Page 216 of 360 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226266316 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,240 of 5398
  1. #3226
    Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    291

    Default

    A nice example of the Challenge Day System at work was when Queen Shuri was challenged by a member of the Jabari Clan.

    The challenger's grevivance was that Shuri was not fit to rule because of her wild party girl reputation.

    The challenger was able to express his thoughts unabashly and Shuri was able give her position on the matter. She won the contest and dealt with an area of dissent at the same time.

    The story appeared in a Marvel Legacy one shot written by Mayberry if I am not mistaken.

  2. #3227
    Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    291

    Default

    In regards to the parliament buffer system in the fictional nation of Wakanda, the current BP writer or editor chose to ignore or not properly research its established existence in the BP mythos. So in the very first issue of the current writer's run he depicted a Wild West country that had bandits on the rural roads and a leader too preoccupied to see the ails of the nation that was directly under his feet. Then the rest of the arc was about putting in place a buffer system between the leader and the people.

  3. #3228
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastManStanding View Post
    In regards to the parliament buffer system in the fictional nation of Wakanda, the current BP writer or editor chose to ignore or not properly research its established existence in the BP mythos. So in the very first issue of the current writer's run he depicted a Wild West country that had bandits on the rural roads and a leader too preoccupied to see the ails of the nation that was directly under his feet. Then the rest of the arc was about putting in place a buffer system between the leader and the people.
    I believe Wakanda was shown to have a Parliament in Priests run... but I believe T'Challa disband it.

  4. #3229
    Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastManStanding View Post
    A nice example of the Challenge Day System at work was when Queen Shuri was challenged by a member of the Jabari Clan.

    The challenger's grevivance was that Shuri was not fit to rule because of her wild party girl reputation.

    The challenger was able to express his thoughts unabashly and Shuri was able give her position on the matter. She won the contest and dealt with an area of dissent at the same time.

    The story appeared in a Marvel Legacy one shot written by Mayberry if I am not mistaken.
    Correction: the one shot was the Age of Heroes issue 4 by Maberry

  5. #3230
    Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I believe Wakanda was shown to have a Parliament in Priests run... but I believe T'Challa disband it.
    Oh that same Age of Heroes 4 stated that a new parliament was in place.

    Also what group was governing Wakanda when Kasper was Black Panther and T'Challa was AWOL in the latter part of Priest's run?

  6. #3231
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    People always want Wakanda "clean." aka american/european/boring. Same laws, same "traditions" or whatever.

    F that.

    Give me advanced WARRIOR culture. Keep some of the "barbaric tribal" shit. Keep it unique. Stop trying to borify everything.

    Give me the country that decides a the king by fighting near a waterfall with spears. Sign me up. Invade the country? Heads on a spike. Sounds great.
    I think people have pushed back recently when that "barbaric tribal" stuff has suggested that there could be political levels where local elites could commit horrific acts without legal consequence, though.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  7. #3232
    Extraordinary Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    People always want Wakanda "clean." aka american/european/boring. Same laws, same "traditions" or whatever.

    F that.

    Give me advanced WARRIOR culture. Keep some of the "barbaric tribal" shit. Keep it unique. Stop trying to borify everything.

    Give me the country that decides a the king by fighting near a waterfall with spears. Sign me up. Invade the country? Heads on a spike. Sounds great.
    This, it ultimately becomes the problem when writers try to do stuff with Wakanda, because they come at it with a western mindset instead of how would an unconquered, unique African nation with it's identity infact and most technologically advanced nation be different? Instead we get the same stuff over and over. Things can be explained without going full blown "that's not realistic!" Well duh the 616 isn't realistic

  8. #3233
    Extraordinary Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I think people have pushed back recently when that "barbaric tribal" stuff has suggested that there could be political levels where local elites could commit horrific acts without legal consequence, though.
    Yes and there is another system in place. You take the HSH and then are judged by bast and if your not deemed worthy you get eaten (only special case was shuri).

    And who cares? This is a fiction. How many times has the US been taken over? Yet people are gonna gripe that a unique challenge system of a WARRIOR nation that the leader has to prove, not just by words, but by actions that they are fit (literally) to rule and protect it's people and the worry is that one could potentially get someone who has ill intentions? Come on now

  9. #3234
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yes and there is another system in place. You take the HSH and then are judged by bast and if your not deemed worthy you get eaten (only special case was shuri).

    And who cares? This is a fiction. How many times has the US been taken over? Yet people are gonna gripe that a unique challenge system of a WARRIOR nation that the leader has to prove, not just by words, but by actions that they are fit (literally) to rule and protect it's people and the worry is that one could potentially get someone who has ill intentions? Come on now
    When it's a system where a super villain like Killmonger coming into control of the most advanced nation on earth yeah... I think it's a legit gripe. Though in the comics, unlike the movies, the thing is at least more rigged given the herb poisons anyone outside the Royal Family. You can of course decline the herb in theory, but Killmonger is probably the only person wised up to the fact that the game is somewhat rigged at this point.

  10. #3235
    Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    When it's a system where a super villain like Killmonger coming into control of the most advanced nation on earth yeah... I think it's a legit gripe. Though in the comics, unlike the movies, the thing is at least more rigged given the herb poisons anyone outside the Royal Family. You can of course decline the herb in theory, but Killmonger is probably the only person wised up to the fact that the game is somewhat rigged at this point.
    Red Skull was revealed to be the US Secretary of Defense in the Avengers Red Zone arc. Over in Priest’s run BP stopped a plot to replace the US president with an imposter. What system was in place to foil such subversions of the will of the people?
    Last edited by LastManStanding; 05-01-2020 at 05:08 PM.

  11. #3236
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastManStanding View Post
    Red Skull was revealed to be the US Secretary of Defense in the Avengers Red Zone arc. Over in Priest’s run BP stopped a plot to replace the US president with an imposter. What system was in place to foil such subversions of the will of the people?
    You can't really compare replacing a US president with an imposter to legitimately challenging T'Challa for leadership though and legitimately becoming ruler of Wakanda. The former has a super villain working outside the system to get into power... the later is Killmonger doing something he technically has every right to do.

    Though again, to Wakanda's credit they were ready for it. In the comics there is a system in place to deal with people like Killmonger, or frankly anyone outside of the Royal Family. Because the game is somewhat rigged, there is a system in place to deal with undesirable outcomes. US can't legally do things like poisonous herbs... but that's the upside to a monarchy I suppose. They can do whatever the heck they want.

  12. #3237
    Mighty Member Ekie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    We only have to look to real life to realize the flaws in Western democracy. What would this country look like currently if there was a test of intelligence, bravery, and character before being allowed to be given power?
    I have no interest in seeing wakanda becoming the Black America. Wakanda is a fictional Nation with a different culture than ours that clearly works.
    The minute that coats started comparing them to Western idealism I knew that his run was going to be garbage and a detriment to the entirety of the characters history.

  13. #3238
    Mighty Member Ekie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Read a snippet, it's loading slow so i will check later.. seems like they are trying to merge the MCU version with the comics.. in the MCU it makes sense to give Shuri a role aka Q while T'Challa would ve able to showcase his genius outside the lab. But this whole deal trying to integrate that elsewhere needs to be met with care. Just like the MCU, don't take qualities away to give to another character and not highlight them on T'Challa
    Shuri imo didn't need a role. Every Xman doesn't have a role and everyone of them has fans. Og shuri was much cooler than mcu Shuri. Mcu Shuri is cute...funny ..ect ect but i prefer my Shuri to be a ferocious warrior. She was fine. But now we have to deal with this Science thing they created that ALREADY is becoming the new default stays in all forms of Media. Meaning of slightly above average intelligence Tchalla is the new norm

    received_2631208440459976.jpg

    Here he is in Marvel Strike Force asking his kid sister what to do next with this confusing science thingy.

  14. #3239
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Shuri imo didn't need a role. Every Xman doesn't have a role and everyone of them has fans. Og shuri was much cooler than mcu Shuri. Mcu Shuri is cute...funny ..ect ect but i prefer my Shuri to be a ferocious warrior. She was fine. But now we have to deal with this Science thing they created that ALREADY is becoming the new default stays in all forms of Media. Meaning of slightly above average intelligence Tchalla is the new norm

    received_2631208440459976.jpg

    Here he is in Marvel Strike Force asking his kid sister what to do next with this confusing science thingy.
    Shuri being a warrior would frankly be almost redundent since Nakia and Okoye were already warriors. Shuri being the Q of the MCU at least allows her to stand out.

    I think ultimately the idea was to market her as almost a Disney princess of sorts which can appeal to younger girls. Which probably means not having her threaten to kill quite as many people as Shuri did in the comics.

  15. #3240
    Spectacular Member XJlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Shuri being a warrior would frankly be almost redundent since Nakia and Okoye were already warriors. Shuri being the Q of the MCU at least allows her to stand out.

    I think ultimately the idea was to market her as almost a Disney princess of sorts which can appeal to younger girls. Which probably means not having her threaten to kill quite as many people as Shuri did in the comics.
    Shuri potentially being redundant is not T'Challa's problem though. It is his birthright to have an incredible intellect thanks to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby decisions on the aspects of his character.
    Last edited by XJlock; 05-01-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •