Page 655 of 750 FirstFirst ... 155555605645651652653654655656657658659665705 ... LastLast
Results 9,811 to 9,825 of 11243
    All-New Member

I haven't read a lot of Marvel for years. Is Shuri the supergenius of Wakanda in the comics? I know she had a Black Panther run too...

Quote Originally Posted by brummyboy View Post
    I haven't read a lot of Marvel for years. Is Shuri the supergenius of Wakanda in the comics? I know she had a Black Panther run too...
    She's at least Spiderman intelligence or higher. She seemed to favor visual tech more as she had a Ironman like suit of armor to fight Namor with. But like Tchalla, they don't spend anytime on panel in a lab working I stuff. At most, they have dialogue saying they built something.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    For Chadwick's birthday on Disney+

This was a good tribute and celebration to his birthday. Rest In Power King

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    I don't think Wakanda should have two monarchs, T'challa is the one and only ruler. Blackbolt didn't have to share the throne with Maximus and over in DC Arthur didn't have to share the throne with Orm. T'challa is king and it should stay that way, in my opinion.
    The talk of oligarchy was back win Shuri was queen and no one knew what to do with SHuri or T'challa.

Hickman fixed it by doing Hickman things and handwaving it and killign her lol. Which is the easy way.

But, back in the day, many didn't want Shuri killed (Tchalla doesn't have amny supporting characters) but also wanted T'challa king and King of Necropolis is kinda **** lol

Hence... two monarch talk. With Shuri doing most of the boring stuff so T'challa can play superhero.

Your example are "meh" because those dudes are villains lol.

But yeha, the talk is moot now, now that Hickman just did what he wanted and the MCU finished comic shuri off. For now
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    For Chadwick's birthday on Disney+

Really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Every other king in comics has their throne to themselves unless they’re married. Why does Shuri need more than what she currently has? Head Engineer of the Wakandan Design Group, Ancient-Future Griot, superhero princess. If Marvel can’t find a way to make the **** work then frankly they might as well kill the character off because there’s no reason that Shuri should live if they don’t know what to do with her at this point. Giving her a throne equal to T’Challa’s is lazy and disrespectful imo. What I am warming up to is the idea of making Shuri an unofficial BP. T’Challa is still ruler, Bast’s favored son, and the true BP but Shuri can call herself BP on her solo adventures with her own Iron Panther suit. But there’s still issues with that and I’d prefer they just go the tech-savvy princess route.
    Again this falls into, and I do love what he did with T'Challa and his world, the fault of Hudlin for not establishing Shuri with a clear path after she failed to get into the ring on challenge day. Again, I understand WHY Hudlin made her BP, and it was to prevent her from going into limbo as his run made big waves in the 616, however, that unfortunately set the precedence now that Shuri MUST take over the mantle in the MCU "because comics" and will always be a thing T'Challa has to contend with forever. Here's what Hudlin should of done:

After the events of WitBP, Shuri should of been shaking up and doubting herself, it didn't need to be a huge subplot, but throughout the run Shuri should of been used a little more, not treated as the kid sister always trying to tag along but as a valuable asset, however she doubts her abilities. She is worried because of how shaken up she was about killing radioactive man, and going forward with the adventures she is hesitant about taking lives and causes her to not be fully in it. When T'Challa gets injured in vol 5 she is forced to face this fear, she is again rejected by Bast but its a test.

She failed to become BP because she doesn't have that drive needed to rule but she can still be a protector of Wakanda, she beats morlun, T'Challa offers her the mantle and she declines, stating she isn't destined to be BP. That's his path but hers is different but still the path of a protector, and she will forge her own way and that Bast (though she rejected her, shown that she was still worthy) has shown her the road she must go but she passed the test given to her by bast and she has her confidence and knows she has what it takes to protect Wakanda when it's in need. She becomes the lioness, forms P.R.I.D.E and goes on her own adventures as the right hand of the king and BP.

That's what I would of done, it establishes her own path, keeps T'Challa as the leader as it's his mythos, and sets her up as her own character that can grow and gives her a supporting cast and her own doesn't have to step on T'Challas toes or occupy that space. Then Disney princess angle still works out as well.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/m...ws-1234835807/

Top 12 entertainment franchises according to NRG:

1. The Mandalorian
    2. Avengers
    3. Stranger Things
    4. John Wick
    5. Black Panther
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy
    7. The Witcher
    8. Ozark
    9. Into the Spider-Verse
    10. Black Widow
    11. Deadpool
    12. Thor
    Last edited by Dboi654; 11-30-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/m...ws-1234835807/

Top 12 entertainment franchises according to NRG:

1. The Mandalorian
    2. Avengers
    3. Stranger Things
    4. John Wick
    5. Black Panther
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy
    7. The Witcher
    8. Ozark
    9. Into the Spider-Verse
    10. Black Widow
    11. Deadpool
    12. Thor
    ...how did Thor make the list and not Cap?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    ...how did Thor make the list and not Cap?
    How did Black Widow make it at all? lol

I would say, it is because Cap is "done" and Thor still has another movie coming up. But, BW being there kinda throws that for a loop?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Again this falls into, and I do love what he did with T'Challa and his world, the fault of Hudlin for not establishing Shuri with a clear path after she failed to get into the ring on challenge day. Again, I understand WHY Hudlin made her BP, and it was to prevent her from going into limbo as his run made big waves in the 616, however, that unfortunately set the precedence now that Shuri MUST take over the mantle in the MCU "because comics" and will always be a thing T'Challa has to contend with forever. Here's what Hudlin should of done:

After the events of WitBP, Shuri should of been shaking up and doubting herself, it didn't need to be a huge subplot, but throughout the run Shuri should of been used a little more, not treated as the kid sister always trying to tag along but as a valuable asset, however she doubts her abilities. She is worried because of how shaken up she was about killing radioactive man, and going forward with the adventures she is hesitant about taking lives and causes her to not be fully in it. When T'Challa gets injured in vol 5 she is forced to face this fear, she is again rejected by Bast but its a test.

She failed to become BP because she doesn't have that drive needed to rule but she can still be a protector of Wakanda, she beats morlun, T'Challa offers her the mantle and she declines, stating she isn't destined to be BP. That's his path but hers is different but still the path of a protector, and she will forge her own way and that Bast (though she rejected her, shown that she was still worthy) has shown her the road she must go but she passed the test given to her by bast and she has her confidence and knows she has what it takes to protect Wakanda when it's in need. She becomes the lioness, forms P.R.I.D.E and goes on her own adventures as the right hand of the king and BP.

That's what I would of done, it establishes her own path, keeps T'Challa as the leader as it's his mythos, and sets her up as her own character that can grow and gives her a supporting cast and her own doesn't have to step on T'Challas toes or occupy that space. Then Disney princess angle still works out as well.
    That would've been far better than what we got now. My issue isn't even that Shuri became BP. What made that era and how things have unfolded since so unfortunate is that she was basically made identical to T'Challa, except inferior in every way. Shuri being a power-hungry warrior princess with the same base abilities as her brother was simply stupid.

What should've happened from the start is that she had a distinguished skillset and niche from T'Challa. Should've made her a sorceress and said people in that role can't be Black Panther. And even if she did become BP she'd be entirely different from the kind T'Challa was and have a role to reoccupy when he took the mantle back. Instead we had a situation where her being such a blank slate has led to radically different takes on her character that are only now getting ironed out. Legacy characters aren't supposed to be this poorly thought out but Hudlin's poor planning and Coates' inability to adapt has left the character in a mess since 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    How did Black Widow make it at all? lol

I would say, it is because Cap is "done" and Thor still has another movie coming up. But, BW being there kinda throws that for a loop?
    No, but it spoils the movie sort of. spoilers:
    Either the movie is both a prequel and an introduction/passing of the torch to Yelena, or Yelena is a red herring and the movie is actually post snap. The latter would mean they'll pull a Final Destination 5 and keep the time period vague except for small clues till the very end. But either one equals more Black Widow movies.
    end of spoilers

That would've been far better than what we got now. My issue isn't even that Shuri became BP. What made that era and how things have unfolded since so unfortunate is that she was basically made identical to T'Challa, except inferior in every way. Shuri being a power-hungry warrior princess with the same base abilities as her brother was simply stupid.

What should've happened from the start is that she had a distinguished skillset and niche from T'Challa. Should've made her a sorceress and said people in that role can't be Black Panther. And even if she did become BP she'd be entirely different from the kind T'Challa was and have a role to reoccupy when he took the mantle back. Instead we had a situation where her being such a blank slate has led to radically different takes on her character that are only now getting ironed out. Legacy characters aren't supposed to be this poorly thought out but Hudlin's poor planning and Coates' inability to adapt has left the character in a mess since 2017.

I would put a lot of the blame on the issues with surgery on Jonathan Mayberry, He was tasked with developing her when he took over the title but the more you go back and read his work it look like he was interviewing to write Deadpool, Captain America Dr. Doom & others.. in my opinion he was poisonous for the myths and was the worst BP writer we had up until TNC. Other then S’Yan & Bast Shuri was hurt most by him. And it was him who made her into a less intelligent female T’Challa b4 imo she didn’t come off that way. I definitely will agree Reggie H shouldn’t have left her so undeveloped (warrior somewhat genius fun-loving kid sister) but that didn’t give Mayberry the license to do what he did.. she should be a tech mage or a Alchemist or both she occupy the space the BP won’t in the franchise and cover things that he won’t. She can channel/Control/manipulate magic, alchemy & etc.. She can be in Pantherb alchemist, Sky panther, Iron Panther , sage panther panther sage, mage panther, panther mage, panther seer. Something Panther but just not The Black Panther.

I don't like it specifically because there was no future in her taking the mantle. It was never going to be permanent, her whole arc ending with her being queen and BP was folly. Yes she didn't have a skill set that was different than T'Challas other then she prefered armor and T'Challa didn't. Hence why my idea of her becoming the lioness and being backed by P.R.I.D.E works. T'Challa is all about doing things himself and not relying on anybody unless absolutely necessary. Shuri and pride allows her to be somewhat an ensemble and a useful asset to T'Challa if the need arises. It's allows for an elite group unique and having their own set up and makes Shuri a Stark difference to T'Challa.

She relies on her team and trust's them, while also giving us a glimpse at Just how far Wakandan tech is ahead of the rest of the world. Kinda like how a page or so back it was mentioned that Wakanda shouldn't have a super soldier program but instead a Future soldier program, Shuri and pride are at the forefront of it all. T'Challa is a minimalist who uses his advanced tech on orthodox and unorthodox ways while Shuri utilizes Wakandan tech like a pro and is a natural. The sorcery angle can work but honestly, Wakandas thing is advanced tech, and despite being around for 50+ year's to this day we still see then using stick spears and conventional guns. Expand on Wakandan tech, show is why they are so dangerous and how, as Pantherjack put it "Wakandan technology is a match for anything!"

I don't like it specifically because there was no future in her taking the mantle. It was never going to be permanent, her whole arc ending with her being queen and BP was folly. Yes she didn't have a skill set that was different than T'Challas other then she prefered armor and T'Challa didn't. Hence why my idea of her becoming the lioness and being backed by P.R.I.D.E works. T'Challa is all about doing things himself and not relying on anybody unless absolutely necessary. Shuri and pride allows her to be somewhat an ensemble and a useful asset to T'Challa if the need arises. It's allows for an elite group unique and having their own set up and makes Shuri a Stark difference to T'Challa.

She relies on her team and trust's them, while also giving us a glimpse at Just how far Wakandan tech is ahead of the rest of the world. Kinda like how a page or so back it was mentioned that Wakanda shouldn't have a super soldier program but instead a Future soldier program, Shuri and pride are at the forefront of it all. T'Challa is a minimalist who uses his advanced tech on orthodox and unorthodox ways while Shuri utilizes Wakandan tech like a pro and is a natural. The sorcery angle can work but honestly, Wakandas thing is advanced tech, and despite being around for 50+ year's to this day we still see then using stick spears and conventional guns. Expand on Wakandan tech, show is why they are so dangerous and how, as Pantherjack put it "Wakandan technology is a match for anything!"
    You are going to love King in Black.

<runs away, laughing maniacally>Geoff</runs away, laughing maniacally>

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    I would put a lot of the blame on the issues with surgery on Jonathan Mayberry, He was tasked with developing her when he took over the title but the more you go back and read his work it look like he was interviewing to write Deadpool, Captain America Dr. Doom & others.. in my opinion he was poisonous for the myths and was the worst BP writer we had up until TNC. Other then S’Yan & Bast Shuri was hurt most by him. And it was him who made her into a less intelligent female T’Challa b4 imo she didn’t come off that way. I definitely will agree Reggie H shouldn’t have left her so undeveloped (warrior somewhat genius fun-loving kid sister) but that didn’t give Mayberry the license to do what he did.. she should be a tech mage or a Alchemist or both she occupy the space the BP won’t in the franchise and cover things that he won’t. She can channel/Control/manipulate magic, alchemy & etc.. She can be in Pantherb alchemist, Sky panther, Iron Panther , sage panther panther sage, mage panther, panther mage, panther seer. Something Panther but just not The Black Panther.
    That would've been the ideal direction for her character. And as poorly implemented as it was, Shuri becoming Griot was laying the foundation for that to happen. The clearest and most sensible distinction that could be made between T'Challa and Shuri is one specializing in tech and the other using magic.

T'Challa had it baked into his character from the beginning as a super-scientist and martial artist, but there has never been a consistent mystic type in his supporting cast and Shuri could've played that role before being spun-off into her own adventures. He handles the espionage, royal politics, super-tech stuff, Shuri handles the magic, demons, ancient evils from the shadows. That's obviously no longer an option with the MCU characterization having become so iconic. Which is why...

this is the most feasible direction to take the character. Princess Shuri and the PRIDE (Princess Research Initiative Division Executives). Shuri is all about tech and expanding Wakanda's tech package. As Head Engineer of the Wakandan Design Group, she outfits and leads a team of young Wakandans all enhanced with tricked out tech and/or superhuman abilities, acting as a rapid response tech squadron.

They specialize in advancing Wakandan knowledge, deployment to hostile environments, neutralizing exotic threats with the latest in experimental tech. Like Redjack floated a few pages back, put them on those quirky Journey Into Mystery-esque adventures, centered around discovery and transmission of what they learn back to Wakanda. One minute they're in a dark dimension looking for a new energy source, next they're deep in the mutated swamps of Serpent Valley searching for some cure. Throw in some YA slice of life stuff (shitty boyfriends, girls night outs, etc.) and you got a viable route for Shuri to be the collegiate, Disney princess version of Moon Girl or Ironheart.
    Last edited by chief12d; 11-30-2020 at 02:12 PM.