Page 31 of 750 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I seriously doubt that we are being closed minded.

I'll just ask one question: What has Coates done to elevate T'Challa specifically? Has T'Challa done anything that stands out or is memorable?

There may be some people who enjoy reading a watered down version of Black Panther while everyone else gets elevated.

But speaking as someone who's been following BP for a very long time, Coates BP is crap.
    Most of those people are probably fans who never read BP before the movie came out, the movie garnered interest, saw that Coates was writing it and jumped in whole hog. It reminds me of Guardians, The GotG book was awful after the movie came out because Bendis couldn't do space to save his life,(Im trade waiting the LosH, but I've heard things.) but it was held up by movie hype and great art. Same goes for BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Most of those people are probably fans who never read BP before the movie came out, the movie garnered interest, saw that Coates was writing it and jumped in whole hog. It reminds me of Guardians, The GotG book was awful after the movie came out because Bendis couldn't do space to save his life,(Im trade waiting the LosH, but I've heard things.) but it was held up by movie hype and great art. Same goes for BP.
    I would agree with this. For some people, this is the only BP they know.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

I'll just ask one question: What has Coates done to elevate T'Challa specifically? Has T'Challa done anything that stands out or is memorable?

There may be some people who enjoy reading a watered down version of Black Panther while everyone else gets elevated.

But speaking as someone who's been following BP for a very long time, Coates BP is crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I would agree with this. For some people, this is the only BP they know.
    Well...you have to wonder sometimes. Remember, someone interested in BP can now read pretty much any BP run (Priest, Hudlin, etc) in TPB at this time. So you could read old comics and compare. Also, Coates's run is not a fun or exciting read. It goes against the Black Excellence of the Black Panther movie. So, why is this run appealing?

You know....both Priest & Hudlin had detractors during their runs that complained about the changes they made to BP. But history now shows that they both improved the BP mythos. We have been protesting Coates....but his run continues. Makes you wonder if many in this board are on the wrong side when fans look back on BP.

I read comics for many years growing up and Coates run goes against everything I know about good comics. But...sometimes I wonder if there is something I'm not seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    Well...you have to wonder sometimes. Remember, someone interested in BP can now read pretty much any BP run (Priest, Hudlin, etc) in TPB at this time. So you could read old comics and compare. Also, Coates's run is not a fun or exciting read. It goes against the Black Excellence of the Black Panther movie. So, why is this run appealing?

You know....both Priest & Hudlin had detractors during their runs that complained about the changes they made to BP. But history now shows that they both improved the BP mythos. We have been protesting Coates....but his run continues. Makes you wonder if many in this board are on the wrong side when fans look back on BP.

I read comics for many years growing up and Coates run goes against everything I know about good comics. But...sometimes I wonder if there is something I'm not seeing.
    On the old CBR forum, we had a poster who would regularly comment in the thread and make all sorts of comments about how Coates' BP was the best and better than anyone one else's and kept making all kinds of dumb statements regarding BP.

We later found out that this person had never read any issue of Black Panther before Coates.

It wasn't very good for him/her.

Some people(a lot of X-Fans mostly) think that Captain America is a fascist, Iron Man hates mutants and the Avengers are gov't stooges based on what they've read from AvX.

They either don't know or don't care that the Avengers and X-Men have worked together before and gotten along.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 01-20-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I think the closest we've come is Shuri scolding him for "playing superhero" when he should be king.

To be blunt, AoW looks like a vanity book, allowing Zub to play with whatever toys he wants. The whole "spy-fi" thing just comes off as a bat & switch.
    Honestly itd the same as BP and the Crew, and Ultimates. T'Challa gets put into team's with c list heroes and is expected to keep the sales up. Fans will claim they wish Marvel would give their c list heroes nore attention, but when they do this happens. Honestly he should be doing bigger thing's on Avengers, AoW should of utilized some bigger heroes as thst will raise his profile, leading A listers, not carrying c list

People talk it up because Coates is an "intellectual" if he was Joe smoe, or a white writer, this book would be hailed as the most racist book at marvel or DC. Marvel would of been eaten alive. But because Coates is a known name people try to reason why it's good. Thing is, hid stories will not survive the test of time because his book is not new reader friendly

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

so I'm hearing whispers BP is going to be reboot with coates on the book. what things do you hope will be explored in the new book?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    so I'm hearing whispers BP is going to be reboot with coates on the book. what things do you hope will be explored in the new book?
    The transition to a new writer.

I hope it's a one-shot.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    The transition to a new writer.
    I dont believe that is happening any time soon I'd he whispers I'm hearing are true.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I dont believe that is happening any time soon I'd he whispers I'm hearing are true.
    Well you asked, I was just giving my answer.

Ultimate Member

One thing-Coates Panther is the most recent one on shelves especially at Barnes & Nobles. So when that movie got it's first trailer and then came out-it was HIS run out there.

While on Amazon EVERY Black Panther run including the Crew & WOW got sales boosts that put many of them in the top 100 with some making the top 10 of trade sales.

For folks who do NOT do online ordering or even KNEW about those runs-only knew Coates.

While Hudlin's run was in the general $14.99-19.99 editions and available in used book stores (The final trade & Shuri's run are the ones I don't see in used book stores around here). I can also find them in the libraries in the read to death editions.

Priest and the others were in editions that started at $30-40 and most stores do not carry them. All of my copies came from Half Price books for half the price and in Panther's Rage's case an extra 20% off. For my main city library-they are not even included with the kids/teen trades. They are on a different floor with Luke Cage's 90 series and comic anthology/history books.

You would need to to do new editions of those runs at an affordable price like you see with Young Justice or do library exclusive trades like Miles & Ms Marvel & even Robert Kirkman's Invincible has.

Ultimate Member

If you are asking the fake woke or BET crowd-he gave them a Black Panther that panders to how they think real Africans actually act. The dream world where black women can talk down to black man and enforce the stereotype of black men do NOTHING in life but oppress black woman. Black men can not think for themselves and need help all the time. We are forever victims.

If you ask the U-fans-A Black Panther that is UNSELLABLE and shouldn't be a threat to whoever they like. Much like the majority of black males at Distinguishing Competition. Unlike those guys especially poor John, Victor & Jason-Black Panther got a billion dollar movie when he did.

That makes the company ensure Black Panther has other adventures in other books. Where he is not background, black friend or fodder.

Coates getting tf out already.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"