Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Longshot Appreciation 2020

Some guys have all the luck. Longshot is that guy.

Will he be lucky enough to get a bigger story in the X-Men’s rebirth this year? We’ll see.

Discuss and Appreciate the X-Men’s favorite alien friend.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

So lucky, he managed to avoid being the murder victim on Marvel's "Incoming" due to the coincidental similarity of his star mark with the Hala star.

Now, I was looking for a short video capture of the "Longshot" show intro as seen in the TAS episode "Mojovision." This is the only one I could find on YouTube, but the title card proper was edited by the uploader. Sorry.

Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post

Some guys have all the luck. Longshot is that guy.

Will he be lucky enough to get a bigger story in the X-Men’s rebirth this year? We’ll see.

Discuss and Appreciate the X-Men’s favorite alien friend.
    Outside of Art Adams, that cover is probably my favorite rendition of Longshot (who has been my favorite comic book character since he was introduced in the 80’s).

Too bad he didn’t look like that inside. The story was great though, in the spirit of the original limited series. It also shouted out loud that he was NOT A MUTANT.... He was just always associated with them. Fortunately that god awful haircut is gone...

Him popping up in Incoming was a surprise...

F0E34D87-6FDE-49D6-A5F6-12BA464A7329.jpg

I also find it surprising that the lead role of Marauders was planned for Longshot initially. It was dropped because he isn't a mutant, but hopefully this means he isn't forgotten and he'll have a place in the X books somewhere down the road later
    Be kind, it's FREE

Happy New Year to the luckiest mutant .

BANNED

Happy New Year to the luckiest non-mutant The marvel characters Longshot and Calvin Rankin aka Mimic are non-mutants who were once members of the super hero team X-Men.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Damn it X/

I totally forgot that character threads are closed at the end of the year, so another poster took advance in starting this one. Not that I'm complaining that someone else remember him

Also, now has popped another true fan and that's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Outside of Art Adams, that cover is probably my favorite rendition of Longshot (who has been my favorite comic book character since he was introduced in the 80’s).

Too bad he didn’t look like that inside. The story was great though, in the spirit of the original limited series. It also shouted out loud that he was NOT A MUTANT.... He was just always associated with them. Fortunately that god awful haircut is gone...

Him popping up in Incoming was a surprise...

F0E34D87-6FDE-49D6-A5F6-12BA464A7329.jpg
    I too enjoyed 'Longshot saves the MU', it was refreshing. As for 'Incoming', I had no clue he was in it! Thanks!

Now, if you allow me, I'll feel free to post the usual introduction to the thread.

Default Loving the alien: Longshot Appreciation 2019

Once upon a time, once upon a place... A boy with no name, no past, no future --only present. Like a blank paper, people reflected their hopes, fears, desires and prejudices over him, so he was called saviour, fool, slave, alien, star, rebel, clown, messiah, freak, hero, mutant, slut... His existence was a never-ending loop of rise, fall and oblivion with only one thing for sure: he was lucky --was he?

************************************************** ********************************************

Nickname: Longshot

First Appearance: Longshot #1 (September, 1985)

Creators: Ann Nocenti & Arthur Adams

Height: 6'2''

Weight
    : 80 lbs.

Hair: Blond

Eyes: Blue

Powers, Characteristics & Abilities:

Longshot was created through genetic engineering, so he was never "born". He has only three fingers and an opposable thumb on each hand. He also has leather-like skin, hollow bones, pointed fangs and two hearts. Longshot's left eye glows brightly when he uses his superhuman powers.

He was genetically engineered and augmented by magical means to have certain abilities. He is superhumanly acrobatic (speed, agility, dexterity, flexibility, reflexes/reactions, coordination and balance) and has advanced healing abilities. The mystical augmentation gave him the ability to affect probability fields through psionic means in order to give himself "good luck" in his activities. This allows incredibly unlikely events to happen in Longshot's favor, even when Longshot does not consciously will it to do so. This luck, however, is fickle, and can backfire if he overuses it, creating an equal and opposite "bad luck" effect elsewhere, that can affect others or even Longshot himself.

Longshot can read "psychic imprints" that people leave on objects that they have handled, and thereby learn the thoughts that an individual had while handling the object (or his/her future), a phenomenon known as psychometry. He can also telepathically "read" the recent memories of a person by making physical contact with him or her.

Longshot carries cleaver-like blades, stored in a bandoleer, which he hurls with inhuman accuracy or in some cases, completely dependent upon his luck powers. He is also shown as proficient in other types of bladed weaponry.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Longshot_(Mojoverse)

************************************************** ********************************************

Estimated power grid:

Agility – 6 Superhuman [significantly beyond the natural limits of the human body]
    Durability – 4 Enhanced Human
    Energy Projection – 6 Ability to give off high levels of energy for a long period of time [probability laws handling]
    Fighting Ability – 4 Normal human with extensive combat training
    Intelligence – 2 Normal
    Mental Powers – 4 Possessing a single, strong mental ability [psychometry]
    Speed – 3 Superhuman [peak range between 111-115 hour]
    Stamina – 2 Able to sustain for 1 minute
    Strength – 2 Normal
    Reflexes – 6 Superhuman [virtually instantaneous]

X-Men characters with very outdated power grids

:-D Embraced canon: Longshot #1-6, Fantastic Four vs. X-Men #1-4, Uncanny X-Men Annuals #10-13, Uncanny X-Men #215-248, X-Factor Annual #7

:3 Sympathized canon: Ultimate X-Men #54-57, Longshot: Fools One-Shot, Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe #1-2

:-| Accepted canon: X-Factor Investigations #33-259, Exiles?

:-( Rejected canon: Everything else

Old threads:

Anyone else not liking how all the appreciation threads now have to have generic titles?

I liked how appreciation threads could have cool intros and slogans that reflected the characters. This is relevant here, because before I saw the generic titles, I wanted to name this “Some guys gave all the luck... Longshot Appreciation 2020”. Then I saw that everything else was genericized, and thought it was best to just go with it.

Thoughts?

Yeah, IMO it was more creative and funnier that way --I like my 'Loving the alien' thing

I guess, though, that mods have good reasons (order, convenience) to homogenize them, so I respect their resolution *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    I also find it surprising that the lead role of Marauders was planned for Longshot initially. It was dropped because he isn't a mutant, but hopefully this means he isn't forgotten and he'll have a place in the X books somewhere down the road later
    Whoa wait what?? This is the first I’ve heard that...

Also, I’d prefer he try to find his own niche instead of being regulated to the X-Books...
    Last edited by Thundershot; 01-05-2020 at 07:21 AM.

Whoa wait what?? This is the first I’ve heard that...

Also, I’d prefer he try to find his own niche instead of being regulated to the X-Books...
    JDW said it in the last X-Men Monday

I also do want to shout out Marauders because I love that book. It’s so great. That one’s been a real ride too because Gerry Duggan pitched that so early on–he pitched that sometime in 2018. Well, I should say he pitched what became it–it wasn’t like, “Here’s the finished book.” He knew about Krakoa and he immediately was like, “There should be a black market pirate book. I want to do a book about pirates sneaking things in and out of Krakoa, sneaking things in and out of countries.” I think his first pitch for it, he said maybe Longshot should lead it and then shortly there after the name Bishop came up and I don’t remember how much later it was suggested Kitty–I mean Kate.
    Be kind, it's FREE

Thank you!

Good to know he’s in the minds of writers. However I don’t think piracy would have suited him. His powers don’t work when he has impure motives...

Yeah, that’s one thing that’s always been weird to me about the new X-Men status quo, and I’m hoping they’ll have an answer for. I mean, it’s clearly not a portrayal of the ideal society despite what some fans try to present considering they’ve been called out and have been said to be a bunch of weirdos as an isolationist nation.

Admittedly, in the context of Marauders itself, it would be weird to have a non-mutant leading the mutant rescue comic, but aren’t they also suggesting Kate might not be a mutant after all too?

I hope they have some plans for Longshot in Dawn of X if they brought him up for this. My hope is that they put him as part of a relaunched X-Factor series, about investigating mutant crimes. Maybe they can have Longshot as a welcomed guest and ally, but warn him that as a non-mutant, he’s on a tight leash.

Bringing me back to the main part, it comes off as wrong that the mutants are essentially excluding everyone else even if they don’t hate mutants. Longshot isn’t a mutant, but he’s also an X-Man and a good friend to mutantkind, certainly that must count for something? I mean, I doubt Krakoa is the permanent status quo, but the build-up to a larger story — Hickman even said he’ll be putting his toys back in the box eventually. Just got to enjoy the ride, and see how it all plays out.

Thank you!

Good to know he’s in the minds of writers. However I don’t think piracy would have suited him. His powers don’t work when he has impure motives...
    you're welcome!
    Marauders aren't real pirates though. They take the medicines to countries and save and bring mutants to Krakoa, so their motives arent impure.
    Be kind, it's FREE