Page 30 of 105 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
Results 436 to 450 of 1565
  1. #436
    Incredible Member KingNomarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Black Panther is the world's favorite superhero movie. Its the favorite in 48 countries.



    https://www.cashlady.com/favourite-superhero-movie/

  2. #437
    Incredible Member KingNomarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    627

    Default

    I wasn't expecting AoW to last long, 12 issues at most but now I say it'll probably last 6.

    I blame Marvel mismanaging the BP franchise by handing over to a guy that doesn't care about it. WoW and Crew did plenty of work to sour any potential that BP spinoffs could have. If books like Rise or BPvDP had came first instead maybe things would be different. More importantly Marvel needs someone else running point on the solo.

  3. #438
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    10,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    So....BP went up in sales ( 14,727 for November). Welp....Looks like we will be saying bye to AoW.

    Is Coates Panther really what people want and are most of us in this message board out of touch with what comic readers want?
    I doubt it.

    They keep throwing out the same tagline for the last 4 issues about how we find out how a "slave became a king etc, etc..." so people keeping thinking the final chapter is here.

  4. #439
    Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I doubt it.

    They keep throwing out the same tagline for the last 4 issues about how we find out how a "slave became a king etc, etc..." so people keeping thinking the final chapter is here.
    But at this point we are 19 issues in and people are still interested in Slave Panther and oppressive Wakanda? People are still interested in this story, more than AoW?

    Are we being close minded to Coates stuff or is it really as bad as we say it is?

    Also, I realize 16,000 in sales is not really that good. So at what point does Marvel say we need to make a change to the title?

  5. #440
    Astonishing Member Cville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    4,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    But at this point we are 19 issues in and people are still interested in Slave Panther and oppressive Wakanda? People are still interested in this story, more than AoW?

    Are we being close minded to Coates stuff or is it really as bad as we say it is?

    Also, I realize 16,000 in sales is not really that good. So at what point does Marvel say we need to make a change to the title?
    Like I said it's the first issue. The cover even said "new story arc starts here". Stores are just seeing if that will be able to move a few extra copies.

  6. #441
    Be Seeing You…
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    The numbers aren't as clear cut as they might appear, for two reasons:

    1) BP #19 had a Dustin Weaver variant cover, while issue #18 didn't have any variants. So there may be a slight bump because of that.
    2) If you sort the list by dollar rank instead of unit rank, you see this:

    HTML Code:
    137	137	135	Skulldigger & Skeleton Boy	1*	$3.99	12/18/19	Dark Horse	13,781
    126	126	136	Black Panther	                19	$3.99	12/18/19 	Marvel		15,666
    Question: How can a book that sold almost 2000 fewer units make more money at the same price?
    Answer: Overshipping.
    Last edited by DigiCom; 01-20-2020 at 11:41 AM.

  7. #442
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Man. That sucks. Maybe it's because AoW seems to have no direction really or the lack of other notable Characters on it. But I thought it wouldn't get this low yet
    That book was DOA with that roster. BP's own solo ain't even selling right now, so there's no way he can carry a book composed of D-listers when other books like Strikeforce and Savage Avengers are doing the whole superspy action thing better with a much stronger roster. No matter how good AOW is, and I think it's been solid for what it's going for, it was always going to live or die by reader interest in T'Challa. There's a reason he's in the field with them instead of being the Batman to their Young Justice lol.

    Hopefully yet another failed BP satellite title makes Marvel realize that Coates' direction is not inspiring new fans or satisfying old ones. T'Challa won't be an all-encompassing figure in the MU like Tony and Thor if his book doesn't have consistent sales and isn't telling the types of stories that command people's attention.

  8. #443
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    16,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Black Panther is the world's favorite superhero movie. Its the favorite in 48 countries.



    https://www.cashlady.com/favourite-superhero-movie/
    I love this thanks for sharing
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  9. #444
    Extraordinary Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    I wasn't expecting AoW to last long, 12 issues at most but now I say it'll probably last 6.

    I blame Marvel mismanaging the BP franchise by handing over to a guy that doesn't care about it. WoW and Crew did plenty of work to sour any potential that BP spinoffs could have. If books like Rise or BPvDP had came first instead maybe things would be different. More importantly Marvel needs someone else running point on the solo.
    Giving a guy full control over the franchise after a huge debut and letting him and his neophytes run rampant without any oversight or professionals to actually helpnthen form a coherent story.

    Marvel hamstrung BP form tue comics side and it's real telling when the rest of the mu is elevating T'Challa more thrn his own solo

  10. #445
    Astonishing Member Cville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    4,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    That book was DOA with that roster. BP's own solo ain't even selling right now, so there's no way he can carry a book composed of D-listers when other books like Strikeforce and Savage Avengers are doing the whole superspy action thing better with a much stronger roster. No matter how good AOW is, and I think it's been solid for what it's going for, it was always going to live or die by reader interest in T'Challa. There's a reason he's in the field with them instead of being the Batman to their Young Justice lol.

    Hopefully yet another failed BP satellite title makes Marvel realize that Coates' direction is not inspiring new fans or satisfying old ones. T'Challa won't be an all-encompassing figure in the MU like Tony and Thor if his book doesn't have consistent sales and isn't telling the types of stories that command people's attention.
    The bolded is more likely to happen with a crossover event where he is at the center of it. Tony and Cap had Civil War to launch them.

  11. #446
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    The bolded is more likely to happen with a crossover event where he is at the center of it. Tony and Cap had Civil War to launch them.
    That's true but I'm talking more in a general sense of relevance. I don't think the solo has even referenced the fact he's leading the Avengers. It's not seeding potential stories, concepts, or characters that could be exploited in other parts of the MU like what could've been done with AOW. In Marvel Incoming the lack of BP nuggets shows how barren future stories are gearing up to be. Where are the fellow heroes he's teaming up and establishing relationships with? Are we even getting a tie in to the Empyre stuff given that Wakanda is in the process of claiming an empire as large as both the Kree and Skrulls?

    T'Challa being stuck in Wakanda with bad stories isn't conducive to building those cross-franchise connections that allow him to be relevant in an organic way. An event is definitely necessary but it'll be a flash in the pan if his prominence isn't anchored with aspects of his mythos that are used elsewhere and command as much space as he does. That's why a strong selling solo that lends itself to fan speculation and influence over the rest of the MU is needed, like tends to be the case for other A-listers like Thor.
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-20-2020 at 01:00 PM.

  12. #447
    Mighty Member dkrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Man. That sucks. Maybe it's because AoW seems to have no direction really or the lack of other notable Characters on it. But I thought it wouldn't get this low yet
    My only question is, are they going to put this on Black Panther's head. They didn't have the conviction to go all in and have T'challa decide to just use his resources to be an upgrade version of SHIELD instead of a motley crew of odd figures and heroes. I would have loved to have seen what this could have been with Wakandian spy, spec-ops, hi-tech armored troops. The whole thing done Panther style but at global level. I believe that there was too much disconnect from his concepts of agents, missions and personnel.

  13. #448
    Be Seeing You…
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    That's true but I'm talking more in a general sense of relevance. I don't think the solo has even referenced the fact he's leading the Avengers.
    I think the closest we've come is Shuri scolding him for "playing superhero" when he should be king.

    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    My only question is, are they going to put this on Black Panther's head. They didn't have the conviction to go all in and have T'challa decide to just use his resources to be an upgrade version of SHIELD instead of a motley crew of odd figures and heroes. I would have loved to have seen what this could have been with Wakandian spy, spec-ops, hi-tech armored troops. The whole thing done Panther style but at global level. I believe that there was too much disconnect from his concepts of agents, missions and personnel.
    To be blunt, AoW looks like a vanity book, allowing Zub to play with whatever toys he wants. The whole "spy-fi" thing just comes off as a bat & switch.

  14. #449
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    She's all the way in now. Practically has duel citizenship. Waiting Saladin to do it for Miles.


    Tchalla mentions Krakoa one or two issues ago. We're caught up now.
    These are in fact, some of the finest BP related stories I've read in s long time and T'Challa doesn't appear in a single panel.

  15. #450
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    10,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    But at this point we are 19 issues in and people are still interested in Slave Panther and oppressive Wakanda? People are still interested in this story, more than AoW?

    Are we being close minded to Coates stuff or is it really as bad as we say it is?

    Also, I realize 16,000 in sales is not really that good. So at what point does Marvel say we need to make a change to the title?
    I seriously doubt that we are being closed minded.

    I'll just ask one question: What has Coates done to elevate T'Challa specifically? Has T'Challa done anything that stands out or is memorable?

    There may be some people who enjoy reading a watered down version of Black Panther while everyone else gets elevated.

    But speaking as someone who's been following BP for a very long time, Coates BP is crap.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •