Page 366 of 750 FirstFirst ... 266316356362363364365366367368369370376416466 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,490 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Since hes been leader, the stories have been planetary problems. Celestial, Vampires, didnt go to space, and now Moon Knight reality warping. The only one the was small was vampires, and a horde of them tried to invade WK.
    The Avengers have done other stuff too. They fought Hulk for example, which is a BIG threat... but not one specifically to Wakanda. Avengers deal with problems that don't necessarily effect Wakanda directly or even indirectly. If you're agreeing to lead that team, you're basically accepting the responsibility of treating the whole planet as if it were Wakanda.

And frankly he was operating that way long before he became leader of the Avengers... it's precisely why some Wakandans weren't happy with him in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekk80s View Post
    I never got that about priest, like personally if i were in his position and was a grade A story teller and character builder I'd love to write for BP or any other Black heroes. I know Priest before bp and falcon didn't want anything to do with black heroes but i forgot why, given his skills he can right for almost any character don't know why a black lead would be such a problem especially given tchallas status is A1 despite that lame event going on.
    He was a comic writing veteran and I believe an editor at one point

and they gave him a D list character just because they were both black.

He was insulted.

I bet if they came to Priest and said, "hey, we will give you Peter Parker's main book if you write T'challa at the same time" he would at lesat think about it.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Probably not. He's not a big fan of revisiting old work, and has a bit of a chip on his shoulder regarding being assigned solo black characters.

As for your second point. I don't want stories that "matter". I just want stories that are _good_.
    That's the thing, I want good stories too of course but with BP there's a reason i used the phrase " to matter" because a character like that to me always needs to make a statement no matter what. I want these stories to matter and of course be good but regarding black superheroes it's anything but and it shouldn't be that way, No disrespect to Steve or Tony but i'd take tchalla over those lames in an instant, best of both worlds.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    He was a comic writing veteran and I believe an editor at one point

and they gave him a D list character just because they were both black.

He was insulted.

I bet if they came to Priest and said, "hey, we will give you Peter Parker's main book if you write T'challa at the same time" he would at lesat think about it.
    That honestly shows how out of touch Marvel is in terms of handling non white characters and that answers my question in terms of priest. Looked at the writers race before the skills, I'm not surprised at all.

I'm not liking this event. And I like everything

Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    It coul dbe because I have no real background going into it

But, we got a twist last issue, a twist this issue, and it feels like t'challa could be another twist coming
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

It's not a good one. Feels like Secret Invasion. All the good stuff is in the tie-ins, or were supposed to be. Lol.

That honestly shows how out of touch Marvel is in terms of handling non white characters and that answers my question in terms of priest. Looked at the writers race before the skills, I'm not surprised at all.
    Just as a point of reference. As James Owsley, Priest had been in comics for twenty years before he wrote BP. He was the first African-American editor at Marvel, and even edited Spider-Man from 1985 to 1986. And then he moved over to DC, becoming the first black editor THERE too.

He discovered Peter David. He discovered JOE QUESADA, as part of creating the modern incarnation of The Ray. He wrote a best-selling Spider-Man/Wolverine crossover, a well-received GL arc, and an Unknown Soldier mini that STILL holds up.

And yet, somewhere between BP and the Crew, he became a "black writer".

He was given the main Cap book, which he decided would be Captain America & The Falcon (because he had a concept involving their relationship).

Then, a "hip" artist decided HE wanted to do Cap, and he was told he couldn't write Cap anymore, in order to avoid confusing the market.

But they said he could still write Falcon.

According to Priest, it wasn't until Deathstroke, eleven years later, that he was offered a book that didn't star a black hero.

Spectacular Member

I'm right there with you, this event is just more mahvel shenanigan's

This is just clearing the deck for whatever new phase Marvel is heading towards.

Major event? Check.

Hero dies? Check.

Status quo change? Check.

Wakanda attacked? Check.

No sign of any advanced Wakandan tech? Check.

BP touted but does nothing noteworthy? Check.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Just as a point of reference. As James Owsley, Priest had been in comics for twenty years before he wrote BP. He was the first African-American editor at Marvel, and even edited Spider-Man from 1985 to 1986. And then he moved over to DC, becoming the first black editor THERE too.

He discovered Peter David. He discovered JOE QUESADA, as part of creating the modern incarnation of The Ray. He wrote a best-selling Spider-Man/Wolverine crossover, a well-received GL arc, and an Unknown Soldier mini that STILL holds up.

And yet, somewhere between BP and the Crew, he became a "black writer".

He was given the main Cap book, which he decided would be Captain America & The Falcon (because he had a concept involving their relationship).

Then, a "hip" artist decided HE wanted to do Cap, and he was told he couldn't write Cap anymore, in order to avoid confusing the market.

But they said he could still write Falcon.

According to Priest, it wasn't until Deathstroke, eleven years later, that he was offered a book that didn't star a black hero.
    Damn, that really explains a lot. Smh that's out right appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It coul dbe because I have no real background going into it

But, we got a twist last issue, a twist this issue, and it feels like t'challa could be another twist coming
    Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    It's not a good one. Feels like Secret Invasion. All the good stuff is in the tie-ins, or were supposed to be. Lol.
    Yeah, good points. I might've been more on board if we saw more of this battle. I'm not buying how Wakanda is losing. They keep telling me, but I'm not buying it.

Man if that isn't sone ole bullisht going on with T'Challa. Or really just Wakanda in general. Every splash pages of Wakanda has then getting their asses kicked. It's so stupid how little respect they put. T'Challas name. Wakanda s fast becoming the next Atlantis and these writers can't tell good stories. At the end with the cliff hanging i let out an audible "meh"

This has been a super lame abd boring event Which makes it worse due to the fact that it's an invasion story

I think the issue is sort of more complicated in the present climate.

The All New Blade book was essentially cancelled because of the public backlash over Tim Seeley, a white guy, on the creative team of a high profile black character. For whatever reason, to some people at least, that sort of thing does matter.

And from a PR perspective, I sort of get why it does. That said, there are quite a few authors I'd like to see write Black Panther who don't happen to be black, so I wouldn't mind if they moved past it.

Yeah, good points. I might've been more on board if we saw more of this battle. I'm not buying how Wakanda is losing. They keep telling me, but I'm not buying it.
    I do really wish they would put more fighting in these events. They typically just save it for the last issue, but in general I feel there's not enough action. Even if it means making the event longer, I think it would be worth it.

Or maybe do what they did with AvX and have a seperate mini exclusive just to show some of the fights that didn't make it to the main book. Granted the AvX side book was pretty bad in execution ... but I still like the idea.