Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WonderBat: Wonder Woman and Batman Appreciation 2020

I've held off on bothering with this type of appreciation thread a few months back when I joined because:

a). I knew the older threads would be locked and reset, so I could hopefully start this one with the others
    b). Wonder Woman and Batman isn't exactly the most liked pair around here :P

But, I'm a huge fan of them together, and I've learned that there are a few others around the CBR forums who like them as well so I figured why not?

The best thing about this pairing is that it's almost never going to happen. That's exactly what I like about WonderBat; and that's weird because not having a ship you support be the endgame typically bums you out.

For as long back as DC has hinted at WonderBat across all mediums, it was always presented and described as this 'unspoken thing' between the two of them. You remember that scene in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, where Star Lord tells Gamora that there's this unspoken thing between them?

Yeah, that's what WonderBat is in my opinion, except where as Gamora and Star Lord get together, Diana and Bruce don't because that's the kind of people they are.

They're both really self-sacrificing and selfless and just know that this unspoken thing between them should remain unspoken and that's okay.

Wonder Woman was born with the weight of the world on her shoulders. That level of responsibility and burden is massive and she had no choice in the matter, but she took it with pride and left her home to man's world, and all that jazz. Batman on the other hand wasn't born into this destiny, he's mortal and frail, yet he still willfully took the weight of the world onto his shoulders, starting with Gotham for no reason other than misplaced moral obligation, vengence and some other issues I don't have a degree to figure out. Diana has to have heard of the story of atlas who literally held the world up and the passing of the burden. I'm sure she could relate to it, so I don't find it hard to believe that she's got a deep level of respect, love and admiration for this guy, this weak, mortal, rich and issue-ridden guy who's willingly joining her with atlas to hold the world on their backs.

That's just one reason why I think WonderBat works so well together. There's so much more that's shown in comics, in the shows, the movies, the elseworlds and AUs. So many other reasons why I like them together. How they both fight in the dark, but have different perspectives on it. Diana was able to leave it and not come out unscathed, but Bruce isn't brave enough like her to leave it behind. They're both planners despite it being Batman's schtick. They're both the only ones who are willing to see the difficult route, and even then, Diana still beats him at that because of his cardinal rule.

In universe, other people probably know that there's something between them, but it's not their business to know why both Diana and Bruce choose to leave it alone. Off the top of my head Aquaman, Superman, Manhunter, Mera, a few of the Star Sapphires, and even Alfred.

DC editorial has hinted, sometimes playfully and sometimes more serious, that there's something between them, but they've always been smart about how they present it. WonderBat's got this magic that would fizzle out if they made it happen in the main continuity, so I hope it doesn't. But as long as they continue to hint at it in the main continuity, I'll be content. Also because in elseworlds and AUs they've pulled the trigger on WonderBat, and I think that supplements the ship never happening in the main universe.

To this day I think the best showcase of WonderBat has been the Justice League Unlimited television show. It's so good, but this is just the opening post for the thread so I'll tackle things like the movies, the AUs, the television shows, and every other interpretation of WonderBat another time.

I just wanted to open this and share why I like them so much, even if I haven't convinced any of 'ya! :] Also, even though I made an appreciation thread, I don't mind anyone talking about what their issues are with WonderBat because I like being able to see where you're coming from 'cause I wanna convince you to join Team WonderBat ;]
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 01-02-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

From The Brave and the Bold #78 (June, 1968). Art by Bob Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    From The Brave and the Bold #78 (June, 1968). Art by Bob Brown.

There's tons of WonderBat stuff from the older comics. And while I love that stuff, if you think about it, most of it is very lighthearted and not as serious as it would be if it happened in a book today.

I suppose I'm just saying that there's a difference between the weight of the stories today than in the old timey books. Still love them, like this panel!

The one thing I take away from panels like this is that they show just how far back DC editorial has been working WonderBat, no matter how small or big. It's not a new thing at all!

I still wanna at least get into WonderBat across the mediums. Focus on Justice League Unlimited, the comics, the movies, etc. Each one does its own thing and has different instances of it. And all of that has some pretty good fan interpretation. For now, here's Diana and Bruce going on a little date!

by lindatart on Tumblr
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 01-03-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Yeah, WonderBat FINALLY gets its yearly appreciation thread. I've been waiting for this. I'm so happy. WonderBat fans unite.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Yeah, WonderBat FINALLY gets its yearly appreciation thread. I've been waiting for this. I'm so happy. WonderBat fans unite.
    There are at least seven of us! SEVEN!

I never saw one made and decided I could just put up for whoever is interested. Here to spread the love!

This thread was always an option - just took one of you to step forward from the shadows
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

When Batman and Wonder Woman first met (All-Star Comics #36, August 1947). Art by Irwin Hasen.

Here’s a variant cover of WonderBat by Olivier Coipel. I think they’re a great artist and the cover makes them look like a power couple!

Last edited by KangMiRae; 01-02-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Here’s a variant cover of WonderBat by Olivier Coipel. I think they’re a great artist and the cover makes them look like a power couple!

That is such a good cover!

I updated the thread banner just 'cause I wanted to make something cuter.

Didn't think it was fair that my Black Cat Appreciation thread had a fancier front post banner over WonderBat, lol!

Someone edited Tom King's Batman arc with Wonder Woman so they actually kissed and I'm living for it!

BANNED

Don't worry girls, there is enough Papa Bruce for everyone.

Phil Noto's artwork is fantastic because he so perfectly catches the heroes as normal people. Always making their expressions and interactions so human! Here's an adorable WonderBat piece he did which I love. Shame this is the only WonderBat piece he has!

He has a great Marvel collection similar to this called "Hank Pym's Photo Archive"
    on his website if you want to see more.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 01-03-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Wonder Woman and Batman by Crhis Samnee!