Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I considered that, but I feel once we go with an international team they kinda become redundant once a big event threatens the world and the only team that matters is the Justice League. international heroes isn't a super distinctive niche because they often don't feel very international, and often like a regular American team book with ethnically specific characters. so in my mind, the League is THE international team and all the big time established heroes are members of the JL institution like the JLU and current Snyder set-up. under that umbrella set up I think the international heroes having their own culturally specific niche teams under the Justice League framework is a cool route to go; New Super-man pulled it off amazing. Also Africa as a continent is typically done pretty dirty and kinda as a monolith, so I feel having their premiere African hero focus on exploring and showcasing the rich and diverse narrative playground that is africa is a great way to show that it's a dynamic setting that people shouldn't be afraid to explore in story.

She's the anti-Black Panther in that sense, Wakanda wants to be closed off and T'Challa fights to bring Wakanda to the world, Vixen could be about bringing the world to Africa. She can uniquely make people aware of the scope of the shadow colonialism and european/american imperialism cast over africa to this day in a way that Black Panther (as a culture that's removed from that history) can not.

Then she needs to be written by a writer who won't butcher this. Alternatively, it doesn't have to be "the west vs Africa", it could be dealing with corrupt African leaders or internal conflicts.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Then she needs to be written by a writer who won't butcher this. Alternatively, it doesn't have to be "the west vs Africa", it could be dealing with corrupt African leaders or internal conflicts.
    definitely, but having someone who won't butcher it is a given, ya know? luckily i'm just having fun, I doubt DC has even half of the cultural awareness or africana appreciation to think to begin to do this; but I can wish and dream. as for "west vs Africa" well it's more Africa vs the legacy of western imperialism, which includes the rise of African corruption, despots and warlord. that's why I included Jezebel Jet and Red Lion, both are as morally bankrupt as you can get for African villains and Ja Zaki is a straight up super dictator (my bad I mean "president for life")
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea I find characters with duplicate powers very boring. Some, like Miles, can break the mold and not annoy me but I think having characters with the same basic skillset is a detriment to a franchise if there's not enough distinction between them.
    I like Miles but I wouldn't say he broke the mold either.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Idk how each family member having a different totem works if totems something that's supposed to be shared across one clan/surname/lineage. If it's supposed to be shonen-esque maybe take the Naruto route and have different clans withing Vixen's kingdom/tribe who each have a different totem/powerset.
    Well "family" isn't meant to be literal. Most of the Spiders aren't related to Peter anyway.

But the clan idea works too.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    How do you prefer for Vixen to manifest her animal mimicking powers?

As a visible animal image, showing whatever animal she is mimicking at the time? (Still not 100% sure if the images can be seen by others but her battle with Damage and Kingbucther, shows the image can be damaged).
    Attachment 101547

Or do you prefer partial transformation where she shapeshifts parts of her body into certain animal appendages with specific attributes?
    Blind Cavefish
    Attachment 101548

Or full on transformation (Like Beastboy), where she takes on the physical form and attributes of the animal she is mimicking?
    Attachment 101549

Truthfully, I'm good with her using all three as it makes it hard to predict how she will attack.
    I agree, I think she should be able to manifest her animal powers however she wants, since she is an Animal Master. Personally, I think being unpredictable, sneaky, tricky, cunning, etc. should be part of her character/personality. She might come at you with no projections around and you have no idea what she's about to do to you. Or, she could purposely show you an animal projection to distract you and while you're focusing on the projection, she's actually mimicking an entirely different animal and both she AND the projection will attack you.

Like Anansi, I think she should be sort of a trickster, since a lot of animals are tricksters in their own ways and use certain strategies and ploys to survive.

Although I will say that physical animal projections can be limiting on the page or even onscreen because if you show her using a spider projection, how will you know what type of spider she is mimicking? The same with snakes, certain insects, etc. Which is why I miss her THINKING the specific animals she is mimicking. (I hate when writers have her saying the name of the animal out loud for everyone around her to hear because it takes away her unpredictability).
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 10-18-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I agree, I think she should be able to manifest her animal powers however she wants, since she is an Animal Master. Personally, I think being unpredictable, sneaky, tricky, cunning, etc. should be part of her character/personality. She might come at you with no projections around and you have no idea what she's about to do to you. Or, she could purposely show you an animal projection to distract you and while you're focusing on the projection, she's actually mimicking an entirely different animal and both she AND the projection will attack you.

Like Anansi, I think she should be sort of a trickster, since a lot of animals are tricksters in their own ways and use certain strategies and ploys to survive.

Although I will say that physical animal projections can be limiting on the page or even onscreen because if you show her using a spider projection, how will you know what type of spider she is mimicking? The same with snakes, certain insects, etc. Which is why I miss her THINKING the specific animals she is mimicking. (I hate when writers have her saying the name of the animal out loud for everyone around her to hear because it takes away her unpredictability).
    I just love the versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Love her yellow/orange color schemes:

Gina Torres also did a great job of voicing her:

Even though they took away her ability to fly, I gotta admit that did a great job of showing her versatility. Super-strength, super-speed, healing, agility, enhanced sense and super-sharp claws.

Plus trying to figure out how fast she was running to jump at least 7 stories

I was actually impressed by how easily her claws cut though stone and metal. .
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 10-19-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Someone posted this video today on YouTube:

Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Someone posted this video today on YouTube:

Not bad. It was a little disjointed but overall informative.

If I had more space I would update her powers and abilities on page 1. Add in her ability to mix and match animal abilities.

BANNED

I know, it's (a fan-made) Black Witch-Blade! 2018

the colour scheme tho... Vixen should at least get the hair color. just sayin'

If I wouldn't gave noticed the gems. I would have thought it was Witchblade.

Ultimate Member

For potential villains, I like the mentions upthread of Floronic Man (who has sort of inherited the plant-villain role as Ivy transitions away from pure villain), Queen Bee (particularly the version used in the Young Justice cartoon), Tattooed Man (whom I see as more of a merc / heavy used by a more mastermind-y sort, like Queen Bee) and Talia al-Ghul / the League of Shadows (who are active at least in north Africa, and perhaps across the continent).

For a more supernatural threat, the old Teen Titans sorceress Jinx could be interesting to flesh out, trying to perhaps tap into the totems to augment her own elemental magics and put her on a level with folk like Circe and Wotan. (Avoid the Teen Titans cartoon version, who is 100% a totally different character, IMO. and deserves to be treated as such.) The old Firestorm villains who share the name 'the Hyena' could also be a thing, and, since they keep getting killed and mysteriously returning for the next event, it could be discovered that they can only die for good if killed by a special material (they'll lie and say it's silver, but then show up again anyway, 'cause it totally isn't...).

Side characters, not necessarily foes, could revolve around African cryptids like the Mngwa or Mokole-Mbembe. There's a ton of lore to mine for ideas that has barely been touched!

I really think the Red would lend itself to interesting Lovecraftian visuals and that type of cosmic horror narrative aesthetic. I think remixing it with some African lore and cryptology could be a very striking approach to a higher profile genre story for Vixen.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I really think the Red would lend itself to interesting Lovecraftian visuals and that type of cosmic horror narrative aesthetic. I think remixing it with some African lore and cryptology could be a very striking approach to a higher profile genre story for Vixen.
    That might be an... unusual choice given the origins of Lovecraftian horror and visuals.

Vixen isn't a horror character anyway and it would be best to focus on African mythology for her that doesn't have any western influences.

Mighty Member

Plenty of that were in the superb New52 Animalman series which Animalman more predominantly horror than Superhero in all the best ways. Vixen can easily hop into that complimented by additions of her unique African lore as u have mentioned.

You really must read New52 Animalman if u haven't already.

Exclamation

Sportsmaster could be a good villain for Vixen. He can be hunting animals for sport. Brother Blood who I believe would serve better as a Justice League Dark villain could also be a decent choice for a Vixen villain since he was originally was going to be selected as the avatar of the red. He is not being treated in the Titans and he has a Blood Family as well as a church which worships a devil, he would serve better in the supernatural/occult side of the DC universe.

They already did some Lovecraftian elements with Animal Man (New 52).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That might be an... unusual choice given the origins of Lovecraftian horror and visuals.

Vixen isn't a horror character anyway and it would be best to focus on African mythology for her that doesn't have any western influences.
    True, she is not a horror character she is more in the same position as Wonder Woman, she is a myth/fantasy type character but the difference between WW and Vixen is that Vixen seems to be more of a low fantasy type character where she has supernatural powers and the supernatural/occult is secondary since she primary fight physical threats.
    Last edited by Incognito; 11-12-2020 at 04:00 AM.

BANNED

yeah, I think because of the contrast between Storms dark skin and her light eyes & hair that it's more noticeable when they lighten her tone, but it's honestly a problem with almost all black heroes at the big two. personally I think there needs to be character bibles at DC and Marvel that include exact color codes for the black characters skin tone or at least something that will say "this character is this complexion, that character is darker than this complexion, and these other characters are lighter than those characters' complexion". something to keep it consistent and avoid lightening them up because x, y, or z editor or colorist favors a lighter shade of brown.
    One of the advantages of African diaspora characters over Sub-Saharan African characters is that a wider range of black people can identify with each of your black characters. A light skin black kid may not be able to imagine himself growing up to play Black Panther, but there's no reason he can't play say Mr. Terrific, who can be any shade associated with Sub-Saharan heritage. Counting people in is the name of the game. I don't see people complain about Blade (technically half-White in the original comics) being played by Wesley Snipes.