Page 369 of 750 FirstFirst ... 269319359365366367368369370371372373379419469 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,535 of 11243

King of the Beasts..................bruh

then he gets stabbed through the vibranium weave

I'm officially concerned
    Last edited by Jabare; 08-12-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    This isn't like T'Challa randomly getting the ebony blade though... the Excelsior has a lot of meaning in the story as this is a conflict between the Kree/Skrulls and the Cotati. It's the right weapon to use in this story.

This isn't a BP story, so they're drawing from a mythos which is more central to the narrative of the story.
    A mythos created by the same writer 4 years ago, let's not forget. This isn't a deep cut like the Celestial Madonna thing, this is just Ewing taking Chekov's gun off the mantle.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    A mythos created by the same writer 4 years ago, let's not forget. This isn't a deep cut like the Celestial Madonna thing, this is just Ewing taking Chekov's gun off the mantle.
    That's my point though. If you've got Chekovs gun sitting on your mantle, pick it up and shoot the darn thing. That's what it's there for.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    And why do most of Tchalla stories have to take place in wakanda. It's like we know about wakanda, we get it. My biggest pet peeve is i want to see BP be a HERO, not all stories go back to wakanda. It's like they think black people never leave home and if they do it's just to go to another version of it. Why can't Tchalla be out in space having a story, or taking to the fore front and hunting down earth's biggest threats rather than always reacting to it. It just really bothers me.
    This is why I complain so much about the movie's portrayal of the character himself. It was good but it wasn't great and wakanda as a whole outsided him. Which is easy to do because of wakanda being so magnificent. The problem is video game developers whose favorite characters are Spider-Man and Deadpool and comic book writers who favorite characters are Spider-Man Thor Captain America etc DO NOT WANT TO MAKE TCHALLA MAGNIFICENT HIMSELF.
    It is up to Ryan coogler to change all of that noise and black panther 2. He has the talent to do it but I'm not sure he's aware of the actual problem. Wakanda can only sell so far. Tchalla is where the money is.
    After having a movie make 1.5 billion dollars I'd expect more from the video game & comic book industry. We didn't get that. The Avengers game has Tchalla as DLC as he always has been, no improvement there. Have even seen fit to announce Spider-Man before any mention of t'challa in an AVENGERS game. And comics...well look. Stabbed through the heart and solo that should have been gift wrapped and given to redjack after his cartoons reception.
    He should be getting the Spider-Man treatment, Marvel doesn't even deserve this character anymore
    Last edited by Ekie; 08-12-2020 at 05:35 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWCS1ECdG1I

in this interview the creators of the Avengers game states that Marvel gave them full control over which characters they got to use.
    As we can see black panther wasn't one of them initially and you have to wonder WHY since money can't be used as an excuse anymore. They have found time to announce Spider-Man as I stated above. Which means somebody's favorite character got put in. Marvel doesn't have any advocates for minority characters. As flex used to say "a point man" fir a character proven to be highly valuable monetarily or culturally. Same old white heroes from the 60s that have been shoved in our faces for decades who have fans in different media

Astonishing Member

I don't think that Coogler letting Wakanda shine as brightly as it did is a detriment as long as he clearly establishes T'Challa as the core of the franchise. While Killmonger was a great villain and Wakanda was home to a great supporting cast, they both worked to make T'Challa more compelling. I do think he was misguided in giving his desire to open up Wakanda to Nakia though, as it did make him a bit less proactive, but that's a minor quibble now that he holds those beliefs. His decision to go heavily McGregor with Wakanda's military was also unfortunate but I think it's fair to assume T'Challa and his kingdom will get tech upgrades in future installments.

The key for Coogler is to demonstrate that even though Wakanda is a place with a vibrant culture and supporting cast, it's one man, T'Challa, that takes them those next steps further. And I think the arc he set up for him in the sequels does that as his singleminded desire to turn Wakanda into a beacon of hope comes under fire.

The first film was set up so obviously you want to establish a strong supporting cast and mythology in the beginning so that your character can get more space to shape the world around them in the future. We'll see if he's willing to depict T'Challa as a strong solo lead or if he wants him to be part of an ensemble in the next film, where the stakes are raised. But now that he's gotten over his daddy issues, has a clear goal in mind for Wakanda, and is firmly on the throne, we can expect a more commanding presence from Boseman in the future. Hopefully. But if not I'll be one of the first people to say Coogler isn't doing enough to show the main character.

In terms of video games Marvel probably thinks they can make more money off Black Panther as DLC than as a character in the base game. The hype that comes with giving players access to one of their A-listers along with one of (if not the) most popular location in Marvel would generate a bunch of online traffic and sales. If he was available at the jump with full access to Wakanda there'd be less hype than if they waited. We already know that new locations come with added story elements so players not only can expect Black Panther and Wakanda, but a BP-centric storyline that immerses them in his entire world.

I find it hard to think that Marvel doesn't want to maximize what they get out of T'Challa and frankly he brings more to the table in terms of mythos and supporting cast than most of the Avengers in the base game. Better to let the masses wait and build up anticipation. Especially if it gives them more time to polish the game, which has received only slightly above average reviews going by the beta. But I can agree with the idea they should be doing more to hype up his inevitable appearance. You'd think they'd at least do some cryptic tweets to get people excited.

Marvel screwed up. They had the eyes of the WORLD looking at T'Challa, thanks to the movie, and instead of striking while the iron was hot, they gave control of the franchise to a political columnist with literary pretensions. It's almost certainly no coincidence that every creator who worked on spinoffs (including Narcisse) was one of Coates' buddies.

And now it's too late. The movie was two years ago. Whatever momentum they had is gone. Even if they relaunched now, the only people who would see it are the 100K or so Wednesday Warriors. Nobody else will care.

Marvel screwed up. They had the eyes of the WORLD looking at T'Challa, thanks to the movie, and instead of striking while the iron was hot, they gave control of the franchise to a political columnist with literary pretensions. It's almost certainly no coincidence that every creator who worked on spinoffs (including Narcisse) was one of Coates' buddies.

And now it's too late. The movie was two years ago. Whatever momentum they had is gone. Even if they relaunched now, the only people who would see it are the 100K or so Wednesday Warriors. Nobody else will care.
    Truth. Taking the whole thing in, the synergy that exists between how Coates left Black Panther and how we are seeing the writers of this event just pick over any random elements of Black Panther mythos and superficial set it up to be crapped on with halfed baked concepts. This almost doomwar levels of disgust.

Imagine if it was given to Redjack on top of Redjack doing the BP cartoon similar to what Hudlin did... But the literary crowd is cool too I guess, I mean look at what Coates and gay have done for the mythos.....

chose the short term profits using the big name at the expense of possibly adding another new "main" character long term.

The comic play book. Way short sighted.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWCS1ECdG1I

in this interview the creators of the Avengers game states that Marvel gave them full control over which characters they got to use.
    Disney doesn't care about video games. They gave up on them awhile ago and just license stuff out. They don't care, they just want their check.

How many creators of the Avengers video game are black?

I don't even blame the creators. If I spent my whole life persuing something like creating a video game and people let me put whatever characters I wanted... I'm not gonna put Hawkeye lol. From a "creators" standpoint, I don't blame them at all for choosing whoever the hell they want.

From a profit standpoint... what dumbass big wig forgot black people love video games lol?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Guess 1.3 billion doesn't mean anyhting

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Guess 1.3 billion doesn't mean anyhting
    I guess (and I could be 100% wrong) is that video games tend to keep a few popular characters out of a game initially so they sell them in a dlc to milk a few extra bucks down the road.

No one will buy a dlc if it doesn't include 1-2 characters that people are excited about playing. Spider-Man for example is a DLC (albeit a free one exclusive only to playstation so there's an entirely different agenda at work there for Sony). But a Wasp DLC probably won't set the Sony stores online server on fire with orders (no offense to Wasp). But BP will probably get a few extra buys.
    Last edited by XPac; 08-13-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Ultimate Member

Give them some credit, though. Coates is a high profile name and well respected commentator. On paper he looks good, and they clearly made an effort.

But these days, editors are barely capable of recognizing a writer's strength in one genre does not translate elsewhere (looking at you, Bendis). Comics seem to work on the buddy system more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Give them some credit, though. Coates is a high profile name and well respected commentator. On paper he looks good, and they clearly made an effort.

But these days, editors are barely capable of recognizing a writer's strength in one genre does not translate elsewhere (looking at you, Bendis). Comics seem to work on the buddy system more than anything else.
    Agree with it or not, I think what marvel did made sense.

They chose a writer who was capable of generating a strong buzz. And when his first arc not only sold incredibly well but won him Eisners, they had reason to keep him around from both a critical and commercial standpoint. The fact that he sold well in trades and online probably helped too.

So you can see where they were coming from. It generated buzz, sales, and critical acclaim at a time when they needed it for the character. It simply couldn't be sustained.