Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Let Bumblebee be featured as a player character in video games and have more then a guest shot on a Tv series before we even start comparing her to Vixen in popularity.
    I would say they’re on the same level, with Karen edging out Mari in outside media, and Mari edging out Karen in the comics.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I would say they’re on the same level, with Karen edging out Mari in outside media, and Mari edging out Karen in the comics.
    How is she edging Vixen out in media? DC Super Hero Girl's is the only show she appears in on a regular basic and she only get's guest shot on Young Justice and Teen Titans Go.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to undercut her popularity (I'm glad she being used), I just don't see her having the same media push Vixen received over the years.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

How is she edging Vixen out in media? DC Super Hero Girl's is the only show she appears in on a regular basic and she only get's guest shot on Young Justice and Teen Titans Go.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to undercut her popularity (I'm glad she being used), I just don't see her having the same media push Vixen received over the years.
    Teen Titans
    Teen Titans Go
    Young Justice
    DC Super Hero Girls (Web Series)
    Super Hero Girls (CN show)
    Teen Titans Judas Contract (founder of the TT)

Super Hero Girls is a huge deal as it’s led to her having a ton of merchandise. Barbies, action figures, blankets, pillows, lego figures and even graphic novels and animated films focusing on her. All she’s missing is a live action interpretation, which is inevitable considering two of the main franchises she’s a part of, have a show (Titans and Doom Patrol).

Justice League Unlimited
    Brave and the Bold
    Justice League Action
    Vixen (animated show)
    Arrow
    Legends of Tomorrow

Both have unfortunately been used as just supporting players, but I feel Karen’s have left more of a lasting impact. SHG has done wonders for Bumblebee, it’s a shame it hasn’t showcased Vixen yet.

Teen Titans
    Teen Titans Go
    Young Justice

Super Hero Girls is a huge deal as it’s led to her having a ton of merchandise. Barbies, action figures, blankets, pillows, lego figures and even graphic novels and animated films focusing on her. All she’s missing is a live action interpretation, which is inevitable considering two of the main franchises she’s a part of, have a show (Titans and Doom Patrol).

Justice League Unlimited
    Brave and the Bold
    Justice League Action
    Vixen (animated show)
    Arrow
    Legends of Tomorrow

Both have unfortunately been used as just supporting players, but I feel Karen’s have left more of a lasting impact. SHG has done wonders for Bumblebee, it’s a shame it hasn’t showcased Vixen yet.
    I agree her time on Super Hero Girls has helped her a lot and I'm happy she finally getting some noticed...but SHG is not a winning factor.

So, we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

Teen Titans
    Teen Titans Go
    Young Justice

Justice League Unlimited
    Brave and the Bold
    Justice League Action
    Vixen (animated show)
    Arrow
    Legends of Tomorrow

Let's not forget Vixen's inclusion in a few video games as well (taken from Wikipedia):

Vixen appears in DC Universe Online.
    Vixen appears as a playable character in the portable version of Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes and pieces to assemble her are available in the console version.
    Vixen appears as a playable character via DLC in Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham.
    Vixen appears as a premier skin for Cheetah in Injustice 2, with Megalyn Echikunwoke reprising the role.
    Vixen appears as a playable character in Lego DC Super-Villains, voiced again by Megalyn Echikunwoke.

And now to be fair, Bumblebee's inclusion in video games as well (taken from Wikipedia):

Bumblebee appears as an unlockable character in the Teen Titans console game, voiced again by T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh.
    Bumblebee is a boss in Superman Returns. This version is accompanied by a 'hive' of clones and acts as a villain with no explanation on why.
    Bumblebee appears as a playable character in Young Justice: Legacy, voiced by Masasa Moyo.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 03-31-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Here my problem with Bumblebee and Vixen, as the two premier black females in DC, they're rarely used and when they are it's to show representation.
    With THAT in mind, it’s unnecessary to pit the characters against one another. There’s room enough for both Strong Black Women (*tm)

Also, I know it's become an iconic look for Vixen but I'm sick of the short hair. Long hair would be a nice switch.
    We almost got that with the early proposal for a Justice League by Bruce Timm. We had long braids before, and I wouldn’t mind not along those lines. I see Vixen as more of a natural hairstyle paragon despite her early appearance having her with long straight hair.

Speaking of that first appearance and of Halle Berry being the obvious inspiration for her animated appearance in her series...
    I still contend the Catwoman costume worn by Berry in the unfortunate movie of that name was much better adaptation of a Vixen look than its intended character...
    3C065FA7-9042-4AD9-BE4F-1BD684F17163.jpg

It's funny how easy I've been brainwashed into thinking Vixen looks like Halle Berry in the real world.

To me, what makes Vixen deadly is she looks like a pin-up model and not someone who can throw a 65 ton tank with ease.

halle-alma-0211-3.jpg

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

The problem with Vixen is that their is an equally popular character with the same power (animal man) and another way more popular character with a similar power(Beast-boy). What she needs is a unique hook, an interesting angle that will separate her from all the other animal mimics.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The problem with Vixen is that their is an equally popular character with the same power (animal man) and another way more popular character with a similar power(Beast-boy). What she needs is a unique hook, an interesting angle that will separate her from all the other animal mimics.
    Which was kind of the reason I was cool with the way they portrayed her abilities in Damage. She still used her animal powers but it was more like a Green Lantern's constructions. She covered herself in a pink exoskeleton that took on the visible animal forms she was mimicking at the time. If she is able to control the size, strength and durability of these constructions, that alone should be enough to set her apart from the other users of the RED.

RCO014_1582347774.jpg
    RCO015_1582347774.jpg
    RCO016_1582347774.jpg

Her constructions even proved powerful enough to knock Damage around. A character who went one on one with Superman.
    RCO008_1582347774.jpg
    RCO009_1582347774.jpg
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 04-01-2020 at 03:14 PM.

If we can have a million and one Bat characters running around punching people (some of them with their own solo books) and two or three or four or five Kryptonian-type people running around shooting laser beams out of their eyes or whatever, and numerous Earth Green Lanterns running around pointing their rings at people and things, I think Vixen being one of three animal mimics will be just fine.

Also, in the Vixen Appreciation 2019 thread, you said the same thing, having said "I feel vixen needs an interesting hook. Right now she’s just an interesting character with a versatile power set." And so now I will ask you again what I asked you in that thread in response to your question: What type of interesting hook do you have in mind?

And I'll also repeat the other response I gave to you in that thread:

For me, Vixen's hooks are that she is:

1. A billionaire

2. A businesswoman

3. A supermodel/fashion model/reality TV star (reality TV star as mentioned in her Rebirth one-shot)

4. A superheroine

5. An Animal Master

6. A philanthropist

7. A genius (if she mimics the genius-level intellect of certain humans, which are also animals. The magic of her powers might make this possible).

Plus she comes from a fictional African country, which they could turn into an interesting location on DC Earth instead of having it be some war-torn country or whatever negative stereotype they had it being in the past. Zambesi could be an African country known for magic, or something, like Wakanda on Marvel Earth is known for being technologically advanced.

And that's just for starters. DC Entertainment has given ongoing solo books to other characters with far less hooks, in my opinion.

Also, Vixen's powers being based in magic might be the very thing that sets her apart from Animal Man and Beast Boy. As she said in the Injustice 2 video game, hers is no ordinary magic. THAT can be explored and further developed, a unique form of magic that no one has really explored. Writers could go all out exploring Vixen's type of magic.

And there's also the fact that she is Anansi's champion...she's the champion of a GOD. SO MUCH can be explored with that, too.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 04-01-2020 at 08:30 PM.

It's funny how easy I've been brainwashed into thinking Vixen looks like Halle Berry in the real world.

To me, what makes Vixen deadly is she looks like a pin-up model and not someone who can throw a 65 ton tank with ease.

halle-alma-0211-3.jpg
    I've been imagining Vixen looking like Rihanna, just with a darker skin tone. Plus Rihanna's running her own businesses, like Mari.

Last edited by MoneySpider; 04-01-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I've been imagining Vixen looking like Rihanna, just with a darker skin tone. Plus Rihanna's running her own businesses, like Mari.

Nice little fine with the Vibe: Vixen editions

I know I'm gonna piss someone off but I never seen Vixen as dark skin. Again, this might comes from Halle Berry being Vixen in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    With THAT in mind, it’s unnecessary to pit the characters against one another. There’s room enough for both Strong Black Women (*tm)

We almost got that with the early proposal for a Justice League by Bruce Timm. We had long braids before, and I wouldn’t mind not along those lines. I see Vixen as more of a natural hairstyle paragon despite her early appearance having her with long straight hair.

Speaking of that first appearance and of Halle Berry being the obvious inspiration for her animated appearance in her series...
    I still contend the Catwoman costume worn by Berry in the unfortunate movie of that name was much better adaptation of a Vixen look than its intended character...
    3C065FA7-9042-4AD9-BE4F-1BD684F17163.jpg
    I agree it’s not a competition and we shouldn’t pit Vixen against Bumblebee but instead encourage DC to push both women and throw in Armanda Waller, Voodoo, Thunder, Lightning, Rocket, Enpress, Naomi, Jo...etc. I tend to fall into that stupid rule of one with minority characters that the media has engrained us with unfortunately...

I'd say Vixen is more popular than Animal Man.