Page 205 of 271 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209215255 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 4051

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    No, he wouldn't. According to marvel time (and interestingly real time) only a few months would have passed from when Clint's debut to when he joined the Avengers. So if he was in his early twenties when he joined the Avengers, he would have been that age when he met Natasha
    No, Marvel time is always 15 years in total and they squish everything together for that. He was still very young before he was on the Avengers and is now no more than 29, because 30 is scary to Marvel. So that time does not move and he becomes older when he became an Avenger. That time just gets squished together very uncomfortably until it makes no sense. Because that's the sliding timescale. And it still includes everything in it, but keeps everyone young. When you start to get into the ages of characters from different generations, it becomes even more messy. So if he's 29, he'd have been 14 when he ran away from home.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 10-26-2020 at 01:38 AM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    No, Marvel time is always 15 years in total and they squish everything together for that. He was still very young before he was on the Avengers and is now no more than 29, because 30 is scary to Marvel. So that time does not move and he becomes older when he became an Avenger. That time just gets squished together very uncomfortably until it makes no sense. Because that's the sliding timescale. And it still includes everything in it, but keeps everyone young. When you start to get into the ages of characters from different generations, it becomes even more messy. So if he's 29, he'd have been 14 when he ran away from home.
    No, it isn't. the sliding timescale as Marvel have official described is one Marvel year is roughly 4-5 years. Therefore, officially there is no age difference (apart from maybe a few months) between Clint becoming Hawkeye and when he becomes an Avenger, because both happen in Marvel year 1. Also 30 isn't scary for Marvel, they have a number of heroes over 30. Yes, there can be some irregularites, but especially as it has gone on a lot of writers (especially continunity nuts) are following the scale.

No, it isn't. the sliding timescale as Marvel have official described is one Marvel year is roughly 4-5 years. Therefore, officially there is no age difference (apart from maybe a few months) between Clint becoming Hawkeye and when he becomes an Avenger, because both happen in Marvel year 1. Also 30 isn't scary for Marvel, they have a number of heroes over 30. Yes, there can be some irregularites, but especially as it has gone on a lot of writers (especially continunity nuts) are following the scale.
    Do you have a source on that? Because Tom Brevoort explained this very differently when asked about it on his Formspring/Tumblr.

There are a few characters allowed to be over 30. But explained that the ones that were younger in the Silver Age are still young. He gave 29 as a specific number.

And I'd have a hard time believing that Clint ran away from home as an adult. Because it was that which lead him to the circus, and Swordsman and then Natasha. So all that would have happened close together.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 10-26-2020 at 03:02 AM.

Do you have a source on that? Because Tom Brevoort explained this very differently when asked about it on his Formspring/Tumblr.

There are a few characters allowed to be over 30. But explained that the ones that were younger in the Silver Age are still young. He gave 29 as a specific number.

And I'd have a hard time believing that Clint ran away from home as an adult. Because it was that which lead him to the circus, and Swordsman and then Natasha. So all that would have happened close together.
    The official Marvel Handbook states that you can assign roughly 4-5 real years for each Marvel year starting with the debut of the Fantastic Four, so we are currently in Year 15 with year 16 starting OCt 2021. Of course the timescale isn't 100% accurate.

The official Marvel Handbook states that you can assign roughly 4-5 real years for each Marvel year starting with the debut of the Fantastic Four, so we are currently in Year 15 with year 16 starting OCt 2021. Of course the timescale isn't 100% accurate.
    Then they changed it since 2012. The timescale for sure doesn't add up. And in Clint's case or young mutants, inaccurate. Because he was depicted as very young, trying to get away from an abusive home. And mutants of course get their mutations in their teen years. So the more you think about the timescale, the less sense it makes.

Even for Wanda and Pietro, because they were teens in Europe when Mags saved them from an angry mob.

Then they changed it since 2012. The timescale for sure doesn't add up. And in Clint's case or young mutants, inaccurate. Because he was depicted as very young, trying to get away from an abusive home. And mutants of course get their mutations in their teen years. So the more you think about the timescale, the less sense it makes.

Even for Wanda and Pietro, because they were teens in Europe when Mags saved them from an angry mob.
    The more you think about marvel time in General, the less it makes sense. I prefer to use the 4 year scale as a rough guide, but it isn't easy with certain characters and the retcons

Doctor Strange did not repair himself in the middle east, and beyond all that they had different personality traits. Stephen a bit more serious. Iron Man could be serious to a point but was more giving and philanthropic, but ended up being snarky later before the movie counter part became that. Both are arrogant. Stephen isn't a genius but is a talented surgeon. Tony battled addiction and Stephen did not. So if you cherry pick their differences, sure, you can come to them being the same. You can also do that with characters of the same age, same powers types, same hair color. Most of the MU has redheads with blue eyes. But there are also differences there. And if they are overlooked, it'd be bad for character variety. So what's read on websites isn't exactly accurate. It's a flagrant generalization..

Flawed characters aren't the problem I have with characters being all humorous with no exceptions. Most if not all Marvel characters are flawed. It's the details in how they are flawed that matter.

Hawkeye was not a womanizer... not sure where you got that from. I mean he'd flirt, sure. But womanizer, no.

They are probably doing WandaVision because it is so different and this phase they are aiming to do different things.
    The thing is that War Machine, Falcon and Vision aren't really "flawed" in the MCU. They just seem pretty passive and sort of faded to the background. I do think the Hulk and Hawkeye are a little bit more troubled and damaged emotionally. And I guess womanizer wasn't the right word to use to describe Hawkeye. MaximoffTrash is right. I just meant that Clint in the books sometimes appears to be a roguish fellow with an eye for the laydeez. Not really interested in one-night stands. Iron Man is a womanizer in the traditional sense of the word in my opinion though. My interpretation of Stephen and Tony is slightly different. They like nice material things (Tony has his paintings and Stephen has his watches). Whereas the possessions that Wanda and Vision have reflect their personalities more? I just don't think mopey characters are appealing to general audiences. Nobody really wants to see Vision play chess with himself. I don't think everybody should be funny all the time. But I think everybody should be funny SOMETIMES (like in real life). I still think Wanda and Vision in the movies were too serious. And I do agree Marvel Studios is making WandaVision different because so many MCU projects are getting more formulaic and predictable all the time. For me I'm glad that Marvel Studios is FINALLY doing a show/movie based on source material that was published over thirty years ago. Old fogies like me had to do SO much reading and research to get caught up because I missed the last twenty years of Marvel comic book stories.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 10-26-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Or we are in year 11, with year 12 starting Oct 2021. Next Oct.

So, somewhere between 11 - 14 years now. (it would not be 15 because this is not the 60th yr, just the 59th since 1961)

I wish I could have mine now but it's on pre-order for December.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    The thing is that War Machine, Falcon and Vision aren't really "flawed" in the MCU. They just seem pretty passive and sort of faded to the background. I do think the Hulk and Hawkeye are a little bit more troubled and damaged emotionally. And I guess womanizer wasn't the right word to use to describe Hawkeye. MaximoffTrash is right. I just meant that Clint in the books sometimes appears to be a roguish fellow with an eye for the laydeez. Not really interested in one-night stands. Iron Man is a womanizer in the traditional sense of the word in my opinion though. My interpretation of Stephen and Tony is slightly different. They like nice material things (Tony has his paintings and Stephen has his watches). Whereas the possessions that Wanda and Vision have reflect their personalities more? I just don't think mopey characters are appealing to general audiences. Nobody really wants to see Vision play chess with himself. I don't think everybody should be funny all the time. But I think everybody should be funny SOMETIMES (like in real life). I still think Wanda and Vision in the movies were too serious. And I do agree Marvel Studios is making WandaVision different because so many MCU projects are getting more formulaic and predictable all the time. For me I'm glad that Marvel Studios is FINALLY doing a show/movie based on source material that was published over thirty years ago. Old fogies like me had to do SO much reading and research to get caught up because I missed the last twenty years of Marvel comic book stories.
    War Machine and Falcon haven't had much time on screen yet and hopefully will get their due. Vision had flaws already in first opposing the Avengers, and then attacking War Machine. It wasn't really his fault. But Vision's flaws right now are he's young and a bit naive yet. And because he's so powerful, subject to manipulation. He will also likely get more screen time as he and Wanda have their very own show coming up.

Tony is definitely a womanizer sometimes. But also has had true love, and tormented love. Bethany Cabe was tormented love, and quite abusive towards him. Rumiko Fujikawa was a great love of his that was sadly killed off. And recently he had a very interesting romance with Jan (which they did date briefly before). I feel like he and Jan are quite perfect for each other. Both had the same upbringing. Both have chaired and funded the Avengers and are quite philanthropic. Using their family's money to make up for torrid pasts involving their fathers.

Stephen also likes books. Don't forget the books. But I don't think Stephen is too much in the luxury department. Where Tony loves high end a lot more.

I'm not talking about mopey. You can be serious and not be mopey. Wanda and Vision are serious. That's their personality types. That doesn't mean they haven't had fun. They just aren't snarky, tell jokes all the time types. And that's just fine.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    The little tennis shoes on Vision are just insanely cute. Gah.

I want them so much

Happy Halloween!

War Machine and Falcon haven't had much time on screen yet and hopefully will get their due. Vision had flaws already in first opposing the Avengers, and then attacking War Machine. It wasn't really his fault. But Vision's flaws right now are he's young and a bit naive yet. And because he's so powerful, subject to manipulation. He will also likely get more screen time as he and Wanda have their very own show coming up.

Tony is definitely a womanizer sometimes. But also has had true love, and tormented love. Bethany Cabe was tormented love, and quite abusive towards him. Rumiko Fujikawa was a great love of his that was sadly killed off. And recently he had a very interesting romance with Jan (which they did date briefly before). I feel like he and Jan are quite perfect for each other. Both had the same upbringing. Both have chaired and funded the Avengers and are quite philanthropic. Using their family's money to make up for torrid pasts involving their fathers.

Stephen also likes books. Don't forget the books. But I don't think Stephen is too much in the luxury department. Where Tony loves high end a lot more.

I'm not talking about mopey. You can be serious and not be mopey. Wanda and Vision are serious. That's their personality types. That doesn't mean they haven't had fun. They just aren't snarky, tell jokes all the time types. And that's just fine.
    Yeah, I remember Cabe from Demon in a Bottle. Nice lady. Didn't know about Fujikawa and especially Jan. I guess Jan and Hank are done now? I like Tony as a womanizer. I mean, I'm happy he achieved domestic bliss with Pepper in the movies, but he really is by nature a lady's man. I don't really have a problem with him loving the finer things in life too. Stephen is very literate and learned, that's for sure. He doesn't punch and kick his way to victory like so many other heroes, so I'm pleased he's caught on with general audiences. I understand that Wanda and Vision are serious. And I get that they're not quippy characters. But their relationship is so flat out quirky and unconventional, it should be made more humorous. At least they acknowledged that in the trailer. I'm also very pleased that the show is going the Vision is a human stuck in an android's body route as opposed to the Vision is a robot who is trying to learn how to be more human (like Data). That means he can be allowed to be less robotic and more funny. I am a little disappointed that Marvel Comics is not publishing any new Vision and Scarlet Witch series. The only explanation I have for that is that the creators at Marvel have literally just run out of ideas for the two characters. I think that's why folks at Marvel love Magneto as Wanda's dad. They love "daddy issues" stories so much. This has even bled into the movies. I HATED how Peter Parker's parents were SO focused upon in the Amazing Spider-Man flicks (they literally killed off my interest for Spider-Man). Like I said, it makes you wonder if the people creating the stories for the MCU go to bed listening to "The Living Years" by Mike + The Mechanics EVERY NIGHT. I do think Wanda being a mom is so much fun. I'm looking forward to seeing that dynamic on screen. I'm one of the few people that think Vision might NOT actually turn white later in the series. I mean, that would require different colored make-up for Bettany, and I don't see Disney going through the trouble with that. I do think Vision will adopt a human form in public a lot. And that's one thing I don't get about the show. The whole wide world knows who Vision is due to that Far From Home memorial, and yet Wanda wants him to hide his identity in WandaVision? I don't get it. I also didn't understand why Wanda and Vision "embraced" in their Edinburgh hotel room while he adopted his human form. I guess Wanda isn't THAT tolerant of android appearances in the MCU.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 10-27-2020 at 08:03 AM.