Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Just for the record, Vixen has never had a round face or broad nose. Mari is a high level fashion model and 99% of the time they all have European looks.

She has always been drawn within a European standard of beauty, narrow nose, slender face and semi-lite colored skin/eyes. Making me think that Zambesi was close to Ethiopia or located somewhere near North Africa where her features are more common.

I think the only thing that seems to change is her hair style and its texture. I think she probably had the most hair style of any black woman in comics.

Attachment 102621

That's probably just weave, wig or relaxers, even Beyonce and Rihanna wear those. It's weird when people stereotype "European" features with East Africa, I have family members who get mistaken for East African because of this.
    E.g. a Somali woman

A Venda woman

A Hausa girl

Each of these women are from West, East and Southern Africa respectively but they all have similar features
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I would pick Gail Mbalane

Or maybe a model like a Gal Gadot for Wonder Woman thing.
    I like her.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Yaya Dacosta

I assumed that Vixen had a super-model build that would caused villains to underestimate her abilities in combat

Attachment 102622
    Yaya was on America's Next Top Model

That's probably just weave, wig or relaxers, even Beyonce and Rihanna wear those.
    Until she joined Suicide Squad, that was her natural hair. Also, dang that's harsh saying she wearing weave or a wig. A relaxer...maybe.

It's weird when people stereotype "European" features with East Africa, I have family members who get mistaken for East African because of this
    I feel like kicking myself in the ass. I just had this discussion with someone ad had to explain that African don't have a standard look. Sorry bout that...

Each of these women are from West, East and Southern Africa respectively but they all have similar features
    Again my mistake, I have a couple of friends from Guinea, Ethiopia and Sierra Leone. I'm pretty sure they would give me the disappointing look if they saw that part of my post. lol

Yaya was on America's Next Top Model
    Yes, she also a decent actress.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    actually, if she was a few years younger, the momma (Christine Adams) from Black Lightning would be a great looking Vixen ngl
    I am so happy I wasn't the only one thinking that. The first episode she was on I practically shouted "son of a-- she could have been a great Vixen!"

Until she joined Suicide Squad, that was her natural hair. Also, dang that's harsh saying she wearing weave or a wig. A relaxer...maybe.

I feel like kicking myself in the ass. I just had this discussion with someone ad had to explain that African don't have a standard look. Sorry bout that...

Again my mistake, I have a couple of friends from Guinea, Ethiopia and Sierra Leone. I'm pretty sure they would give me the disappointing look if they saw that part of my post. lol

Yes, she also a decent actress.
    It's fine, I haven't watched Yaya act but I liked her on ANTM. She has a "regal" look.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I am so happy I wasn't the only one thinking that. The first episode she was on I practically shouted "son of a-- she could have been a great Vixen!"
    I think she even jokingly claimed she was Vixen when Jennifer found out about the Superhero thing .

My take on the Injustice 2 model was just me playing around with an app that has many presets that I have little control over. I did not intentionally change her nose nor intentionally lighten her skin. I changed the shape of her face which likely resulted in the nose slimming to adjust for the change in surface area as it is part of a preset. In regards to her skin, that is the result of a makeup filter, which I used with the intent to bring out her eyes. And to be entirely honest, I just enjoyed that the end result reminded me of Vixen's look from Brad Melzter's Justice League of America- the run that introduced me to this character.

I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone. I was just playing around with an app and shared the result. I find women of all shapes, sizes and shades beautiful.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 11-26-2020 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    My take on the Injustice 2 model was just me playing around with an app that has many presets that I have little control over. I did not intentionally change her nose nor intentionally lighten her skin. I changed the shape of her face which likely resulted in the nose slimming to adjust for the change in surface area as it is part of a preset. In regards to her skin, that is the result of a makeup filter, which I used with the intent to bring out her eyes. And to be entirely honest, I just enjoyed that the end result reminded me of Vixen's look from Brad Melzter's Justice League of America- the run that introduced me to this character.

I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone. I was just playing around with an app and shared the result. I find women of all shapes, sizes and shades beautiful.
    No need to apologize. I dont think anyone is judging you.

Personally. I think your version is spot on.

No need to apologize. I dont think anyone is judging you.

Personally. I think your version is spot on.
    I didn't feel judged, attacked or anything. I just wanted to make my intent clear and apologize in case I offended anyone or gave anyone the impression that I was reinforcing a certain stigma because that is not something I subscribe to, personally.

Just for the record, Vixen has never had a round face or broad nose. Mari is a high level fashion model and 99% of the time they all have European looks.

She has always been drawn within a European standard of beauty, narrow nose, slender face and semi-lite colored eyes (Later). Making me think that Zambesi was close to Ethiopia or located somewhere near North Africa where her features are more common.
    While narrow noses/face etc are features that are not exclusive to Europeon culture and excluded from the Pan-African genepool, nor is straight hair, I don't think the White Men who created Mari in the 70s thought of her features as being connected to her African culture. But instead just wanted to make Vixen "beautiful" and fell into the paradigm of the "White Woman dipped in chocolate" to portray that, not maliciously, while trying to increase representation of female characters and characters of color. And Mari not being "ghetto", Conways words, to boot.
    http://www.comicosity.com/game-chang...nway-on-vixen/

Women wear wigs and weaves to change up their looks without it being a long term commitment. Relaxers are harder on the hair. Moreso with models and actors because of the abuse their hair and skin takes under all the working conditions that are part of they're careers.
    I haven't heard the "That's not even your hair!" slam in a very long time in the black community. It's just a fact of life. We are beyond hair-shaming because of hair enhancement using those methods. The discussing shifts more to the political aspects of hair choices being to emulate a standard of beauty that was forced upon women that makes them think of their natural looks as ugly. See the Halloween released horror movie "Bad Hair" and the Oscar winning animated feature "Hair Love". Both have brought that aspect of the conversation forward.
    https://youtu.be/kNw8V_Fkw28

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post

No worries, I actually think it looks great. You did a solid job and I apologize for misjudging your intentions, just was a little concerned about the implications. But what you said makes perfect sense and I hope you continue working on your talents!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    While narrow noses/face etc are features that are not exclusive to Europeon culture and excluded from the Pan-African genepool, nor is straight hair, I don't think the White Men who created Mari in the 70s thought of her features as being connected to her African culture. But instead just wanted to make Vixen "beautiful" and fell into the paradigm of the "White Woman dipped in chocolate" to portray that, not maliciously, while trying to increase representation of female characters and characters of color. And Mari not being "ghetto", Conways words, to boot.
    http://www.comicosity.com/game-chang...nway-on-vixen/

Women wear wigs and weaves to change up their looks without it being a long term commitment. Relaxers are harder on the hair. Moreso with models and actors because of the abuse their hair and skin takes under all the working conditions that are part of they're careers.
    I haven't heard the "That's not even your hair!" slam in a very long time in the black community. It's just a fact of life. We are beyond hair-shaming because of hair enhancement using those methods. The discussing shifts more to the political aspects of hair choices being to emulate a standard of beauty that was forced upon women that makes them think of their natural looks as ugly. See the Halloween released horror movie "Bad Hair" and the Oscar winning animated feature "Hair Love". Both have brought that aspect of the conversation forward.
    https://youtu.be/kNw8V_Fkw28
    Interesting interview/article, I see what he was going for with her creation but they half assed it by not debuting her in a solo series & Dale Gunn ( awful name ) could be interesting & should’ve been a super hero instead of a supporting ally type character

While Vixen always seemed more like a hand-to-hand combat type of person, I still like to make fanons for what type of weapon a superhero would use.

What type of weapon would you cast for Vixen? Do you feel like she's a spear person, sword person, dagger person etc?

I can see Vixen using a Shona dagger...

Or a club

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I like the idea of Vixen with a dagger. That shona dagger looks like exactly what I picture her with. Never heard or seen this type of dagger and now I am a fan.