Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    This was probably the best Jackson has been written and developed since Rebirth. I love that he's getting his own space to be fleshed out.

So I always thought Jackson was birthed on the surface but it seems like he was borne in Xebel.

I like how Lucia family was developed a little. Seeing Jackson interact more with Xebel and his heritage was all I wanted.
    It was really well done! The part about Lucia's family was super nice and I hope we see Jackson actually showing her the picture.

The adventures of Jackson and Mech grandpa sounds amazing. Have him going against NEMO.

This was probably the best Jackson has been written and developed since Rebirth. I love that he's getting his own space to be fleshed out.

So I always thought Jackson was birthed on the surface but it seems like he was borne in Xebel.

I like how Lucia family was developed a little. Seeing Jackson interact more with Xebel and his heritage was all I wanted.
    Which story are you referring to? I know i'm late to the party but that sounds like something I wanna read.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Which story are you referring to? I know i'm late to the party but that sounds like something I wanna read.
    Aquaman #62. The recent issue.

Jordan interviews about Aqualad! https://blacksci-fi.com/dc-comics-wr...usses-aqualad/
    Two bits I really enjoyed.

BSF: Aqualad has been featured in comics, animated series, and even a video game. What did you try to do to put your own spin on the character?

JC: I really wanted to add some layers and textures to Jackson’s backstory, specifically with the two other men in his family, Black Manta and Jesse. The heart of this story is about generational trauma passed down time after time and trying to find how to break that cycle.

Jesse is a tough but fair man. Like a lot of former Black military veterans, he came home from war expecting to be viewed and treated one way, only to find nothing had changed. So, his mindset has been, you look a certain way, you dress a certain way, you show people respect, and you get what you work for. We move forward to Black Manta, and he takes these ideas but twists them to meet his own needs. Jesse is raising him in the 80’s in Baltimore, in the backdrop of the war on drugs, Reganomics, and generations of systemic oppression, all which affected Manta.

Jackson on the other hand, is nothing like these two. He’s into TTRPG’s and making up dance choreography. But he’s got this history on his back and is trying to figure out just who he is. How does he fit in with these two men? What does the legacy of these men mean for him and his future? And can Jackson form his own path?
    BSF: Aqualad identifies as Queer. How important was it for you to write a story featuring one of the few DC Comics characters of color who self identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community?

JC: It was extremely important! The two biggest things I wanted to get across is that Jackson is Black, and that Jackson is gay. One of those things you can see, but as Black people we all have our own individual journeys and experiences along with our collective experience, so I wanted to get across Jackson’s. The second part is something you can’t see, so I wanted to make sure that was upfront and clear. A few pages in, if you didn’t know Jackson was gay, it’s made very clear.

So many LGBTQ friends and fans and general have expressed the experience of always having to search hard to find themselves in the stories they read and watch. It was important for me to make something where they didn’t have to. There’s so many people who have told me they saw themselves for the first time reading this story which is such a powerful sentiment and I’m grateful to be able to help increase that representation. We all deserve to be seen.

Astonishing Member

Solid interview, indeed!

They need to give this person a Jackson Hyde/Aqualad solo. Or at least a mini/maxi.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Jackson is the All-New Aquaman starting in DC Future Slate!!!

AS HE SHOULD!! and he appears to be teaching Aquababy?! (erm, Aquakid? Aquagirl? he teaching Andy....) I like it!

edit: ALSO HE'S AQUAMAN!!
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-15-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

LOVING the new costume! Our boy looks good!

Cool! I kind of wish the costume looked more like his Aquaman suit on the show, but it still looks really cool .

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    AS HE SHOULD!! and he appears to be teaching Aquababy?! (erm, Aquakid? Aquagirl? he teaching Andy....) I like it!

edit: ALSO HE'S AQUAMAN!!
    She'd be Aquababy currently, but yeah, she's Aquagirl in Future State.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

From the 5G rumors, you could see this coming.

Wait! Can he fly?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    From the 5G rumors, you could see this coming.

Wait! Can he fly?
    I...I'm not sure how? I think he's riding the wave but the visual doesn't really lend itself that way.

Astonishing Member

A dream-come-true! And something that needs to be more than a 2-month-long thing. (Wonder who the girl is? Seems to be more a debut for her, too, given her cover prominence.)

EDIT: Ah, that's Andy? Makes sense, now!
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-15-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    A dream-come-true! And something that needs to be more than a 2-month-long thing. (Wonder who the girl is? Seems to be more a debut for her, too, given her cover prominence.)
    it's almost certainly Andy, the current Aquababy in the contemporary timeline.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it's almost certainly Andy, the current Aquababy in the contemporary timeline.
    Nice! Makes sense, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Cool! I kind of wish the costume looked more like his Aquaman suit on the show, but it still looks really cool .
    Nah. I'm glad it's Jackson's suit w/slight redesigns. I get why they did it for the show, but I like the individuality of Jackson's own suit carrying over, with just the name changing/evolving into Aquaman.