Page 34 of 750 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134534 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Coates is a great listen.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Oh its just Baron Zemo wandering around. Murderer of T'Chaka who T'Challa decided for some reason not to kill. I'm sure this will be addressed in the future. Yep, sure of it.
    Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 01-22-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Wait... Who said Ryan Coogler is having a baby!

Oaktown... aka Oakland.

At an upper class hospital for black folks with money the maternity ward is in full Wakanda Forever mode.

After much effort a newborn baby is delivered.

Nurse: "Awwww... It's a... Its..."

Ryan Coogler: "What's the problem?"

Nurse: "I'll go get the doctor... This is unbelievable!"

Ryan Coogler: "WTF!!!"

Ryan Coogler: "SON OF A... Where is that little green MF!"

Meanwhile back at the Jedi temple Master Yoda senses a serious disturbance in the force and calls one of his boys to come pick him up before "ISH" got real...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfvxi15ljuQ

Burbank.

Mickey "Money" Mouse accepts a collect call from Dagobah.

Mickey "Money" Mouse: "You did what... With who... I thought you Jedi abstained from that sort of thing... C'mon man you messing with my money... Black Panther is more popular than Star Wars these days... I'm looking at the map right now... Yes I'm serious somebody posted a map on CBR showing Black Panther is big in 48 countries!"

https://www.cashlady.com/favourite-superhero-movie/

Mickey "Money" Mouse: "Hell to the NAW you force users just flopped in China... Listen N!&&@ I paid George Lucas 4 billion for you guys I aint got the rest of money back and now this... FRAK that why you always talking backwards can't you give me a straight answer... A swamp... No get back to the states right now or I'll send the Avengers to come collect you like Thanos on the farm... Don't put words in my mouth those Jedi mind tricks don't work on me I aint for playing... Look we need to fix this it's bad enough T'chadwick doesn't want to do Disney Plus!"

(click)
    Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    I was watchin this interview that Coates did with Jason Reynolds at NY Comic Con 2017. If you watch to the video at 10:50 to 15:00 and 26:55 to 29:00. Reynolds ask questions to Coates along the same thinking many of us would initially have of someone getting to write Black panther. Coates response let's you know why we have been getting the Crap Panther we've been getting for the past 4 yrs.

55:35 to 57:45 shows why Coates will NEVER consider any of our inputs in the message board regarding BP.

Yeaaaa. That whole bit about how he was grateful Priest and Hudlin showed tchalla kicking ass so he could basically turn him into a punk is really what gets me. He states thst people already knows he is cool and he is respected.. i mean he made his MCU debut abd was a smadh hit. There were plenty of people who didn't know about hin and their exposure is him getting chumped by goons and being inept.

There's a reason priest and Hudlin, McDuffie, then liss kept showing him as a badass. Because you are cementing it and building on it. You start showing 4 years a chump Black panther and people will stick to that isht. Harder then with a white hero. So this thought of "oh well they showed him as this col sleek bad mfer now i can show him getting his ass handed to him and it will be okay because others have shown him busting ass so ican now tell ass backwards stories of Roy Thomas esque panther and it will be accepted".

If it were just S1 and he showed him on hard times, whatever, I would just ignore ot and move on, but it's the fact that it's the same isht. Where is T'Challas arc? Where is his growth? He got him in a low place in his own words (despite tro showing otherwise) so where is the climb back to status quo and above? Raising him higher then he has ever been? Because it's been 4 years and it's the same isht as day 1

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Ah, well quantity doesn't always mean it will be a good story. I mean I am sure some stories of his wouldn't hold in todays time. But really there are a few BP movie's stories I'd like to see adapted abd since they only do a few solo movies for characters, i think we will get the best stories
    Thor's had plenty of good runs. So he has quality and quantity on his side. But Marvel is afraid to touch his God mythos, so that hamstrings his movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Oh its just Baron Zemo wondering around. Murderer of T'Chaka who T'Challa decided for some reason not to kill. I'm sure this will be addressed in the future. Yep, sure of it.
    That's fairly normal in comics. Outside of the Punishers, most heroes don't kill their super villains even if they deserve it.

In story we can assume that when they are in their right mind (ie not blinded by rage like Stark and T'Challa were at various points in Civil War) they do believe in proper due process. But the meta reason is obviously stories need villains. Marvel will likely get a lot of milage out of Zemo in the upcoming years with the potential Thunderbolts stuff happening. So one way or the other Zemo was not going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Thor's had a published comic for decades. He took a hiatus for a bit, but he still has hundreds of stories to pull from, whereas T'Challa does not.
    I don't think that's much of an issue, considering we're talking about making less than half a dozen movies. Heck, Thor is the first instance in the MCU where they're making more than 3.

Considering the movies are such loose adaptations of the source material (sometimes just in name only), effectively the movies are creating new stories anyways.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yeaaaa. That whole bit about how he was grateful Priest and Hudlin showed tchalla kicking ass so he could basically turn him into a punk is really what gets me. He states thst people already knows he is cool and he is respected.. i mean he made his MCU debut abd was a smadh hit. There were plenty of people who didn't know about hin and their exposure is him getting chumped by goons and being inept.

There's a reason priest and Hudlin, McDuffie, then liss kept showing him as a badass. Because you are cementing it and building on it. You start showing 4 years a chump Black panther and people will stick to that isht. Harder then with a white hero. So this thought of "oh well they showed him as this col sleek bad mfer now i can show him getting his ass handed to him and it will be okay because others have shown him busting ass so ican now tell ass backwards stories of Roy Thomas esque panther and it will be accepted".

If it were just S1 and he showed him on hard times, whatever, I would just ignore ot and move on, but it's the fact that it's the same isht. Where is T'Challas arc? Where is his growth? He got him in a low place in his own words (despite tro showing otherwise) so where is the climb back to status quo and above? Raising him higher then he has ever been? Because it's been 4 years and it's the same isht as day 1
    It is an odd way to approach a comic book character. Interestingly enough, it's funny how he didn't approach Captain America that way. I guess he believes the black fans deserve an incompetent hero.

BP #19 15,666

AoW #4 10,468

Marvel comics doesn't care about the character and it is beyond obvious at this point.

Marvel comics has basically murdered any interest I have in the comic character when I can see the full potential of the character in other mediums... ie Marvel Studios and Pantherjack.

In turn, my pull list is the lowest its been in years as is my participation in anything Black Panther related.

To go from constantly updating a blog, IG page, modding/running r/blackpanther on reddit, participating in numerous BP discussions over the interwebs to.... maybe scanning 1 issue a month, shaking my head, and moving on.

Bravo marvel comics.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Oh its just Baron Zemo wandering around. Murderer of T'Chaka who T'Challa decided for some reason not to kill. I'm sure this will be addressed in the future. Yep, sure of it.
    I doubt he'll be a free man for long. And frankly, I think T'Challa will have other things to occupy him.

Coates didn't really try to capitalize on the success of the film to boost the character in the comics. The writer of Captaina Marvel did and look at how that book is performing.

I have recently been going back and reading old Black Panther stories from Priest, Hudlin, & Narcisse and there is so much potential for the character that's not being utilized. Especially in comparison to other heroes. It's sad really.
    Last edited by Vibranium Weave; 01-22-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Here is a review of the lastest "Adventures of Lack Panther" by Ta-Nehisi Coates:

It’s becoming difficult to distinguish between issues of Black Panther; it’s hard to know if this is the second or third (or fourth?) installment of characters discussing the battle to come with only the slightest changes to the circumstances or action. The core ideas are good; a conversation between T’Challa and his ancestors about the value of history is significant, but still far too little to justify the space this issue spends meandering. There’s only so much that both of the talented artists can do with a sequences that all consist of characters walking and talking. Good ideas stretched across far too many issues and lacking a strong visual component is making it difficult to stick with this series.
    It comes from CB.

Also, it's Black Panther vs Captain Marvel in CM issue 14. I haven't had a ch6 to read it yet.

Incredible Member

Or maybe Comicbook fans in General simply dont care about BP..
    BP being under 20k in sales is simply mind blowing.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    this is the unfortunate truth I think some may not be prepared to accept. many people blame the poor sales numbers on coates but the reality is a lot of the books that were not tied to coates, including agents of wakanda, have done poorly. I want this to change but the market hasnt been kind to books that are focused on black characters.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    Many of us in this board want the BP comics to have a new creative team to replace Coates. So...if the sales under his pen is at this point it could lead in the right direction.

I care about the character as well as other comic fans, but when the BP main title is written in a way to not have you root for T'Challa for 4 years...this is what happens.

I hope that this is the dusk before the dawn.

Regarding AoW, it's a team book with many no name characters. I actually skipped issue 4 because it didn't interest me but have collected 1-3 & 5.

Marvel should take some efforts to put an actual comic writer on the main series who can respect the character and mythos.