Page 501 of 750 FirstFirst ... 401451491497498499500501502503504505511551601 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I think the simple question is this: Why does T'Challa have to die in the MCU?
    THeoretically he doesn't. Obviously if they recast he doesn't die.

And if they want to go the Shuri route, they could have him somehow just walk off into the sunset like Paul Walker did. A big of CGI along with a good enough voice actor can go along ways, especially for a character who wears a full body suit.

There are a lot of different ways they can go.

Astonishing Member

I know Bosemans' death is still fresh in everyones' mind. But BP2 won't hit theaters until 2023 at the earliest so we're looking at 2 and 1/2 plus years. That's a longtime for opinions to change.
    Time heals all wounds. Disney would rightfully get criticized if they even hinted at a recast less than 2 months after Boseman's death. Likewise I think they'd get blowback if they said Shuri was set to inherit the mantle. Twitter and outlets like CBR might celebrate but I like to think most people have enough decency to understand these things deserve the space to breath.

And I think that in the time between now and BP's 2023-2025 release, views on a recast will shift like they always do. I've already witnessed attitudes change wildly just a week after Boseman's death and that'll probably continue for years. All Disney needs to do to get the smoothest transition possible is pick a well regarded actor that can somewhat hold a flame to Boseman, which is hard, but not completely impossible.

Incredible Member

I think the simple question is this: Why does T'Challa have to die in the MCU?
    The answert to that is, he doesn't. People need to learn to separate the ACTOR from the CHARACTER. The show Lucifer had so many people outraged because they cast Denis Haysbert as God instead of Morgan Freeman. Like really???? So, Freeman has a monopoly on playing God??? People can be so utterly ridiculous its embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

And if they want to go the Shuri route, they could have him somehow just walk off into the sunset like Paul Walker did. A big of CGI along with a good enough voice actor can go along ways, especially for a character who wears a full body suit.

How do you have T'Challa Walk away after the events of IW and EG. This is where people who want Shuri to take over do t think further past that initial thought. There would be Major overhauls needed to justify the sudden change. Abd Killing T'Challa also has major implications that go with that. Namely him already dying do much in the MCU

I'm pretty sure business wise the next BP movie will do well (or at least as well as can be expected) no matter what they do, so I don't think that will be the deciding factor. I think it's just a matter of Coogler doing what he wants. It'll work no matter what and it will make money no matter what.
    You keep referencing money as a form of success and yes that's true but that doesn't exactly mean well for the long-term health of the franchise. If the story is incoherent then it will always be hamstrung.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I'm not saying we shouldn't talk about it. My problem is how we're choosing too. I don't think a lot of us are actually considering what anyone else aside from the fanbase would want, especially what Coogler and the cast would want or feel comfortable with. That's why I'm calling it entitlement. Like, Black Panther isn't just ours anymore.

It's easy for us to say the role should be recast is at the end of the day, all we want are more T'Challa stories. That's the most important thing to us. But what about the actual people that worked on the film? What about the people who were Chadwick's friends? Coogler knew him for real, unlike us who was just the guy playing our favourite character. We should consider how they feel about this too, instead of just spewing what we want.

Why else do you think I've been saying I don't think Letitia Wright would be comfortable stepping into the mantle either? I'm not advocating for her to do it either, and the people saying Shuri should take over are forgetting that there's a real person behind that character who might be apprehensive, and it's not fair onto her either for her mentions to be filled with that.

That's my point: look beyond what you want when discussing it. And stop acting like any decision that isn't yours is wrong.
    I say this with the most sympathy that one could have

The.... show.. must...go...on.
    The grieving process has been constant and Marvel has done everything they can to honor Bozeman. When this movie comes out it will have been 3 years since his passing. Let's stop pretending like we're not adults. Recast and continue the story that you were hired to tell and we're planning on telling before the sudden tragedy. There is no one that will be able to claim that Marvel cast Bozeman aside casually without looking like a fool.
    If the MCU isn't telling black panther stories then I'm not interested. Not MBaku Black Panther, Killmonger Black panther, Okoye Black Panther, Klaw Black Panther, or Shuri Black Panther. The Black Panther.
    Last edited by Ekie; 09-28-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    TBF, if t'challa isn't in the MCU, you might as well write him off because he sucks everywhere else lol

Not like it takes a major shift for him ot disappear. "oh no, T'challa won't be a DLC in a video game every 4 years"
    Maybe he'll be an alternate Shuri skin!

I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to have more than I Black Panther. It's working okay for Spiderman. We've had both Shuri and Tchalla as Black Panther before and it worked okay.
    Poor comparison. if black panther had the amount of content that Spider-Man had then we'd be a lot less insecure about his being replaced like Spider-Man fans are with Miles who is just now getting a video game and a movie after Spider-Man's 8th of each

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    How do you have T'Challa Walk away after the events of IW and EG. This is where people who want Shuri to take over do t think further past that initial thought. There would be Major overhauls needed to justify the sudden change. Abd Killing T'Challa also has major implications that go with that. Namely him already dying do much in the MCU
    Depending on how Coogler wants to play it, IW and EG potentially makes it easier for him to walk away. Wakanda spent half a decade without him. If Wakanda was falling apart without him then yes, I imagine he could not just walk away. If Wakanda was doing just fine without him, then it's more viable. Again, if Coogler wants to make it work then he can. And if he doesn't, they'll recast and it'll be moot.

But if we look to the source material, when Shuri became Black Panther in Hudlins run T'Challa didn't REALLY die. And T'Challa did in just walk away from Wakanda post Doom War and let Shuri handle things. Not that the movies necessarily can or even should follow the comics, but the point being all this is something we as comic readers at least have seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Poor comparison. if black panther had the amount of content that Spider-Man had then we'd be a lot less insecure about his being replaced like Spider-Man fans are with Miles who is just now getting a video game and a movie after Spider-Man's 8th of each
    Since the silver age of comics, has there EVER been a single instance of a legacy character permanently replacing the original? If we dig real hard maybe we can think of something, but I think it's pretty fair to say 99.99% of the time that doesn't happen. Especially at marvel, that sort of thing just doesn't happen. Maybe it will in the movies, but across the board?

You keep referencing money as a form of success and yes that's true but that doesn't exactly mean well for the long-term health of the franchise. If the story is incoherent then it will always be hamstrung.
    If the story is incoherent sure. That said, I have faith that Coogler can give us a coherent story, so I'm not worried about it. I'll start doubting him when he gives us reason to doubt him. But right now, a billion dollar oscar winning movie I think earns him the benefit of the doubt.

how many of us want to go see black panther walk off into the sunset on some type of funeral scene five times in the theater like we did Black Panther one? 3 years after grieving his death we get to relive the death of Chadwick but with more people around? And then enjoy his quippy kid sister in a retelling of an Ascension to the throne except this time without the Black Panther?
    Does this sound like a money-making event?

how many of us want to go see black panther walk off into the sunset on some type of funeral scene five times in the theater like we did Black Panther one? 3 years after his death we get to relive the death of t'challa but with more people around? And then enjoy his quippy kid sister?
    Does this sound like a money-making event?
    I'm pretty sure it'll be a money making event regardless of what Coogler does. Again, I think he'll make whatever he decides to do work.

Since the silver age of comics, has there EVER been a single instance of a legacy character permanently replacing the original? If we dig real hard maybe we can think of something, but I think it's pretty fair to say 99.99% of the time that doesn't happen. Especially at marvel, that sort of thing just doesn't happen. Maybe it will in the movies, but across the board?
    We're talking about black characters now though. Have you not paid attention to how Marvel treats them?

If the story is incoherent sure. That said, I have faith that Coogler can give us a coherent story, so I'm not worried about it. I'll start doubting him when he gives us reason to doubt him. But right now, a billion dollar oscar winning movie I think earns him the benefit of the doubt.
    Personally I have reason to doubt him. Everyone knows my thoughts on it so I'm not going to repeat it. I'll just say this . The same money defense that we're making about success could have been applied and was applied to Coats his very first few issues. Just because it makes money doesn't mean it couldn't have been better. This IP is one of the most valuable in the world period anyone that works with it is working with GOLD. Magority of the longtime posters in this form have known that since forever . The rest of the world is just catching up. We need to start there in recognizing that and be free to critique wherever we feel the need to critique as longtime fans of the characters who've gotten this character and his franchise to this point through our unwavering support over the last 10 to 20 to 40 years. That support is finally paying off and now there's an opportunity for it to come to a complete halt for the glory of one of his supporting characters? If he caters and ignores the mythos Coogler will be Coats as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Ekie; 09-28-2020 at 09:42 PM.