Page 322 of 750 FirstFirst ... 222272312318319320321322323324325326332372422 ... LastLast
Results 4,816 to 4,830 of 11243
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    There is also a brief mention in Empyre: Avengers #1, where we are told (but not shown)that Wakanda has a force-field capable of holding off an intergalactic invasion.

(They must have forgotten to plug it in when Venomonger attacked. Or the Originators. Or a dozen guys with guns...)
    T'Challa actually had a decent showing in that book too. We see how Wakandan tech is the backbone of Earth's defense and him laying out tactics like an actual leader. The force field mention was icing on the cake to what I think was one of the first times in a while he felt like he was in the Avengers drivers seat.

T'Challa is both a strategic, long term planner and top tier tactician and the latter was demonstrated nicely. I'd be down to see something like that in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    T'Challa is both a strategic, long term planner and top tier tactician and the latter was demonstrated nicely. I'd be down to see something like that in the MCU.
    I think we'll probably see that more if he ends up being one of the leading forces of whatever new Avenger team pops up in the MCU.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

There is also a brief mention in Empyre: Avengers #1, where we are told (but not shown)that Wakanda has a force-field capable of holding off an intergalactic invasion.

(They must have forgotten to plug it in when Venomonger attacked. Or the Originators. Or a dozen guys with guns...)
    Author #1: Wakanda can do whatever the plot needs it to do.

Author #2: Wakanda can't do whatever the plot needs it to not do.

Wakanda makes a brief appearance in the Empyre: X-Men tie in. The X-Men are in Genosha dealing with a zombie army accidentally created by Scarlet Witch. Turns out the Cotati are also trying to use the island for a launching point for an invasion of Wakanda. We just see a map of Africa with the kingdom located in the wrong place but it's something lol.

Interestingly, the Cotati seem to know about vibranium and have their own name for it. Even in the FF tie-in to Empyre, the Elder of the Universe knew about vibranium and wanted to take it from Thing. I like that it's a seems to be known to the wider universe. Let's hope a BP writer gets to tell the story of vibranium's origin and how it got to Wakanda .
    I'm amazed vibranium existed this long without anyone bothering to tell that story.

Really I think the closest we got was some sort of space mining colony in the Captain marvel book. But it wasn't any sort of origin story ... it was just there.

T'Challa actually had a decent showing in that book too. We see how Wakandan tech is the backbone of Earth's defense and him laying out tactics like an actual leader. The force field mention was icing on the cake to what I think was one of the first times in a while he felt like he was in the Avengers drivers seat.

We didn't want him in the driver's seat for the first issue of this event at least, as the Avengers with Tony driving ended up in a car wreck.

But now I think it very possible Tchalla will play a much bigger role. We know he seemingly gets Teddys sword, and that seems to be a big deal.

Wakanda is a utopia. The end.

it existed in perfect internal balance for 10k years only being minorly corrupted by contact with outsiders who brought their bs in with them when the doors were opened a crack.

Marvel has been treating Wakanda like it's Africa. It's not. It's Wakanda. It shares an origin with prehistoric central Africa but it diverged AGGRESSIVELY after finding the vibranium mound. How else could they watch the colonizers rape the continent and not step in? Wakanda is Wakanda. T'Chaka moved to change all that and bring them into the world. T'Challa is furthering that goal.

Marvel has been treating Wakanda like Star Trek treats Klingons- someplace and people to beat the hell out of to show how tough the other guy is.

heartbreaking.

Right... So now the stakes will be higher when the cotati *Gasp* get through the barrier without a y issues what so ever. What ever happened to Hickman's anti orbital guns Wakanda used on BD, Hudlins exploding gun tech, Priests dooms day panthers and N'Yami motherships?all that stuff would sure come in handy when your the most advanced nation on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Wakanda is a utopia. The end.

it existed in perfect internal balance for 10k years only being minorly corrupted by contact with outsiders who brought their bs in with them when the doors were opened a crack.

Marvel has been treating Wakanda like it's Africa. It's not. It's Wakanda. It shares an origin with prehistoric central Africa but it diverged AGGRESSIVELY after finding the vibranium mound. How else could they watch the colonizers rape the continent and not step in? Wakanda is Wakanda. T'Chaka moved to change all that and bring them into the world. T'Challa is furthering that goal.

Marvel has been treating Wakanda like Star Trek treats Klingons- someplace and people to beat the hell out of to show how tough the other guy is.

heartbreaking.
    Wakanda was on the verge of tribal civil war in Priests run. THey used 16 year old girls acting as political pawns to main stability. That I think falls a bit short of being utopia. Hudlin arguably retconned it into being far more utopian... but it wasn't always meant to be that.

But I agree... Wakanda is being used as a prop to show how tough someone else is. It's sort of equivalent to Galactus with cosmic beings. Once upon a time he was considered the uber big bad of the marvel universe... now he's used in cosmic events to job out to the new uber big bad.

In HINDSIGHT you can maybe argue that was the downside of propping up Wakanda as being this unconquered nation. It almost creates a bullseye.

If we want to be generous continuity wise, we can speculate that the force field might have been created after the galactic invasion in Coates book. It's a reasonable thing to create following that sort of event.

But that sort of tech potentially is an invite to either fail or be completely ignored given marvel obviously wants alien invasions to occur from time to time.

I think we'll get a scenario similar to the Infinity War movie though. The force field will probably keep ships out, but fail to completely stop ground troups from coming in. And that gives us the man to man battles on the ground which translate better in comics. In the super hero genre space ship fighting usually doesn't translate as well as it does on the small or large screen (as we saw in Coates run). So the force field works as an excuse to show the heroes on the ground fighting the aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Wakanda was on the verge of tribal civil war in Priests run. THey used 16 year old girls acting as political pawns to main stability. That I think falls a bit short of being utopia. Hudlin arguably retconned it into being far more utopian... but it wasn't always meant to be that.
    Prior to T'Chaka, as I said. He's the one who broke the purity.

But I agree... Wakanda is being used as a prop to show how tough someone else is. It's sort of equivalent to Galactus with cosmic beings. Once upon a time he was considered the uber big bad of the marvel universe... now he's used in cosmic events to job out to the new uber big bad.

In HINDSIGHT you can maybe argue that was the downside of propping up Wakanda as being this unconquered nation. It almost creates a bullseye.
    "Almost?" THat's exactly what happened. The only one who got it right was Aaron.

This is true the issue was better than I expected. But it also conflicts since Coates couldn't be bothered to showcase wakandan tech in it's glory

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If we want to be generous continuity wise, we can speculate that the force field might have been created after the galactic invasion in Coates book. It's a reasonable thing to create following that sort of event.

But that sort of tech potentially is an invite to either fail or be completely ignored given marvel obviously wants alien invasions to occur from time to time.

I think we'll get a scenario similar to the Infinity War movie though. The force field will probably keep ships out, but fail to completely stop ground troups from coming in. And that gives us the man to man battles on the ground which translate better in comics. In the super hero genre space ship fighting usually doesn't translate as well as it does on the small or large screen (as we saw in Coates run). So the force field works as an excuse to show the heroes on the ground fighting the aliens.
    Except we would of seen that post tro since Thanos invaded and Wakanda was destroyed so..

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Prior to T'Chaka, as I said. He's the one who broke the purity.

"Almost?" THat's exactly what happened. The only one who got it right was Aaron.
    My mistake. You wrote that Wakannda IS Utopia, so I didn't think you were only referring to it in past tense.

But if Wakanda was indeed utopia prior to T'Chaka, and T'Chaka's policies are responible for that coming to an end I guess I can sort of see why T'Challa (who is furthering his dads policies only to a much larger extent) was on the end of his share of coups. You can basically consider T'Challa and his dad the reason Wakanda isn't utopian, from a certain twistd perspective. It almost paints M'Baku in a very different light.

There should only be oh so many armies or entities that can stand against Wakanda and live to talk about it...

1. Thanos (obviously)

2. The Death Star (aimed literally at Wakanda and firing on sight no prep time included)

3. Godzilla (c'mon it's Godzilla where else is he going to get some healthy soul food)

4. Galactus (but then that includes everybody and they momma along with Wakanda)

5. Squirrel Girl (c'mon it's Squirrel Girl what's wrong with you people get a clue already)

Thanks for playing...
    Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Except we would of seen that post tro since Thanos invaded and Wakanda was destroyed so..
    That's why I said continuity wise we might speculate it was created after the galactic invasion in Coates book.