Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Expand Or Add To The Powerset Of Marvel's Weaker And/Or More Obscure Characters

For some of Marvel's less powerful and/or more obscure heroes and villains, how would you add to expand their power set.

Havok: Can create energy shields for brief periods and create energy spheres that hit fast but don't do as much damage as his beams.

Tigra: In human form, she can channel her "tiger side" without transforming. Her Tigra gets stronger putting her on the level of Kaine. She also gains the ability to transform into a tiger and is faster in this form.

Puma: Can transform into a normal-looking puma.

Aunt May should be able to transform into a human/wheat cake hybrid.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Are we adding powers, or just listing new ways in which they use their current powers?

You mentioned Havok, for example. As far as I know, he's the only being who can absorb massive amounts of cosmic energy, yet his strength, durability and other physical attributes do not meet superhuman criteria. He's mostly normal. That's a little like housing a 50 Megaton "Tsar Bomba" nuclear bomb in a bubblegum wrapper. And I won't get into the physics (i.e., "equal and opposite reaction") of a 170 lb man projecting massive levels of energy unidirectionally and somehow still being able to stand his ground. The blowback alone would be devastating, unless Alex either gained additional mass and musculature, or his powers are changed to reflect that, like Cyclops, he's really just a pass-through or conduit for the cosmic energy.

So I would probably give Alex superhuman physical attributes which scales to the amount of energy he has absorbed, or completely redefine how his powers work.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Are we adding powers, or just listing new ways in which they use their current powers?

You mentioned Havok, for example. As far as I know, he's the only being who can absorb massive amounts of cosmic energy, yet his strength, durability and other physical attributes do not meet superhuman criteria. He's mostly normal. That's a little like housing a 50 Megaton "Tsar Bomba" nuclear bomb in a bubblegum wrapper. And I won't get into the physics (i.e., "equal and opposite reaction") of a 170 lb man projecting massive levels of energy unidirectionally and somehow still being able to stand his ground. The blowback alone would be devastating, unless Alex either gained additional mass and musculature, or his powers are changed to reflect that, like Cyclops, he's really just a pass-through or conduit for the cosmic energy.

So I would probably give Alex superhuman physical attributes which scales to the amount of energy he has absorbed, or completely redefine how his powers work.
    Sounds like a little of both, adding to and/or expanding their power-sets.

Me, I'd have Night Thrasher's suit be a scaled-down powered armor designed principally to augment his abilities in melee combat, charged by the excess bioelectricity his body produces, as in my conception, he'd have the same powers as his half-brother Donyell "Bandit" Taylor. Then I'd throw in Steel Spider as a Metal Gear-style cyborg ninja, using a cybernetic arm to replace the one that got chewed off by Gargan-Venom in the post-Civil War Thunderbolts and wearing an exoskeleton designed primarily to mimic Spider-Man's powers (adhesive grip via Van der Waals forces, sensors woven throughout the suit to detect threats, synthetic spider silk shooters, and generally augmented strength, speed, and agility).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Falcon has to have an upgrade. His power of flight is not enough. I'd like to see him get some kind of offensive capabilities. Off the top of my head, maybe have wrist blaster gauntlets. Or maybe go back to his wings being hard light constructs which can turn into an assortment of weapons.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Havok: Can create energy shields for brief periods and create energy spheres that hit fast but don't do as much damage as his beams.
    Havok doesn't project beams. He channels plasma, and will do so omnidirectional if he doesn't concentrate. The best we ever saw was when he tried to compete with Dazzler with target practice.

Moreover I just don't see how his mutation would work in the manner you like. I would almost think Scott would be more likely to do this since he projects beams of force, not energy.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Havok doesn't project beams.
    Yes he does.

He channels plasma, and will do so omnidirectional if he doesn't concentrate. The best we ever saw was when he tried to compete with Dazzler with target practice.
    I don't think he has that issue anymore.

Moreover I just don't see how his mutation would work in the manner you like. I would almost think Scott would be more likely to do this since he projects beams of force, not energy.
    Why would it matter if they project force or plasma?

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Havok doesn't project beams. He channels plasma, and will do so omnidirectional if he doesn't concentrate. The best we ever saw was when he tried to compete with Dazzler with target practice.

Does Havok still wear a suit which assists him with focusing his energies?

Also, I don't think it's that big of a stretch for Havok to have some type of energy shield. If it's one thing that we know, it's that plasma can get really really hot, really really fast. Like Human Torch, Firelord, Frankie Raye and others, Havok should be enveloped by a corona of plasma when he's projecting energy that prevents him from being harmed by most objects. They'd simply be destroyed once they impacted the supercharged plasma field enveloping Havok. Further, all of this superheated plasma isn't occurring in a vacuum. The air itself would become supercharged, creating a type of variable high wind buffer which could also make it difficult for objects directed at Alex to hit their mark. Any sniper worth their salt will tell you that environmental factors like that are the difference between hits and misses.

The downside to this is that anyone who isn't invulnerable probably shouldn't stand too close to Havok when he starts blasting things. If his plasma corona/energy shield is hot enough to melt bullets, knives, shuriken, subzero ice spikes, then normal human skin has no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Falcon has to have an upgrade. His power of flight is not enough.
    Agreed, although let's not forget about his awesome avian-delimited telepathy, bolstered by cybernetic implants and probably a Tweety Bird app for all I know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Abigail Brand - Can project green plasma from her hands as spheres or beams similar to Shego.

Ruby Summers - Can manifest black diamonds that detonate, releasing powerful energy bursts.

Tag - Can increase or decrease the attraction between objects including molecules.

Psylocke - Can throw her psionic knives.

Falcon has to have an upgrade. His power of flight is not enough. I'd like to see him get some kind of offensive capabilities. Off the top of my head, maybe have wrist blaster gauntlets. Or maybe go back to his wings being hard light constructs which can turn into an assortment of weapons.
    I liked the Priest-era light wings. but I guess writers don't like them anymore. Obviously the Ultimate and Films version has guns. I'm not sure I'm that interested in 616 sam having guns, unless they are non-lethal based.

as far as villains, I'd like to see an updated Human Fly character, a new Grizzly, Kangaroo, Gibbon.

with the mutants, I don't know-- so many people have had secondary, mutations over the years.

The Falcon: Proposed Changes

Sam wouldn't have any powers of his own at all, not even the bird telepathy. Any superhuman feats performed by Sam and witnessed in the field will be attributable to the bird. (See Redwing: Proposed Changes.) Nevertheless, Sam would be a top martial arts fighter with mastery of several forms, but not every form. His physical scores would be that of someone who was on the cusp of "peak human" standard. He'd be a skilled pilot that can fly any vessel ever made, Terran or otherwise. His weapons mastery would extend to particle weapons as well as conventional arms, including katana, daggers, and shields/sword-breakers. In other words, your basic street level badass who can excel in any combat environment.

Redwing: Proposed Changes

1. Primordial origin. Despite its appearance, Redwing is not a falcon, but rather a special breed of immortal Falconiforms sacred to the Creator*. It is said that these bird-like creatures were born before the dawn of time and carried the light and power of the Big Bang on their wings, piercing the darkness and nothingness that was Oblivion. Once their work was done, these creatures settled all across this new creation. One became the Phoenix Force. But others settled into more quietly obscure roles. Redwing is one of those creatures. It was his talons that scarred the face of Oblivion, his first prey, thus taking the role of King of Primordial Raptors. In the end times, King Redwing will renew this battle with his ancient enemy.

2. Cosmic Bond & Lifeforce Pairing: Just as the Phoenix Force is able to adopt a host, all of the primordial raptors have the ability to form some type of bond with other sentient creatures of their choosing. Through this bond, a primordial raptor can share its own sentience or cosmic abilities as it so chooses. To date, we've only seen Redwing share its avian telepathy and perspective with Sam. But that will change.

Redwing's lifeforce is intertwined with Sam's. So long as Sam lives, Redwing cannot truly die, although it can be harmed. The same applies to Sam. As long as Redwing exists somewhere Sam cannot be permanently killed. Sam will continue to exist on the astral plane until his bond with Redwing is severed.

4. Primordial Force Powers: In its true form Redwing harbors tremendous powers that enable it to hunt and in some cases "kill" Cosmic Abstracts, especially those from the previous cosmos. Redwing, if it so chooses, can bestow a number of superhuman attributes on Sam, including superhuman strength and durability, enhanced psionic abilities (not just bird telepathy), enhanced senses and perceptions, kinetic energy absorption, flight at rates faster than light via warp space, creation of force fields using primordial particles, and others. Obviously, Redwing is able to survive indefinitely in the void of space, as well as the extreme temperatures of the sun. It does so whenever it flies into the heart of stars to sun bathe and recharge.

It is not clear why to date Redwing has not shared any of its cosmic powers with Sam. Perhaps, the Red Skull's use of the Cosmic Cube had some unknown affect on Redwing? Or perhaps Redwing simply hasn't reached the point where it feels that it can trust Sam, a human being no less, with these powers? But that will change.

5. Cosmic Mate: Just like their Earthly counterparts, primordial raptors mate for life. It is believed at the appropriate time, Redwing, King of Primordial Raptors, will mate with the Phoenix entity as his queen to create the next universe's cauldron of cosmic raptors.

*Note: Also known as The One Above All

Astonishing Member

You wouldn't be the first person to think of it. He had similar abilities in the Avengers Assemble cartoon along with being able to slice things with his wings.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Honestly I look at a character like Hawks in My Hero Academia and think it would be cool of Sam could control.manipulate the individual "feathers" or his wings. Maybe make it into programmable matter where he can manipulate the shape to fit his needs.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Honestly I look at a character like Hawks in My Hero Academia and think it would be cool of Sam could control.manipulate the individual "feathers" or his wings. Maybe make it into programmable matter where he can manipulate the shape to fit his needs.
    Programmable matter would be spectacular, though I admit I didn't know about that until the Miles Morales game by Insomniac. Then I looked it up and from what I could glean, it sounded quite amazing.
    The spider is always on the hunt.