it again if it would wreck the plot of next week's episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Wasn't there a powerful sorcerer in the 1980's named <<Kaluu>> that used to have Chaos Magic powers?
    I remember him, i think he fought Strange and the Ancient One at the same time once and was doing pretty good against them

Wanda also had a brief fight with him but sadly they got interrupted

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Gosh, I sure do miss those easily defined and limited 'bad luck bolts' she used to have (which were crazy powerful, she could one-shot *Ultron* with them!), before all this chaos magic, reality manipulation, totally ill-defined 'witchcraft' she's got this generation which does whatever the plot demands this week, and mysteriously can't ever do it again if it would wreck the plot of next week's episode.
    Yeah, personally, I liked Wanda's "Hex Powers" best. I liked how how they were shown too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    I remember him, i think he fought Strange and the Ancient One at the same time once and was doing pretty good against them

Thanks, I did not know about this and never saw this fight/images.

The DCEU is considering Zatanna and Raven solo movies in response to WandaVision.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y1esdyEOUU

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The DCEU is considering Zatanna and Raven solo movies in response to WandaVision.
    More variety is good, and hopefully they up each others game, trying to put out the first X or the best Y.

Raven, in particular, has some good story potential, thanks to her demon-dad. (And indeed, 616 Wanda has flirted with a similar situation with Chthon, who seems to be similarly attempting to use her to break free and invade our world, just as Trigon has attempted to do with Raven.)

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Gonna wait for Warner confirmation, this easily can end up like the Cyborg and lantern corps movies and others that were in "preparation" but never saw the light.

BANNED

Gonna wait for Warner confirmation, this easily can end up like the Cyborg and lantern corps movies and others that were in "preparation" but never saw the light.
    Even then there’s still no guarantee. I think the safest time to suggest a movies actually getting done is when it enters the production phase. Because even with scripts or announcements they could always scrap but once they start producing it usually the point of moving forward.

I could see the appeal of either a Zatanna series or movie and Raven is something I definitely think would be epic if done right

Plus Grace Randolph is the one that was told what she was reporting about the BoP movie was wrong by the very director of the movie and still tried to be right about it. She's pretty out there.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Off topic but what was Medusa doing there? (And I see She-Hulk as well.) And what issue is this, I want to read it on Unlimited, thanks.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Off topic but what was Medusa doing there? (And I see She-Hulk as well.) And what issue is this, I want to read it on Unlimited, thanks.
    Captain America and the Might Avengers #3 by Al Ewing and Luke Ross. It's part of AXIS