Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I assume so too but it always seems that only Aquaman and sometimes Mera have super strength.
    True, but we usually don't see many Atlanteans get to strut their stuff outside land. Only a few kinds of strength feats you can really pull off underwater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Garth had some super strength too didn't he?

Orin seems considerably stronger than the average Atlantean, but that's supposed to be the "hybrids are better than the source species" thing, and Kaldur would have that same benefit.

Mera might be marginally stronger than the average Atlantean too? But that'd likely be a "royal bloodline" thing.
    Well, that and he's the main character. I don't think they've ever said he's naturally stronger for being a hybrid because his telepathy is usually seen more as his unique feature then his strength even if I don't think every Atlantean can hold their own in Supreman's weight class like Arthur can.

It also probably helps that Mera was trained to fight (Arthur was self-taught).

This reminds me of that Brave and the Bold episode where Aquaman is trying to avoid fighting crime to go on a family vacation and then Mera and Arthur Jr. decide to join him in stopping some thugs and they clean house .

Fantastic Member

I've been so busy lately that I completely forgot about the new Aqualad book coming up next week! While I'm not crazy about the art, I'm really excited to read You Brought Me The Ocean.

You can pre-order it on comixology right now, if anyone's interested.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyFan View Post
    I've been so busy lately that I completely forgot about the new Aqualad book coming up next week! While I'm not crazy about the art, I'm really excited to read You Brought Me The Ocean.

You can pre-order it on comixology right now, if anyone's interested.
    I've been in and out of keeping up with many comics things, due to second half of semester being a huge hurdle for me personally and also other stuff going on.

I'd love to get the change to read it, and I think I might just do that pre-ordering!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, that and he's the main character. I don't think they've ever said he's naturally stronger for being a hybrid because his telepathy is usually seen more as his unique feature then his strength even if I don't think every Atlantean can hold their own in Supreman's weight class like Arthur can.
    I remember the "hybrid" thing being a point in....I dunno, PAD's run maybe? But maybe it was the telepathy they were talking about, it's been a *long* time.

And "hold their own in Superman's weight class..." Sure, if you count managing to land a sucker punch being in Clark's weight class.

It also probably helps that Mera was trained to fight (Arthur was self-taught).
    She's honestly the bigger badass of the two.

So, that Aqualad OGN....I'm curious, and I want to support Kaldur, but what little I've seen hasn't totally impressed me. When it hits, I'm hoping people talk about it a lot here; if word of mouth is good I'm gonna grab it, but not willing to pre-order.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

AQUAMAN #63
    written by JORDAN CLARK
    art by MARCO SANTUCCI
    cover by ROBSON ROCHA
    variant cover by TYLER KIRKHAM

Now that Jackson Hyde has gained entry to Xebel, he must confront a wave of invasion -- from the Trench! As Jackson fights for his life, the stakes only get higher, as Black Manta promised to target Jackson's mother if he does not return in time. With the clock ticking and his life on the line, Jackson must make a choice: obey his father or suffer the wrath of Black Manta! And let's not forget, there's a wedding in Atlantis, where Mera is ready to drop the biggest news in the Seven Kingdoms. This special two-part story concludes here! 32 pages, $3.99, available on Sept. 15.

Fantastic Member

I just finished You Brought Me The Ocean.

I really really loved it!

The art took some getting used to, and they changed Jake/Jackson's origin slightly (again) but the story was wonderful! It made me feel really happy to see Aqualad in a story that was all his own. The book did such a great job of exploring his coming of age in a down to earth and realistic way.

If you're looking for a big superhero-y kind of story with action and fight scenes, you're gonna be disappointed.
    The book is far more in line with character drama. It's a slow/slice of life teen drama. It may not be for everyone but I'm really glad I preordered it.

Also, Jason Momoa!Aquaman makes a few cameos.

Astonishing Member

https://www.cbr.com/kelly-sue-deconn...-departure-dc/

Ouch! DeConnick was doing wonders all around with the Aquaman mythos, and that includes with Jackson/Aqualad. It feels like she only just started. I wanted to see where Jackson was going next under her pen. Now he'll be stuck in limbo, and at such an uncompromisingly poor time for him to be.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

Ouch! DeConnick was doing wonders all around with the Aquaman mythos, and that includes with Jackson/Aqualad. It feels like she only just started. I wanted to see where Jackson was going next under her pen. Now he'll be stuck in limbo, and at such an uncompromisingly poor time for him to be.
    He just had an OGN come out.

He's still on Young Justice cartoon.

DC is not tossing him away. Not with his Daddy being Black Manta. Especially if Aquaman 2 has him in it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    He just had an OGN come out.

He's still on Young Justice cartoon.

DC is not tossing him away. Not with his Daddy being Black Manta. Especially if Aquaman 2 has him in it.
    In-comic momentum would still be appreciated. That's what I meant. He just had an OGN come out, only to disappear in the comics themselves. Not to mention that in Young Justice, he hasn't been a main, principle character since Season 1. We also have no clue when Season 4 will even drop. (Why they waited so late in Season 3's run to greenlight Season 4 is a mystery, since that just means a bigger wait time between Seasons ends up developing.) And there's nothing to indicate he'll have anymore pronounced a role in Season 4 than he had in 3. Odds are it'll be less.

Hmmm so far Aqualad has his own emoji next to #Aqualad on twitter so we may see something or get teased.

I knew I shouldn't have been trade waiting this run! Me waiting for the collections have led to the book's cancellation!

So, one person has read the trade and liked it....anyone else?

If DC is going to focus on reaching a wider audience and trying to get their larger media fans into comics, then I expect Kaldur won't be left in limbo for too long. I mean, it'll take time for this new initiative to get going, but if DC wants to expand into new markets, and there's been plenty of talk about getting younger fans....well, a black gay teenager seems like too good a thing to pass on, for a company trying to make that "diversity" money. Which is a cruel and d-baggy way to look at it, but....business.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Hmmm so far Aqualad has his own emoji next to #Aqualad on twitter so we may see something or get teased.
    Either for Young Justice, Aquaman 2, or the graphic novel panels.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

Yup. He can't even appear in the Young Justice comic again, because that's ending too.

Aquaman #62 preview
    https://aiptcomics.com/2020/08/14/dc...ew-aquaman-62/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I knew I shouldn't have been trade waiting this run! Me waiting for the collections have led to the book's cancellation!

So, one person has read the trade and liked it....anyone else?

If DC is going to focus on reaching a wider audience and trying to get their larger media fans into comics, then I expect Kaldur won't be left in limbo for too long. I mean, it'll take time for this new initiative to get going, but if DC wants to expand into new markets, and there's been plenty of talk about getting younger fans....well, a black gay teenager seems like too good a thing to pass on, for a company trying to make that "diversity" money. Which is a cruel and d-baggy way to look at it, but....business.
    I don't like how a comics life is dependent on floppies. Not everyone wants floppies or individual issues. Modern day comics are way better as trades.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 08-14-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Yes they are, and that's probably part of why DC is going to gut their direct market stuff and start pushing more digital and (presumably but not for absolute certain) OGN's.

I gotta be honest, as much as I love my LCS, I am all in on that idea. Whether DC botches the effort or not, I think it's where we need to go. I just hope DC gets us there in one piece and doesn't screw it all up, like they have so many other things.

~ Black Panther.