Page 257 of 750 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261267307357 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 11243
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I think the moment both of them fell down the mine, hitting several Vibranium structures on the way and didn't get hurt, it was a problem. I wish the fight didn't start like that.

But the sonic stabilizers were a good way to deal with the suits. I just think the fight itself needs better choreography to show it. It could have used a bit more brutality and tension. Since their suits were unstable, have each other hit each other in vital areas. Have the sonic stabilizers mess with their enhanced senses, and if they get hit by the train, have it make them dizzy and desperate. I think Coogler could have pulled off something like that based on what the final fight of Creed was like. But it seems Marvel wanted that third act wrapped up as quickly as possible.
    What would have worked once they hit the railway the suits could have become totally inert. They would then fight in a similar way as the waterfall fight with enhancements. Just give them a moment to acknowledge that fact. Then every strike landed would do damage which would increase the tension.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    There isn't a definitive reason to justify to make BP have his own game except that he is a pretty popular character now and branching into the video game sector would create a larger fan base and make it accessible to people who don't read comics, thereby, wanting to know more about the character. In the past, they have made videogames for characters that that may not have needed video games at first but turned out to be okay to good once the games were released i.e Wolverine, The Punisher, Deadpool, Hulk etc. There might not be a reason for him to have his own game but so did other characters who had games made anyway.
    Exactly. T'Challa's rogue gallery may not be as expansive as Spider-Man's but his mythos is a wide canvas in the way an open world fantasy like the Witcher is. Characters like Wolverine and Punisher had much less to work with at the time they got video games. If a studio was willing to do deep cuts with underused Wakandan regions and enemies from the comics I don't think Black Panther needs the same amount of material out to build interest in a game.

The popularity argument is a solid one because movies are the great equalizer nowadays. Since T'Challa has the most successful solo superhero film of all time there's a strong argument to be made that he could do record-breaking numbers in a video game where demographics and interests are much more in line with mainstream audiences than say comics (where he's struggling). So if/when Marvel starts pushing out solo games for their heroes I expect Black Panther to be one of the first characters they consider.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Guys, I'm not saying T'Challa doesn't deserve his own video game. You know me. I'm saying he doesn't have the amount of inspiration from a variety of sources that Spider-Man and Batman do. These guys have had several movies, TV series and specials, animated series, previous video games and a plethora of iconic stories and alternate versions in comics over decades. That's a whole lot of source material and references to choose from to make a game that encompasses everything those characters are. No matter how you slice it, that's why these two have had the absolute best video games in comparison to everyone else.

T'Challa simply doesn't have that, and if we're asking for a video game as good as the Arkham series and Spider-Man PS4 there has to be material to support it. Like I said, I think all the game mechanics you would expect already exist so the wheel doesn't need to be reinvented, and the Black Panther lore has that potential. But we're talking about a AAA video game here. Aside from one major film appearance (which at this point will undoubtedly be the biggest influence) and a handful of modern comics what do we really have?

Guys, I'm not saying T'Challa doesn't deserve his own video game. You know me. I'm saying he doesn't have the amount of inspiration from a variety of sources that Spider-Man and Batman do. These guys have had several movies, TV series and specials, animated series, previous video games and a plethora of iconic stories and alternate versions in comics over decades. That's a whole lot of source material and references to choose from to make a game that encompasses everything those characters are. No matter how you slice it, that's why these two have had the absolute best video games in comparison to everyone else.

T'Challa simply doesn't have that, and if we're asking for a video game as good as the Arkham series and Spider-Man PS4 there has to be material to support it. Like I said, I think all the game mechanics you would expect already exist so the wheel doesn't need to be reinvented, and the Black Panther lore has that potential. But we're talking about a AAA video game here. Aside from one major film appearance (which at this point will undoubtedly be the biggest influence) and a handful of modern comics what do we really have?
    Handfull? 100+ comics is more than a handful. There is an entire country to use as a backdrop. That's more than Spider-Man or Batman. All you need is a simple concept and story. 100+ plus comics, a movie, and several solid cartoon appearances. What more does a character need?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Handfull? 100+ comics is more than a handful. There is an entire country to use as a backdrop. That's more than Spider-Man or Batman. All you need is a simple concept and story. 100+ plus comics, a movie, and several solid cartoon appearances. What more does a character need?
    Also don't forget Static has a compelted vidoe game in storeage somewhere at Nintendo.

He has more than Miles without taking anyone else's stuff.

Jason from Friday the 13th has a game.

Lets not forget a game with a black lead does well for itself no matter how messed up it could be see Watchdogs 2.

Astonishing Member

I get what you're saying but that's why I made the point I did. A warrior-king from a fictional civilization doesn't need the same depth of source material as a New York hero who fights costumed villains. He needs creators that have an eye for lore. Who can take underused concepts like Serpent Valley and Baron Macabre and give them new life. It's about epic worldbuilding on the scale of the Witcher or Elder Scrolls, which is undeniably a huge undertaking but one that can easily be justified given the non-stop success of the character in other mediums.

The market is clearly there and if the gaming industry can produce complex worlds like Tamriel from scratch I don't see why it can't add depth to Wakanda which already has a lot of elements to expand on. I don't think T'Challa needs several animated series or half a dozen movies in order to bring his world to life. It'd make it easier sure, but as is the character and his world can be expanded on without that material as a baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Exactly and due to the vibranium, the character does not get injured. I remember talking to a female friend who is not a big superhero fan and she said that she lost interest in the combat scenes once he had his suit because he could not be hurt. She felt there was no real danger to him after that.
    I'll agree that when the habits were being disrupted, we should of seen them feeling the blows to the exposed skin, but I don't much care to see there being a "danger" aspect when he is bodying goons and redshirts

As for the games I would say this. Legend of Zelda, breath of the wild is a massive expanded game of Hyrule, where the main villain is the same it's always been but just expanded his world. T'Challa has plenty of rogues, entire tribes, and dieties to play off of, and even a embassy in NY if they were really needing to expand. Play through some iconic stories, throw in some cameos and your golden

I still believe he's gonna show up in Marvel's Avengers down the line. He's one of the most popular Avengers aside from the MCU OG 6 and the classic Avengers from the comics. He's a massively popular character right now. I have a feeling they're use him as their agile and acrobatic type character instead of Spider-Man.

But regarding his own game, I think it's still pretty difficult to justify why he should get one at the moment. Sure, every game mechanic it would need already exists and the film has shown how good it could look in 3D space but Black Panther still lacks the breadth of inspiration Batman and Spider-Man both had at the point they got their games.

Cap had a game, Ironman had a game, hulk, had a game, wolverine...ect Black Panthers solo outsold them all. The only reason his movie isn't translating to games like other successful movies is because hes black. I have no interest in yet another Spiderman game.

Techno jungle, Africa Wakandan tribes villages, warrior falls, palace, necropolis, djalia(sp) and an endless supply of tech combined with a shifty power level and set gifted from a god.

That's enough for at the very least a decent attempt at a game. The same excuses we heard for decades about a possible movie we continue to hear about Comics lead Black character getting a solo game. Alt universe Spiderman expansion is a baby step.
    Last edited by Ekie; 06-12-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Incredible Member

What's that saying? Being black means you have to be twice as good as them just to get half of what they have.

Black Panther has won more awards and critical acclaim than any other solo comic book film. It even made more money domestically than Infinity War...and we can't get a game? Even the games that are out ye's mostly a DLC character. Once Coogler shakes the world AGAIN with Black Panther 2 maybe then we might be affforded a BP game.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I'm not talking about the potential of the game. I've literally said multiple times that actually making it won't be hard. I'm talking about the justifications for making it at the moment. Our strongest argument right now is the MCU film grossing over a billion dollars. I'm just telling you it's a weak one from a business standpoint.

First of all, if that was the case then an Avengers game would have been announced the moment the first film because the highest grossing superhero movie at the time. Except it was announced in 2017, after we had two Avengers movies already plus a very popular animated TV show. We're getting the actual game this year, after four Avengers film including two that grossed over 2 billion dollars and one that's the highest grossing movie of all time. We all know that has translated to merchandising and all of that, but more importantly, the Avengers brand is so strong now that Crystal Dynamics is banking on that to sell the game.

I mentioned all the things Batman and Spider-Man have to their names because it matters in both making a truly expansive game, but also brand power. Both of those characters have been part of the popular culture zeitgeist for decades because of all of those things. The Arkham series and Spider-Man PS4 didn't just fall into their laps, you know. It took years upon years of relevance for those characters to get games that good. Developers will be far more confident in those characters because they're that popular. Slapping their names on any product is an almost guaranteed success. Black Panther doesn't have that yet. He's only appeared in Marvel titled games and Avengers titled productions (which could include the MCU overall since he's appeared in 2-3 Avengers movies and the MCU was built on the Avengers brand). Having comics is not enough.

Why do you think so many other comic book video games are based on a film? Deadpool aside, Iron Man, Hulk, Punisher, Captain America and Wolverine all had video games based on whatever film of theirs was out at the time. It's developers trying to bridge to different markets together. Movies are far more accessible than video games. Going to see a film costs less than buying a great video game, and you spend more hours 'consuming' a video game than you do a film. And that's why a lot of those games weren't great and they were largely unsuccessful. That's why we stopped getting movie tie-in video games. Black Panther didn't get one because he's black. They stopped being good investments. And I don't just want a Black Panther game for having sake.

I want one for havings sake. I want investment in the character the same level as marvel executive fanboys have invested in Deadpool. I want a black super hero who isn't a spin-off to be treated with the confidence they treat Spiderman with. I have full faith in the games marketability.

Incredible Member

I'm not talking about the potential of the game. I've literally said multiple times that actually making it won't be hard. I'm talking about the justifications for making it at the moment. Our strongest argument right now is the MCU film grossing over a billion dollars. I'm just telling you it's a weak one from a business standpoint.

First of all, if that was the case then an Avengers game would have been announced the moment the first film because the highest grossing superhero movie at the time. Except it was announced in 2017, after we had two Avengers movies already plus a very popular animated TV show. We're getting the actual game this year, after four Avengers film including two that grossed over 2 billion dollars and one that's the highest grossing movie of all time. We all know that has translated to merchandising and all of that, but more importantly, the Avengers brand is so strong now that Crystal Dynamics is banking on that to sell the game.

I mentioned all the things Batman and Spider-Man have to their names because it matters in both making a truly expansive game, but also brand power. Both of those characters have been part of the popular culture zeitgeist for decades because of all of those things. The Arkham series and Spider-Man PS4 didn't just fall into their laps, you know. It took years upon years of relevance for those characters to get games that good. Developers will be far more confident in those characters because they're that popular. Slapping their names on any product is an almost guaranteed success. Black Panther doesn't have that yet. He's only appeared in Marvel titled games and Avengers titled productions (which could include the MCU overall since he's appeared in 2-3 Avengers movies and the MCU was built on the Avengers brand). Having comics is not enough.

Why do you think so many other comic book video games are based on a film? Deadpool aside, Iron Man, Hulk, Punisher, Captain America and Wolverine all had video games based on whatever film of theirs was out at the time. It's developers trying to bridge to different markets together. Movies are far more accessible than video games. Going to see a film costs less than buying a great video game, and you spend more hours 'consuming' a video game than you do a film. And that's why a lot of those games weren't great and they were largely unsuccessful. That's why we stopped getting movie tie-in video games. Black Panther didn't get one because he's black. They stopped being good investments. And I don't just want a Black Panther game for having sake.
    I can't subscribe to your logic at all. If we go by your reasoning for not getting a BP game then ultimately that leaves little to no offerings for black success across multiple industries. It's easy to say we can't get a BP game nor a movie tie in because they don't do well after multiple IPs have characters with non black leads have had a shot. The same logic has been applied to movies and roles. Who's to say the best can't be brought out when a fair focus is put towards black talent? Furthermore, BP crossing a $Billion and earning the accolades it has was no easy task. No OTHER comic book character has made the money BP has. Not Spider-Man, not Batman, not Iron-Man no one. You think that's an easy thing to achieve given the aforementioned's exposure and popularity? If it were, it wouldn't have taken Spider-Man 7 solo films to crack a $Billion. Thor as popular as he is still hasn't crossed a Billion. The name Black Panther alone is also somewhat of a hurdle because despite the film having been out for 2 years some people still think its to do with the black panther party in which they have misgivings about. I know this because I had to give a presentation as part of my interview process for a huge tech company in which I presented on Marvel as a company and the MCU.

In any case, at this stage there is no right time to make a BP game. He can and should get one now!
    Last edited by Chesterfield; 06-13-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Cap had a game, Ironman had a game, hulk, had a game, wolverine...ect Black Panthers solo outsold them all. The only reason his movie isn't translating to games like other successful movies is because hes black. I have no interest in yet another Spiderman game.

Techno jungle, Africa Wakandan tribes villages, warrior falls, palace, necropolis, djalia(sp) and an endless supply of tech combined with a shifty power level and set gifted from a god.

That's enough for at the very least a decent attempt at a game. The same excuses we heard for decades about a possible movie we continue to hear about Comics lead Black character getting a solo game. Alt universe Spiderman expansion is a baby step.
    The game doesn't necessarily have to be based solely in Wakanda as that kind of defeats What Wakanda embodies which is a Utopian nation with little crime rate. I would base the game off of the Client and Enemy of the State story arc where T'Challa along with the Dora Milaje and Shuri are isolated from Wakanda by Achebe and must find a way back by tracking down Achebe's affiliates. Enemy groups include the Hyena Clan group, Xcon and Detsuri while the allies are Dora Milaje, Hatut Zeraze (At least at first) and maybe a little bit of Agent of Wakanda sprinkled in it.

I'm currently writing a proposal of a Black Panther game that would probably not happen lol so I do have a ton of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post

All the phase one solo marvel characters (Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor) had console games... but then they stopped. They didn't even give the Avengers a console game. I assume whatever bean counters work at Disney came to the conclusion that video games weren't in their business model.

Of course that was several years ago, and we are now seeing an Avengers game. So if that game does well, I do think they will consider expanding on that. As we've seen very little love on the console gaming side for marvel properties (Lego and Capcom cross over stuff seem to be the exception), hopefully the Avengers game will do well enough to change all of that.