Page 199 of 271 FirstFirst ... 99149189195196197198199200201202203209249 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 4051

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Hank and Wanda are definitely Marvel's biggest victims, regarding writing mental disorders
    Funny that you mention Hank and Wanda together. I was reading through a recent Gizmodo article which described how Wanda is fast becoming known for being a superhero who fucks up a LOT:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-scarlet-...bit-1844474545

The comments section were particularly interesting:

"I kind of feel like they are trying to make Wanda into a female version of Henry Pym, who can always be counted on to do something mind-bogglingly stupid for the best reasons."

AND

"Quite honestly, Marvel has spent many years turning Wanda into The Fucking Worst. Her track record for being possessed, going insane, turning evil, and nearly destroying the world is truly off the charts. Rivaled at Marvel only by, as you say, Hank “I created Ultron” Pym and Hank “I experiment on myself” McCoy.

The worst part is that every time someone -finally- manages to put Wanda back together with any degree of success (as per the recent Uncanny Avengers run and her own solo series), someone else promptly throws her against a wall. And now... millions of mutant zombies. I don’t know if they’re the contagious type, but regardless, she’s fucked up again on a spectacular level. And given the way mutants hate her -already-, I don’t see them being too terribly understanding or forgiving."

I'm actually a little bit worried how Wanda will be portrayed after WandaVision. She'll probably do some bad **** unintentionally in the series, and in following movies and shows male characters will probably mansplain to her exactly where she went wrong.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 10-21-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Ahhh can't wait really, just so I can get this over with. So far Hickman's take on her ranges from meh to straight up offensive.
    Honestly I don't see any meaningful outcome out of this, I would rather her stayed viliefied by the mutants than appearing dumb as F.
    And I don't give a **** about mutant-made mythos about her, it can stay just don't drag her into it again.
    I really hope they don't drag Wanda back into the mutant world (at least in the MCU):

https://screenrant.com/mcu-quicksilv...int-explained/

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I really hope they don't drag Wanda back into the mutant world (at least in the MCU):

https://screenrant.com/mcu-quicksilv...int-explained/
    Quicksilver deserves to be a mutant again because that's always been a huge aspect of the character and the quality of his writing has really gone down since the retcon. But I do admit that Marvel has really ruined any chance of improving Wanda's relationship with mutants so bringing her back into the X-books won't do Wanda or mutants or X-fans or Wanda's fans any good

Also, as you have often pointed out, Wanda never really had a connection with teams of mutant heroes, or mutantkind in general

Quicksilver deserves to be a mutant again because that's always been a huge aspect of the character and the quality of his writing has really gone down since the retcon. But I do admit that Marvel has really ruined any chance of improving Wanda's relationship with mutants so bringing her back into the X-books won't do Wanda or mutants or X-fans or Wanda's fans any good

Also, as you have often pointed out, Wanda never really had a connection with teams of mutant heroes, or mutantkind in general
    You know what, I do agree with you on Pietro. I do think that mutant stuff is important to his character. I just think it will be hard to retcon just ONE of the siblings. They're not just brother and sister, but TWINS. In the MCU it doesn't matter because Quicksilver is dead as Wanda's original accent and I think he will remain that way. It's the comic books that might go in a different direction. Wanda never had much to do with mutants when I read her more than twenty years ago. That's why I was very surprised that she referred to Magneto as her "daddy" in that House of M story. They were NEVER that close before. I still think they should kill this version of Wanda and replace her with a new one from another universe. The whole missing/dead children thing was so poorly planned out. It led to over a decade of drama and much destruction, but ended up with the Scarlet Witch and Vision basically having NO relationship with Speed and Wiccan. In my personal opinion, I think Wanda WILL have a biological relationship with Billy and Tommy in the movies and shows in the future. It will be VERY weird for her to have kids so close to her in age. At least Scott and Hope and Tony and Pepper are "appropriately aged" parents when it comes to THEIR kids.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 10-21-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    It is possible that someone has created this world and making Wanda think she is in control of it, so she would accept it more
    I will find it extremely amusing if Mephisto (who I think will be the main antagonist of this show) is behind this fake sitcom world, still finds the time to watch Father Knows Best and Three's Company in order to create it when he's not trying to acquire souls and conquer worlds. I just don't understand the idea of Wanda loving American sitcoms while growing up in Sokovia. It's not exactly a liberal democracy with a free press. I figure the Sokovian government would disapprove of American cultural influence in their country and it appeared they were pretty anti-American in Age of Ultron.

You know what, I do agree with you on Pietro. I do think that mutant stuff is important to his character. I just think it will be hard to retcon just ONE of the siblings. They're not just brother and sister, but TWINS. In the MCU it doesn't matter because Quicksilver is dead as Wanda's original accent and I think he will remain that way. It's the comic books that might go in a different direction. Wanda never had much to do with mutants when I read her more than twenty years ago. That's why I was very surprised that she referred to Magneto as her "daddy" in that House of M story. They were NEVER that close before. I still think they should kill this version of Wanda and replace her with a new one from another universe. The whole missing/dead children thing was so poorly planned out. It led to over a decade of drama and much destruction, but ended up with the Scarlet Witch and Vision basically having NO relationship with Speed and Wiccan. In my personal opinion, I think Wanda WILL have a biological relationship with Billy and Tommy in the movies and shows in the future. It will be VERY weird for her to have kids so close to her in age. At least Scott and Hope and Tony and Pepper are "appropriately aged" parents when it comes to THEIR kids.
    Twins aren't exact in everything. Wanda and Pietro are fraternal twins anyways. There can be one that is a mutant and one that is not.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Twins aren't exact in everything. Wanda and Pietro are fraternal twins anyways. There can be one that is a mutant and one that is not.
    That's absolutely true. But I think Marvel Comics believes Wanda and Pietro are like two peas in a pod. Similar and together in pretty much every way. I personally wouldn't mind a split myself. Not sure if Marvel will go that route. I think you could say that both Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch do share similarities when it comes to mental illness. I think the MCU will try to deal with this issue with an EXTREMELY light touch. Ten years ago they wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole. The Iron Man movies didn't even address the whole "Demon in a Bottle" story because Disney was afraid it would be too dark. That's why I'm really surprised Marvel Studios is gonna tackle the whole Jane Thor cancer storyline. On paper it sounds pretty grim, but Natalie Portman just said that Thor: Love and Thunder is "gonna be really silly, and funny, and great." And that's AFTER the late, great Chadwick Boseman died of colon cancer. So I doubt that WandaVision will be any different. Disney/Marvel Studios don't appear to take things like substance abuse, mental illness and even cancer all that seriously in my view. Better to water things down with lots of jokes. And I'm TOTALLY okay with that. I don't think there should be any grimdark storytelling in the MCU because lots of kids are watching.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 10-21-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I will find it extremely amusing if Mephisto (who I think will be the main antagonist of this show) is behind this fake sitcom world, still finds the time to watch Father Knows Best and Three's Company in order to create it when he's not trying to acquire souls and conquer worlds. I just don't understand the idea of Wanda loving American sitcoms while growing up in Sokovia. It's not exactly a liberal democracy with a free press. I figure the Sokovian government would disapprove of American cultural influence in their country and it appeared they were pretty anti-American in Age of Ultron.
    Ah, not Mephisto, he is not really that interesting or unique to Wanda. He is just the go to villain for family issues, namely divorce.

Extraordinary Member

In the HoM reality it's exactly the case, Wanda is a regular human while Pietro is still a mutant.

That's absolutely true. But I think Marvel Comics believes Wanda and Pietro are like two peas in a pod. Similar and together in pretty much every way. I personally wouldn't mind a split myself. Not sure if Marvel will go that route. I think you could say that both Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch do share similarities when it comes to mental illness. I think the MCU will try to deal with this issue with an EXTREMELY light touch. Ten years ago they wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole. The Iron Man movies didn't even address the whole "Demon in a Bottle" story because Disney was afraid it would be too dark. That's why I'm really surprised Marvel Studios is gonna tackle the whole Jane Thor cancer storyline. On paper it sounds pretty grim, but Natalie Portman just said that Thor: Love and Thunder is "gonna be really silly, and funny, and great." And that's AFTER the late, great Chadwick Boseman died of colon cancer. So I doubt that WandaVision will be any different. Disney/Marvel Studios don't appear to take things like substance abuse, mental illness and even cancer all that seriously in my view. Better to water things down with lots of jokes. And I'm TOTALLY okay with that. I don't think there should be any grimdark storytelling in the MCU because lots of kids are watching.
    I don't think they do. Because they don't put them anywhere near each other and haven't for a long time in comics, and he died so fast in movies. And they've never made them similar... like Pietro was always the hot tempered and arrogant one, and Wanda wasn't like that for most of her existence. She can get mad for sure, but was way more friendly and down to earth approachable than Pietro.

They also didn't share the mental illness thing. Neither really has been officially diagnosed as such. Wanda just with depression recently. Most of Wanda's stuff is attributed to possession. Pietro was never even really depicted as such. He's just angry and can act foolish.

Well Jane's cancer wasn't done well in the comics, so I'm not surprised that it might not be handled well in the MCU (especially if they just adapt it).

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I don't think they do. Because they don't put them anywhere near each other and haven't for a long time in comics, and he died so fast in movies. And they've never made them similar... like Pietro was always the hot tempered and arrogant one, and Wanda wasn't like that for most of her existence. She can get mad for sure, but was way more friendly and down to earth approachable than Pietro.

They also didn't share the mental illness thing. Neither really has been officially diagnosed as such. Wanda just with depression recently. Most of Wanda's stuff is attributed to possession. Pietro was never even really depicted as such. He's just angry and can act foolish.
    Pietro did get mind controlled by Maximus and went nuts and evil. Put in general Marvel do try to show that the twins are individuals

I'm thinking it's more likely to be Nightmare, given he was rumoured to be the main villain of Dr. Strange 2. Though hopefully the villain for WandaVision might be Mordred the Mystic, which would lead to CHthon

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Pietro did get mind controlled by Maximus and went nuts and evil. Put in general Marvel do try to show that the twins are individuals
    Yeah but that is mind control. Mental illness is not mind control.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quicksilver deserves to be a mutant again because that's always been a huge aspect of the character and the quality of his writing has really gone down since the retcon.
    That's debatable. I'd argue his time on the latest Uncanny Avengers and Quicksilver: No Surrender were better written than House Of M and Son Of M, which milked his mutant/son of Magneto status to the bone, much to his own detriment. Stepping out of Magneto's shadow and his daddy issues for once was not all that bad for the character. I take the Pietro who seemed genuinely happy and ready to move on with his life on the beginning of Duggan's Uncanny Avengers over junkie Pietro who pumped his own daughter with terrigen because he was obsessed with being a mutant. Good or bad writing is not dependent on a character being a mutant or not.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 10-22-2020 at 02:05 AM.