Page 203 of 228 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 3415
  1. #3031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Unless we count Bendis's lame explanation during AD, Chaos Magic doesn't exists! It's just her mutant power!
    Ugh! Yeah such crap. I hope the Bendis stuff stays an easter egg.
    Was Curlytop

  2. #3032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In the comics, it would be neat if Magda (or whoever Wanda's mom was, this week), turned out to be someone with some secret significance. (In WW2, a 'witch' helped the allies stop Thule cultists from tapping into (and inadvertently releasing, in their ignorance) the power of the bound demon-god Chthon under Wundagore Mountain. Decades later, her (great?) grand-daughter is an Avenger!)
    I'm still not a fan of the inherited magic in a Romani family thing. As it's completely inaccurate and pretty offensive. So I feel they should let go of that. Wanda has her natural abilities and years of teachings. She doesn't even need that. Her moms can be regular women. And likely if they keep them Romani (Magda was Sinti, and Natalya and Marya Roma) they would not approve of the use of magic like that.
    Was Curlytop

  3. #3033
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Well, personally I always think Django's story is good enough, he is pretty much the ordinary loving dad who can show great amount of courage if necessary.
    They should add the same amount of layers to Marya, maybe just some small stuff about Wanda's early childhood, they don't really need to be involved in magic.

    The Maximoffs are that mix of the kind adoptive parents and tragic dead parents.(You don't get more classic than those two types, I mean the Superman type and the Batman type.)
    Honestly I don't think Wanda's parents need to be anything more, Wanda could as well just be one super unlucky girl simply born at the wrong place and wrong time.

  4. #3034
    Ultimate Member juan678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    19,660

    Default

    Wakanda Files book


    HYDRA specifically chose Sokovia for its experiments because many of its citizens possessed "genetic abnormalities," making the Sokovians the perfect candidates to be tested with the Loki scepter and the Mind Stone.

    Shuri


    "The Stone similarly transformed his nervous system, but ionized and charged him in a way that gave him extraordinary ability. The neural-electrical interface allows you to create bursts of extreme energy using only your mind and the tips of your fingers. Manipulating this energy allows for his short bursts of levitation, plus an amazing weapon that only requires his bare hands.

    What's seductive is how Wanda's nervous system has also unlocked the potential for telekinesis. These are not parlor tricks; it's not just bending spoons. She can manipulate minds and plant suggestive thoughts, even improve pre-existing paranoias. She can see inside the mind of a human, find out what they fear and what will motivate them."

  5. #3035
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Oh, I totally forgot about Ross and Betty! Good catch. I wouldn't mind seeing that father-daughter dynamic because it DOES play a HUGE role in many Hulk stories. Thank you for sharing with me future father-son-daughter conflicts that could arise in Phase 4. I just think the daddy issue stuff is a bit redundant and overplayed in the MCU. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a strong MATERNAL influence on the characters to be quite honest. But I'm not familiar enough with Marvel Comics to know if that happens a lot in the books. Again, thanks for the heads-up dude.
    Possibly see a strong maternal influence with Ms. Marvel show.

  6. #3036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Wakanda Files book


    HYDRA specifically chose Sokovia for its experiments because many of its citizens possessed "genetic abnormalities," making the Sokovians the perfect candidates to be tested with the Loki scepter and the Mind Stone.

    Shuri


    "The Stone similarly transformed his nervous system, but ionized and charged him in a way that gave him extraordinary ability. The neural-electrical interface allows you to create bursts of extreme energy using only your mind and the tips of your fingers. Manipulating this energy allows for his short bursts of levitation, plus an amazing weapon that only requires his bare hands.

    What's seductive is how Wanda's nervous system has also unlocked the potential for telekinesis. These are not parlor tricks; it's not just bending spoons. She can manipulate minds and plant suggestive thoughts, even improve pre-existing paranoias. She can see inside the mind of a human, find out what they fear and what will motivate them."
    That's definitely old stuff because they stopped using that.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 10-24-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    Was Curlytop

  7. #3037
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    That's definitely old stuff because they stoppedusing that.
    and yet the book was only released last week 20th October. Of course they books then to encompass as much as they can.

    Still seeing the words genetic abnormalities reminds me of Simon Furman's use of the words genetic quirk to (badly) hide the fact that some of his Neo-Knights were mutants
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Author of "The Saga of the Déise"

  8. #3038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    and yet the book was only released last week 20th October. Of course they books then to encompass as much as they can.

    Still seeing the words genetic abnormalities reminds me of Simon Furman's use of the words genetic quirk to (badly) hide the fact that some of his Neo-Knights were mutants
    Books can be written months to years before they are published. And also can collect old and new information. Books aren't as updated as the internet.
    Was Curlytop

  9. #3039
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It's kind of weird how the General Ross / Betsy thing has lain fallow so long that when people think of a super-hero girlfriend and her General dad who hates the hero, they think of Lois and General Lane these days.



    That would indeed be neat. Just sidestep entirely the Magneto-dad can of worms and have a character more defined by their connection to their mother.

    In the comics, it would be neat if Magda (or whoever Wanda's mom was, this week), turned out to be someone with some secret significance. (In WW2, a 'witch' helped the allies stop Thule cultists from tapping into (and inadvertently releasing, in their ignorance) the power of the bound demon-god Chthon under Wundagore Mountain. Decades later, her (great?) grand-daughter is an Avenger!)
    I definitely hope Marvel Studios introduces the General Ross/Betty Ross dynamic. It would make for some compelling storytelling. I don't mind the daddy issues between them because it would do a great job of fleshing out Banner's character. I think the movies focused a lot of their attention on Iron Man, Captain America and Thor to the detriment of characters like the Hulk. I absolutely believe that the Hulk will be somehow "redeemed" in the She-Hulk series.

    I don't know what's Wanda's relationship with her mother in the current comic books. All I know is that her mom was flattened by Stark Industry missiles in the movies. I'm interested to see how the MCU handles her relationship with HER twins. I think it will be really different from the comics. Why do the reincarnation arc when the boys are being aged up in the show? I think in this case it would be better for Disney to pull away from the original source material. As I've said MANY times before, I applaud the MCU when they change things from the books if they make the movies better. I like how the Mind Stone is so important to Wanda's and Vision's relationship in the films and shows. Adding stolen brain patterns is, in my opinion, FAR too complicated an origin story for Vision (for his onscreen version).

  10. #3040
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    No it's not time to change Wanda's personality. It's completely ok for characters to have different personalities and not everyone needs to be snarky or humorous. I don't like the everyone is snarky thing in the MCU. When everyone has the same personality, it becomes boring. I much prefer to see different personalities together to see how they interact. Pietro turned into a jerk right before he disappeared and ended up with Crystal. PAD helped reform the character quite a bit many moons ago.

    We don't know yet if these twins in the show are Wiccan and Speed or if they are doing like comics did. Where these children aren't really there but their spirits are transplanted into Wiccan and Speed. I think it is reasonable to assume they will be there eventually though, because everything seems to be building up to YA.

    SWORD doesn't have to be the one to build Vision if it comes to that again. The MCU has scientists as well. And still has Bruce, Shuri and Hank.
    As you well know, I am fully supportive of the efforts to make Marvel characters as funny and humorous as possible. I can never be bored when I'm laughing. And I doubt you can be too. I do think Marvel Studios goes overboard with their jokes a lot of the times, but many fans watch the films because they are so amusing. Just as long as the interactions between the characters is natural, I'm okay with the humor. When asked who's funnier, Wanda or Vision, Olsen did say it was about "fifty-fifty" according to the scripts. Sometimes I feel that Wanda and Vision can act like sticks in the mud. Jarvis was so witty and quippy that I was REALLY disappointed his personality wasn't transferred to Vision's. Wanda can be pretty emo at times too. I think this series will try to balance the drama and the comedy as best it can.

    Look at the first Dr. Strange movie. It was MUCH funnier than I anticipated:

    I thought it was extremely amusing when Baron Mordo hands Stephen Strange a slip of paper that reads “shamballa”, and Strange asks, “what’s this, my mantra?” Before closing the doors on him, Mordo says, “the wifi password! We’re not savages,” the joke being that the mind-bending warriors still want to check their Twitter feeds – and also that Buddhists and Hindus who use mantras are “savages”. Or, maybe, people who don’t use wifi are savages.

    I know some folks felt it was aggressively naive for a movie already tinged with insensitivity about race and culture to end its big Comic-Con trailer on a joke about “savages”. To me, I just thought it was politically incorrect fun. And it WAS remedied when Strange finally understood that his ignorance and prejudices were misplaced by the end of the film. I like it when people grow in movies and life. When I was a kid, I didn't think twice about using words like "retards" and "midgets". But nowadays I don't say those words because they are hurtful. I wish I didn't when I was younger, but I had to go through some life lessons before got around to being the person I am now. Although it's debatable to say that I'm a saintly and virtuous person presently.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 10-24-2020 at 05:06 PM.

  11. #3041
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Possibly see a strong maternal influence with Ms. Marvel show.
    Looking forward to it!

  12. #3042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    As you well know, I am fully supportive of the efforts to make Marvel characters as funny and humorous as possible. I can never be bored when I'm laughing. And I doubt you can be too. I do think Marvel Studios goes overboard with their jokes a lot of the times, but many fans watch the films because they are so amusing. Just as long as the interactions between the characters is natural, I'm okay with the humor. When asked who's funnier, Wanda or Vision, Olsen did say it was about "fifty-fifty" according to the scripts. Sometimes I feel that Wanda and Vision can act like sticks in the mud. Jarvis was so witty and quippy that I was REALLY disappointed his personality wasn't transferred to Vision's. Wanda can be pretty emo at times too. I think this series will try to balance the drama and the comedy as best it can.

    Look at the first Dr. Strange movie. It was MUCH funnier than I anticipated:

    I thought it was extremely amusing when Baron Mordo hands Stephen Strange a slip of paper that reads “shamballa”, and Strange asks, “what’s this, my mantra?” Before closing the doors on him, Mordo says, “the wifi password! We’re not savages,” the joke being that the mind-bending warriors still want to check their Twitter feeds – and also that Buddhists and Hindus who use mantras are “savages”. Or, maybe, people who don’t use wifi are savages.

    I know some folks felt it was aggressively naive for a movie already tinged with insensitivity about race and culture to end its big Comic-Con trailer on a joke about “savages”. To me, I just thought it was politically incorrect fun. And it WAS remedied when Strange finally understood that his arrogance and prejudices were misplaced by the end of the film. I like it when people grow in movies and life. When I was a kid, I didn't think twice about using words like "retards" and "midgets". But nowadays I don't say those words because they are hurtful. I wish I didn't when I was younger, but I had to go through some life lessons before got around to being the person I am now. Although it's debatable to say that I'm a saintly and virtuous person presently.
    But I am bored when everyone is the same. That's literally what I stated before. Everyone having the same personality is boring. Wanda told the occasional, rare dry joke, but hardly was a jokester. I'm fine with that.

    Overall I liked Strange's movie. The choice of the Ancient One is still very weird to me, and I feel it was only changed for China. I didn't like the Dormammu stuff that much. The meme is fine, he just wasn't done well. And like most villains, has zero back story.
    Was Curlytop

  13. #3043
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    But I am bored when everyone is the same. That's literally what I stated before. Everyone having the same personality is boring. Wanda told the occasional, rare dry joke, but hardly was a jokester. I'm fine with that.

    Overall I liked Strange's movie. The choice of the Ancient One is still very weird to me, and I feel it was only changed for China. I didn't like the Dormammu stuff that much. The meme is fine, he just wasn't done well. And like most villains, has zero back story.
    I see your point. But if the characters are making me laugh, I almost forget that they basically have the same personality. I mean, I consider Dr. Strange to basically be a magical version of Iron Man. A jerk who gains redemption by eventually becoming a heroic person. I don't mind the formula, because it works. Dr. Strange is more popular than ever right now and I wouldn't have been able to say the same thing four years ago when he debuted. And I think he's gained in popularity because him and Wong are basically joke machines as well sorcerers. I believe the only "serious" male superheroes right now in the MCU are Black Panther, Captain America and Vision. I DO think Vision will provide some comic relief in Wanda's show. And I'm totally okay with that. If WandaVision borrows some themes from the Vision mini-series, then I suspect it will be tense and unsettling in parts. One way to alleviate that tension is through the use of humor. So I don't believe it's a bad thing that Wanda might be funny. And as I've said MANY times before, there's literally NO funny female characters in the MCU right now. I wouldn't mind Wanda being the first. In that sense, she WOULDN'T be the same when compared to her female counterparts.

    It's been stated that "the primary conflict of the Tom King's Vision comes from inside the protagonists themselves. It’s hidden from reader and character at first, but the wound’s presence can be felt like gravity, an inexorable pull coming from deep in each character’s past, from the unseen light they lead before the book began. Each character carries with them a trauma or shame which only fully reveals itself through time." I'm not familiar with King's work outside of the Vision, but I've heard that they possess a common theme: "The core conflict of every Tom King book is “protagonist vs. self.” Sure, there are mysteries and intrigue. There are gunfights and space battles. When these appear they are always fun, but they seem somehow incidental." I don't know if WandaVision will follow this road, but I think it would be AMAZING if they did. I'm not even sure that the majority of the series will be a traditional superhero story. I think that kind of storytelling HAS to be balanced with humor or things will get too heavy. I don't care if the humor is "cringey" either. As long as it's being done to be INTENTIONALLY amusing. I HATED the "cringey" dialogue from the Star Wars and/or Sony Spider-Man movies because it was meant to be taken seriously and sincerely. Like who the fuck thought that quotes like this should be spoken on screen?:

    "You are so beautiful" "It's only because I'm so in love" "No it's because I'm so in love with you" "So love has blinded you?" That's Lifetime movie dialogue!

    And don't even get me started with the whole idiotic "on-and-off, back-and-forth, will they, won't they" nature of the relationships between Gwen Stacy/Mary Jane Watson and Peter Parker in the Sony Spider-Man flicks. Now THAT'S what I consider to be BORING. The whole Wanda and Vision romantic thing was rushed as hell, but it wasn't THAT corny.

  14. #3044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I see your point. But if the characters are making me laugh, I almost forget that they basically have the same personality. I mean, I consider Dr. Strange to basically be a magical version of Iron Man. A jerk who gains redemption by eventually becoming a heroic person. I don't mind the formula, because it works. Dr. Strange is more popular than ever right now and I wouldn't have been able to say the same thing four years ago when he debuted. And I think he's gained in popularity because him and Wong are basically joke machines as well sorcerers. I believe the only "serious" male superheroes right now in the MCU are Black Panther, Captain America and Vision. I DO think Vision will provide some comic relief in Wanda's show. And I'm totally okay with that. If WandaVision borrows some themes from the Vision mini-series, then I suspect it will be tense and unsettling in parts. One way to alleviate that tension is through the use of humor. So I don't believe it's a bad thing that Wanda might be funny. And as I've said MANY times before, there's literally NO funny female characters in the MCU right now. I wouldn't mind Wanda being the first. In that sense, she WOULDN'T be the same when compared to her female counterparts.

    It's been stated that "the primary conflict of the Tom King's Vision comes from inside the protagonists themselves. It’s hidden from reader and character at first, but the wound’s presence can be felt like gravity, an inexorable pull coming from deep in each character’s past, from the unseen light they lead before the book began. Each character carries with them a trauma or shame which only fully reveals itself through time." I'm not familiar with King's work outside of the Vision, but I've heard that they possess a common theme: "The core conflict of every Tom King book is “protagonist vs. self.” Sure, there are mysteries and intrigue. There are gunfights and space battles. When these appear they are always fun, but they seem somehow incidental." I don't know if WandaVision will follow this road, but I think it would be AMAZING if they did. I'm not even sure that the majority of the series will be a traditional superhero story. I think that kind of storytelling HAS to be balanced with humor or things will get too heavy. I don't care if the humor is "cringey" either. As long as it's being done to be INTENTIONALLY amusing. I HATED the "cringey" dialogue from the Star Wars and/or Sony Spider-Man movies because it was meant to be taken seriously and sincerely. Like who the fuck thought that quotes like this should be spoken on screen?:

    "You are so beautiful" "It's only because I'm so in love" "No it's because I'm so in love with you" "So love has blinded you?" That's Lifetime movie dialogue!

    And don't even get me started with the whole idiotic "on-and-off, back-and-forth, will they, won't they" nature of the relationships between Gwen Stacy/Mary Jane Watson and Peter Parker in the Sony Spider-Man flicks. Now THAT'S what I consider to be BORING. The whole Wanda and Vision romantic thing was rushed as hell, but it wasn't THAT corny.
    But that's the problem with that. Because Doctor Strange is not Tony. They should not be interchangeable. That is a failure of establishing character types. Even comedy itself has the straight man/oaf comedy guy going all the way back to the earliest comedy routines. There is a lot of value in having different characters play off each other. It worked for Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.

    I do mind that Wanda is changed. When you have Shulkie coming in that was the fourth wall breaker. You also have Mantis who is pretty silly in this universe. Valkyrie who is also made into comedy relief. As the world expands and more female characters come in, the same that happened to the male characters would be true for female characters. They've only just started getting them into the universe in any sort of way. Black Panther movie, and GotG has created some relationships between women. But most don't even really communicate with each other.

    I don't know that Wanda and Vision are really rushed. They've only really just started dating. No marriage just yet. But hopefully that happens and is real. They will definitely get more development than movie couples, just based on the amount of time given to shows over movies.

    Also, want to add that Avengers lost some of their fun dynamic by excluding Janet Van Dyne and changing Hawkeye. The movies took out a lot of variety in the ranks.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 10-24-2020 at 08:15 PM.
    Was Curlytop

  15. #3045
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    But I am bored when everyone is the same. That's literally what I stated before. Everyone having the same personality is boring. Wanda told the occasional, rare dry joke, but hardly was a jokester. I'm fine with that.

    Overall I liked Strange's movie. The choice of the Ancient One is still very weird to me, and I feel it was only changed for China. I didn't like the Dormammu stuff that much. The meme is fine, he just wasn't done well. And like most villains, has zero back story.
    Dorm's description makes him feel Shuma-Gorath instead, I mean devouring Universes and all that.
    I kinda like how Stephen outwit Dorm instead of brute forcing his way, there is still chances to build up the Faltine lore in later DS movies, like along with the introduction of Clea and Umar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •