Page 279 of 750 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329379 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,185 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Because it's fiction and it makes them more distinct from the outside world.
    What does this being fiction have anything to do with it? Almost every other character in the Marvel Universe has a last name.

There's bound to be like thirty T'Challas running around Wakanda right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    Why don't Wakandans have surnames? Wouldn't that cause mass confusion in the Wakandan public school system? Wouldn't the cause mass confusion in the Wakandan Military?
    It's not uncommon in Indonesia or Turkey. Technically, Iceland does not have surnames either, just patronymics. Given the way they tend to introduce themselves, I think Wakanda is the same way in the MCU.

Astonishing Member

What does this being fiction have anything to do with it? Almost every other character in the Marvel Universe has a last name.

There's bound to be like thirty T'Challas running around Wakanda right now.
    Because in a fictional story not everything that doesn't make sense needs an explanation. Single names are distinctive naming convention that separate Wakanda from the wider MU. The Rule of Cool is a common element of Wakandan worldbuilding which is why you get stuff like rhino cavalry in the MCU.
    Last edited by chief12d; 06-26-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Because in a fictional story not everything that doesn't make sense needs an explanation. Single names are distinctive naming convention that separate Wakanda from the wider MU. The Rule of Cool is a common element of Wakandan worldbuilding which is why you get stuff like rhino cavalry in the MCU.
    This definitively needs to be addressed or it needs to be corrected.

Wakandans should have surnames.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    His suit wasn't confirmed to be made by T'challa until Rise of the Black Panther. I would love you to prove me wrong though (seriously, I have no problem learning/being reminded lol).

The cool? fun? thing about Priest's writing is that he does it in a way where you assume T'challa did stuff but a lot of times it wasn't stated by Tchalla or it was never shown he did it.

Like the Negator pack thing. Fake Iron Man said T'challa modified it. Not t'challa... he didn't say a word. It is confirmed T'challa stole it but never that he actually modified it himself. so did T'challa actually sit down and do it himself? Or was it has Wakanda Science Team at his discretion. Very similar to the "trapping mephisto" thing. T'challa has (had?) a team.

Could he have? of course, he's a polymath genius. But a lot of stuff T'challa had or used could have easily been done by "Wakanda."
    Tchalla isn't the bragging type. He is the type to give credit where its due. If he (or the writer) wanted the reader to know who made it then they'd say so (which as you pointed out the other ppl gave credit to Tchalla). There's no reason to doubt that Tchalla was the mind behind it other than to seek ways to discredit him (a problem the movie has produced with its watered down version of the character).

It bothers me to see that Panther fans are now looking for ways to water the character down into this trashy james Bond esk character. James Bond is a role best reserved for the likes of Black Widow or Hawkeye. Tchalla is on an entirely different level mentally and that is his strength.

I hate movie verse panther more and more every day. So much so that they may as well kill him off and give the title to Shuri since she now has his intelligence and thusly his true superpower.
    Last edited by Ekie; 06-26-2020 at 07:13 PM.

He's T'Challa, son of T'Chaka, which is every bit as specific as calling him T'Challa T'Chakason.
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    His suit wasn't confirmed to be made by T'challa until Rise of the Black Panther. I would love you to prove me wrong though (seriously, I have no problem learning/being reminded lol).

The cool? fun? thing about Priest's writing is that he does it in a way where you assume T'challa did stuff but a lot of times it wasn't stated by Tchalla or it was never shown he did it.

Like the Negator pack thing. Fake Iron Man said T'challa modified it. Not t'challa... he didn't say a word. It is confirmed T'challa stole it but never that he actually modified it himself. so did T'challa actually sit down and do it himself? Or was it has Wakanda Science Team at his discretion. Very similar to the "trapping mephisto" thing. T'challa has (had?) a team.

Could he have? of course, he's a polymath genius. But a lot of stuff T'challa had or used could have easily been done by "Wakanda."
    In Strum Und Drang, Ross did say T'Challa made a few IMPROVEMENTS to his personal arsenal. One could take that as T'Challa was the one to actually update his gear.

Also see 2nd fight with Klaw and T'Challa says he's the one that discerned Klaw frequency. Since he wasn't really travel back & forth to Wakanda at that specific time, he's the one who probably made the electrical modification to the knife his father gave him.

Also, I believe Lee & Kirby had him invent things in his early appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Tchalla isn't the bragging type. He is the type to give credit where its due. If he (or the writer) wanted the reader to know who made it then they'd say so (which as you pointed out the other ppl gave credit to Tchalla). There's no reason to doubt that Tchalla was the mind behind it other than to seek ways to discredit him (a problem the movie has produced with its watered down version of the character).

It bothers me to see that Panther fans are now looking for ways to water the character down into this trashy james Bond esk character. James Bond is a role best reserved for the likes of Black Widow or Hawkeye. Tchalla is on an entirely different level mentally and that is his strength.

I hate movie verse panther more and more every day. So much so that they may as well kill him off and give the title to Shuri since she now has his intelligence and thusly his true superpower.
    That's taking it a bit far there. I mean, T'Challa is a genius on the MCU, yes he isn't sitting in a lab like shuri, and sure the sequel should definitely have a scene where he flexes his super genius a little to showcase the reason shuri is in the lab tinkering is because she has the TIME to do so, whereas he is running the country.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Not sure if I'm collecting Empyre yet, has anyone got eyes on it. I peeped some comments on it from the other thread about #0 Empyre and most of the commentary involving The Avengers had no mention of T'challa. I'm already triggered with how most of the images coming out really push BP to side chick status. Don't care about legacy privilege given to Captain America and Iron Man. If Black Panther's the leader of the current team the expectation is he is shown prominently on things involving The Avengers.
    T'Challa is in it but it's mostly a narration from Tony's perspective, it's bit bad, T'Challa is in it, he has some lines does a little, but it's just a set up issue. Maybe worth getting

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

This definitively needs to be addressed or it needs to be corrected.

Surnames are largely a Western invention.

That's enough reason for Wakanda to not have them.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post

Hate whatever you want, it doesn't change the fact that Priest's T'Challa is never stated to have invented any of the standard gear he operated with. The very first few issues show you that T'Challa brought a whole team of scientists with him and they helped him defeat Mephisto. The difference between Priest and everyone else is that he knew how to write it and still make it all look cool. Priest repeatedly showed T'Challa use his minimalist gear set-up creatively to get out of situations all the time. Guess which other famous character is known for doing that? James Bond. What do you honestly think the Dora Milaje were inspired by?

Starting to think some of you are looking at Priest's run with rose coloured glasses. Priest famously said T'Challa has nothing to prove to anyone. If what you took away from his reinvention of the character was that he was trying to show how much better T'Challa is at everything compared to everyone else then you missed the point by a mile. It's subsequent writers that pushed this narrative (Hudlin and Kiss did do right by the character) and why almost every story and every other writer is more interested in bringing him down a notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    He's T'Challa, son of T'Chaka, which is every bit as specific as calling him T'Challa T'Chakason.
    That's wholly inefficient. An antiquated cultural convention. This is the year 2020. Wakandans need to step up their surname game.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Surnames are largely a Western invention.

That's enough reason for Wakanda to not have them.
    Even Asgardians have surnames, and they aren't even Earthlings. Doesn't that seem backward to you?
    Last edited by Common Writer; 06-27-2020 at 04:05 AM.

That's wholly inefficient. An antiquated cultural convention. This is the year 2020. Wakandans need to step up their surname game.

Even Asgardians have surnames, and they aren't even Earthlings. Doesn't that seem backward to you?
    They're could be multiple T'Challa's walking around Wakanda but there would be only one Prince now King T'Challa.

Also, there was a Native American tribe used in one of the Assassins Creed games where their naming convention is giving their children a wholly unique name that no one else in their tribe has. Maybe Wakandan's use that same practice. Maybe the T is their surname and Shuri just prefers to not go by T'Shuri.

I'm just guessing by the way. *shrugs*

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Time 6:05. Coates' Captain America is ending too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJqd4UOp43w
    Also, the BP movie had tons of political commentary in it. It was just done in a tasteful way. So to say they will do the comics going forward like the movie with no politics is STUPID, honestly.

Just do NOT approach it with the same political lens that Ta-Neshi Coates did (i.e. very negative in regards to African Society, displaying the incompetence of a Black Lead government constantly, Black/African people's past is only categorized by slavery and dysfunction, etc.). Use Priest and Hudlin as a standard when addressing politics in BP comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Hate whatever you want, it doesn't change the fact that Priest's T'Challa is never stated to have invented any of the standard gear he operated with. The very first few issues show you that T'Challa brought a whole team of scientists with him and they helped him defeat Mephisto. The difference between Priest and everyone else is that he knew how to write it and still make it all look cool. Priest repeatedly showed T'Challa use his minimalist gear set-up creatively to get out of situations all the time. Guess which other famous character is known for doing that? James Bond. What do you honestly think the Dora Milaje were inspired by?

Starting to think some of you are looking at Priest's run with rose coloured glasses. Priest famously said T'Challa has nothing to prove to anyone. If what you took away from his reinvention of the character was that he was trying to show how much better T'Challa is at everything compared to everyone else then you missed the point by a mile. It's subsequent writers that pushed this narrative (Hudlin and Kiss did do right by the character) and why almost every story and every other writer is more interested in bringing him down a notch.
    So, it's a split between being a super genius in improvisation, or invention then?