Page 468 of 750 FirstFirst ... 368418458464465466467468469470471472478518568 ... LastLast
Results 7,006 to 7,020 of 11243

Apparently Grace Randolph heard from her "Source" that Shuri will be taking the mantle of BP.

Personally, I do not believe this and if this indeed happens then I do not agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Apparently Grace Randolph heard from her "Source" that Shuri will be taking the mantle of BP.

Personally, I do not believe this and if this indeed happens then I do not agree with it.
    I believe it... There was plenty of rumours before his passing about Shuri taking the role. Right now paid influencers are out there spreading this rumour. Trying to see how the fans think and judge where the wind is blowing. If this proves to be the case, more power to her. I can't hate on a sister. But I disagree with this course, and might just dip from future showings.
    Last edited by TheCat; 09-15-2020 at 01:38 AM.

Not saying I'm in favor of recasting or passing the mantle, everything feels wrong to me right now.

But for the people saying John David Washington as an option. Can you recommend a movie of his that convinced you he was right for this?

I've only seen him in BlackkKlansman and based on that movie, the suggestion that he should play T'challa seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Honestly when i first read someone suggesting him I thought it was a joke until people started agreeing with it. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of his skills.

So if you know of a movie where he brings the acting skills, gravitas and at least looks the part, please pass on the recommendation.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'll wait and see. I can see either happening (I'm not convinced Marvel knows yet), but I seem to remember Grace Randolph being an unreliable source.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'll wait and see. I can see either happening (I'm not convinced Marvel knows yet), but I seem to remember Grace Randolph being an unreliable source.
    She famously got chewed out by Cathy Yan, Birds of Prey's director, on twitter for creating untrue rumours about that movie.

https://www.themarysue.com/dont-figh...e-youre-wrong/

Imagine telling director Cathy Yan what was (or wasn’t) supposed to be in Birds of Prey. That is, essentially, what happened this weekend when Beyond the Trailer‘s Grace Randolph posted about a storyline that she says was originally part of Birds of Prey. In this alleged storyline, really bad guy Roman Sionis (Ewan McGregor) has a statue of himself as The Statue of David, but he thinks his dick is too small. Many people in conversation with Randolph (and Randolph herself) were referring to the statue as a “dick pic” and thus taking issue with it. More on that later.
    I wouldn't trust anything she says.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    John David Washington is a great choice to carry on the legacy Boseman left behind. The sequel is probably getting pushed back 1-2 years anyway so that potentially gives him more time to get some meaty roles under his belt that solidify his cred as an actor.

The reality is, either way Disney goes BP2 makes them money. Recast or not, fans are gonna be anticipating how Marvel pays respect to Boseman's extraordinary contributions, and that'll only add to preexisting hype for the movie. So it really all comes down to optics and creative direction. If Coogler and Feige feel T'Challa is too important to die, a highly qualified black actor with the right marketing could be embraced by general audiences. At that point it all comes down to timing and picking the right man for the job. We're already seeing a shift, it's really the major nerd culture sites that they'd have to be concerned about.
    John David Washington looks too Americanized to depct a native African.

Wesley Snipes is a better choice to carry on the mantle. Homeboy was almost Black Panther back in the day.

Ane before anyone say that Wesley Snipes is too old to be Black Panther let me remind you that Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey Junior and Will Smith are all in their fifties.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I think Marvel was both shocked and surprised by the impact of the first film... then IMHO secretly dismayed. Since then they have been trying there best to blunt that energy, hence why there were all of those rumours of Shuri becoming the lead beforehand and taking the story in a new direction.

Think about it, with all of the success that BP 1 brought to the table, why have they not capitalised on it. it's should have been a good time to get an experienced comic book writer and artist to take the character and his mythos forward.

There should have been a video game released after the film to expand upon the story, and tons of toys to capture the imagination of the younger generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    For BP 2, they should introduce T'Challa's half-brother Jakara Son of T'Chaka who was raised abroad and make him Black Planther as Queen Shuri deals with the major outside threats.

Jakara is soon found out to be a member a Wakandan terrorist group called the Hyena Clan who plan to steal from the Wakandan Reservoir. Which causes Queen Shuri to finally step up and challenge him for the Black Panther mantle.
    Oh a secret relative raised in another country that ends up being kinda nuts and wants to use vibranium to blow **** up? And a member of the royal family has to reluctantly stop him once and for all?

That sounds like a great movie! i wonder if anyone has done something like that before!

oh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post

Ain't no way Disney has decided that fast what to do.

They can't even figure out what to do with their movies that are made/almost done right now .

So you are telling me in what... 2 weeks? Disney has figured out what to do, Feige agreed, called Coogler nad he agreed, called Letita and she agreed... and it got leaked to a youtuber source lol?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Oh a secret relative raised in another country that ends up being kinda nuts and wants to use vibranium to blow **** up? And a member of the royal family has to reluctantly stop him once and for all?

That sounds like a great movie! i wonder if anyone has done something like that before!

oh.....

Ain't no way Disney has decided that fast what to do.

They can't even figure out what to do with their movies that are made/almost done right now .

So you are telling me in what... 2 weeks? Disney has figured out what to do, Feige agreed, called Coogler nad he agreed, called Letita and she agreed... and it got leaked to a youtuber source lol?
    Yea that’s BS lol. Though I do think Disney is probably leaning towards Shuri if only because that seems to be the expectation from large swaths of the audience. Internet chatter and tweets are obviously not the whole picture but it’s clear as day there’s a push from most major youtubers and nerd culture sites like CBR for Shuri to take the throne.

I definitely see the press influencing a lot of casual audiences’ minds and making Disney hesitant about going against the grain. This is why pushing the film back and giving themselves time to let emotions settle is the best thing they can do. A recast this year or next would get torn up in the media and by many fans, better wait til late 2021 or 2022 to announce that when things are normalized (as much as they could be under these circumstances).
    Last edited by chief12d; 09-15-2020 at 05:35 AM.

John David Washington is a great choice to carry on the legacy Boseman left behind. The sequel is probably getting pushed back 1-2 years anyway so that potentially gives him more time to get some meaty roles under his belt that solidify his cred as an actor.

The reality is, either way Disney goes BP2 makes them money. Recast or not, fans are gonna be anticipating how Marvel pays respect to Boseman's extraordinary contributions, and that'll only add to preexisting hype for the movie. So it really all comes down to optics and creative direction. If Coogler and Feige feel T'Challa is too important to die, a highly qualified black actor with the right marketing could be embraced by general audiences. At that point it all comes down to timing and picking the right man for the job. We're already seeing a shift, it's really the major nerd culture sites that they'd have to be concerned about.
    I keep hearing this argument that "no actor will want to step in Chadwicks shoes because of the constant media questions..."

Y'all think (not you chielf) Letita wouldn't get the same questions and heat?

EVERYONE that has to do with the movie is gonna get constant chadwick questions. Everyone. Every interview.

The reality is, either way Disney goes BP2 makes them money. Recast or not, fans are gonna be anticipating how Marvel pays respect to Boseman's extraordinary contributions, and that'll only add to preexisting hype for the movie. So it really all comes down to optics and creative direction.
    On the movie side, yes.

But if Shuri is Black Panther, it will absolutely 100% hurt the merchandise side of it. Which according to a lot of people, is where the real money is made. Not with the actual movies due to how expensive they are. It is the merch afterwards.

BP merch flew off the shelves (where skyvolt at! lol). It stayed in rotation forever at the big retailers. It took over whole aisles. You had 3 costumes for freaking halloween.

Without T'challa, you are cutting that off at the knees.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I keep hearing this argument that "no actor will want to step in Chadwicks shoes because of the constant media questions..."

EVERYONE that has to do with the movie is gonna get constant chadwick questions. Everyone. Every interview.
    Honest question: who would you rather be in this situation?

Would you rather be: (a) an actress already part of the Black Panther 'family', playing a character that based on source material is naturally earning the mantle (albeit through a hastened and unforeseen process). Or (b) the new guy, replacing the main actor and star of a massive cultural and financial milestone?

Think about it this way: would you rather be the guy who was already poised to be promoted but that has to come faster because the guy with the job passed away, or be the new hire who just got the job immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    Not saying I'm in favor of recasting or passing the mantle, everything feels wrong to me right now.

But for the people saying John David Washington as an option. Can you recommend a movie of his that convinced you he was right for this?

I've only seen him in BlackkKlansman and based on that movie, the suggestion that he should play T'challa seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Honestly when i first read someone suggesting him I thought it was a joke until people started agreeing with it. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of his skills.

So if you know of a movie where he brings the acting skills, gravitas and at least looks the part, please pass on the recommendation.
    I'm guessing it's TENET hype that's making him the choice for some people. Either they've seen it and thought he was good and can lead a blockbuster (even though I've heard some people say the exact opposite), or they haven't seen it and just know people are talking about him now.

Personally, I only think he's a decent choice and I don't think he's proven himself as an actor yet. I don't think he has the pedigree for the role, only the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    John David Washington looks too Americanized to depct a native African.

Wesley Snipes is a better choice to carry on the mantle. Homeboy was almost Black Panther back in the day.

Ane before anyone say that Wesley Snipes is too old to be Black Panther let me remind you that Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey Junior and Will Smith are all in their fifties.
    Snipes is a whole 15 years older than Chadwick, a man who even looked younger than his age. He doesn't look the part, I'm sorry. I also doubt Marvel would even consider him.

Also, I find the claim that John David looking to "Americanized" to be ridiculous. I know plenty of brothers that look just like him.

Astonishing Member

On the movie side, yes.

But if Shuri is Black Panther, it will absolutely 100% hurt the merchandise side of it. Which according to a lot of people, is where the real money is made. Not with the actual movies due to how expensive they are. It is the merch afterwards.

BP merch flew off the shelves (where skyvolt at! lol). It stayed in rotation forever at the big retailers. It took over whole aisles. You had 3 costumes for freaking halloween.

Without T'challa, you are cutting that off at the knees.
    I have no doubt that Leticia would have an easier press run than whichever dude gets recast. For one you’re inviting more comparisons since they’d be playing the same character and the fact is like I’ve been saying, the press already has a preferred candidate. Just look at Grace Randolph basically campaigning for Shuri taking the role and lying about sources to back up her claim.

You think she’ll give a John David Washington or Trevante Rhodes the same reverence, or do you think she’ll have backhanded compliments and hard questions about Disney’s decision? Same goes for CBR or ScreenRant. There will definitely be some looking to describe a recast as an attempt to shut out a black woman and that could very well be a question the recasted actor has to confront, in which case that’s a harder question than I see Leticia ever getting. At most she’ll have to answer whether or not she can do Boseman justice lol.

The merchandise thing is hard to tell. Didn’t Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel do fine in toy sales? If that’s the case a well done Shuri film shouldn’t be too big a deal. I do know from my own kid that boys don’t buy girl toys so Disney May have to worry about that. But if other female leads can move merchandise I don’t see that being a big concern, but you and skyvolt probably know better than me lol

The merchandise thing is hard to tell. Didn’t Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel do fine in toy sales? If that’s the case a well done Shuri film shouldn’t be too big a deal. I do know from my own kid that boys don’t buy girl toys so Disney May have to worry about that. But if other female leads can move merchandise I don’t see that being a big concern, but you and skyvolt probably know better than me lol
    Purely anecdotally, no. Especially not captain marvel. I don't even remember any of her toys in the boy aisles. I remember a few lego sets but they were so generic I don't even think my kids noticed them. I remember zero captain marvel tshirts in the boys sections (I live 3 mins from target and 5 from walmart, I am at those two places way too often lol)

I also know they phased out fast. It got pushed out for End Game stuff really quickly. Meanwhile BP stuff was still sitting next to end game stuff.

BP2 could do "fine" with toys but without a dominant male character, you won't have boys buying ****. you won't have dudes/boys wearing girl tshirts. Wtihout T'challa, the MCU mythos only has M'baku left on the boy side. He isn't going to move merch without a substantial power up and some sort of a real "costume" and substantial increase in his role.

What made BP such a merch powerhouse was the fact it hit all aisles. boys had plenty of boy **** (and tons of it). AND girls had okoye and shuri stuff (lesser extent nakia)