Page 226 of 271 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 4051
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Wanda and Jean in contest of champions 1999
    This guy (Michael Ryan) drew the Pérez costume worse than anyone else, ever - he also drew her Thor guest appearance around the same time and it looked even worse. But it's a hard costume for anyone but George Pérez to draw.

It seems around 1999-2000 there was a brief Wanda popularity boomlet because she was arguably the main character of the 1998 Avengers reboot. She got guest appearances like these and also got her only TV appearance as an Avenger in "AVengers: United They Stand." It didn't last of course. But her guest appearance in Thor is still arguably her best guest appearance ever in spite of the art.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Vox didn't read Avengers comics then. Because that might be true now but wasn't true during the bronze age.
    Well, due to my long absence from Marvel Comics and most things "nerd" and "geek" related, I had to rely on "mainstream" publications to help me understand the movies and catch up on the new comic book stories of the 21st century. Websites like Vox helped me immensely.

Vox describes Wanda thus:

https://www.vox.com/2015/4/28/849852...itch-explained

Vox describes Vision here:

https://www.vox.com/2015/3/16/822069...-age-of-ultron

I thought they did a pretty good job of explaining things.

I absolutely love it when comic books get respect as a serious and legitimate medium from esteemed magazines like the New Yorker. I've actually read some outstanding books that the New Yorker recommended in the past couple of years. But I mostly visit their website because I love reading the Borowitz Report. I think Andy Borowitz is one of the funniest people in America. That was why I was REALLY surprised when Tom King's, Gabriel Walta's and Jordie Bellaire's Vision was reviewed in that publication. To me it showed that Vision had made it to the "big leagues":

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page...0baked%20goods.

Hey @thesteveorlando & @CianTormey, I was wondering if we could hope to see Darkhold now that Wandavision has a release date which could trigger a few orders ? Or is it among the editorial cuts? Dedos cruzados

The Comic Artist Cian Tormey responded: Hey Emmanuel, thanks for asking! Its definitely not cancelled, it has just been pushed back a little. But things are looking good, and as soon as we have something to share, trust me - we will be talking about it!

Link of the tweet:

https://twitter.com/CianTormey/statu...262208001?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Well, due to my long absence from Marvel Comics and most things "nerd" and "geek" related, I had to rely on "mainstream" publications to help me understand the movies and catch up on the new comic book stories of the 21st century. Websites like Vox helped me immensely.

Yeah well they did not research enough. The fact that they'd even mention Wasp, when Marvel has never given her a solo, took away her contributions to the Avengers and given them to other characters, shows what they don't know. Because Wasp being the one to name the team was given to Voyager. Her founder status is hardly mentioned and sometimes written out. Same with her funding the team and leading the team. She's been made pretty much non-existent in exchange for FotM characters. And that's the problem with Marvel. It always tries to push characters onto readers, instead of letting readers decide who they like.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Hey @thesteveorlando & @CianTormey, I was wondering if we could hope to see Darkhold now that Wandavision has a release date which could trigger a few orders ? Or is it among the editorial cuts? Dedos cruzados

The Comic Artist Cian Tormey responded: Hey Emmanuel, thanks for asking! Its definitely not cancelled, it has just been pushed back a little. But things are looking good, and as soon as we have something to share, trust me - we will be talking about it!

Link of the tweet:

https://twitter.com/CianTormey/statu...262208001?s=20
    Good grief. Now your secret identity has been revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah well they did not research enough. The fact that they'd even mention Wasp, when Marvel has never given her a solo, took away her contributions to the Avengers and given them to other characters, shows what they don't know. Because Wasp being the one to name the team was given to Voyager. Her founder status is hardly mentioned and sometimes written out. Same with her funding the team and leading the team. She's been made pretty much non-existent in exchange for FotM characters. And that's the problem with Marvel. It always tries to push characters onto readers, instead of letting readers decide who they like.
    To be fair, the articles are over five years old. I was not aware that it's been established that Janet did not give the Avengers their name! It's an absolute travesty they're removing that fact from the books. Why on earth would Marvel Comics do that? They must hate nostalgia so much. I'm hoping she gets her due in the next Ant-Man movie.

Astonishing Member

I think a huge reason that I don't like Marvel books these days is that they give more credence to the films than they do to their own history. I think the films were fine for what they were, but I still prefer the original source material.

Extraordinary Member

I knew Vox for its political-related videos, but damn, they did a great job on this, it's better than the majority of other articles simply because it actually listed her different phases of history, far from a complete one but still far more detailed than the "OHHHH, look at HoM!" type of stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Good grief. Now your secret identity has been revealed!
    Well, I remember that one time I and GenericUsername kind find out each other on Twitter due to some obvious talk points and speech patterns we have.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, I remember that one time I and GenericUsername kind find out each other on Twitter due to some obvious talk points and speech patterns we have.
    Yeah, people talk the same everywhere!

I knew Vox for its political-related videos, but damn, they did a great job on this, it's better than the majority of other articles simply because it actually listed her different phases of history, far from a complete one but still far more detailed than the "OHHHH, look at HoM!" type of stuff.
    Yeah, I agree. I think it's good to look at non-comic related publications to see how they describe comic book characters. Because they give a more holistic and wide-ranging perspective than sites like this one. But then again, I like to read articles from the New Yorker, the Atlantic and BuzzFeed every now and then so I can pretend to sound like a sophisticated and erudite person. They do cover comic books on a sporadic basis. I doubt readers on this thread would be interested in the non-superhero stuff they talk about though (with you and I being the possible exceptions).

I recently visited a video game website, GameSpot, and they gave a couple of great descriptions of both Wanda Maximoff and the Vision.

Wanda:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wa...CAD-01-10abi2f

They did a video for the Vision:

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/visi...GSS-05-10aac1i

These two sources made me all the more happy that the MCU streamlined the origins of both the Scarlet Witch and the Vision. Their comic book stories are just too complicated and insane in some parts for them to be adapted on either the big and/or small screens.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 11-24-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Paul Bettany basically doing all the promo lol
    starts talking about Wandavision at minute 1:56

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think a huge reason that I don't like Marvel books these days is that they give more credence to the films than they do to their own history. I think the films were fine for what they were, but I still prefer the original source material.
    Depends on the source material, really.

Ha, yeah that was pretty amusing.