Page 40 of 271 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Love Wanda portrayal here (Star 2)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Probability010 View Post
    I absolutely second that!

To Star #2 :

spoilers:
    I am amazed how well that turned out for Wanda! I think she felt a little bit of, especially with the one-liners, as if she had spent to much time with Nick Fury. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but to me it looks like Kelly Thompson has never written Wanda before, so I cut her some slack.

In the recent years I became annoyed that some writers pushed Wanda into the role of a social outcast, that can’t deal well with other people. This issue reminds one that, no, she is very well at that. One gets the idea that she doesn’t really wanna deal with that person, but she does so because it’s the right thing to do. And she knows exactly what to do and say to “Star” to make her cooperate. Her “accidental” Friendly Fire feels a bit of again, but she also did that to Rogue once, during the Uncanny Avengers, in an X-Men Run (maybe X-Force?), they were fighting a girl called “Boom-Boom” or something. And here at least I found it funny and it felt well deserved.

Which points to the weird flip side of this issue: The character of Star herself. I found her completely unlikeable. And her “Tragic Backstory” is … that she realized that in the midst of a battlefield not everything revolves around her??? And yes, I guess over the course of the run she will become a better person and then we are all supposed to like her. But for me for this to work there has to be at least some good in the character at the beginning, otherwise it fells as if the character has been just rewritten.

I think it was clear the you can’t have Wanda in a story that revolves around Reality Warping without mentioning her large “incident” in that. Not doing so would make it “The Elephant in the Room”. I think this was done rather well, without going into details, integrated into the story.

To me the best positive surprise was that it looks like Wanda will remain part of the story. Have to say that before I read issue 2, I hadn’t seen the announcement yet that she will at least be in small parts in issue 3 and 5. I thought this would go down like in the Dennis Hopeless’s Jean Grey run, Issue 7, were the writer had to do something that Wanda couldn’t continue to help her.

I fell a bit sorry for the fans of Jessica Jones and Acquaintances’, because now it seems like even in Issue 1 already these were never them, but the Black Order. But I am glad to see the Black Order. Hope this run treats them with more respect than the MCU.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

Wanda being a social outcast feels so unnatural to me, I've used her being in the Avengers and there she's a social butterfly. Not in Wasp's level, but she's well liked by everyone and knows how to act like a normal person, as normal as a person can be in her circumstances. That's why I don't like when writers make her go crazy with power like she's Dark Phoenix. Bendis is a great writer but he failed her badly and she never fully recovered from House of M or when she needed Strange to stop her Chaos Magic.
    end of spoilers

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking Welcome!!!

Just wanted to Welcome some New Posters that have Come to the Thread Recently and if I leave out Anyone I apologize:

* Cruelrain!

* Yo being!

* Steel Inquisitor!

WELCOME to the Scarlet Witch Appriaction Thread and for you Posts on on Wanda, They are All Nice to Read!

I want to give an Big Shout out to Cruelrain!

Your recent active posting on our Wanda in Several Threads, They have been Impressive and Warmhearted to read your Fandom for our Magical Wanda!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Just wanted to Welcome some New Posters that have Come to the Thread Recently and if I leave out Anyone I apologize:

* Cruelrain!

* Yo being!

* Steel Inquisitor!

WELCOME to the Scarlet Witch Appriaction Thread and for you Posts on on Wanda, They are All Nice to Read!

Your recent active posting on our Wanda in Several Threads, They have been Impressive and Warmhearted to read your Fandom for our Magical Wanda!

THANK YOU, can't wait for all the news we are going to get in the future about Wanda

WandaVision, Doctor Strange 2, her future appearances in comics etc

We getting fed

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    spoilers:

Wanda being a social outcast feels so unnatural to me, I've used her being in the Avengers and there she's a social butterfly. Not in Wasp's level, but she's well liked by everyone and knows how to act like a normal person, as normal as a person can be in her circumstances. That's why I don't like when writers make her go crazy with power like she's Dark Phoenix. Bendis is a great writer but he failed her badly and she never fully recovered from House of M or when she needed Strange to stop her Chaos Magic.
    end of spoilers
    A lot of Wanda's problems can be traced back to John Byrne and his whole Dark Wanda storyline he did in WCA, where he tried to create another Dark Phoenix style story, like he did with Sue in F4. Heck, Bendis even said it was an inspiration; which makes me wonder why would you ever take inspirationf rom a terrible story? Oh wait because Bendis is a hack

Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post

* Cruelrain!

* Yo being!

* Steel Inquisitor!

That an Adam Hughes piece? Gorgeous.

Disney+ event in 4 days

I guess the CGI and stuff for WandaVision ins't finished but at least they can show some images or something

Yeah, I'm guessing that's why it ended soon. So they have months of post-production.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I want Wanda to be a mutant again. I know people here prefer for her to just stay outside of it, but... They keep mentioning her and I think it's worse to get one-sided attacks that she can't defend herself from. I don't want her to keep being called "The Pretender" every chance they get, and, there's also the fact that M-Day being human-on-mutant violence makes the optics of it A LOT worse than if Wanda is also a mutant herself.
    Sorry to bring this up again but I wanted to note what I said in a different thread, which is that what interests me about this "Pretender" thing is that Hickman is the first writer to try and really run with the idea that she's not a mutant. (Every other story since AXIS would be exactly the same if she and Pietro were still mutants.) Now he's introduced the idea that the mutants have turned Wanda, the evil non-mutant who posed as one of them, into a legend to give mutants a common non-mutant enemy to unite against.

It's another example of how she's an unlucky character. If the retcon had just removed Magneto as their dad but not the mutant designation, this story point wouldn't exist. I'm not a big Hickman fan (though he's better at the X-Men than the Avengers) but I can't blame him for running with that.

I'd actually be OK with this story if it builds to an actual in-story appearance by Wanda. It seems like it will happen, but knowing Hickman it could take years. Meanwhile she's not appearing much, not necessarily because of this story but just because most of Marvel's resources are focused on the X-Men now, and she won't be allowed in that story for some time at least.

I really hope we at least get something to tie in with the TV series. We haven't gotten anything yet but we haven't gotten anything for the Eternals yet either, and that's closer to the release date. Marvel is really weird about synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Sorry to bring this up again but I wanted to note what I said in a different thread, which is that what interests me about this "Pretender" thing is that Hickman is the first writer to try and really run with the idea that she's not a mutant. (Every other story since AXIS would be exactly the same if she and Pietro were still mutants.) Now he's introduced the idea that the mutants have turned Wanda, the evil non-mutant who posed as one of them, into a legend to give mutants a common non-mutant enemy to unite against.

It's another example of how she's an unlucky character. If the retcon had just removed Magneto as their dad but not the mutant designation, this story point wouldn't exist. I'm not a big Hickman fan (though he's better at the X-Men than the Avengers) but I can't blame him for running with that.

I'd actually be OK with this story if it builds to an actual in-story appearance by Wanda. It seems like it will happen, but knowing Hickman it could take years. Meanwhile she's not appearing much, not necessarily because of this story but just because most of Marvel's resources are focused on the X-Men now, and she won't be allowed in that story for some time at least.

I really hope we at least get something to tie in with the TV series. We haven't gotten anything yet but we haven't gotten anything for the Eternals yet either, and that's closer to the release date. Marvel is really weird about synergy.
    Her being a mutant doesn't really have much to do with it. Because she was still a pariah before the retcon. It's just them milking as much as they can out of a 15 year old story.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, but they wouldn't be able to use this plot point of her not being a mutant. However, you're right that they could still do something similar, like make her the Judas of mutants. Hickman obviously knows that mentioning her gets X-fans all riled up, though at least so far he hasn't put it into the mouth of a sympathetic character. I would like to see him have someone speak up in her defense, but that probably won't happen for a long time, as it's not a major plot thread.

That probably won't happen. They were never concerned in using Wanda as a character in that story.

Astonishing Member

Why isn't Wanda used more often?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Why isn't Wanda used more often?
    There's no one answer. They include:
    1. Her only real "home" as a character is on the Avengers, but Marvel doesn't want to put too many old-school pre-2004 Avengers on the team at once. Now that there's only one Avengers book and that book is almost nothing but star characters, there is no place for her to go other than minis.
    2. She was out of the comics for so long in the 2000s that many writers and editors simply don't know that much about her or want to fight to use her. You almost have to be a fan of pre-2004 Avengers to be a big Wanda fan, whereas almost every X-Men character is the pet character of some creator.
    3. Being in the MCU is a mixed blessing because Marvel actually waits to see what the MCU is going to do with her before making plans. And up until WandaVision she almost never had a lot of screen time in the MCU.

Ultimately she has a lot of the same problems as Hank Pym, though she hasn't been treated quite as bad by writers/editors lately.

I think her main hope is that someone someday puts together an Avengers lineup with more of the old-school characters, but I suspect it won't be until after Tom Brevoort retires, as he said a number of years ago that he'll never go back to the pre-2004 cast/style completely, because the franchise became so much bigger and more popular after 2005.