Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    well, the red isn't explicitly limited by planet seeing as Beast Boy can take on alien forms, so I don't see why Mari couldn't tap into otherworldly beings. I think the issue is can see mimic an organism as complex as Starro, seeing he's such a complicated, ancient, and foreign creature.
    Hmm... how much more complicated do you think a suneater is, which Animal Man mimicked in one of his solo series? Also, I think the magic from Vixen's totem might make it possible for her to mimic Starro. Plus, aren't Vixen's powers basically limited by what she thinks she can do?
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Hmm... how much more complicated do you think a suneater is, which Animal Man mimicked in one of his solo series? Also, I think the magic from Vixen's totem might make it possible for her to mimic Starro. Plus, aren't Vixen's powers basically limited by what she thinks she can do?
    they had Animal Man mimic a suneater? I didn't think the red was supposed to be able to tap into beings of that sort of cosmic tier. if they are doing that then pretty much any entity in the universe is on the table when talking about the red.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

they had Animal Man mimic a suneater? I didn't think the red was supposed to be able to tap into beings of that sort of cosmic tier. if they are doing that then pretty much any entity in the universe is on the table when talking about the red.
    Yeah, apparently he mimicked the speed of a suneater (as mentioned in this video); plus he's got some other feats that Vixen should also be capable of, since she and Animal Man have similar powers: (Vixen is also shown in some of this video, since she guest-starred in a few "Animal Man" issues):

how would you guys raise Vixen's status within the DC universe? like let's say DC gave you unlimited resources to make whatever story you want for Vixen if you can take her and elevate her to Batman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, The Flash levels; how do you do it? do you start with the red? do you start with magic? espionage?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

how would you guys raise Vixen's status within the DC universe? like let's say DC gave you unlimited resources to make whatever story you want for Vixen if you can take her and elevate her to Batman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, The Flash levels; how do you do it? do you start with the red? do you start with magic? espionage?
    She owns a modeling company.

She also does a DC version of American's Top Model-where she sometimes host when needed.

The show is a cover that allows her to travel anywhere that she mihgt be needed. It also allows other DC heroes or heroines to work UNDER COVER as contestants.

So lets say Batman is chasing after say Firefly in Japan. Either he or one of the outsiders can be a contestant on the show and work with Vixen to help catch him.

It also allow others to "guest star" I mean take Risk from the 1996 Teen Titans let him be a contestant for the heck of it.

So now I have a door open to guest when needed.

Her rouge gallery-instead of creating new folks-I would venture into DC's past and see who could I dig up that is already around and could get revamped.

Like Dr Double X or Duke of Deception.

And while I am using ANTM for Vixen-to help her profile more-why not do two Vixen series.

One like the above and another where I would have FANS engage in a ANTM type online competition.

Pick 24 female or both genders. Use an pnline poll at DC site to choose the final 12.

Then either using establish art or making some new art-do the competition.

I would do it until I got to the final 2. I would then release the comic version of all that with some "extra" stuff like fighting some villian or whatever.

The last 3 issues- 1 would profile the last 2 and the last one would be who the winner is.

Pretty much both series would be Vixen by herself in some issue and her interactiing with other.

Incredible Member

I think first I would make her powers not come from the Totem. I know her powers are supposed to come from within but I don't think that's emphasized enough. O would also get rid of the becoming an animal weakness when she doesn't have a totem. Honestly feels disrespectful that the African women loses her humanity without her totem.

Her ancestors would play more into her story as well. I would make her totem harness the abilities gathered by her past ancestors kind of like Avatar the past airbender. She could commune with Tantu and other past ancestors. I would also establish her enemies from previous ancestors. I tried to read up a little on African folklore, unfortunately I haven't come to a full understanding of it.

ENEMIES
    The Werehyena would be an enemy of the first Totem bearer that's com back to seek revenge on the Jiwe descendent. Later one of the werehyena would become an ally. They would probably be in the first story arc.

Next would be the adaptation of the python, tiger, and hornets from Anansi folklore. I imagined them to be like mini gods/occult worshippers. I haven't planned it out to much.

Allies
    Honestly I would make Anansi an ally. I would make him like the Cheshire cat from Alice in wonderland who speaks in riddles and stories but is never a full antagonist. At most when he challenges Mari it would be to test her. A Werehyena ally like I said earlier. I thought about giving her a Vodun ally but I honestly don't know much about that. Plus I feel like Voodoo and is a little to demonized in America.

That's all I got so far.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I always wondered why DC didnt push Vixen as hard as Cyborg especially since they dont really have any black female characters who are "big". She is a model, into fashion, they could make her big in this day and age.

She needs to be Justice League, get her own title, put into the animated Justice League, get a new actress to do a tv series.

I'm one for starting with the "origin" which involves the totem, traveling the world as a model/influencer who also fights crime secretly. Down the road introduce the red via Animal Man and eventually reveal that she has limited magical abilities even without the totem but they still enhance it. I loved her brief relationship with John Stewart in JLU so i'd adapt that for the comics and allow them to crossover. Her totem gives her access to even alien wildlife so she can help on any planet she is on.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Her powers are more "If I believe it, it will work".

20200621_093922.jpg

Case in point, I was looking at this picture and it dawned on me. An Afrucan Elephant with maximum effort can press slight above 10 tons. Which is impressive and puts her strength around a calm Spider-man level. Now here the problem, she turning over a tank and they're weigh on average 50 to 75 tons.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I’ve always thought Animal man and Vixen being able to mimic aliens and magic creatures was a little overkill. Their are enough obscure and interesting real animal abilities out their that they shouldn’t have to resort to that. Plus I kind of think it breaks the characters. By giving them that ability you are pretty much saying they have every power in existence and once you have that you have no drama.

Limitless heroes tend to be less interesting heroes in the long run. Plus it’s clearly much more difficult for creators to come up with interesting stories for cosmic level heroes. It’s one thing for characters like Swamp Thing and Dream (Endless) to go all cosmic. Those characters were never meant to be traditional superheroes. But Vixen and Animal Man (and evening Beast Boy) are meant to be traditional superheroes that regularly interact with other superheroes. I don’t see how making them that powerful really helps them.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 06-21-2020 at 08:17 AM.

I guess another case could be made that Vixen can manipulate the enegy of the "Red" to create force fields and animal exoskeletons.

20200621_094533.jpgSuicide Squad #34 1987
    Animal Man (1988-1995) 044-003.jpgAnimal Man #44 1992
    20200621_100127.jpg Damage #12 2018

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I’ve always thought Animal man and Vixen being able to mimic aliens and magic creatures was a little overkill. Their are enough obscure and interesting real animal abilities out their that they shouldn’t have to resort to that. Plus I kind of think it breaks the characters. By giving them that ability you are pretty much saying they have every power in existence and once you have that you have no drama.

Limitless heroes tend to be less interesting heroes in the long run. Plus it’s clearly much more difficult for creators to come up with interesting stories for cosmic level heroes. It’s one thing for characters like Swamp Thing and Dream (Endless) to go all cosmic. Those characters were never meant to be traditional superheroes. But Vixen and Animal Man (and evening Beast Boy) are meant to be traditional superheroes that regularly interact with other superheroes. I don’t see how making them that powerful really helps them.
    I'm fine with them stretching their abilities a little, if they're in a strange environment (demon dimension/outer space) or the animal (aline like Krypto) now lives on our planet.

I also agree, when their on Earth they should mostly use animals living on Earth.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 06-21-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Her powers are more "If I believe it, it will work".

20200621_093922.jpg

Case in point, I was looking at this picture and it dawned on me. An Afrucan Elephant with maximum effort can press slight above 10 tons. Which is impressive and puts her strength around a calm Spider-man level. Now here the problem, she turning over a tank and they're weigh on average 50 to 75 tons.
    I think that's the first time I've ever seen those comic book panels...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I think first I would make her powers not come from the Totem.
    I would have the totem having unlocked her powers, but no longer be required in any way, other than perhaps serving as a plot device from time to time (Felix Faust attempts to seize it and steal her powers / connection to the Red away from her, tap it for his own evil purposes, for instance, but it's not something that any yob could do. If the Joker stole the totem, he'd have a hunk of wood, and she'd claw his face off, 'cause he's not a sorcerer like Faust or Wotan or Circe or Jinx or whomever.).

And I'd stick to earth animals, and not fantasy beasties or alien critters or 'proportional strength of X' or 'strength of a 1000 Y' or whatever. That just feels like lazy writing for her to be able to crap out made up powers willy nilly. 'Oh, I use the power of alien-beast-you've-never-heard-of to create an earthquake!' Limiting her to earth animals sets her at some already awesome power levels, being 'merely' as strong as a blue whale, fast as a cheetah, fly like a falcon, etc. (And still makes her a hundred times more powerful than friggin' Batman, who is just fine as a character without being able to bench-press the moon or run faster than hyperbole.)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 06-21-2020 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I wish DC would do more with Vixen. She is a compelling character with a unique powerset & appearance along with a fun-loving feisty personality (especially her animated version). I think she could easily be DC's number two female superhero (behind only Wonder Woman) if properly pushed. It is a sin she has been criminally underutilized for so long.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-21-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I wish DC would do more with Vixen. She is a compelling character with a unique powerset & appearance along with a fun-loving feisty personality (especially her animated version). I think she could easily be DC's number two female superhero (behind only Wonder Woman) if properly pushed. It is a sin she has been criminally underutilized for so long.
    Does DC even have a clear cut number 2 female hero? Supergirl and Batgirl got their popularity from their connections to Superman and Batman. But yeah I agree Vixen has a ton of potential! I find it crazy that she hasn’t even had a solo (she’s had a mini). Heck Voodoo and Silencer have more solo success than Mari... oh DC
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Does DC even have a clear cut number 2 female hero? Supergirl and Batgirl got their popularity from their connections to Superman and Batman. But yeah I agree Vixen has a ton of potential! I find it crazy that she hasn’t even had a solo (she’s had a mini). Heck Voodoo and Silencer have more solo success than Mari... oh DC
    They don't have a clear cut number two, which is why I feel Vixen could fill the void. That said, to do so she'll need an actual push which DC won't give her (for whatever reason)...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."