Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I figured she was mid 30s in Justice League of America but she felt like a veteran than a rookie. So she could be an active hero for 5-7 years or even 10.
    Yes, age and rookie status don't always go hand in hand - Dick Grayson was a veteran at 15, as were several other sidekicks. So that does raise the issue of when she first debuted as a hero v. when she came to the US and met all the heroes we know. Not that I think of her as having been a tween hero.

I don't recall getting a "rookie" vibe from her in her first appearance, either. Though, to be fair, back then almost no adult hero ever seemed the rookie, even when we knew for a fact it was one of their fist five missions. Neither did any of the teens that I can think of, to be honest. Even if I did, I think once someone has two years (at max) under his/her belt, they are a veteran rather than rookie. Partially because it would get really annoying to see them making rookie mistakes for the 15 years real-time it would take for two years comic time to pass.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-24-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Hmm, puts her about Barbara's age (pre-COIE, anyway). Not that I recall them interacting, just I like figuring out peer groups. Really doesn't matter for characters introduced as adults, though. It's the teen teams where it matters.
    Yeah, I put her around that age because she seems mature and already experienced to be a Titan and not with enough experience like Batman and GA. I remember that she debuted in Action Comics, and in JLDetroit she is older than Vibe, Gypsy and Steel who were teenagers but I see her younger than Martian Manhunter, Aquaman and Zatanna (thanks to the BTAS with her relationship with Batman), they were silver age characters so I see them older than her plus with more experience.
    Last edited by Incognito; 07-25-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Yeah, I put her around that age because she seems mature and already experienced to be a Titan and not with enough experience like Batman and GA.
    Well, Dick actually had more experience than GA, originally speaking, but I get your point.

Zatanna (thanks to the BTAS with her relationship with Batman), they were silver age characters so I see them older than her plus with more experience.
    Ah, I don't like TAS thing (I have serious issues with Batman and all the women in DCAU, as it seems used in a "your girlfriend would rather screw Batman" way to me), and think of Zatanna from her early JL days (and this is consistent though at least the 1980s), when she was early 20s to the 15ish year old Dick Grayson and late 20s/early 30s Batman and Superman. Never been as clear on Aquaman's age, really, since he had significant retcons, but he's been around since the golden age, so probably similar to the others who have, too . Prefer Ollie pre-COIE, before he got some years added on, relative to everyone else. Of course, we all knows consistency in ages in comic books is a rare thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    I think Sportsmaster could be a good villain for Vixen. He could be hunting for animals for sport or value.
    I’d favor some (evil)version of Artemis Crock/Tigress -Sportsmaster’s daughter for the same hunting factor as a Vixen nemesis/rival.

Catman might be a good rogue but im not up to date on his current history/dynamic.

I think you could use him in an evil Animal lover way, as a foil to all the poachers.

Does her powers effect her aging at all, any possible immortality/prolonged life?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I get an East Africa vibe from it. In the Ivory Coast/Ghana area, perhaps, or maybe a little more south, near Gabon?

But West Africa (near Kenya?), or South Central (replacing Zambia) could also work, just not too far South, and definitely not too far North.

The problem I have is that we essentially have three clues as to Vixen's origins and they somewhat contradict:

1) Zambesi is an alternative spelling of Zambezi, as in Zambezi River and the latter is used for a several regions in Africa, with Zambezi (a town and district in Zambia), the Barotse Floodplain (aka the Zambezi Floodplain), a Zambian wetland area or the Zambezi Region in Namibia are the best candidates. This suggests South-Central to Southern Africa.

2) Jiwe means "stone" in Swahilli/Kiswahili and the related Shikomor of Comoros Islands, which leans towards the African Great Lakes region and Eastern/Southern Africa in general.

3) On the other hand, the Anansi connection suggests the Akan culture of West Africa.

The town of Zambezi, Zambezi District in Zambia seems to be best candidate as it's on the river's path and in a Swahili speaking area. But Bantu cultures typically split the "trickster" role held by Anasi the Spider between the benevolent and cunning hare, antelope or rarely the jackal or ferret and the sneaky and deceptive hyena.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    She feels like even when introduced, she was more 'adult' than Vibe, Gypsy or Steel, IMO. I'd put her in her generic never-ending thirties. Late twenties at the youngest (perhaps when first introduced?). Younger than Bats, Black Lightning, etc. in her early 30s, though.
    Given that the prime starting age for a catwalk model is apparently 16-18, and she doesn't come across as older than Zee (who is mid to late twenties during the Detroit era), then I'd put her at maybe 18-21, 24 at the oldest at debut not thirties. Let's not forget that even the senior heroes like Superman weren't above mid-thirties in the Detroit era.

Given that the prime starting age for a catwalk model is apparently 16-18, and she doesn't come across as older than Zee (who is mid to late twenties during the Detroit era), then I'd put her at maybe 18-21, 24 at the oldest at debut not thirties. Let's not forget that even the senior heroes like Superman weren't above mid-thirties in the Detroit era.
    I don't mind 24 a bit, but don't know if I'd put that at latest for her debut. I would not go with under 20, because she's also a businesswoman, and Solomon's comment about her entree into the fashion career doesn't make is sound like something recent to me. She's 20-27, maybe, for me at debut as Vixen. But I don't have strong feelings on it.

Fantastic Member

I don't mind 24 a bit, but don't know if I'd put that at latest for her debut. I would not go with under 20, because she's also a businesswoman, and Solomon's comment about her entree into the fashion career doesn't make is sound like something recent to me. She's 20-27, maybe, for me at debut as Vixen. But I don't have strong feelings on it.
    Do you know what issue that comment was from? I've just been going on her appearances in the Detroit era comics which IMO put her between the rookies and Zee in age.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Does her powers effect her aging at all, any possible immortality/prolonged life?
    Originally yes. As a Animal Master she will live for several hundred years. If you look at the older Animal Masters, she will continue to age just at a very slow rate.

Now I don't know.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 07-28-2020 at 09:30 AM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    Do you know what issue that comment was from? I've just been going on her appearances in the Detroit era comics which IMO put her between the rookies and Zee in age.
    Yes. Action Comics 521 from 1981, her first appearance. Of course, it could just be an evolving changed perception of the character, since she was barely used for a few years after that.

I actually enjoyed the (very limited) interpersonal dynamic there, and I enjoyed her planning. The frequent "fox" references got a little tiresome, though of course, I understand why they're used (have to remind the audience a vixen is a fox).
    Mari 1.jpg
    Mari 2.jpg

Originally yes. As a Animal Master she will live for several hundred years. Now I don't know.
    Always brings up issues for those who care about secret identities (or the angst that may come from a character long-outliving lovers, friends, children, etc.). But since we're unlikely to ever reach that point in main continuity, it's really more a hypothetical than anything that would really have an impact on the characer's daily life. Unless you wanted to retcon and make her already much, much older.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-28-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    yes, there is a species of Jelly Fish that can revert it's own aging.

Fantastic Member

Yes. Action Comics 521 from 1981, her first appearance. Of course, it could just be an evolving changed perception of the character, since she was barely used for a few years after that.

I actually enjoyed the (very limited) interpersonal dynamic there, and I enjoyed her planning. The frequent "fox" references got a little tiresome, though of course, I understand why they're used (have to remind the audience a vixen is a fox).
    Okay... taking that into consideration and also some of the characterisation from JLoA 233 where she and Zee are specifically hinted at being peers would definately allow for mid to late twenties. Given that professional models over thirty-five (or even that can pass for under thirty-five) are rare, it makes sense to make her at least youngish at debut given she was at least an occasional model up to a decade later.

FWIW, the Arrowverse version (the only one with a known age) was specifically identified as 23 when she became a hero (Vixen animated mini-series).

If Vixen ever decided to headbutt someone using the ability of a ram... yikes. I would NOT want to be on her bad side.

Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    If Vixen ever decided to headbutt someone using the ability of a ram... yikes. I would NOT want to be on her bad side.

She is truly a jack of all trades.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.