Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

It looks better than what she had, which was objectively awful before, but she doesn't really look like Starfire still. She needs to be orange to really feel like an alien I think. Cosplayers are able to do it and make it look nice. If only her head and hands are going to be exposed with the new costume then you'd think making her orange would be a lot easier, but I guess they can't really do that now after two seasons of not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It looks better than what she had, which was objectively awful before, but she doesn't really look like Starfire still. She needs to be orange to really feel like an alien I think. Cosplayers are able to do it and make it look nice. If only her head and hands are going to be exposed with the new costume then you'd think making her orange would be a lot easier, but I guess they can't really do that now after two seasons of not doing it.
    The costume seems totally Starfire to me, so other than her skin color not matching comic Kori's she just about has the look for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The costume seems totally Starfire to me, so other than her skin color not matching comic Kori's she just about has the look for me.
    The orange skin is a big issue as that is what makes her look like a normal human or an alien. It's a big part of the character's identity, but I guess they didn't even bother to make Beast Boy green outside his hair, so it isn't limited to just her. It's just when you look at a Doom Patrol that went out of its way to make its characters look odd or more comic book-y you really get the feeling that they are this group of outsiders where in Titans they feel so bland in comparison. Feels like they have had so many missteps with this series, but apparently it still does well I think for streaming shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The orange skin is a big issue as that is what makes her look like a normal human or an alien. It's a big part of the character's identity, but I guess they didn't even bother to make Beast Boy green outside his hair, so it isn't limited to just her. It's just when you look at a Doom Patrol that went out of its way to make its characters look odd or more comic book-y you really get the feeling that they are this group of outsiders where in Titans they feel so bland in comparison. Feels like they have had so many missteps with this series, but apparently it still does well I think for streaming shows.
    I feel like bandages and a metal suit are probably more practical for stunt actors compared to painting Anna Diop's skin.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I think she looks perfect except that I'm disappointed that they've completely abandoned the red wig. Though maybe that has something to do with her power loss.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I think she looks perfect except that I'm disappointed that they've completely abandoned the red wig. Though maybe that has something to do with her power loss.
    I think it's just a test image. She'll probably have the wig for the actual show.

Beastboy not getting one lol

He was never in the doom patrol he would have to make his from scratch
    Something that morphs with him.
    Huh? Beast Boy was never in the Doom Patrol in that version? Odd choice, given that's where he debuted in the comics.

We don't really know what's going on with the Titans next or who will even be on the team come the relaunch.
    Well its apparent that they are making a strong suggestion about the OG team coming back, that's just reading the images they put out.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I think it's just a test image. She'll probably have the wig for the actual show.
    We've seen some behind the scenes pictures from Anna herself. That's the wig she's wearing, it looks like.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Well its apparent that they are making a strong suggestion about the OG team coming back, that's just reading the images they put out.
    Sans Wally .
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    We've seen some behind the scenes pictures from Anna herself. That's the wig she's wearing, it looks like.
    Huh. I wonder if they'll dye it...

Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter Mandy, in I Am Not Starfire YA OGN

From New York Times bestselling author Mariko Tamaki (Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me, Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass) and artist Yoshi Yoshitani (Zatanna and the House of Secrets) comes a story about Mandy, the daughter of super-famous superhero Starfire, and her desperate attempts to get out from under her shadow.

Seventeen-year-old Mandy Koriand'r is not her mother. Daughter of Starfire and high school outcast, Mandy is constantly trying to get out from under the shadow of her bright, bubbly, scantily clad, and famous mother. Dyeing her bright orange hair black and sticking close to her best friend, Lincoln, Mandy spends her days at school avoiding Teen Titans superfans and trying to hide her feelings for the gorgeous, popular, and perfect Claire. And while Mandy usually avoids spending too much time with her alien mother, she's been particularly quiet as she's keeping one major secret from her: Mandy walked out of her S.A.T.

While Mandy continues to tell Lincoln her plans of moving to France to escape the family spotlight and not go to college, she secretly hides a fear of not knowing her identity outside of just being the daughter of a superhero and who she will become. But when she is partnered with Claire to work on a school project, their friendship develops into something more and a self-confidence unknown to Mandy begins to bloom. Claire seems to like Mandy for being Mandy, not the daughter of Starfire.

But when someone from Starfire's past comes to disrupt Mandy's future, Mandy must finally make a choice: give up before the battle has even begun, or step into the unknown and risk everything. I Am Not Starfire is a story about mother-daughter relationships, embracing where you come from while finding your own identity, and learning to be unafraid of failing, if it was even failing in the first place.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/star...graphic-novel/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

I mean, it sounds like an interesting story, but kind of random to involve Starfire (who isn't even the main character). I mean, the girl looks more like Raven's daughter.

Are we supposed to assume she's Dick's kid ?

It actually looks fun. Also, kudos for them if Kori and Mandy are really the focus relationship between parent-daughter here. I was expecting a dash of Dick Grayson in here but it seems to be avoided so far.

I don't understand why not just make a Starfire YA OGN. Focusing it on some original character feels a bit pointless, but I guess the creator was allowed to do whatever she wanted for a concept as long as it involved Starfire probably? Yeah, Raven does feel like it would fit the "goth" thing more, but I dunno. DC has been releasing so many of these YA OGNs that I really wonder how well they have done. Some like the Raven one did well, but then there are others that came and went and no one ever mentioned them.

Incredible Member

I just don't get this at all. I can at least understand Gotham High's appeal as a highschool AU. And this thing is giving off a My Immortal-esque bad self insert fanfic vibe. As I've criticized the YA OGN line of before, they're generally too elseworld-ish for my tastes, but if we were going to get a story about Starfire's daughter, I would have preferred an on model version of Nightstar/Mar'i Grayson. This is just weirding me out. If we're going for the goth girl audience(the audience they're going for I presume), I can't help but feel another Raven ogn would have been a better choice.

Also this person points out, the way Starfire is described in the solicitation has a very bitter and negative sounding slant to it https://twitter.com/elektrwing/statu...06962848440326 . It might be more nuanced in practice with mandy needing to learn to understand her mom, but on the surface it sounds like it's saying Starfire is wrong for being "bright, bubbly, and scantily-clad".

I also don't think it would be in character for Starfire to have trouble empathizing daughter as I don't see Kory being the type to to put needless pressure on her kids, or care about the SATs, or have a problem with her daughter being gay. Relationships are two way things so things could be in part to Mandy here being a rebellious teenager, but once again, I'm not sure there will be that kind of nuance.