Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast

I’m watching the Titans TV show right now and the Titans academy but deafly makes me think of that just With different characters

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, having people who understand what you went through and grew up in the confines of the Titans family, I don't think it's unreasonable that they would want to give back to the next generation by being there for them as teachers and mentors.
    But to do that well you need a strong core foundation for the franchise, which the Titans haven't had in decades. Adding more characters and throwing them in the role as teachers when they can't even form a coherent team by themselves kind of undermines them as being capable mentors. You are just adding more weight onto an already unstable support structure. Sure, the book will sell okay because of the NTT nostalgic probably, but this set up fails to address the real problems within the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    But to do that well you need a strong core foundation for the franchise, which the Titans haven't had in decades. Adding more characters and throwing them in the role as teachers when they can't even form a coherent team by themselves kind of undermines them as being capable mentors. You are just adding more weight onto an already unstable support structure. Sure, the book will sell okay because of the NTT nostalgic probably, but this set up fails to address the real problems within the franchise.
    I think the core foundation has become muddled across all the different runs and rosters, but I feel like with the right writing approach you can easily slip back into it.

Not that I think what the franchise needed was the old kids teaching a bunch of new kids, but I'm not writing it completely off.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Why do characters like Dick even want to be teachers?
    It makes sense for Dick. His cover story when he was Agent 37 was that he was a PE teacher, so he does have experience.

Cyborg's history with Sarah Sims back in New Teen Titans also shows it suits Vic, we saw that he likes working with children.

It does seem a tad out of place for Raven though!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It makes sense for Dick. His cover story when he was Agent 37 was that he was a PE teacher, so he does have experience.

Cyborg's history with Sarah Sims back in New Teen Titans also shows it suits Vic, we saw that he likes working with children.

It does seem a tad out of place for Raven though!
    It makes sense because Dick once pretended to be a gym teacher. That’s silly reasoning. School never seemed like it particularly fit Dick. Dude grew up in a circus.

It’s out of place for them all. The NTT members aren’t even that old, and now they are being positioned as teachers. And teachers of what exactly. How to be Teen Titans. They aren’t even teens anymore, and they can’t even figure out how to be a superhero team anymore.
    Maybe we have it wrong though. It is called Teen Titans Academy. So maybe it’s the teens teaching the adults.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-09-2020 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    It makes sense because Dick once pretended to be a gym teacher. That’s silly reasoning. School never seemed like it particularly fit Dick. Dude grew up in a circus.
    By this logic, he shouldn't have been a superhero, a spy, a model, a cop or any other career path he took that had nothing to do with circus performing. I see no reason to complain about this direction as opposed to anything else he's done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    By this logic, he shouldn't have been a superhero, a spy, a model, a cop or any other career path he took that had nothing to do with circus performing. I see no reason to complain about this direction as opposed to anything else he's done in the past.
    Missing the point. Dick never had a traditional upbringing, so to claim it makes sense for him to open a school and become something mundane like a teacher doesn’t really fly. This misstep is often made with Dick’s various career paths. Trying to give him a traditional job and make it fit. It’s the untraditional jobs like superhero or spy people remember, not the boring traditional ones like Dick the bus boy or gym teacher.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-09-2020 at 04:57 AM.

Missing the point. Dick never had a traditional upbringing, so to claim it makes sense for him to open a school and teach superheroing in a traditional school setting doesn’t really fly. This misstep often made with Dick’s various career paths. Trying to give him a traditional job and make it fit.
    He's teaching superheroes. He isn't teaching an economics or philosophy class.

And aside from being raised as a superhero, Dick's life wasn't all that untraditional. He still went to school and attended college.

Edit: wrong thread

Eh. College Mentors for Kids and similar programs are a pretty popular organization among young adults at my university. It doesn't seem too uncharacteristic for these heroes to do a similar thing.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Preview pages for "I Am Not Starfire".

https://www.cbr.com/i-am-not-starfir...-origin-story/

spoilers:
    One of those pages also shows Kory trying to comfort Mandy. Looks like those worries about Kory being an aloof and distant mother were premature after all.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Missing the point. Dick never had a traditional upbringing, so to claim it makes sense for him to open a school and become something mundane like a teacher doesn’t really fly. This misstep is often made with Dick’s various career paths. Trying to give him a traditional job and make it fit. It’s the untraditional jobs like superhero or spy people remember, not the boring traditional ones like Dick the bus boy or gym teacher.
    I dunno - Dick played mentor to Tim, Damian, Rose Wilson and the Skull Girls in Grayson (training them in the field not just in gym, as per the Robin 80th Anniversary short.) Not to mention his very brief positioning as mentor to Duke in Robin War.

I think "Dick thinks he's well positioned to help out young heroes" is one of his more prominent traits.

Well nightwing has become a suport for batman so he might as well become one for teen titans also lol.

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    One of those pages also shows Kory trying to comfort Mandy. Looks like those worries about Kory being an aloof and distant mother were premature after all.
    end of spoilers
    To the usual suspects it's just more ammo to throw fits about. As seen in the comment section for that article.

Folks have to reminded these books generally sell better than the regular DC books.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I dunno - Dick played mentor to Tim, Damian, Rose Wilson and the Skull Girls in Grayson (training them in the field not just in gym, as per the Robin 80th Anniversary short.) Not to mention his very brief positioning as mentor to Duke in Robin War.

I think "Dick thinks he's well positioned to help out young heroes" is one of his more prominent traits.
    Plus, it's the DC Universe. Every major hero has to become a mentor at some point .

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I still kind of wish this was actually about Starfire and not an OC.