Page 335 of 750 FirstFirst ... 235285325331332333334335336337338339345385435 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,025 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Very insightful if you're interested.

Excellent work

Still do not like Ross's T'challa lol

I guess covering most of his body and just showing his head fixes that to some extent.

I honestly don't really care for Ross's art style period but that is a very minority opinion
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

How do you guys handle what is "canon?"

Do you take what is most convenient so whatever is newest immediately wipes out what came before?

Do you only "wipe out" what 100% simply could not happen thanks to a new retcon? aka, try to keep everything you can and take out what simply couldn't have still occurred?

So let's use an example. the Story of Jakarra. You have Kirby's version and Rise of the Black Panther version.

It is pretty clear Rise eliminates 90% of Kirby's story immediately.

So, does it automatically wipe out 100% of it for you, or do we still keep some of the characters introduced in Kirby's story for example?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Do you take what is most convenient so whatever is newest immediately wipes out what came before?

Do you only "wipe out" what 100% simply could not happen thanks to a new retcon? aka, try to keep everything you can and take out what simply couldn't have still occurred?

So let's use an example. the Story of Jakarra. You have Kirby's version and Rise of the Black Panther version.

So, does it automatically wipe out 100% of it for you, or do we still keep some of the characters introduced in Kirby's story for example?
    Whichever is the better story. If the update sucks, I deny it. Coates' Wakanda history story, never happened. lol

But if they're both decent to good, I try to make both work. Like Priests' arcs all happened between issues 13 and 14 of Hudlins run. lol

Short answer is we don't decide what is canon. Marvel does.

But longer answer is if something happened on panel then it happend until something newer flat out states that it didn't or couldn't have. And at times it can take effort to try and make it work if the retcon didn't do a good enough job, but that's sort of the cost of reading a medium with a sliding time scale spanning decades under dozens of different writers. Even under the best of circumstances continuity inevitably will not work ... stuff will conflict and not make sense, because it's an inherent flaw in a medium with a sliding time scale like marvel (which doesn't reboot every decade or so like DC does to wipe out decades worth or stories).

Something that is canon is canon until something says it's not, and if that means hammering a square peg into a round hole that's just what you do unfortunately.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Basically

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

With respect to "canon", I ignore what I think is utter garbage. (As far as I'm concerned...Coates' entire run never happened.)
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    With respect to "canon", I ignore what I think is utter garbage. (As far as I'm concerned...Coates' entire run never happened.)

BANNED

Hard Co-sign!

And so it shall remain.

Far too many years ago, I did an interview with Walt Simonson for a website devoted to Jack Kirby's "Fourth World" books, and this question came up. And Walt had some wisdom to drop, that I would like to pass along:

But for me, that's approaching stories from the wrong way round. Continuity isn't the starting point for a story; it's one of the final considerations. I don't mean I throw out continuity on a whim. I don't. I don't think I've EVER deliberately thrown out old continuity although I'm sure I've screwed it up now and again accidently. And I've had some of my continuity discarded by other writers. But the STORY, its characters, its plot, its conflicts--these are the essential building blocks of good comics for me. Continuity is a useful tool in that building but it is not the essence of a good story. Or to paraphrase a P.D.James' character, "Continuity is a good servant but a poor master."

It depends on how it interacts with established continuity and the history we know about the character and their world. Honestly I say Priest a d Hudlins versions both happened. T'Challa took Wakanda to the next level in technology advancements bit Wakanda has always been advanced as well.

Coates story I won't recognize as Canon given how much it contradicts not only established continuity, but it's own as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Far too many years ago, I did an interview with Walt Simonson for a website devoted to Jack Kirby's "Fourth World" books, and this question came up. And Walt had some wisdom to drop, that I would like to pass along:
    Interesting, I like this. That's a great way to put it

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Simonson is truly a Gentlemanly Scholar, indeed.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    There are four black people in that shot (if you count Mosaic). ZERO Latin and one Asian.

And Storm doesn't identify as Black or even African. She identifies as Mutant.