Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm more intrigued by the writer, Geoffrey Thorne. I think I've seen his name somewhere but I don't think I'm familiar with his work. anyone have a gauge on if he's a good fit? y'all know Vixen only gets one story every 3000 years, I just wanna know if they setting her up for success this time around.
    Ah! he wrote Mosaic, I haven't read it but I remember hearing about that book. good looks man!
    Have you chanced by a member named Redjack?

I actually dig the fade, I've never been too keen on the short pixie cut looking thing they like to do with Vixen. If they are gonna go short prefer they do something that's clearly afrocentric in style; she African, let my baby be African DC! I like the overall design, I'm a little iffy on the bird crotch ngl but it's not SOOOOO distracting that I can't get used to it. as for the idea that the hair makes her disign look too "masculine", masculinity and femininity are not limited to your hair length. there are plenty women doing the big chop nowadays and the people who "masculitize" black women are gonna project masculinity on her anyway; it all comes down to how they portray her femininity in the story.

I'm more intrigued by the writer, Geoffrey Thorne. I think I've seen his name somewhere but I don't think I'm familiar with his work. anyone have a gauge on if he's a good fit? y'all know Vixen only gets one story every 3000 years, I just wanna know if they setting her up for success this time around.

I can see a wolf/dog on her back, her front looks kinda like an antelope. I can see Tiger stripes too, but that's all I got
    While I have no issue with the hairstyle, African women can and have had a variety of hairstyles. I'm Nigerian and see women with all kinds of hair all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm buying. Is that a Panther pendant oh her neck?
    Lol, no that's the Tantu Totem (a Fox), the source of her magical powers.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I got the eagle, elephant and maybe tiger or fox on the back..

Hopefully, this is the start of a new team book. I would love to see a book with Vixen as the JLA main tracker.

True, though even she shown some variety.
    Attachment 100833

That is not Lupita lol. It's Adut Akech.

I don't get having african inspired heroes then giving them bone straight hair.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    While I have no issue with the hairstyle, African women can and have had a variety of hairstyles. I'm Nigerian and see women with all kinds of hair all the time.
    I'm Nigerian as well, I'm well aware of the variety of hairstyles African people have. my point is, you can't deny that the pixie cut they typically had her in is not a particularly afrocentric hairstyle; especially with the straight texture they had with it. If they are gonna keep her hair short, i'd rather it be a hairstyle that embraces African features. We're a long way from Hailey Berry as the go-to black woman days, I've seen more black women with fades or a baldie more than i see them with the pixie.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    That is not Lupita lol. It's Adut Akech.

I don't get having african inspired heroes then giving them bone straight hair.
    Lol. DUDE, I never notice how similar they look to me.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm buying. Is that a Panther pendant oh her neck?
    Isn't that her power source? I'm only familiar with the Arrowverse versions, and it is for them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I'm Nigerian as well, I'm well aware of the variety of hairstyles African people have. my point is, you can't deny that the pixie cut they typically had her in is not a particularly afrocentric hairstyle; especially with the straight texture they had with it. If they are gonna keep her hair short, i'd rather it be a hairstyle that embraces African features. We're a long way from Hailey Berry as the go-to black woman days, I've seen more black women with fades or a baldie more than i see them with the pixie.
    I completely agree as a black man. Giving Vixen natural hair makes perfect sense in the current climate we're in culturally and fits rather naturally with her character. Nothing wrong with black women in comics, as they are in real life, increasingly embracing their God-given features. The pixie-cut is fine, as is any other European-inspired hairdo, but experimentation is great as well.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Lol Imagine if they had T'challa running around with this cut:

Not that the haircut is bad, but it throws the tone of an "African Monarch" off. Same with Vixen.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Lol, no that's the Tantu Totem (a Fox), the source of her magical powers.
    Thanks for the info LAM.

If Redjack is writing this then it should be very good.

somethingcool

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Isn't that her power source? I'm only familiar with the Arrowverse versions, and it is for them.
    Its a fox head and its called the tantu totem. Its where she gets her powers from and the fox stands for her name "vixen"

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I think i seen his name pop up one time when I was in the Black Panther thread (i don't be going over there often ngl) buthaven't really crossed paths with him much. he's the guy?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Lol Imagine if they had T'challa running around with this cut:

Not that the haircut is bad, but it throws the tone of an "African Monarch" off. Same with Vixen.
    exactly my point but also, oh nah i gotta call cap; this haircut BAD bad. late 2000s was a wil'n with this aesthetics
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-22-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I actually dig the fade, I've never been too keen on the short pixie cut looking thing they like to do with Vixen. If they are gonna go short prefer they do something that's clearly afrocentric in style; she African, let my baby be African DC! I like the overall design, I'm a little iffy on the bird crotch ngl but it's not SOOOOO distracting that I can't get used to it. as for the idea that the hair makes her disign look too "masculine", masculinity and femininity are not limited to your hair length. there are plenty women doing the big chop nowadays and the people who "masculitize" black women are gonna project masculinity on her anyway; it all comes down to how they portray her femininity in the story.
    Yeah, short hair isn't necessarily a barometer for femininity. Catwoman and The Wasp have had pixie cuts for several years now and are one of the most feminine characters in comics. Heck, aside from Megalyn EK, Mari usually has short hair.

Personally I'm partial the DCAU hair or her original CWSeed look, but that's just me.

The bird on the crotch is pretty distracting for me. It's like that red bit on new 52 Supergirl's costume. Like they could have so easily moved it up a little and made into more of a belt. Maybe they'll do that for the final design.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Two quick notes.

-The crotch symbol would look better on her chest.

-Her short hair...is an abysmal.

asides those notes, this concept art is great. I wonder if this will be a mini-series or an ongoing.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Ultimate Member

That would be Redjack who also worked on Black Panther's animated run on Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
    He has also done Star Trek stuff and famous for a certain CBS show called In the Heat of The Night.

I would say you got the RIGHT person to do something with Vixen.

Even if it doesn't sell-if it's as good as Mosaic was-folks will keep talking about and suddenly you realize folks are reading these books despite claims saying opposite.

I completely agree as a black man. Giving Vixen natural hair makes perfect sense in the current climate we're in culturally and fits rather naturally with her character. Nothing wrong with black women in comics, as they are in real life, increasingly embracing their God-given features. The pixie-cut is fine, as is any other European-inspired hairdo, but experimentation is great as well.
    Sometimes outside factors cause the limiting of hair styles.

Especially if art is reused in other projects like posters and even toys.