Page 54 of 271 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast

When I got into reading Wanda, she and Vision had just anulled their marriage. So I don't share the perspective that she's boring without Vizh. I think it was an interesting relationship and an important part of her life. But Wanda had too much of a flair for the dramatic before and after Vision to be boring.

I found Pietro's death in AoU to be bad writing and cheap. He's faster than bullets. And he didn't get much footing in the MCU before being killed off.

I don't want Wanda to be a villain again either. Since her whole thing has always been redemption and perseverence. She's been through a lot of rough stuff both in comics and in the movies. She still finds a way to keep going and fighting to save people.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I would love to know how Wanda is boring without the Vision. It seems that some people believe Wanda needs to be in a relationship with someone to be a character.
    Yeah Pietro's death in AOu was poorly done, it felts like a deal with Fox over the twins right, "okay you can have Pietro but we get Wanda."
    Wanda should never go evil or insane ever, ever again. She needs to be able to move forward and continue to be evil instead of constantly going back to same bad stories

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    When I got into reading Wanda, she and Vision had just anulled their marriage. So I don't share the perspective that she's boring without Vizh. I think it was an interesting relationship and an important part of her life. But Wanda had too much of a flair for the dramatic before and after Vision to be boring.

I found Pietro's death in AoU to be bad writing and cheap. He's faster than bullets. And he didn't get much footing in the MCU before being killed off.

I don't want Wanda to be a villain again either. Since her whole thing has always been redemption and perseverence. She's been through a lot of rough stuff both in comics and in the movies. She still finds a way to keep going and fighting to save people.
    Yeah, it was the same for me. She was definitely an interesting character then. But I recall that was the period when she started to gain a reputation for "going insane". And then there was that PROLONGED love triangle which we talked about earlier. I call it the Days of Our Lives meets the Avengers era. When I said boring, I meant the movies. Look, I think it was cool that she was pretty much undefeated in the MCU movies she participated in. As I recollect, she has easily dispatched Ultron, Crossbones, Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther, Vision, Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight. And we know how she handled Thanos. She's like the Floyd Mayweather of the Marvel movies when it comes to being undefeated. So, I don't think she would boring on the FIGHTING front. I'm talking about character development. I don't think she would be as popular as she is if Vis wasn't around. Because that relationship defies ALL common sense and is so silly on so many levels. That's the charm of them getting together. A human falling in love with an android is absolutely crazy on the face of it. But Bettany and Olsen made their love story seem pretty natural and organic. I'm still shocked the MCU pulled this whole thing off. I think it's because they didn't go for melodrama and slobber all over each other. Bettany and Olsen were pretty restrained and understated. Wandavision would not be as fun if Vis wasn't there. I just think her character benefits from having a foil like Vision. I'm REALLY looking forward to them ripping into each other Dick Van Dyke Show style. I believe Vision and Wanda had mini-series recently. I heard they were both great, but the Vision one was iconic. I'm planning on reading it to better understand the MCU show. I can guess why it was so successful. I have read that the Scarlet Witch had a HUGE role in the series and that her interactions with Vision were the heart of the series. Without her there, I'm almost certain Vis's series probably would have failed. That cover of him being surrounded by a whole bunch of Wandas is pretty famous. Did Wanda's mini-series talk about Vis? I'm sure it was fantastic, but I think a lot of readers are really invested in that Vis-Wanda thing. If he was there, it might have even been more successful. I just think the two of them are doomed to be connected. Too much stuff has happened. And the storytelling potential would be strong. I'm fine with the relationship, but I would have definitely made it more fun. That's why I'm happy Feige and Marvel are doing this series. Because their relationship is perfect comedy material. A dysfunctional family sitcom about their romance has the potential to be hysterical. No other two characters in the MCU could make this happen. I would have done it in the comics. I would have called it Full House meets the Avengers. Awkward family get-togethers with in-laws like Ultron and Magneto. Wanda demanding Vision vacuum the house after dispatching the villain(s) of the week. Vis putting his hand down his pants while watching a sporting event on television. I'm happy Wanda is the star of the show though. She definitely looks like the type who would wear the pants in the Vision household. I always thought in many ways Vis and Wanda were the two most emotional characters in Marvel Comics and that the volatility of their connection was really fun and sad at the same time. Just my humble opinion. I'm actually thrilled that there WON'T be much fighting and brawling in the series. My view is that the best Star Trek episodes were the ones not dealing with physical conflict, but the ones dealing with emotional problems and personal growth in which nobody got so much as a nosebleed. Marvel adopting this approach is the correct one in my estimation. Punching bad guys does not a character make! The other actors and actresses in the MCU must be green with envy.

Didn't Wonder Man have a pretty good sense of humor? I thought Vision inheriting his brain patterns would have made him funny too, but the writers didn't think of it. I must be one of the very few who LOVED AoU. Because I thought Ultron was hilarious. It totally made sense to me that he was that way because he was based on Tony Stark's personality. I pretty much laughed at all of his jokes. I even sympathized with him when he had that incredible conversation with Vision at the end of the movie. "Jokes" Whedon did a good job there. I even liked the Mandarin twist ending in Iron Man 3. I laughed a lot in that movie too. It was really clever. I think the MCU taking creative risks makes it so successful. I think Fox killed Quicksilver off. The whole "You didn't see that coming?" thing was both funny and tiresome at the same time. I liked Clint's character arc in that movie. Banner's too. But it was pathetic how Pietro died. I don't think Wanda will be a villain again. It would be hugely unpopular. I know actors and actresses often prefer playing bad guys because it is easier playing good ones, so I understand why Olsen loves the whole "No More Mutants" line. I think this show will be a little House of M and nobody gets hurt. Just Dr Strange has to clean up Wanda's mess.

WandaVison
    EWyIfjCU0AA47Oo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I would love to know how Wanda is boring without the Vision. It seems that some people believe Wanda needs to be in a relationship with someone to be a character.
    Yeah Pietro's death in AOu was poorly done, it felts like a deal with Fox over the twins right, "okay you can have Pietro but we get Wanda."
    Wanda should never go evil or insane ever, ever again. She needs to be able to move forward and continue to be evil instead of constantly going back to same bad stories
    In my opinion, Wanda would lose part of her appeal if she didn't have relationships like the one she had with Vision. She'd just be a moping, unhappy, unsmiling, emotionless and non-compassionate person with a few badass moments. Her character motivations would be non-existent. She would be just another angry female protagonist in the MCU in which there are many. I would find that boring. I meant no offense. I don't blame Disney for doing what they did. Fox's Quicksilver was pretty popular so it was probably better not to mention him while the Fox X-Men franchise was alive. I certainly think Wanda can be her own character in the MCU. But from what I've read in these threads, she has struggled to gain traction in the comic books no matter who she is with or isn't with. I don't think will Wanda will return to her "evil" ways. The only thing people were upset about her was the Hulk thing in Age of Ultron, and I sort of understand their point of view. I also believe Wanda will not go back to being evil. If that happened, that would truly be BORING.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 04-29-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Yeah, it was the same for me. She was definitely an interesting character then. But I recall that was the period when she started to gain a reputation for "going insane". And then there was that PROLONGED love triangle which we talked about earlier. I call it the Days of Our Lives meets the Avengers era. When I said boring, I meant the movies. Look, I think it was cool that she was pretty much undefeated in the MCU movies she participated in. As I recollect, she has easily dispatched Ultron, Crossbones, Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther, Vision, Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight. And we know how she handled Thanos. She's like the Floyd Mayweather of the Marvel movies when it comes to being undefeated. So, I don't think she would boring on the FIGHTING front. I'm talking about character development. I don't think she would be as popular as she is if Vis wasn't around. Because that relationship defies ALL common sense and is so silly on so many levels. That's the charm of them getting together. A human falling in love with an android is absolutely crazy on the face of it. But Bettany and Olsen made their love story seem pretty natural and organic. I'm still shocked the MCU pulled this whole thing off. I think it's because they didn't go for melodrama and slobber all over each other. Bettany and Olsen were pretty restrained and understated. Wandavision would not be as fun if Vis wasn't there. I just think her character benefits from having a foil like Vision. I'm REALLY looking forward to them ripping into each other Dick Van Dyke Show style. I believe Vision and Wanda had mini-series recently. I heard they were both great, but the Vision one was iconic. I'm planning on reading it to better understand the MCU show. I can guess why it was so successful. I have read that the Scarlet Witch had a HUGE role in the series and that her interactions with Vision were the heart of the series. Without her there, I'm almost certain Vis's series probably would have failed. That cover of him being surrounded by a whole bunch of Wandas is pretty famous. Did Wanda's mini-series talk about Vis? I'm sure it was fantastic, but I think a lot of readers are really invested in that Vis-Wanda thing. If he was there, it might have even been more successful. I just think the two of them are doomed to be connected. Too much stuff has happened. And the storytelling potential would be strong. I'm fine with the relationship, but I would have definitely made it more fun. That's why I'm happy Feige and Marvel are doing this series. Because their relationship is perfect comedy material. A dysfunctional family sitcom about their romance has the potential to be hysterical. No other two characters in the MCU could make this happen. I would have done it in the comics. I would have called it Full House meets the Avengers. Awkward family get-togethers with in-laws like Ultron and Magneto. Wanda demanding Vision vacuum the house after dispatching the villain(s) of the week. Vis putting his hand down his pants while watching a sporting event on television. I'm happy Wanda is the star of the show though. She definitely looks like the type who would wear the pants in the Vision household. I always thought in many ways Vis and Wanda were the two most emotional characters in Marvel Comics and that the volatility of their connection was really fun and sad at the same time. Just my humble opinion. I'm actually thrilled that there WON'T be much fighting and brawling in the series. My view is that the best Star Trek episodes were the ones not dealing with physical conflict, but the ones dealing with emotional problems and personal growth in which nobody got so much as a nosebleed. Marvel adopting this approach is the correct one in my estimation. Punching bad guys does not a character make! The other actors and actresses in the MCU must be green with envy.

Didn't Wonder Man have a pretty good sense of humor? I thought Vision inheriting his brain patterns would have made him funny too, but the writers didn't think of it. I must be one of the very few who LOVED AoU. Because I thought Ultron was hilarious. It totally made sense to me that he was that way because he was based on Tony Stark's personality. I pretty much laughed at all of his jokes. I even sympathized with him when he had that incredible conversation with Vision at the end of the movie. "Jokes" Whedon did a good job there. I even liked the Mandarin twist ending in Iron Man 3. I laughed a lot in that movie too. It was really clever. I think the MCU taking creative risks makes it so successful. I think Fox killed Quicksilver off. The whole "You didn't see that coming?" thing was both funny and tiresome at the same time. I liked Clint's character arc in that movie. Banner's too. But it was pathetic how Pietro died. I don't think Wanda will be a villain again. It would be hugely unpopular. I know actors and actresses often prefer playing bad guys because it is easier playing good ones, so I understand why Olsen loves the whole "No More Mutants" line. I think this show will be a little House of M and nobody gets hurt. Just Dr Strange has to clean up Wanda's mess.
    The insanity stuff was poorly done, so easily hand-waved for me. Because it was basically a hero is possessed, again. Into doing bad things, again. It's so boring. They need to stop that.

I am hoping with her show, we see some of Wanda's more interesting traits. And I wouldn't mind some Chthon in her future. The idea that she gets her powers from an enemy she has to fight. And that she has to constantly keep that power in control and has the ability to really wield the fraction of an elder god, is really interesting. But yeah, she needs some struggles power wise in the MCU. She's definitely had other struggles. Because unlike in comics, in the movies, she lost everyone pretty close to one another. In comics she lost her parents a decade before she lost her husband and children. And never lost Pietro. So maybe Agatha teaching her will provide a chance for some struggles in learning control over her craft.

I think her foil now might be Agatha herself.

Vision was not mentioned in Wanda's comic. It mostly dealt with her being a magic detective (ala Constantine). Her personal issues were the retcon of her parentage and Pietro makes an appearance. I don't want to spoil too much of that.

Wonder Man was cut from the films so he's delegated to behind the scenes stuff.

I think Quicksilver was just Whedon's pick for his usual sacrifice. He does have a history of killing off characters.

I don't think the show will be House of M. It seems like from the synopsis that someone else is responsible for what's happening. And Wanda is unaware of what's going on. In Doctor Strange's synopsis it seems like Baron Mordo unleashes something terrible, and a bunch of magic users have to help Strange. So it could be whatever Mordo unleashes that also impacts Wanda. Since it's called Multiverse of Madness, and that seems to play off of At the Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft, I'm hoping for Shuma-Gorath.

In my opinion, Wanda would lose part of her appeal if she didn't have relationships like the one she had with Vision. She'd just be a moping, unhappy, unsmiling, emotionless and non-compassionate person with a few badass moments. Her character motivations would be non-existent. She would be just another angry female protagonist in the MCU in which there are many. I would find that boring. I meant no offense. I don't blame Disney for doing what they did. Fox's Quicksilver was pretty popular so it was probably better not to mention him while the Fox X-Men franchise was alive. I certainly think Wanda can be her own character in the MCU. But from what I've read in these threads, she has struggled to gain traction in the comic books no matter who she is with or isn't with. I don't think will Wanda will return to her "evil" ways. The only thing people were upset about her was the Hulk thing in Age of Ultron, and I sort of understand their point of view. I also believe Wanda will not go back to being evil. If that happened, that would truly be BORING.
    New relationships are needed. And will be needed if Vision is brought back, or not. So since Wanda had a lot of friendships on the Avengers, she could build those up in the movies as well. With Carol, they are bringing in She-Hulk, maybe Hope. We'll see what this version of the Avengers even looks like, once they get back to that.

The insanity stuff was poorly done, so easily hand-waved for me. Because it was basically a hero is possessed, again. Into doing bad things, again. It's so boring. They need to stop that.

I am hoping with her show, we see some of Wanda's more interesting traits. And I wouldn't mind some Chthon in her future. The idea that she gets her powers from an enemy she has to fight. And that she has to constantly keep that power in control and has the ability to really wield the fraction of an elder god, is really interesting. But yeah, she needs some struggles power wise in the MCU. She's definitely had other struggles. Because unlike in comics, in the movies, she lost everyone pretty close to one another. In comics she lost her parents a decade before she lost her husband and children. And never lost Pietro. So maybe Agatha teaching her will provide a chance for some struggles in learning control over her craft.

I think her foil now might be Agatha herself.

Vision was not mentioned in Wanda's comic. It mostly dealt with her being a magic detective (ala Constantine). Her personal issues were the retcon of her parentage and Pietro makes an appearance. I don't want to spoil too much of that.

Wonder Man was cut from the films so he's delegated to behind the scenes stuff.

I think Quicksilver was just Whedon's pick for his usual sacrifice. He does have a history of killing off characters.

I don't think the show will be House of M. It seems like from the synopsis that someone else is responsible for what's happening. And Wanda is unaware of what's going on. In Doctor Strange's synopsis it seems like Baron Mordo unleashes something terrible, and a bunch of magic users have to help Strange. So it could be whatever Mordo unleashes that also impacts Wanda. Since it's called Multiverse of Madness, and that seems to play off of At the Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft, I'm hoping for Shuma-Gorath.
    I meant Wonder Man in the comics. Sorry for not making that clear. Your ideas about Wanda learning to control and enhance her powers are certainly very interesting. It sounds really mystical and frankly a little scary. Dabbling into that kind of magic sounds dangerous. I like your idea of Agatha being the foil. Thank you for the reference to Wanda's title. I'll look it up. I just hope the screenwriters for the Dr. Strange movie give Olsen some good dialogue to work with. I think she had some good lines in Infinity War and a couple more famous ones in Endgame. But I think it's clear Vision got the better ones. I thought his lines in Age of Ultron were unbelievably good. Wanda will probably get some memorable ones in her own show. I also agree with you that Wanda probably doesn't cause whatever that happens. It looks like her and Vision are sort of being trapped against their own will. My greatest interest in the series is VERY different from the other posters on these threads. I'm most curious about the family dynamic from this show as opposed to any powers gained. That's where things can get truly emotionally engaging. That's what most viewers will remember when it's over in my opinion. It'll be weird seeing Wanda as a wife and mother. But funny too. I think Vis could be a really funny father too. I think it's really important that Wandavision stands on its own two feet as opposed to being just an introduction into the Multiverse of Madness. And I think they will succeed. I don't mind it being sad. Just as long as the characters grow and evolve. I'm also hoping Bettany and Cumberbatch interact too. They're both hilarious.

I'm not too familiar with Whedon's writing. I just thought Ultron was hysterical in Age of Ultron. The whole fighting and quipping your way to victory in those MCU movies is a theme I thoroughly enjoy. I concur with you when you say that heroes getting brainwashed into doing bad things is such a stale cliche. But I think writers will continue using it because it's an easy writing shortcut. I'm just hoping the music for the show is good. That could really make a difference. I definitely want to get back into the comics, but I worry that they are really dark and bleak. The MCU has a lot of positive energy in it which reflects the comics I read way back in the 1990s. I'm curious to see how the MCU fares without Downey, Evans and Johansson. Hopefully Bettany will stick around too.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 04-29-2020 at 06:27 PM.

New relationships are needed. And will be needed if Vision is brought back, or not. So since Wanda had a lot of friendships on the Avengers, she could build those up in the movies as well. With Carol, they are bringing in She-Hulk, maybe Hope. We'll see what this version of the Avengers even looks like, once they get back to that.
    I'm okay with that. But I hope there won't be any Endgame-style pandering. I cringed at the hammy "Girl Power" scene in that movie. The whole thing felt a little contrived although I appreciated the gesture. But that's my problem with how MCU women are written. They often just look serious and powerful, but don't do much else. The scene when the Black Widow and Okoye fought together with Wanda at the end of Infinity War felt more satisfying because it felt totally natural and made sense. Wanda is REALLY lucky because her character was written with a little more emotional depth than the other ladies. But I'm concerned she'll end up being in more emotionally empty scenes and situations like that in the future. People can see through that. I'm not sure if you agree, but that's how I feel. So far in the MCU, Wanda hasn't even acted all that "bitchy". The only line she said that made me cringe was in Civil War: "It was time to get off my ass." Other than that, she's been well-written.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 04-29-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

That's got to be about legality with Fox as the two companies share those two characters on paper and they both chose one sibling in their universe. X-men got Quicksilver, Marvel got Scarlet Witch.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That's got to be about legality with Fox as the two companies share those two characters on paper and they both chose one sibling in their universe. X-men got Quicksilver, Marvel got Scarlet Witch.
    That's purely fan speculation, but Whedon has been pretty clear that he wanted to kill the new guy after faking the audience out into thinking Hawkeye would die. Most viewers, unaware of the Fox vs. Disney stuff, would have been surprised at Quicksilver getting killed off in his first movie.

Whedon has also said that he shot an ending where Pietro lives (we've never seen it and probably never will) in case Disney wanted him to stay around. Maybe they were less likely to want that because of the rival version. But otherwise I believe Whedon that introducing a new character as an Avenger-to-be and then killing him was his plan.

Especially since Feige said they both have the ability to use them because the twins were never negotiated for during the talks of movie rights.

I'm okay with that. But I hope there won't be any Endgame-style pandering. I cringed at the hammy "Girl Power" scene in that movie. The whole thing felt a little contrived although I appreciated the gesture. But that's my problem with how MCU women are written. They often just look serious and powerful, but don't do much else. The scene when the Black Widow and Okoye fought together with Wanda at the end of Infinity War felt more satisfying because it felt totally natural and made sense. Wanda is REALLY lucky because her character was written with a little more emotional depth than the other ladies. But I'm concerned she'll end up being in more emotionally empty scenes and situations like that in the future. People can see through that. I'm not sure if you agree, but that's how I feel. So far in the MCU, Wanda hasn't even acted all that "bitchy". The only line she said that made me cringe was in Civil War: "It was time to get off my ass." Other than that, she's been well-written.
    That scene was a vague reference to A-Force. A book in recent years. I'm generally fine with easter eggs. My only problem is movies tend to rely on those sometimes too much to appease comics fans, but never go through with what is in the easter egg. So it's just a tease.

I meant Wonder Man in the comics. Sorry for not making that clear. Your ideas about Wanda learning to control and enhance her powers are certainly very interesting. It sounds really mystical and frankly a little scary. Dabbling into that kind of magic sounds dangerous. I like your idea of Agatha being the foil. Thank you for the reference to Wanda's title. I'll look it up. I just hope the screenwriters for the Dr. Strange movie give Olsen some good dialogue to work with. I think she had some good lines in Infinity War and a couple more famous ones in Endgame. But I think it's clear Vision got the better ones. I thought his lines in Age of Ultron were unbelievably good. Wanda will probably get some memorable ones in her own show. I also agree with you that Wanda probably doesn't cause whatever that happens. It looks like her and Vision are sort of being trapped against their own will. My greatest interest in the series is VERY different from the other posters on these threads. I'm most curious about the family dynamic from this show as opposed to any powers gained. That's where things can get truly emotionally engaging. That's what most viewers will remember when it's over in my opinion. It'll be weird seeing Wanda as a wife and mother. But funny too. I think Vis could be a really funny father too. I think it's really important that Wandavision stands on its own two feet as opposed to being just an introduction into the Multiverse of Madness. And I think they will succeed. I don't mind it being sad. Just as long as the characters grow and evolve. I'm also hoping Bettany and Cumberbatch interact too. They're both hilarious.

I'm not too familiar with Whedon's writing. I just thought Ultron was hysterical in Age of Ultron. The whole fighting and quipping your way to victory in those MCU movies is a theme I thoroughly enjoy. I concur with you when you say that heroes getting brainwashed into doing bad things is such a stale cliche. But I think writers will continue using it because it's an easy writing shortcut. I'm just hoping the music for the show is good. That could really make a difference. I definitely want to get back into the comics, but I worry that they are really dark and bleak. The MCU has a lot of positive energy in it which reflects the comics I read way back in the 1990s. I'm curious to see how the MCU fares without Downey, Evans and Johansson. Hopefully Bettany will stick around too.
    Wonder Man in comics can be a jerk sometimes to Wanda. And was a jerk to Vision initially. Him not wanting to give Vision back his memories and emotions wasn't so much about Simon feeling violated over those being used on Vision without his consent as much as it was that he wanted Wanda for himself. So after Wanda and Vision had split, Simon pursued Wanda. After a long time and even Vision's blessing, Wanda started dating Simon. After Simon got to be with Wanda, he continuously pushed her away, and even said horrible things to her about loving fake men. Punched near her head to show her that he's not good for her. So she'd leave. He was a mess really. So I never really liked that relationship. I think Wanda deserves something healthier.

Since MCU tends to have some kind of pull in the comics I was wondering do any of y'all think they'll have Wanda drop Voodoo and get back with Vision after WandaVision debuts?