Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I don't understand why not just make a Starfire YA OGN. Focusing it on some original character feels a bit pointless, but I guess the creator was allowed to do whatever she wanted for a concept as long as it involved Starfire probably? Yeah, Raven does feel like it would fit the "goth" thing more, but I dunno. DC has been releasing so many of these YA OGNs that I really wonder how well they have done. Some like the Raven one did well, but then there are others that came and went and no one ever mentioned them.
    A part of me wonders if this is a personal story for Tamaki that she's using Starfire as a means of expressing.

Or maybe she had an affection for Starfire and felt like telling this story with her, even if Starfire isn't the main character. But it just feels kind of weird.

Also, Blackfire is totally the villain, right?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, it sounds like an interesting story, but kind of random to involve Starfire (who isn't even the main character). I mean, the girl looks more like Raven's daughter.

Are we supposed to assume she's Dick's kid ?
    Raven is one of those characters I can't see ever having kids. But the kid looks more like Raven. Possible adoption stotyline?

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Raven is one of those characters I can't see ever having kids. But the kid looks more like Raven. Possible adoption stotyline?
    Well, from the plot it sounds like she's deliberately trying to look nothing like her mom, but I hope they joke about her looking like Raven .

Oh man, now I'm imagining a granddaughter of Trigon...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I just don't get this at all. I can at least understand Gotham High's appeal as a highschool AU. And this thing is giving off a My Immortal-esque bad self insert fanfic vibe. As I've criticized the YA OGN line of before, they're generally too elseworld-ish for my tastes, but if we were going to get a story about Starfire's daughter, I would have preferred an on model version of Nightstar/Mar'i Grayson. This is just weirding me out. If we're going for the goth girl audience(the audience they're going for I presume), I can't help but feel another Raven ogn would have been a better choice.

Also this person points out, the way Starfire is described in the solicitation has a very bitter and negative sounding slant to it https://twitter.com/elektrwing/statu...06962848440326 . It might be more nuanced in practice with mandy needing to learn to understand her mom, but on the surface it sounds like it's saying Starfire is wrong for being "bright, bubbly, and scantily-clad".

I also don't think it would be in character for Starfire to have trouble empathizing daughter as I don't see Kory being the type to to put needless pressure on her kids, or care about the SATs, or have a problem with her daughter being gay. Relationships are two way things so things could be in part to Mandy here being a rebellious teenager, but once again, I'm not sure there will be that kind of nuance.
    Starfire is the last character to have issues with her daughter being gay, considering that Tamaranean culture is extremely sexually liberated.

Raven is supposed to be getting another comic eventually, continuing the plots set up in the first one and the BB comic.

Maybe Raven is a cool honorary aunt she wants to emulate?

Mandy does have green eyes like Kori, so she's definitely Tamaranean, no reason to think adoption is involved.

But why is her name Mandy Koriand'r? And'r seems to be Kori's surname, as her brother and sister have similar names (Ryand'r and Kommand'r). Assuming her father is Nightwing, you'd expect her name to be Mandiand'r Grayson - which could still be Mandy for short.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Starfire is the last character to have issues with her daughter being gay, considering that Tamaranean culture is extremely sexually liberated.

Raven is supposed to be getting another comic eventually, continuing the plots set up in the first one and the BB comic.
    Have we ever seen Tamaran's views on same-sex relationships?

And nothing in the link I posted suggests Kory has an issue with Mandy's weight, sexuality or goth lifestyle. We only know she's keeping the fact she didn't take the SATs a secret from Kory but for all we know, Kory might be understanding of the situation. It sounds to me like it's less Kory being a bad parent and rather the expectations people have of Mandy for being Kory's daughter.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-30-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

People got "Kory is an aloof parent" from that synopsis? All I got was "daughter of megacelebrity has a tough time going through time universally understood to be harrowing."

The only problem I had is that, visually, she looks nothing like Kory so I just shrugged my shoulders and said "I guess?" Is the person from her past her dad, possibly Dick Grayson?

With respect to Tamaranian sexuality, that they're so sexually open and it's never come up tells me they probably don't understand that it's seen as unusual elsewhere. Seems like it'd be a non-issue. "You like who you like" seems to be the rule of cool over there, so long as everyone's a consenting adult of course.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe Raven is a cool honorary aunt she wants to emulate?

Mandy does have green eyes like Kori, so she's definitely Tamaranean, no reason to think adoption is involved.

But why is her name Mandy Koriand'r? And'r seems to be Kori's surname, as her brother and sister have similar names (Ryand'r and Kommand'r). Assuming her father is Nightwing, you'd expect her name to be Mandiand'r Grayson - which could still be Mandy for short.
    Kori is a single parent and kept her name and gave it to her daughter why is it hard

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Kori is a single parent and kept her name and gave it to her daughter why is it hard
    Well, I always assumed that Koriand'r was her surname. But it's possible that Tamaraneans don't have family names and thus when electing to have her daughter live on Earth (why would you do that Kori, the air seems cleaner on Tamaran!) she had to pick one and just went with her own, I guess ?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, I always assumed that Koriand'r was her surname. But it's possible that Tamaraneans don't have family names and thus when electing to have her daughter live on Earth (why would you do that Kori, the air seems cleaner on Tamaran!) she had to pick one and just went with her own, I guess ?
    Traditionally Starfire's assumed earth identity/adaptation of her name was Kory Anders. in which case Mandy's name should be Mandy Anders. Can't remember when she last used it.

Koriand'r is not her family name. A case could be made for 'r or -and'r being the equivalent though given the naming structure of her immediate family, though her known granfdparent's and uncles break the pattern with -thus.
    Korithus (grandfather)
    Talathus (grandmother)
    Myand'r (father)
    Luand'r (mother)
    Komand'r (sister, Blackfire)
    Ryand'r (brother, Darkfire)
    Korthus (uncle)
    Scrithus (uncle)

It should be noted she never modified her name when married to Karras (Karras's Father was named Tharras, but his mother was named Salja, his sister was named Xannis.)

Edit:further checking the DC wiki, her Father was named Mythus before marriage. Indicating the suffices -and'r and -thus are equivalents to family names, and that in Tamarean tradition, the husband adopts the wife's family suffice.
    Last edited by Artemisfanboy; 12-01-2020 at 03:42 AM.

Weird pitch, but whatev. Different strokes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Traditionally Starfire's assumed earth identity/adaptation of her name was Kory Anders. in which case Mandy's name should be Mandy Anders. Can't remember when she last used it.

Koriand'r is not her family name. A case could be made for 'r or -and'r being the equivalent though given the naming structure of her immediate family, though her known granfdparent's and uncles break the pattern with -thus.
    Korithus (grandfather)
    Talathus (grandmother)
    Myand'r (father)
    Luand'r (mother)
    Komand'r (sister, Blackfire)
    Ryand'r (brother, Darkfire)
    Korthus (uncle)
    Scrithus (uncle)

It should be noted she never modified her name when married to Karras (Karras's Father was named Tharras, but his mother was named Salja, his sister was named Xannis.)

Edit:further checking the DC wiki, her Father was named Mythus before marriage. Indicating the suffices -and'r and -thus are equivalents to family names, and that in Tamarean tradition, the husband adopts the wife's family suffice.
    Starfire doesn’t have a secret identity, she has not in decades. Koriand’r is the only name she has to give to connect her daughter to who she is. Kory Anders is a fake name so she could fit into earth when she was young, she doesn’t have to whitewash herself anymore

Who is @DanielRPK? He does scoops like Emre Kaya?