Page 104 of 144 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2146
  1. #1546
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Don't worry you did nothing wrong.
    Agreed, anyone is welcome in a character appreciation thread as long as they don't trash the character there. (Trashing them anywhere else is fair game.)

  2. #1547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I was just exaggerating about Wanda using profanity and getting into it with Vision. But I have no problem having them fight in their show. Pretty much all couples do it, and it's a natural thing (even between a witch and an android). Sitcoms love that kind of conflict. I think the writers will treat Wanda just fine on Disney+. Jac Schaeffer doesn't look like she would be interested in accepting ANY ideas from Byrne and Bendis in her work. It would go totally against her previous comments about making "big, positive statements." She even stated how excited she was about working on female-centred stories, so I have high confidence in how the show will portray the Scarlet Witch. She explicitly mentioned that she was not interested in adhering to comic canon that is discriminatory in any way or that violates her values systems (a lot of fanboys vocally objected to these sentiments apparently). I'm actually a little bit surprised that you don't seem to have as much confidence in Schaeffer as I do, to tell you the truth.

    I guess we look at things different. I just get the sense that the whole Wakanda salute stuff wearies Boseman and he is more interested in doing indie projects. I feel like he is a little bit overwhelmed with the whole Black Panther phenomenon. And he recently lost a LOT of weight. In his press conferences he comes off as really reticent and reserved, unlike Bettany and Olsen who are bubbly and funny. Doesn't mean he's not enjoying himself, but his statements about not wanting to do any Disney+ projects and that of all the things he was excited about doing in the future, none of them included franchises shows a certain lack of interest to me in his Marvel endeavors. Maybe I'm way off base, but that's my feeling.

    I thoroughly enjoy serious dramas by the way! I'd say a decent majority of the stuff I watch today are documentaries on PBS and often times the subjects they cover are not pleasant ones. In fact, some of them are downright sad. But I like them because I learn a lot from them. I just think superhero movies should be more lighter in nature. I watch the MCU ones because they have a good blend of action/adventure, comedy, special effects and heartfelt moments. And it's easy to watch them many times over. I mean, you literally can NOT have a bad time watching those old pre-MCU Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies because of their cheesy campiness. Whereas I couldn't stand watching the Amazing Spider-Man movies because of their total lack of humor and complete absence of any sign of life (they almost killed my interest in Spider-Man to be honest). But that's because the writing, editing and pacing sucked in them. So I say dark themes can work very well in dramas which I often like. It's when they try to go gritty in superhero films, I usually lose all interest. Because they usually go overboard with that stuff. Even the Batman/Joker stuff of the past fifteen years seem like dramas to me with some superhero elements. And those kinds of movies, in my view, can often lead to OVERACTING, which is REALLY annoying. You don't get that kind of thing in the MCU which I like.
    For me it depends on the superhero or comic related movie. If it fits the character, group, etc. I'm fine with it. My problems with some of the DC movies have been that they are unorganized plot wise.
    Was Curlytop

  3. #1548
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    For me it depends on the superhero or comic related movie. If it fits the character, group, etc. I'm fine with it. My problems with some of the DC movies have been that they are unorganized plot wise.
    The DC movies are completely a mess a lot of the times. And that's largely because of the writing and direction as you said. But the DC ANIMATED movies are fantastic. I always wonder, why doesn't Warner Brothers just adapt the cartoons into live-action films? I think that would be great!

  4. #1549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    The DC movies are completely a mess a lot of the times. And that's largely because of the writing and direction as you said. But the DC ANIMATED movies are fantastic. I always wonder, why doesn't Warner Brothers just adapt the cartoons into live-action films? I think that would be great!
    I love the animated movies as well. They definitely have a better handle on things there.
    Was Curlytop

  5. #1550
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I love the animated movies as well. They definitely have a better handle on things there.
    WB is sitting on a goldmine (animated films), but they aren't doing anything with it. I do think DC is getting better with their movies though. But I like Marvel's approach of making six-hour movies. It gives their characters a chance to breathe.

  6. #1551
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    She is kind of a bad mom in all fairness. Reservations about the kids aside, it's really bad that they had her go through all this shit due to losing her kids. Their back in a way she claims them and barely talks to them, the writing for her as a mother is terrible, hopefully when WandaVision comes out and the inevitable mini comic to go with it she spends more time with her kids Vision too.
    You make it sound like Wanda dumped them as kids because they were too much to handle and then 20 years later decided she wants to be a mom again and pretends like nothing happened. That totally isn't the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Billy and Tommy are not her real kids. They are someone else's. They just got her kids' soul implants so it's a weird situation.

    She she's not there because they aren't really her's. Her sons are still dead.
    Umm no, that's not even remotely true. Wanda herself confirmed Billy and Tommy were her kids and Billy calls her mom.

  7. #1552
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    The actors kinda explained imo, from what i understand, the sitcom scenes will be comedic but there will be moments when Vision glitzes or weird things happen, or Wanda starts to see what is happening

    And the other half of the series was said to be just like an MCU movie, with the fights and final villain etc
    Yeah the sitcom aspects are probably just going to be a fantasy illusion. I wouldn't call that the real Wanda or Vision at all, more of what she wishes was real or has been ingrained by society to believe should be real.

  8. #1553
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I think movie adaptations which change characters a lot in order to make for better storytelling is perfectly fine in my opinion. I would actually encourage that. These are adaptations, so I'm okay with major alterations in film/television mediums. For the comic books, I have mixed feelings. You want to take successful and popular film adaptations and help make the comics better. But sometimes things get lost in translation. I know Mantis, Star-Lord, and Drax were total badasses in the books, but they are not like that in the pictures. So I get the anger coming from the readers there. I actually don't mind making Wanda and Vision more funny in the books. The two of them have been fucking miserable for over thirty years! So I don't object at all if Vision cooks paprika for Wanda and she goes full Gordon Ramsay on him when it's not up to her standards.

    I think it is hard for exes to reconcile after thirty years apart. A lot has happened since Vision and Wanda broke up. But I still think readers like that pairing the best. They tried to do something with Wanda and Wonder Man, and basically nobody really cared except for some writers at Marvel. Which made me feel a little bit bad for Simon. I'm just happy the movies are portraying the couple in a much more healthier light. It's clear that Feige, Whedon, Markus and McFeely, the Russos and even Waititi like Vision and Wanda a lot and that's really great for us fans of those two. If Byrne, Bendis, Brevoort, and Quesada were running the MCU, Wanda and Vision probably wouldn't even be there.
    I understand everything can't make the jump from the comics to the films so I can see why characters like Drax were underpowered. Although Mantis really has no excuse. But I haven't been a fan of the new Thor at all and I really don't want anything like that to happen to Wanda and Vision, Wanda in particular. She's not a humorous character and she never really has been so it would feel inorganic for that to suddenly be a part of her personality. She shouldn't be wisecracking constantly especially when every other MCU character pretty much does so she'll actually feel more unique if she isn't. As Sutekh said, Elizabeth Olsen has enough range as an actress that she doesn't have to be limited to comedy and she can portray the emotional depth of Wanda in a way that Hemsworth couldn't as Thor. And Bettany is also a very prolific actor so his Vision doesn't need to be revamped. The sitcom aspects will be fun, but like I've said, that won't really be the real Wanda and Vision but an idealized version of them so I don't expect it to last permanently.

    I hope Wanda and Vision get back together after the show comes out. Simon hasn't really ever been very popular so I can see why he never got a push. As much as I like Byrne, I despised what he did to Wanda and Vision and he should have stayed far enough away. It's bad enough he's responsible for the Magneto connection to the Maximoff twins. I also despise Brevoort and Quesada with an unhealthy passion lol for what they did to both Wanda and Jean.

  9. #1554
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    I don't particulary understand the need to escalate when all I did was compliment someone? And my opinions are not welcome in a thread that is meant to apreciate the character, It would be disrespectfull and probably get me rightfully banned as apreciation threads are meant for positive discussion, doesn't mean I can't interact with it on a respectfull fashion and the poster's in it.
    It's just a bit odd when you have made no secret about hating Wanda in literally every other thread so it makes people question your intentions here. I've never seen you post anything about her before that wasn't incredibly negative. And it's mainly the people who frequent the X-Boards who are aware of your attitude towards her, the others here who likely don't go there very often are the ones who haven't had an issue with you because they haven't seen what we've seen you say about Wanda. So it's not about you not being welcome here, it's more a question as to why you would want to be here in the first place. I hope you haven't any nefarious tricks up your sleeves because Wanda fans are very insightful and we can see through your intentions in a second.

  10. #1555
    Astonishing Member Ferro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    2,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    It's just a bit odd when you have made no secret about hating Wanda in literally every other thread so it makes people question your intentions here. I've never seen you post anything about her before that wasn't incredibly negative. And it's mainly the people who frequent the X-Boards who are aware of your attitude towards her, the others here who likely don't go there very often are the ones who haven't had an issue with you because they haven't seen what we've seen you say about Wanda. So it's not about you not being welcome here, it's more a question as to why you would want to be here in the first place. I hope you haven't any nefarious tricks up your sleeves because Wanda fans are very insightful and we can see through your intentions in a second.
    .... okay.....
    I literaly did nothing but compliment Generic who know's i apreciate them, it really isnt a "nefarious trick"
    Last edited by Ferro; 06-21-2020 at 07:07 PM.

  11. #1556

    Default

    It's ok as long as everything stays cool in here. We are just all here to discuss comics. And to have discussion in general. As long as it stay civil, that's cool.
    Was Curlytop

  12. #1557
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Umm no, that's not even remotely true. Wanda herself confirmed Billy and Tommy were her kids and Billy calls her mom.
    She confirmed they were the reincarnations of her kids, but that's not exactly the same thing as them being literally her kids. Issue #8 of her solo series lampshaded how hard it is to explain exactly what their relationship is to her.


  13. #1558
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    She confirmed they were the reincarnations of her kids, but that's not exactly the same thing as them being literally her kids. Issue #8 of her solo series lampshaded how hard it is to explain exactly what their relationship is to her.

    Imo, it was a mistake for her solo series to try and address the discrepancies in Billy and Tommy's ages. With the sliding age scale, it was never going to be feasible that Billy and Tommy would be reborn again when Franklin Richards has been de-aged a dozen times over. And I'm not sure anyone likes the idea of Billy and Thomas' souls killing the two children who lived in those bodies before them. Children's Crusade had the best interpretation where they were straight reincarnations and nothing more. Trying to explain the logistics of it with time travel goes too far.

  14. #1559

    Default

    It's super weird but it's typical of comics. Which take some inspirations from ancient mythology. Which had things like Athena springing from Zeus' head to be born.
    Was Curlytop

  15. #1560
    Mighty Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,722

    Default

    I think writers should use Heinberg initial ideas about Billy and Tommy being adopted by their actual parents while staying full blooded Wanda´s children, that way you just have to explain time travel and it simplifies the relationship between them, it also would explain their appareance Billy is like Wanda while Tommy is like Pietro. I think the WandaVision series will do somethign like this otherwise it will be too convoluted for the MCU.
    "The time for subtlety is passing. Now is the time for change." [New Mutants (Vol. 1) #38]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •