Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Aqualad will still be around but I'm more worried about the content he will receive. KSD was doing a good job so far even if it was only minimal. Jackson's appearances in Aquaman were way better than his appearances in TT. I really don't want this character to go back to how he was written in TT.

So today's issue was cute. I enjoyed the guests writers voice for Jackson even though I didn't care too much for his Manta. We get some basic likes and personality traits for Jackson and some interesting family history! He used his powers a little more creatively than usual and there's definitely going to be a bigger moment next issue.

I know it's only a two issue arc but I'm really hopeful to get his thoughts on Arthur and the type of hero he wants to forge himself into. Arthur kind of runs on pure heroism; he just wants to help people so I'm excited to see where Jackson's "core" comes from.

One thing that was kind of fun...he likes to dance and he's a Janet stan!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    So today's issue was cute. I enjoyed the guests writers voice for Jackson even though I didn't care too much for his Manta. We get some basic likes and personality traits for Jackson and some interesting family history! He used his powers a little more creatively than usual and there's definitely going to be a bigger moment next issue.

I know it's only a two issue arc but I'm really hopeful to get his thoughts on Arthur and the type of hero he wants to forge himself into. Arthur kind of runs on pure heroism; he just wants to help people so I'm excited to see where Jackson's "core" comes from.

One thing that was kind of fun...he likes to dance and he's a Janet stan!

I'm glad his still getting some exposure. He's definitely different from the Young Justice counterpart.

So he doesn't outright say he's gay, but I liked the way he let it slide out. Someone asked him the question and he tells them straight up. That fourth panel seems to feel like he's still concerned with telling people that.

I hope his appearances aren't upsetting Aquaman fans. I know some Superman fans weren't too happy with Jon taking so much screen time away from Clark and Lois, and i can understand their frustration, but personally I really hope Jackson cam continue to grow.

Also on a side note seems like this artist is doing a little better with his hair. While I love his look( it's very distinct and separates him from the Mr. Terrific/John Stewart/Black Lightning/Wallace west same hairstyle crew) it's very clear that some artist are not that experienced in drawing black hairstyles. It's not the artist fault though that they rarely get chances to do it, but Jackson can look rather weird when the artist messes up his hair.

Astonishing Member

Giving genuine room and space to let Jackson be an actual 3-dimensional character is always a good thing. I've loved the fact that Aqualad was given an earnest home in Aquaman this past while, complete with a genuine relationship with Arthur (and a!so without, too, because Jackson is permitted to be 3-dimensional), and I will miss it dearly when it's over. Like, this was what I had wanted for Duke Thomas in Tom King's Batman, and what I had expected based on what the Rebirth issue seemed to advertise. This was what Jackson's been allowed to have, and I'm so very happy and proud of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I'm glad his still getting some exposure. He's definitely different from the Young Justice counterpart.

So he doesn't outright say he's gay, but I liked the way he let it slide out. Someone asked him the question and he tells them straight up. That fourth panel seems to feel like he's still concerned with telling people that.
    I was super into him hesitating when telling his "grandpa." Both the reactions from his mom and Manta were less than stellar so being apprehensive when having to reveal it to yet another "relative" feels very real. Add to the fact that he hasn't been around any other gay heroes and his time on Titans didn't delve into too deeply he's probably got some issues to work thorugh. Jackson's coming out journey has been a bit tumultuous but his meeting with the gay Xebellian warrior could be the first step in making him more comfortable with himself and his gayness.

I hope his appearances aren't upsetting Aquaman fans. I know some Superman fans weren't too happy with Jon taking so much screen time away from Clark and Lois, and i can understand their frustration, but personally I really hope Jackson cam continue to grow.
    From what I've seen most Aquaman fans have been really welcoming to Jackson taking over for a bit! I think the Aqua fandom is less harsh on their supporting and guest star appearances because Atlantis IS so big. We need to be seeing lots of them all the time.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think a BLACK MANTA/AQUALAD series (mini or ongoing) would be fun. Jackson can still show up in AQUAMAN occasionally, when the story calls for it- but now as a soon to be married man with a child the focus should be on that. There would be a lot more room to explore his dynamic with his father in his own title. Maybe digital first alongside DEEP DIVES?

I'd be into it (3 AquaWorld titles a month would be dope).
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-19-2020 at 09:35 AM.

KSD and Jordan Clark are going to go live in Instagram at 5:30pm (est) to discuss today's issue!

https://twitter.com/Jrsosa18/status/...514424836?s=20

Astonishing Member

What was the live Instagram thing like? Anyone watch it?

this was a solid solo story for Jackson, I would love for him to keep the Manta Mech as his own tech/transport. The Black Manta voice was a little mustache-twirly but I really enjoyed the interactions between Grandpa Jesse and Jackson. I'd be down for a Manta/Aqualad maxi or ongoing or whatever with Jackson, Jesse, and David.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

This was probably the best Jackson has been written and developed since Rebirth. I love that he's getting his own space to be fleshed out.

So I always thought Jackson was birthed on the surface but it seems like he was borne in Xebel.

I like how Lucia family was developed a little. Seeing Jackson interact more with Xebel and his heritage was all I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    this was a solid solo story for Jackson, I would love for him to keep the Manta Mech as his own tech/transport. The Black Manta voice was a little mustache-twirly but I really enjoyed the interactions between Grandpa Jesse and Jackson. I'd be down for a Manta/Aqualad maxi or ongoing or whatever with Jackson, Jesse, and David.
    I would love for him to keep it too. Your idea of Jarro staying with Jackson would make this more awesome too. Aqualad, Grandpa Jesse and Jarro would be one hell of a trio.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I would love for him to keep it too. Your idea of Jarro staying with Jackson would make this more awesome too. Aqualad, Grandpa Jesse and Jarro would be one hell of a trio.
    that's sounds like the perfect way to set Jackson up if he ever decides to graduate away from the Aqualad mantle. not that he needs to mind you, but, the Manta head and Jarro could make him a pretty unique elseworld-esque Aquaman character. go full nerd crazy with it: black space pirate Aquaman!
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-19-2020 at 08:58 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    What was the live Instagram thing like? Anyone watch it?
    Didn't watch it but you can catch it here
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEDBERW..._web_copy_link