Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I think it'd be fun for a character to have a truly civilian supporting cast again. There aren't many of those anymore, it seems like. And most are older ones where the cast was established decades ago. I particularly think it might be a good idea for a love interest (if she has one). But if it's she's dating another cape, at least don't make it one more popular than her. Let her be the primary instead of the love interest, if you know what I mean? Don't define her as "X's girlfriend." A new civilian not associated with any other hero also means writers wouldn't have to worry about someone else wanting to do something with that character and screwing up any long-term plans. Though there is a highly likely downside of a new writer coming along and jettisoning all the existing supporting cast (happened to Wonder Woman and Supergirl so many times, and has been done with Impulse and Superboy each before, too).
    That's the gamble you take with ongoing stories. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to a civilian love interests so it depends on what the writer wants to do. A superhero love interest is just an easier springboard/selling point but it can come with its own baggage. You never know what people are gonna respond too.

In terms of villians I could see the new writer just creating a bunch of new ones but you could mix in a few old favorites. Does she have any recurring villians because I think the only rogues she has are from the CW stuff. I'd probably bring in Dr Psycho, Silver Swan, Queen Bee, as they'd be fun matchups for Vixen.

In terms of villians I could see the new writer just creating a bunch of new ones but you could mix in a few old favorites. Does she have any recurring villians because I think the only rogues she has are from the CW stuff. I'd probably bring in Dr Psycho, Silver Swan, Queen Bee, as they'd be fun matchups for Vixen.
    I'm not keen on heroes filching other heroes' villains. At least not for more than the occasional one-off. Most need their own rogues and Diana really doesn't have enough strong ones to spare any. But, just as with supporting casts, a lot of writers want to jettison the old ones and create new ones when they come in, which can lead to new heroes or those without established rogues never getting established rogues because no new writers want to play without someone else's villains unless they're the ones the writer read as a kid. So that makes creating new ones possibly not useful long-term, too. Plusses and minuses to both sides, I guess.

I would LOVE for Vixen to be a mentor for Freedom Beast

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I'm not keen on heroes filching other heroes' villains. At least not for more than the occasional one-off. Most need their own rogues and Diana really doesn't have enough strong ones to spare any. But, just as with supporting casts, a lot of writers want to jettison the old ones and create new ones when they come in, which can lead to new heroes or those without established rogues never getting established rogues because no new writers want to play without someone else's villains unless they're the ones the writer read as a kid. So that makes creating new ones possibly not useful long-term, too. Plusses and minuses to both sides, I guess.
    With Characters like Batman, it's near impossible to break the top ten in the villain hierarchy. At best your settling for a future minor cameo villain. To me, it's the mid-tier heroes like Aquaman and Green Arrow that should really be the focus of writers who want to create new villains. Mid tiers are established brands but they are not so crowded with characters that a new villain has no chance of catching on.

Look at Aquaman for example. He has Black Manta and Ocean Master, but after that, you're dealing with b tier villains like King Shark. The character is ripe for some good creator to come along and create an iconic new villain.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Is she even old enough to be a mentor to him? They seem to be about the same age and have about as much experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Is she even old enough to be a mentor to him? They seem to be about the same age and have about as much experience.
    She could mentor him on how to deal with international heroics or how to be a part of a superhero team.

Ultimate Member

Dc got enough villians collecting dust to build a rogue gallery for everybody.

Wonder Woman actually has plenty and there are some to give Vixen a decent gallery.

Extraordinary Member

Has Vixen ever met Nubia?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In terms of experience, we know next to nothing about the current iteration because he's rarely used, so I don't think it would be too much of a stretch if they reveal he's still establishing himself as a superhero compared to Vixen.

plus, I'm thinking moreso from the angle of her mentoring him in the Red. Animal Man gets all the clout for the Red it would be nice to see Vixen have an avenue to flex her Red knowledge/mastery while simultaneously helping another African superhero (as DC has very few of note, and less with any real significance) gain more visibility. additionally Freedom beast's aesthetic imo lends itself to him looking younger to me, I don't think they've revealed anything that points to his age lately, so they could also use that to ambiguity and cement him as a younger hero. which would put him in the position to join the Titans or Young Justice or Teen Titans (depending on how young they wanna go) and if they roll him into Vixen's world it would give her a protege in the junior league like all the other bigger names. Batman = bat clan, Superman = Superboy, Flash = Kid Flashes and Impulse, Wonder Woman = Troia and Cassie Sandsmark, Aquaman = Aqualad and Tempest, Green Lantern = Teen Lantern, etc etc
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Honestly I'm more open to it after Daredevil became my favorite superhero. Sometimes characters need to move around to find their best home.

Dont get me wrong if there are existing Vixen villians I'm cool with them getting developed. But matching Vixen with existing characters is part of the fun of a shared universe.

Im not advocating them to become permanent staples of Vixen's potential rogues gallery.

If I ever get to write Vixen, i wanna pair her up with Black Orchid and Deadman. They could be her trinity, not just Red/Green/Rot but also Id/Superego/Ego.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-30-2020 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Just a thought.

Probably controversial, but I'm just not interested the Red/Green thing. Haven't read much of it, but I really, strongly dislike it being attached to characters who didn't have it originally. Beast Boy/Changeling and (to a much lesser extent) Poison Ivy being prime examples. I mean, I do understand the shared mythos aspect. But it's just something I am not interested in in concept or in reading about. Especially if it changes the nature of already existing characters.

Probably controversial, but I'm just not interested the Red/Green thing. Haven't read much of it, but I really, strongly dislike it being attached to characters who didn't have it originally. Beast Boy/Changeling and (to a much lesser extent) Poison Ivy being prime examples. I mean, I do understand the shared mythos aspect. But it's just something I am not interested in in concept or in reading about. Especially if it changes the nature of already existing characters.
    I don't understand how these concepts change the nature of the characters. all it does it put a name to and provides a better understanding of the source of their power; their origins stay the same, their powers stay the same, their personalities stay the same. it's not your cup of tea it's not your cup of tea, but changing the nature of the character? that's a bit of a reach.

currently following:

Ultimate Member

I'm fine with Animal Man being all tied to the Red, but prefer Vixen getting her power from Anansi / the Tantu Totem, instead.

Not everything needs to be tied to the same power source, just as not every super-fast person has to tap the Speed Force (some are Kryptonians!), and not every energy-construct-maker needs a power ring / connection to the emotional spectrum (hello Argent and Dr. Light!). Similarly, I don't think Aquaman needs to be connected to the fishy-flavored side of the Red, either, just because he's got a specific version of animal telepathy/command.

Freedom Beast seems like he is already aware and has experiences with The Red. I think Beast Boy would be a great mentee for Vixen, he could learn about the primordial force of all animal life because so far from what I have seen he does not seem fully aware of it. It would be cool if he knows about it, and explore more of his powers and origin.
    Last edited by Incognito; 07-01-2020 at 10:17 AM.

I don't understand how these concepts change the nature of the characters. all it does it put a name to and provides a better understanding of the source of their power; their origins stay the same, their powers stay the same, their personalities stay the same. it's not your cup of tea it's not your cup of tea, but changing the nature of the character? that's a bit of a reach.
    Perhaps it is. I know there's a been a lot of change in BB's power and how it influences his relationship to/thoughts on non-human animals over the years and perhaps I inaccurately attribute that to the Red. Certainly though, it leaves open the possibility for the Red to influence him and impact his action which isn't there otherwise (or at least is very much smaller).

I disagree it provides a "better understanding" - it's completely different understanding and reality, not a better one ("better" is subjective, of course), and very much moves Gar and Ivy more away from the realm of science and to the realm of something closer to magic, which I'm not fond of. But I prefer chemicals and lightning to the Speed Force, too, so take it for what's worth.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-01-2020 at 10:51 AM.