Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
SUre... like I said, it couldn't be sustained. Though realistially I don't think ANY writer could have maintained the numbers or the buzz that Coates initially got.
Coates got buzz BEFORE the first BP trailer.

Because places that generally IGNORE comics as a whole had no issue talking to Coates about his comic. Along with the fact when someone interviews him-they toss in he'a a writer of BP.

That is free press.

Once the movie came out ALL Black Panther stuff saw sales boost-no how bad the book was. Once we got past season one-folks slowly started leaving.
To make up for Amazon (among others) made sure Coates Universe of books were including in various promotions.
Buy 2 get 1 free or buy 1 get 1 free. Or volume 1 was a free Amazon Kindle download.

He stays on because he is still doing other things and everyone loves free PRESS.

As for any writer could have maintained number or buzz- James Tynion isn't having that issue. And NO I am not talking Batman run. Books at Boom seem to have no trouble gaining new readers.
Nor is Image's Bitter Root or Excellence.
Nor the various books at Vault.
Funny when you don't write about weak black men-folks want to read your stuff more. marvel & Dc should take the HINT.