Page 121 of 271 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 4051

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Very nice look!

Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Agreed. It just begs the question of why she never said 'No More Cancer' or 'No More Hunger' or 'No More Racism.' The Children's Crusade did an adequate job of kicking that can down the road and saying it wasn't really *her* power that did it, and I'm fine leaving that mess in the rearview mirror and accelerating away, never looking back.
    Yeah, or when she was with Doom, Doom didn't get her to say "No More Reed Richards". The sooner we can all move away from Disassembled and HOM the better

With Wanda's show, it's all been filmed already. So hopefully they have a better idea with that one. Falcon and Winter Soldier had some filming issues which put it behind even before Covid, so I think that's why that one was more up in the air.
    I heard that it's been filmed too. But I did read that Kathryn Hahn and Paul Bettany still had some stuff to do. We'll have to see what happens.

She did not have anything with Clint. It ended up being a doombot. Bendis later tried to make it so it was still Clint but it never took. Wanda has for some reason flown under their radar for needing a progressive change. I don't know what it is with that. They even celebrate that era like it wasn't extremely sexist and ableist.
    Yeah, it seems her portrayal for the past twenty years has been somewhat problematic. But she's doing better in the movies. Speaking of which, I neglected to mention that I liked her room in Civil War. I'm an amateur musician, so all things musical in the movies gets me really interested. That's why I was absolutely thrilled that Wanda had an acoustic guitar in her room. It shows to me she's got a creative personality in the films. And there was a globe with pin markers on it (maybe places she wants to travel to?). I also have a globe in my suite where I live and I've had it for so long that it still has the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia on it! She's also apparently really interested in arts and crafts. If you watch Civil War just before Vision rudely phases into her room, she's got a big feather, a gold chain and dangly earrings hanging from a rack in it. Her desk is full of scrapbooks and pictures of her family. And I find it very "witchy" she has candles in her room. She also has some books there which shows me she's somewhat well-read (I don't know if the tomes are about sorcery or not). What stood out to me was that she had a cross neckless in her suite. I don't know what religion Romani folks are, but it's clear she's a Christian so there's no connection with Mags there. I don't mind that she's probably quietly devout. What I find amusing is that she just dumped her clothes sloppily in the hamper. Vision's not gonna like that when they live in the Vision residence because he strikes me as a neat freak. When I read the comic books as a kid, I was always fascinated for some reason in how the superheroes organized their rooms. I don't know why that is. Maybe how they did it reflected their personalities to me. So I also like the fact that Wanda's got many interests outside of superheroing and her relationship with Vision. In contrast, I thought Vision's room in Civil War was positively Spartan. I guess an android doesn't need a lot of furniture. What I did notice was that he had a painting of Vincent Van Gogh's Mulberry Tree in it. I noticed it because I've been a lifelong fan of Van Gogh's work and the Mulberry Tree is one of my all-time favorite works of his. I know Van Gogh was really proud of it and he painted it at a really rough time in his life (this was just after the famous "ear incident" and less than a year before his death). I just never read Vision as being such a sensitive person (anybody who likes the Mulberry Tree has to be a sensitive person in my eyes). And I don't remember Vision being so interested in the arts when I read him in the 90s!

I don't if the movies are accurately portraying Vision and Wanda from the comic books, but I'm quite pleased with what they've done thus far.

I'm really surprised the Russos made Vision into such an introspective, sensitive and above all CURIOUS superhero. That TOTALLY flies in the face of what the superhero movie genre is all about in my experience. Heroes are NOT supposed to act and be like that. And I think it's kind of nice that Wanda wants to be part of Vision's journey to learn more about the world around him. But I thought that kind of story would be absolutely too corny and cheesy for MCU audiences to accept. We've already got a LONG assembly line of snarky male superheroes and badass female superheroines in the MCU that are REALLY popular. In a sense, it would have been more logical for Vision and Wanda to be like them. But they're NOT. That's why it took me COMPLETELY by surprise that people are so interested in their story. It's such an unconventional way to to portray superheroes. I mean, what other superhero couples are so interested in creating a "family dynamic?" I had long believed most MCU viewers just wanted tons of jokes and expensive CGI battles in their new shows. I've been proven wrong again (I'm a guy who thought that there was no way in hell that Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians would be as successful as they were). I didn't see that coming at all.

Speaking of Clint, the new Hawkeye Disney+ show was rumored to be a dark and brooding look at how Clint became Ronin. But it was just announced that a slew of directors with comedic backgrounds will be working on the project. So it appears that Feige and company are just DOUBLING DOWN on the humor and will give Hawkeye's show a lighthearted and comedic tone. How about that, ANOTHER couple of superheroes will be jokers in the MCU?! More snarkiness and quips galore. I know folks in this thread are getting fatigued with the overabundance of bathos in the Marvel films/shows, but I don't want to have to "trudge" through them if they don't have any comedy in them.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 07-20-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Yeah, it seems her portrayal for the past twenty years has been somewhat problematic. But she's doing better in the movies. Speaking of which, I neglected to mention that I liked her room in Civil War. I'm an amateur musician, so all things musical in the movies gets me really interested. That's why I was absolutely thrilled that Wanda had an acoustic guitar in her room. It shows to me she's got a creative personality in the films. And there was a globe with pin markers on it (maybe places she wants to travel to?). I also have a globe in my suite where I live and I've had it for so long that it still has the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia on it! She's also apparently really interested in arts and crafts. If you watch Civil War just before Vision rudely phases into her room, she's got a big feather, a gold chain and dangly earrings hanging from a rack in it. Her desk is full of scrapbooks and pictures of her family. And I find it very "witchy" she has candles in her room. She also has some books there which shows me she's somewhat well-read (I don't know if the tomes are about sorcery or not). What stood out to me was that she had a cross neckless in her suite. I don't know what religion Romani folks are, but it's clear she's a Christian so there's no connection with Mags there. I don't mind that she's probably quietly devout. What I find amusing is that she just dumped her clothes sloppily in the hamper. Vision's not gonna like that when they live in the Vision residence because he strikes me as a neat freak. When I read the comic books as a kid, I was always fascinated for some reason in how the superheroes organized their rooms. I don't know why that is. Maybe how they did it reflected their personalities to me. So I also like the fact that Wanda's got many interests outside of superheroing and her relationship with Vision. In contrast, I thought Vision's room in Civil War was positively Spartan. I guess an android doesn't need a lot of furniture. What I did notice was that he had a painting of Vincent Van Gogh's Mulberry Tree in it. I noticed it because I've been a lifelong fan of Van Gogh's work and the Mulberry Tree is one of my all-time favorite works of his. I know Van Gogh was really proud of it and he painted it at a really rough time in his life (this was just after the famous "ear incident" and less than a year before his death). I just never read Vision as being such a sensitive person (anybody who likes the Mulberry Tree has to be a sensitive person in my eyes). And I don't remember Vision being so interested in the arts when I read him in the 90s!

I don't if the movies are accurately portraying Vision and Wanda from the comic books, but I'm quite pleased with what they've done thus far.

I'm really surprised the Russos made Vision into such an introspective, sensitive and above all CURIOUS superhero. That TOTALLY flies in the face of what the superhero movie genre is all about in my experience. Heroes are NOT supposed to act and be like that. And I think it's kind of nice that Wanda wants to be part of Vision's journey to learn more about the world around them. But I thought that kind of story would be absolutely too corny and cheesy for MCU audiences to accept. We've already got a LONG assembly line of snarky male superheroes and badass female superheroines in the MCU that are REALLY popular. In a sense, it would have been more logical for Vision and Wanda to be like them. But they're NOT. That's why it took me COMPLETELY by surprise that people are so interested in their story. It's such an unconventional way to to portray superheroes. I mean, what other superhero couples are so interested in creating a "family dynamic?" I had long believed most MCU viewers just wanted tons of jokes and expensive CGI battles in their new shows. I've been proven wrong again (I'm a guy who thought that there was no way in hell that Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians would be as successful as they were). I didn't see that coming at all.

Speaking of Clint, the new Hawkeye Disney+ show was rumored to be a dark and brooding look at how Clint became Ronin. But it was just announced that a slew of directors with comedic backgrounds will be working on the project. So it appears that Feige and company are just DOUBLING DOWN on the humor and will give Hawkeye's show a lighthearted and comedic tone. How about that, ANOTHER couple of superheroes will be jokers in the MCU?! More snarkiness and quips galore. I know folks in this thread are getting fatigued with the overabundance of bathos in the Marvel films/shows, but I don't want to have to "trudge" through them if they don't have any comedy in them.
    Romanipe is the Romani set of beliefs, but there are Romani that are different religions from having settled in different areas on top of living by Romanipe. The Christian thing confused me, because Wanda would have been more likely Muslim on top of Romanipe given where she would likely be from. If you attribute Sokavia to an actual place in Eastern Europe. She also was never Christian the comics. She went from no religion to being Pagan, which would NEVER be a thing for Romani women. There's just parts of Pagan religion that are so counter to Romanipe that she'd have to cease any link.

It's possible though that this is something she just moved into as well. She might not have gotten a lot of her personal affects there or settled in.

The guitar I think might be some vague reference to her character being Romani. Because of the frequent association to music. And the fact that Wanda and Pietro's father was named after the famed Django Reinhardt. And at one point both Wanda and Pietro had Django as a middle name.

Books are a thing Wanda has always been into, and candles it seems. So that's pretty accurate.

Introspective, sensitive and curious were all things Vision was at one point in comics though. So I think they landed him pretty accurately. There are parts where he isn't so sensitive later in comics, but that was mostly because comics writers like to drive a wedge between couples for drama.

Hawkeye's show could be like Fraction's Hawkeye book. Which had some humor but was overall not humorous.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 07-20-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Romanipe is the Romani set of beliefs, but there are Romani that are different religions from having settled in different areas on top of living by Romanipe. The Christian thing confused me, because Wanda would have been more likely Muslim on top of Romanipe given where she would likely be from. If you attribute Sokavia to an actual place in Eastern Europe. She also was never Christian the comics. She went from no religion to being Pagan, which would NEVER be a thing for Romani women. There's just parts of Pagan religion that are so counter to Romanipe that she'd have to cease any link.

It's possible though that this is something she just moved into as well. She might not have gotten a lot of her personal affects there or settled in.

The guitar I think might be some vague reference to her character being Romani. Because of the frequent association to music. And the fact that Wanda and Pietro's father was named after the famed Django Reinhardt. And at one point both Wanda and Pietro had Django as a middle name.

Books are a thing Wanda has always been into, and candles it seems. So that's pretty accurate.

Introspective, sensitive and curious were all things Vision was at one point in comics though. So I think they landed him pretty accurately. There are parts where he isn't so sensitive later in comics, but that was mostly because comics writers like to drive a wedge between couples for drama.

Hawkeye's show could be like Fraction's Hawkeye book. Which had some humor but was overall not humorous.
    Fascinating stuff. Absolutely fascinating. Thank you so much for sharing. I learned a lot! I'm so happy that the Maximoff siblings paid tribute to Django Reinhardt. He was an incredible musician and he overcame a lot of obstacles to accomplish so much in his short lifetime. I think the Christian thing might be because of her upbringing in Sokovia. She and Pietro first met Ultron in a church there and I believe the final battle of the Age of Ultron partly took place there as well. I remember this because despite having almost unfettered access to the Internet, Ultron actually didn't know what the word "children" meant. And he had this "lapse" while talking to the twins in the church. It was sort of like Vision having almost total access to the Internet as well, but him not being able to understand a recipe for paprikash that he inexplicably printed out. Androids in the MCU clearly have some technical shortcomings. So maybe Christianity was the "state religion" of Sokovia and the Maximoffs had to embrace it (Wanda apparently willingly)?

I think Byrne wanted to get rid of Vision's emotions because he was HEAVILY influenced at the time by the popularity of the Star Trek: The Next Generation character of Data. He knew that Data was clearly one of the most prominent and well-liked characters of the cast for viewers, so he wanted to capitalize on that by making Vision in Data's image (more robotic). He even might have thought by doing so it would boost sales for the Avengers books. Unfortunately, Wanda had to be put firmly under the bus in order Byrne to achieve his "Vision". That's just my speculation, however. But I'm enjoying the MCU's classic interpretation of Wanda and Vision. Him being more "Spock-like" to use another Star Trek analogy and she being more strong and independent (and sensible) like she was in the olden days. I haven't read Fraction's book, but I heard it was great. So I'm sure the series should be too.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 07-20-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Fascinating stuff. Absolutely fascinating. Thank you so much for sharing. I learned a lot! I'm so happy that the Maximoff siblings paid tribute to Django Reinhardt. He was an incredible musician and he overcame a lot of obstacles to accomplish so much in his short lifetime. I think the Christian thing might be because of her upbringing in Sokovia. She and Pietro first met Ultron in a church there and I believe the final battle of the Age of Ultron partly took place there as well. I remember this because despite having almost unfettered access to the Internet, Ultron actually didn't know what the word "children" meant. And he had this "lapse" while talking to the twins in the church. It was sort of like Vision having almost total access to the Internet as well, but him not being able to understand a recipe for paprikash that he inexplicably printed out. Androids in the MCU clearly have some technical shortcomings. So maybe Christianity was the "state religion" of Sokovia and the Maximoffs had to embrace it (Wanda apparently willingly)?

I think Byrne wanted to get rid of Vision's emotions because he was HEAVILY influenced at the time by the popularity of the Star Trek: The Next Generation character of Data. He knew that Data was clearly one of the most prominent and well-liked characters of the cast for viewers, so he wanted to capitalize on that by making Vision in Data's image (more robotic). He even might have thought by doing so it would boost sales for the Avengers books. Unfortunately, Wanda had to be put firmly under the bus in order Byrne to achieve his "Vision". That's just my speculation, however. But I'm enjoying the MCU's classic interpretation of Wanda and Vision. Him being more "Spock-like" to use another Star Trek analogy and she being more strong and independent (and sensible) like she was in the olden days. I haven't read Fraction's book, but I heard it was great. So I'm sure the series should be too.
    I feel like Sokovia needs fleshed out more to understand it. Seems like it's a movie substitute for Transia. And I'm not sure why they didn't just use Transia, or just use Serbia. But it'd be nice to know more about it. And the childhood of both Wanda and Pietro. We still don't even know if their parents are the same in this universe. It's just assumed.

Byrne had a lot of issues and unfortunately his issues bled into things he wrote. So I choose to want to ignore his interpretations. I'm glad some of who Vision really is, is being reclaimed in the movies/tv.

I feel like Sokovia needs fleshed out more to understand it. Seems like it's a movie substitute for Transia. And I'm not sure why they didn't just use Transia, or just use Serbia. But it'd be nice to know more about it. And the childhood of both Wanda and Pietro. We still don't even know if their parents are the same in this universe. It's just assumed.

Byrne had a lot of issues and unfortunately his issues bled into things he wrote. So I choose to want to ignore his interpretations. I'm glad some of who Vision really is, is being reclaimed in the movies/tv.
    Yeah I choose to ignore a lot of the stuff Byrne did during his time with the Avengers. He's clearly a talented dude, but he just completely self-destructed over the years. But I'm glad Vision and Wanda are sort of being reborn in the MCU. It's nice fans of theirs are basking in their glory right now. I also don't know why they didn't use Transia or Serbia. Sokovia uses Cyrillic in their alphabet and Novi Grad (the capital city of Sokovia) is the name of several cities in the former Yugoslavia. I'm thinking they might talk a little about this in WandaVision. If Pietro and Wanda's parents show up they could describe the twins' upbringing a little bit more. But that depends on ATJ coming back. Which I think could happen, but like you said he hasn't been spotted anywhere on set so it might not.

I also happen to think Wanda is a pretty sensitive and compassionate character in the movies. I hope she's that way in the comics these days too. She's had a pretty rough few decades, but from what I'm reading here, she's in a better place now. I just can't really see her and Vision being funny (although I very much want this to happen). It's like finding out that Thor and Captain America both have extensive porn staches. You'd expect that from Iron Man, Hawkeye and Wonder Man, but not those two dudes. Really out of character for each of them.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 07-20-2020 at 09:13 PM.

BANNED

To be honest, while Wanda's Romani background could potentially provide for some interesting material if writers bothered to do their research, in practice it usually means she gets to be the "sexy exotic gypsy witch" stereotype which is really way more offensive than it seems to us, simply because there are very few Romani voices in the public sphere to speak out against it. Hell, even the idea of her homeland being this generic rural and backward Eastern European country is about 100 years out of date, because seriously who in the modern world would still think of Europe of all places as incomprehensibly foreign? But if you really think about it, modernizing Wanda's backstory and characterization would actually benefit her quite a bit, since she wouldn't just be typecast as this kind of nebulous "other" and you could tell more stories from her perspective that would be relatable to most readers.

Yeah, a trip to Sokovia is in order. Transia was probably not used due to sounding a bit like Transylvania and its stereotypical portrayal it has in the comics, while Serbia being Wanda's birthplace was revealed at the time. Also it would allow them to develop their own country without risking offending anyone

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    To be honest, while Wanda's Romani background could potentially provide for some interesting material if writers bothered to do their research, in practice it usually means she gets to be the "sexy exotic gypsy witch" stereotype which is really way more offensive than it seems to us, simply because there are very few Romani voices in the public sphere to speak out against it. Hell, even the idea of her homeland being this generic rural and backward Eastern European country is about 100 years out of date, because seriously who in the modern world would still think of Europe of all places as incomprehensibly foreign? But if you really think about it, modernizing Wanda's backstory and characterization would actually benefit her quite a bit, since she wouldn't just be typecast as this kind of nebulous "other" and you could tell more stories from her perspective that would be relatable to most readers.
    Well, sadly stereotyping is alive and well. People still expect Ireland to be full of Leprachauns, redheads and people saying Top O' the morning to ya!

Wanda by Alex Ross.

EdayeoTX0AAGe_m.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    They'd have to have Romani to heavily consult if not write it completely or it'd fall into the same traps over again.

I think they also might not have used Serbia because they were going to to talk about the Sokovia "Accords" in the next movie. I think folks might have thought there was actually a REAL Serbia "Accords" if they used that term. And I also think Marvel Studios wanted to avoid using Serbia because it was the site of quite a bit of destruction in the 90s due to conflicts in the former Yugoslavia. They probably didn't want to mix that up with the destruction of Novi Grad in the Age of Ultron for sensitivity reasons (which I agree with). Wanda has never even been written by female writers, let alone Romani ones, so a big part of her identity has been glossed over the entire span of her existence. Unfortunately, I don't expect that to change anytime soon (although lots of women are working on WandaVision, though none of them are Romani from what I've heard). I was actually surprised they changed Helmut Zemo's origins in the MCU by not making him German, but Sokovian. You'd figure he would have some interest in learning more about Wanda due to their common place of birth. But since he will be appearing in the Falcon and the Winter Soldier, maybe HE'LL end up describing Sokovia there and not Wanda. Which makes me wonder who the heck the "villain(s)" of WandaVision will be. It can't be folks from Sokovia angry about Wanda's role in the destruction of Novi Grad because that story has already been done in Captain America: Civil War. The whole thing with SWORD confuses me. What do extraterrestrial threats to world security have anything to do with the Scarlet Witch? I don't know of any precedents in the comic books (that I read a LONG time ago) in which anybody would want to torment her and gain access to her powers.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 07-21-2020 at 07:51 AM.