Page 91 of 750 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191591 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 11243
    Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

So...I have final sat down and read issue 6 of AoW. It's ........ okay. I think the word " Average" was used early and I can see that.

It's like some of these writers don't even try to goggle some of T'Challa feats and abilities, like Kelly Thompson in Captain Marvel. He should have been able to detect that it was a robot and not the real Nick Fury. He has done this feat twice now with Doom Bots (unless these "Livewires" are better designed than Doombots).

But I did like the ending discussion he had with Okoye. It showed T'Challa's nobility and caring heart, traits on full display in stories like "Strum Und Drang" and "Enemy of the State 2". He's a leader who takes an active role in safeguarding others because he cares and feels it's his responsibility to do so. Okoye shares this trait with T'Challa as well.

On to the next issue of AoW.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Regarding Shuri as queen in the MCU......please let us have a trilogy with King T'Challa. Nuff' Said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    I wanted to point this out as well on twitter but since racial subjects might sometime prove sensitive, I will just keep this to myself before I am labelled as a misogynist due to me not wanting Shuri a black woman to be BP yet.
    Yeah real talk, I think that there is a little bit of a low key agenda to stir strife between black men and women in our culture right now. However I don't think that you are misogynistic for pointing out truth.
    Last edited by dkrook; 02-12-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    It's almost as if someone wants black men to be invisible in the medium. Soon Miles will be the only real one left until somebody gets the dumb idea that he is better off a female.
    You are NOT the first to notice that. And it seems FUNNY the main folks doing it have dark skin.

This is T'Challas mythos, if they want to make Shuri a hero then do it in her own series, don't try and hijack and push T'Challa out
    To be honest they have. She had her own series, a cartoon special and a novel by a well know black author.

If T'Challa gets replaced by Shuri in the next movie, people will be quick to point out the fact that Marvel's trinity of heroes got to have trilogies that ended up with a satisfying conclusion to some of them meanwhile T'Challa shafted immediately and didn't even get to be BP for a lengthy period of time.
    They forget what everyone went through to get T'Challa a film. A Marvel executive FOUGHT and had to be REMOVED. A movement to review bomb the film happened. A certain set of black folks were READY to boycott the film over who Michael B Jordan dates. Another were ready to boycott if they didn't approve how the women were done in the film.

Yet it made a billion and won 3 Oscars. Aside from Dick Tracy-no other comic movie can boast those Oscar wins.
    I saw for a good YEAR Black Panther books dominate Amazon sales. Saw anything with his face SELL OUT.

He's about to become the first black hero at the big two with 200 issues.

Yet to certain factions-that does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    So...I have final sat down and read issue 6 of AoW. It's ........ okay. I think the word " Average" was used early and I can see that.

It's like some of these writers don't even try to goggle some of T'Challa feats and abilities, like Kelly Thompson in Captain Marvel. He should have been able to detect that it was a robot and not the real Nick Fury. He has done this feat twice now with Doom Bots (unless these "Livewires" are better designed than Doombots).

But I did like the ending discussion he had with Okoye. It showed T'Challa's nobility and caring heart, traits on full display in stories like "Strum Und Drang" and "Enemy of the State 2". He's a leader who takes an active role in safeguarding others because he cares and feels it's his responsibility to do so. Okoye shares this trait with T'Challa as well.

On to the next issue of AoW.
    Yeah it was okay. I was on-board initially with 2 issue stories but it makes it feel too hollow, there isn't enough time to really develop cool ideas or give the characters clearer agency which In Turn makes the stories less impactful and just kinda there. That's how this issue was. Still better than anything on out of his solo and it was an Okay issue.. but I want a good/great issue

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    It's not misogynistic to want the title Character, you know, the character that has been around for over 50 years, to be treated the same as other heroes and atleast get his trilogy solo movies before being replaced by a another character. T'Challa deserves the same respect ad any other hero. Black men and black women should not be fighting each other for limelight, they should be demanding equal treatment and not hamstring the other. I wouldn't expect a Black female hero to be replaced by a black male character do why are people trying to act like it should work the other way? Comic book synergy? Well T'Challa was married to Storm and vibranium became inert at one point.. i don't want nor expect either of those to happen.
    Unfortunately, this is the political climate we live in where if you as a man are against a change of some sort that is in favour of a woman then you are classified as someone who doesn't want to see women empowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    Regarding Shuri as queen in the MCU......please let us have a trilogy with King T'Challa. Nuff' Said.
    I don't think we have to worry about it.

In the comics, Shuri replaced T'Challa as Black Panther but T'Challa was still obviously the main character. Until Boseman is ready to leave marvel, I'm sure the same will be said for the Black Panther franchise.

Coogler did a good job with the first movie. I think he has earned the benefit of the doubt in whatever direction he chooses to take the next one.

Yeah real talk, I think that there is a little bit of a low key agenda to stir strife between black men and women in our culture right now. However I don't think that you are misogynistic for pointing out truth.

I don't think it's low-key anymore.

The thing is, there doesn't have to be any strife here. We saw this happened in the comics, and it turned out fine. Shuri got to be Black Panther for a hot second, and for the most part she did fine (until maybe the very end there), but T'Challa was still obviously the star of the franchise. It doesn't have to be a choice between one or the other... BOTH can be pushed at the same time. Hudlin making Shuri the Black Panther didn't ultimately hurt T'Challa... if anything it probably helped. And I'm sure Coogler would do the same.

Unless of course Boseman is leaving... then yeah, you have to start transitioning away from him. But until that happens, I'm sure the vast sucess his movie has gotten will ensure that Boseman remains in the spotlight as long as he wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

I don't think it's low-key anymore.
    If anything the Black Panther film showed that you can uplift and empower women WITHOUT degrading men in the process. Equality isn't a zero-sum game. Movie T'challa took the opinions and consideration of the women around him without looking like a bumbling, he-man woman hating, hotep fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yeah it was okay. I was on-board initially with 2 issue stories but it makes it feel too hollow, there isn't enough time to really develop cool ideas or give the characters clearer agency which In Turn makes the stories less impactful and just kinda there. That's how this issue was. Still better than anything on out of his solo and it was an Okay issue.. but I want a good/great issue
    If it makes it past 12 issues, I think we'll see longer story arcs. I think Zub is trying to get stories in before the title gets cancelled and not have anything hanging.

If he knows that he can get a longer arc in, he'll try one.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    If anything the Black Panther film showed that you can uplift and empower women WITHOUT degrading men in the process. Equality isn't a zero-sum game. Movie T'challa took the opinions and consideration of the women around him without looking like a bumbling, he-man woman hating, hotep fool.
    I think that some writers across all media just find it easier not to follow that path.

One thing that I've noticed in a lot of mainstream commercials and shows is the increased focus on interracial relationships to show diversity and that's not a bad thing. I just wish it wouldn't come at the expense of showing more black couples and families in relationships in TV/Film and other media. That has been sorely lacking.

[QUOTE=XPac;4832280]The thing is, there doesn't have to be any strife here. We saw this happened in the comics, and it turned out fine. Shuri got to be Black Panther for a hot second, and for the most part she did fine (until maybe the very end there), but T'Challa was still obviously the star of the franchise. It doesn't have to be a choice between one or the other... BOTH can be pushed at the same time. Hudlin making Shuri the Black Panther didn't ultimately hurt T'Challa... if anything it probably helped. And I'm sure Coogler would do the same.

Unless of course Boseman is leaving... then yeah, you have to start transitioning away from him. But until that happens, I'm sure the vast sucess his movie has gotten will ensure that Boseman remains in the spotlight as long as he wants

If anything the Black Panther film showed that you can uplift and empower women WITHOUT degrading men in the process. Equality isn't a zero-sum game.

Completely agree with Overhazard's point in relation to your own post. However there's a reason behind the shenanigans that we are seeing in the Black Panther book and the fact it has gone on unabated for this long. When you look at the writer and take into consideration contextual narrative of a man that believes that black people read as (men) need to calm down and assume passive position on issues. It becomes clear why we see T'challa as passive participant in saving and fightilng for his own nation. He continues to be diminished in influence in favor of his sister and lady.
    Last edited by dkrook; 02-13-2020 at 11:34 AM.

[QUOTE=dkrook;4832519]
    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The thing is, there doesn't have to be any strife here. We saw this happened in the comics, and it turned out fine. Shuri got to be Black Panther for a hot second, and for the most part she did fine (until maybe the very end there), but T'Challa was still obviously the star of the franchise. It doesn't have to be a choice between one or the other... BOTH can be pushed at the same time. Hudlin making Shuri the Black Panther didn't ultimately hurt T'Challa... if anything it probably helped. And I'm sure Coogler would do the same.

Unless of course Boseman is leaving... then yeah, you have to start transitioning away from him. But until that happens, I'm sure the vast sucess his movie has gotten will ensure that Boseman remains in the spotlight as long as he wants

If anything the Black Panther film showed that you can uplift and empower women WITHOUT degrading men in the process. Equality isn't a zero-sum game.

Completely agree with Overhazard's point in relation to your own post. However there's a reason behind the shenanigans that we are seeing in the Black Panther book and the fact it has gone on unabated for this long. When you look at the writer and take into consideration contextual narrative of a man that believes that black people read as (men) need to calm down and assume passive position on issues. It becomes clear why we see T'challa as passive participant in saving and fightilng for his own nation. He continues to be diminished in influence in favor of his sister and lady.
    What really gets me is that Wonder Woman did the exact same thing. Patty Jenkins could have easily had Steve Trevor be a misogynist or an incapable moron so that Diana would look better by comparison, but I guess her thinking was "Diana wouldn't fall in love with a man like that." So he wasn't written that way, which was really nice.

A quote of Coates's that comes to mind is "Subverting Black Male Machismo" I think by portraying T'challa this way, Coates thinks he's showing black men and boys that it's okay to be vulnerable and listen to the women around you, which are good things, but it comes at the expense of his capabilities, its possible to be vulnerable and be good at your job, why do so many creative types think it's either or? Do they even go outside or spend all day fighting on twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post

What really gets me is that Wonder Woman did the exact same thing. Patty Jenkins could have easily had Steve Trevor be a misogynist or an incapable moron so that Diana would look better by comparison, but I guess her thinking was "Diana wouldn't fall in love with a man like that." So he wasn't written that way, which was really nice.

A quote of Coates's that comes to mind is "Subverting Black Male Machismo" I think by portraying T'challa this way, Coates thinks he's showing black men and boys that it's okay to be vulnerable and listen to the women around you, which are good things, but it comes at the expense of his capabilities, its possible to be vulnerable and be good at your job, why do so many creative types think it's either or? Do they even go outside or spend all day fighting on twitter?
    Good question. Like I said, I think some writers just don't want to put in the effort to creatively portray Black men and women. As a matter of fact, your don't see many Black couples in mainstream comics at all.