Page 469 of 750 FirstFirst ... 369419459465466467468469470471472473479519569 ... LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,035 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    John David Washington is a great choice to carry on the legacy Boseman left behind. The sequel is probably getting pushed back 1-2 years anyway so that potentially gives him more time to get some meaty roles under his belt that solidify his cred as an actor.

The reality is, either way Disney goes BP2 makes them money. Recast or not, fans are gonna be anticipating how Marvel pays respect to Boseman's extraordinary contributions, and that'll only add to preexisting hype for the movie. So it really all comes down to optics and creative direction. If Coogler and Feige feel T'Challa is too important to die, a highly qualified black actor with the right marketing could be embraced by general audiences. At that point it all comes down to timing and picking the right man for the job. We're already seeing a shift, it's really the major nerd culture sites that they'd have to be concerned about.
    Understood, and agreed! We all know the reality full well that XPac loves to drum that Coogler and Feige will make their own decision about it. As a fan I have no problem with the idea of wiping out a strong black male character like T'Challa that has history and current cultural relevance to black males that are in need of a dicpictation of black male excellence, strength, and competence in a medium like this. I will never think that its cool to toss it out and put Shuri their like it will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Honest question: who would you rather be in this situation?

Would you rather be: (a) an actress already part of the Black Panther 'family', playing a character that based on source material is naturally earning the mantle (albeit through a hastened and unforeseen process). Or (b) the new guy, replacing the main actor and star of a massive cultural and financial milestone?

Think about it this way: would you rather be the guy who was already poised to be promoted but that has to come faster because the guy with the job passed away, or be the new hire who just got the job immediately?

"No one could ever replace the great Chadwick Boseman, I just hope I can follow in his footsteps and do this great character justice like he did"

These dudes have publicists for a reason and I really doubt media members would destroy someone for "not living up to Chadwick"

But of course Letita would have it on easier street. No one is gonna pick on the "first black female superhero!" It would be media suicide.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    "No one could ever replace the great Chadwick Boseman, I just hope I can follow in his footsteps and do this great character justice like he did"

These dudes have publicists for a reason and I really doubt media members would destroy someone for "not living up to Chadwick"

But of course Letita would have it on easier street. No one is gonna pick on the "first black female superhero!" It would be media suicide.
    It's not like white actresses haven't been driven off social media for roles like that, like Daisy Ridley. If she got that it'd be open season on Letitia. The Gater's would love to target her, that's why they tried to bring down Black Panther, along with Captain Marvel. By existing those movies are a threat to their ideologies, and this would go to any Black Panther actor - male or female.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    It's not like white actresses haven't been driven off social media for roles like that, like Daisy Ridley. If she got that it'd be open season on Letitia. The Gater's would love to target her, that's why they tried to bring down Black Panther, along with Captain Marvel. By existing those movies are a threat to their ideologies, and this would go to any Black Panther actor - male or female.
    gaters =/= media

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I have no doubt that Leticia would have an easier press run than whichever dude gets recast. For one you’re inviting more comparisons since they’d be playing the same character and the fact is like I’ve been saying, the press already has a preferred candidate. Just look at Grace Randolph basically campaigning for Shuri taking the role and lying about sources to back up her claim.

You think she’ll give a John David Washington or Trevante Rhodes the same reverence, or do you think she’ll have backhanded compliments and hard questions about Disney’s decision? Same goes for CBR or ScreenRant. There will definitely be some looking to describe a recast as an attempt to shut out a black woman and that could very well be a question the recasted actor has to confront, in which case that’s a harder question than I see Leticia ever getting. At most she’ll have to answer whether or not she can do Boseman justice lol.

The merchandise thing is hard to tell. Didn’t Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel do fine in toy sales? If that’s the case a well done Shuri film shouldn’t be too big a deal. I do know from my own kid that boys don’t buy girl toys so Disney May have to worry about that. But if other female leads can move merchandise I don’t see that being a big concern, but you and skyvolt probably know better than me lol
    If they do decide not to recast T'Challa, I'm pretty sure he'll still be in the movie even if it's just to die in it. And that'll be more than enough reason to still put out T'Challa merch. So for this movie at least, boys will likely still have stuff to buy. Next one may be a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    ANYONE will get heat for "replacing" Boseman, be it Letitia or some new actor.

That said of all the available choices, I'd think she's have the easiest time. She's someone that most of the audience already knows and a fair share of the audience probably already likes. Plus, fair or not any criticism of a woman getting the role will potentially be framed as sexist. So there will likely be a backlash AGAINST any backlash against her.

Again, anyone will get heat... she won't be completely immune. But she'll probably have an easier time than pretty much anyone else. It'll be a bit rough no matter what they do though.

But again, I think the bigger thing to remember is whatever backlash Coogler gets for whatever decision he makes won't even matter. The movie will almost certainly do well either way, so it's all ultimately just background noise.

Astonishing Member

gaters =/= media
    This. Idiotic anti-SJWs are gonna come for whoever takes the role. The fanbase is united now due to Boseman’s passing but it’ll eventually be back on the hamster wheel for some people and they’ll go back to hating on the film and its messages. Leticia admittedly might get it worse from those types because she’s a black woman but the difference between her and Ridley is that MCU fans will be less divided and there’s a better understanding of the circumstances her and the studio are in.

She’ll get the goodwill of filling in for the previous lead, not to mention the overall regime of Feige gets more support than the higher ups at Lucasfilm. Simply put, there’s not gonna be as much hate thrown her way and most of it will be offset by the overwhelming support of fans and the media eager for a black female superhero lead.

Honest question: who would you rather be in this situation?

Would you rather be: (a) an actress already part of the Black Panther 'family', playing a character that based on source material is naturally earning the mantle (albeit through a hastened and unforeseen process). Or (b) the new guy, replacing the main actor and star of a massive cultural and financial milestone?

Think about it this way: would you rather be the guy who was already poised to be promoted but that has to come faster because the guy with the job passed away, or be the new hire who just got the job immediately?
    Me personally? I'd want to be the guy stepping in to take on the role of T'Challa and continuing the legacy that Chadwick began. I don't see it as a challenge but as a responsibility. I'd also push for some kind of award dedicated to Boseman not only for his acting but for his charity work as well.

This. Idiotic anti-SJWs are gonna come for whoever takes the role. The fanbase is united now due to Boseman’s passing but it’ll eventually be back on the hamster wheel for some people and they’ll go back to hating on the film and its messages. Leticia admittedly might get it worse from those types because she’s a black woman but the difference between her and Ridley is that MCU fans will be less divided and there’s a better understanding of the circumstances her and the studio are in.

She’ll get the goodwill of filling in for the previous lead, not to mention the overall regime of Feige gets more support than the higher ups at Lucasfilm. Simply put, there’s not gonna be as much hate thrown her way and most of it will be offset by the overwhelming support of fans and the media eager for a black female superhero lead.
    Letita is really freaking likable too.

Snipes is a whole 15 years older than Chadwick, a man who even looked younger than his age. He doesn't look the part, I'm sorry. I also doubt Marvel would even consider him.

Also, I find the claim that John David looking to "Americanized" to be ridiculous. I know plenty of brothers that look just like him.
    John David Washington looks like a Harlem brother. You wouldn't buy him as a king of Wakanda.

You don't like Snipes? You say he's too old? Fine.

Let's go with Nate Parker. Why?

Nate+Parker+Chadwick+Boseman+EbRmsaG35dWm.jpg

1. He looks like a Black Panther, no joke.

2. He's three younger than Chadwick Boseman.

3. Him and Boseman used to be colleagues. Years ago, while accepting Trendsetter Award by the Congressional Black Caucus, Boseman used his platform to speak on Nate Parker and his movie Birth of Nation.

4. Nate Parker will channel the very essence of Nat Turner himself as T'Challa.

Nate Parker's past controversy needs to stay the hell away from BP.

IDC if it is all true or not. Don't need it around the franchise

Nate Parker's past controversy needs to stay the hell away from BP.

IDC if it is all true or not. Don't need it around the franchise
    I got three words for ya bruh: Robert Downey Junior.

Astonishing Member

Letita is really freaking likable too.
    That helps a lot. She seems like a really cool person and her character was well received. And unlike Ridley she would have at least had some presence in the franchise before becoming the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    John David Washington looks like a Harlem brother. You wouldn't buy him as a king of Wakanda.

You don't like Snipes? You say he's too old? Fine.

Let's go with Nate Parker. Why?

Nate+Parker+Chadwick+Boseman+EbRmsaG35dWm.jpg

1. He looks like a Black Panther, no joke.

2. He's three younger than Chadwick Boseman.

3. Him and Boseman used to be colleagues. Years ago, while accepting Trendsetter Award by the Congressional Black Caucus, Boseman used his platform to speak on Nate Parker and his movie Birth of Nation.

4. Nate Parker will channel the very essence of Nat Turner himself as T'Challa.
    Nate Parker is a black man with rape allegations whose made comments that angered the gay community. He'll be lucky if he appears in Hollywood ever again, let alone as one of Disney's premier supeheroes lol. Keep that man away from T'Challa and the MCU as a whole.

Astonishing Member

Being credibly charged with rape is in a league of its own in terms of controversy - it’s way more objectionable than whatever alcohol and substance abuse issues RDJ had in his past. So Nate Parker would just invite too much needless controversy to a already controversial decision to possibly replace Boseman. There’s tons of other talented black actors who can replace Boseman who don’t have that baggage. Marvel isn’t going to hire someone with those type of allegations to play a character who’s supposed to be a role model for children(especially black children). C’mon man.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 09-15-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

If RDJ was black and someone said he should replace Chadwick in the BP franchise, id say hell no too.