Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Deathstroke or Red Lion
    Red Lion would be perfect lol. Especially since Redjack also has prior experience writing T’Challa.

I know Vixen has dipped a toe in some akan and yoruba mythology, are there any African myths you guys would like to see? which ones would you incorporate if given the chance?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I know Vixen has dipped a toe in some akan and yoruba mythology, are there any African myths you guys would like to see? which ones would you incorporate if given the chance?
    I'd have Vixen encounter Shango and Oya...
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

She's supposed to be Zambesi(dumb name Zambia's already a thing) why not give her myths relevant to that Zambia or the general region?

Have her fight the Nyami Nyami aka Zambezi Water Snake or encounter Kitapo mermaids

december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I hope they bring Ben Turner in as a supporting character/LI. Maybe a few Amazons too, some could be villains.

Astonishing Member

What region of Africa is Vixen supposed to come from? Her home country is Zambesi, which indicates Southern Africa, but her patron god is Anansi, a West African god. I'd probably want her to fight a deity from wherever she originates, but I'd like to see her meet up with some Orisha.

Astonishing Member

I hope they bring Ben Turner in as a supporting character/LI. Maybe a few Amazons too, some could be villains.
    DC is sitting on one of the best black romances in comics and they don't even realize it. Sad.

As for villains, outside rival gods of Anansi, Red Lion and HIVE would be cool. But I'd be really excited for original villains as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    DC is sitting on one of the best black romances in comics and they don't even realize it. Sad.

As for villains, outside rival gods of Anansi, Red Lion and HIVE would be cool. But I'd be really excited for original villains as well.
    I don't know why comics seem so averse to Black couples in healthy relationships.

Thumbs up

I don't know why comics seem so averse to Black couples in healthy relationships.
    It's a general problem across all media. Typically (especially in the past two decades or so) black people are only displayed as being in a happy stable relationship if it is a bi-racial one (white male x black female seems the most common example of this, by far).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

What region of Africa is Vixen supposed to come from? Her home country is Zambesi, which indicates Southern Africa, but her patron god is Anansi, a West African god. I'd probably want her to fight a deity from wherever she originates, but I'd like to see her meet up with some Orisha.
    Zambesi appears to be an amalgam of different regions like like Wakanda, due to writers typically not really having any real idea of how to write africa consistently, but I feel they usually lean more west and south culturally. I would like to see her dig deeper into more West African mythologies, I'm a little bias because I'm West African. Anansi myths spread all over and West Africa is very diverse culturally. I don't see why she can't dig into the Orishas from Yoruba, Odinani of the igbos, explore more of the Ashanti than just Anansi, etc. there is the book I read called Black Leopard, Red Wolf, it was a showcasing of very deep African mythology they covers typically over looked myths from West Africa to South like Dibias, Impundulu, water spirits (which themselves are a subgenre of different myths), and so on.

one I would pitch personally is Komosu. Komosu is like the the parent "god" to Chukwu in Igbo mythology (Odinani), and is sort of the mother of creation. the story goes that she and Chukwu were the first things in creation and the universe was created when Chukwu was creating something and Komosu entered is creation space unexpectedly, causing the an explosion that blew her away and created the owa (the universe) from her body; which became thd cosmic blackness of creation (Odi Akwu) from which the universe comes from. in the mythology, Udido Okwanka the spider sits on top of everything continues weaving Odi Akwu into the universe. it's vert expansive and I'm leaving a lot out (and probably butchering the myth a bit) but none the less the play on ideas of creation and life-giving could naturally be flipped to connect the existing spider god connection Vixen has into the red if done the right way. and I wanna focus on spiders because I dream of the day that they bring in a version of Anansi from the Static tv show because he was fucking rad!

on the other, less complicated, hand wouldn't hurt to just have her team up with Shango or Kalu Akanu who are basically just African Thor-types. simple and awesome!
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-25-2020 at 12:01 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

My idea for Vixen villains are:

Floronic Man
    Roxy Rocket
    Baby Doll
    Calendar Girl
    Volcana
    Livewire
    Tattooed Man

I would have liked to have added Poison Ivy and Clayface but they're not full on villains anymore.

I chose nature based, weather based, and villains who were in the entertainment industry in their civillian lives, and yes most of them are from the batman animated series as well superman animated series.

I'm missing magic based and tech based villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I missed this whole thing but I was so happy to see anything related to Vixen...I just don't know whether to get my hopes up lol.

I remember the writer Geoffrey Thorn being mentioned by Bleeding Cool as one of the non-comic book writers DC and WB were recruiting.

As for the design, I like it in spite of the bird crotch, I'm feeling the sportiness of it all but I'm not seeing these animals you guys are seeing ...maybe that's a phone thing idk.

I would prefer it if she was in her regular orange/yellow jumpsuit with her halle berry pixie cut hair style.

But if outside of the costume they model her after Miss Universe 2019 Zozibini Tunzi, I think I'll be fine with eveything.

Here's a pic of Zozibini Tunzi for reference:

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Lastly I'm aware of some of the spaces on YouTube and on the internet with black women complaining about being masculinized by the media. Lots of valid points (the Strong Black Woman trope needs to go) but where they lose me is when they complain about this in media that contains characters meant to be power fantasies and fighters. And a lot of their ideas on what black feminity should look and feel like is based on what white feminity looks like, and white feminity was created by men to subjugate women.
    It's not an idea of feminity, it's what they actually feel as feminine beings.

White feminity being something created by men doesn't erase the fact that black women wanting black female characters to be treated like white female characters is valid. That's why black feminity exists in the first place b/c black women want to be looked at as strong and capable individuals but also as people who should be protected and uplifted, or are seen as vulnerable and desirable, the latter 4 of which is afforded to white women and most non-black women.

And black women are very much aware of characters that are meant to be power fantasies and fighters and they don't want those characters ...all the time.

The thing white/non-black women fight for when it comes to female characters are things black female characters are already given; and the things white/non-black women want to discard from female characters are the things that black women want for black female characters, prime example being 'damsels in distress' a trope most women hate, but for black women, they would love for a black female character to be in that position b/c those characters aren't ever allowed to be rescued b/c the trope for black women is they can save themselves.

In February of this year Bleeding Cool posted this article:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/rece...for-dc-comics/

In June of this year Geoffrey replied to this tweet:

Screenshot_20200925-045217_Twitter.jpg

I'm glad to see some leak of it was released to confirm it was still happening.

According to BC, Didio brought in Geoffrey and some other writers to DC and well, Didio's gone now and there's many changes at DC so I'm glad to see Vixen wasn't sacrificed and I hope what we're getting is a solo ongoing insyead of another one-shot or mini.

Edit:

Or this is just a one-shot, just read this thread:

https://twitter.com/chryslus/status/...321057796?s=19

Last edited by kurenai24; 09-25-2020 at 02:46 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    She's supposed to be Zambesi(dumb name Zambia's already a thing) why not give her myths relevant to that Zambia or the general region?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zambezi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zambezi,_Zambia

Try again?

Her home village is Zambesi, her home country is likely but not necessarily Zambia, specifically the "North-Western"/"Solwezi Province" under the name "M'Changa".

Her surname means "stone" in Swahilli, which also point to that general area.

While Anansi specifically is West African and the CWverse uses the Yuroba name in connection with the Totem's powers, such concepts are not unfamiliar to East Africans either.

*shrugs* It's kinda a hodge-podge really and honestly diving deeper into both to give a richer palette of allies and enemies wouldn't be a bad idea.

I always assumed Vixen's home region is inspired by the real-world Zambezi River Valley of Southern Africa (note not South Africa the country rather Africa south of the equator). Zambia and Zimbabwe are the two primary countries through which the river flows -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zambezi
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

More potential villains for Vixen:

Talia al Ghul
    Vandal Savage
    Court of Owls
    Zsasz
    Rose Wilson
    Cheshire
    Queen Bee