Page 218 of 750 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228268318718 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    The techno jungle predates Priest, actually. As for the new outfit, Priest credited that to the "Wakandan Design Group" on his website.
    Right but I mean the daggers and the energy absorbing boots specifically. I don't know if that was by TChalla. Also there's the bit where Hunter tells Tony that TChalla could create a suit if he wanted to but chooses not to, as well as the whole stopping Tony's heart too with the Ultron code

I really need to track down the Liss run, one of these days. :shrug:

In any case, I guess I'm more interested in seeing "T'Challa the Strategist" than "T'Challa the Scientist".

But that's just my opinion.
    I think it's only an issue because a certain percentage of the comic book fan base measure intelligence by tech feats. If you built your own dyson sphere by the age of 14 in comics, you clearly went to community college. It's almost an offshot of the rumbles board mentality, where you meaure intelligence by who has the more powerful tech feat. Ie if Dooms tech beat the Beyonders but Iron Mans only beat Galactus, Doom must be smarter because the Beyonders are more powerful than Galactus.

It's understandable up to a point since a large percentage of the uber smart guys do also happen to be guys with the best tech feats under their belts. But it's also a pretty flawed model for measuring intelligence. Moon Girls is flat out THE smartest, and she is purely because marvel says she is. Simple as that.

That's the funniest part of this mess for me.

Now, I'm old and borderline crazy, but I can't recall T'Challa inventing ANYTHING in the Priest or Hudlin runs. And, of course, in the Liss run, he had to cobble together his tech from Radio Shack, which to me is more MacGyver than a master scientist.

Indeed, which storyline of that era had BP inventing things solo the most?

Where did we get the "nowhere room", and "shadow physics"?

The MAYBERRY run. I.e. the worst run of the modern era, until the Age of Coates™.

Just a little food for thought…
    Maberry had some good tech stuff. It just didn't amount to a hill of beans in that story.

Too bad, Ultimates didn't last. That was the best outlet for "super-genius " T'Challa.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    That's a problem for sure. But it's something that can be fixed very easily. TChalla is a super genius but he has never been the science type like Reed. He can keep up with Reed no problem and talk shop. But his genius has always been More of a Jack of all trades type. That's what needs to be highlighted. Again Disney and marvel simply needs to follow panther quests model.

I don't get feel like the MCU TChalla has been relegated to not being a super genius as he has only had one solo movie. And it's very much possible to easily showcase his intellect without having to show him in a lab. Or they can if they wanted. There could easily be a scene where TChalla is tinkering in a lab and be shown that he does that from time to time to clear his mind of kingly duties
    T'Challa is a super genius but his character isn't defined by his scientific genius anymore unlike Reed Richards. Reed could lose his powers and the heart of his character would still remain intact. If he lost his intelligence, it would be much more of a loss. We really have not seen a writer dive into T'Challa's scientific genius since Priest and maybe a little Mayberry with his shadow physics.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think it's only an issue because a certain percentage of the comic book fan base measure intelligence by tech feats. If you built your own dyson sphere by the age of 14 in comics, you clearly went to community college. It's almost an offshot of the rumbles board mentality, where you meaure intelligence by who has the more powerful tech feat. Ie if Dooms tech beat the Beyonders but Iron Mans only beat Galactus, Doom must be smarter because the Beyonders are more powerful than Galactus.

It's understandable up to a point since a large percentage of the uber smart guys do also happen to be guys with the best tech feats under their belts. But it's also a pretty flawed model for measuring intelligence. Moon Girls is flat out THE smartest, and she is purely because marvel says she is. Simple as that.
    Let's not forget, either, that most of them have greater financial resources to fuel those tech feats. I mean, T'Challa during the Liss run cobbling together what he could from stuff he got from RadioShack (R.I.P.) was quite impressive as an intelligence feat, which I found reminiscent of how Spider-Man typically operates with tech, since he doesn't have the same resources the other tech geniuses do, and yet he's put together web-fluid, web-shooters, a Spider-Signal, and even spider-tracers attuned to his spider-sense.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    T'Challa is a super genius but his character isn't defined by his scientific genius anymore unlike Reed Richards. Reed could lose his powers and the heart of his character would still remain intact. If he lost his intelligence, it would be much more of a loss. We really have not seen a writer dive into T'Challa's scientific genius since Priest and maybe a little Mayberry with his shadow physics.
    narcisse did in his mini. Honestly TChalla isn't one to spend a ton of time in a lab. The most we have seen has more so been the techno jungle.

I don't really care to see him in a lab. I want to see Priest/Hudlin level moves. As well as Ewing's ultimates moves. Ewing probably has done the most as of recent years for his tech genius side

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Let's not forget, either, that most of them have greater financial resources to fuel those tech feats. I mean, T'Challa during the Liss run cobbling together what he could from stuff he got from RadioShack (R.I.P.) was quite impressive as an intelligence feat, which I found reminiscent of how Spider-Man typically operates with tech, since he doesn't have the same resources the other tech geniuses do, and yet he's put together web-fluid, web-shooters, a Spider-Signal, and even spider-tracers attuned to his spider-sense.
    What do you mean by this? Because in terms of financial resources, TChalla is the richest hero in super hero comics (yes that includes DC as well)

He said in Hickman's FF that he has been selling 400 grams of VB a day at 10k per gram... That's 4 mil a day, and he had been doing it since he became king.. so when that number 90 trillion came amount for his wealth. I mean that's not a far fetched number

Why are we even talking about this?

"Marvel Comics needs to do thisÂ…"

"Marvel Studios shouldn't have done thatÂ…"

It's amazing how many unpublished creators we have on this thread that know for CERTAIN how best to write either 616! or MCU!T'challa.

As opposed to, you know, a bunch of fans who assume that what they like is what everybody else likes...

(I am, of course, excluding the esteemed Mr. Thorne, since he's actually DONE this isht.)

Did Coogler make a mistake downplaying T'Challa's scientific achievements and giving similar skills to Shuri? I'm sure many of you have reasons to believe so.

I, OTOH, have 1.3 billion reasons why you might be wrong.

The same goes for his portrayal of Killmonger, the Wakandan form of government, the challenge day concept, and anything else you might quibble about.

As for the comics... meh. BP is so important to the publishing arm that the main title isn't even on the announced release schedule for the next two months.

(Oddly enough, Agents of Wakanda #8 IS... but not until July 8th. And that's part 2 of an existing arc)

I shudder to think how much longer we'll have to suffer under Coates' literary pretensions.
    What else is there to talk about other than the betterment of the character whose thread we're inhabiting?

Money .. doesn't mean anything in terms of quality. Much less in terms of accurate representation of a character.
    On its own merits in terms of marketing, potential sales ...(which i find quite arguably when it come to the supporting casts lone profitability) ...and in terms of idealism yes you are correct its a nice business move.

What i care about is what the business move does for Tchalla personally. And as a long time follower of the character, i want more.
    They aren't going to make a wakanda and friends Video game. If Tchalla is found unappealing, un original, and bland by the mass public despite their love of Wakanda then IMHO all of the franchise will always wallow in Marvels half assed attemps at support.

Black panther has a chance to become Spiderman levels popular. The Nation of Wakanda and all of its outstanding warriors as a whole will not.

But the movies will make money no matter what.

As for science stuff Hickman, Mayberry, ultimas, various animated showings ect establish the fact that he is a scientific creator. Selectively picking out writers doesn't change that
    Last edited by Ekie; 05-02-2020 at 08:24 PM.

I don't know why people are worried about T'chadwick Boseman's current health status I was just at the gym and he is steady getting back in shape as we speak...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1255641165476646912
    Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    I don't know why people are worried about T'chadwick Boseman's current health status I was just at the gym and he is steady getting back in shape as we speak...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1255641165476646912
    Dammit flex I thought I was clicking this morning expecting tchadwick to be getting back to it, instead I see this insane work out and some dude doing some BP level jumps from push up position...

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Dammit flex I thought I was clicking this morning expecting tchadwick to be getting back to it, instead I see this insane work out and some dude doing some BP level jumps from push up position...
    It's even funnier with this narration

https://twitter.com/iamDULO/status/1256270763671207937

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    What else is there to talk about other than the betterment of the character whose thread we're inhabiting?

Money .. doesn't mean anything in terms of quality. Much less in terms of accurate representation of a character.
    On its own merits in terms of marketing, potential sales ...(which i find quite arguably when it come to the supporting casts lone profitability) ...and in terms of idealism yes you are correct its a nice business move.

What i care about is what the business move does for Tchalla personally. And as a long time follower of the character, i want more.
    They aren't going to make a wakanda and friends Video game. If Tchalla is found unappealing, un original, and bland by the mass public despite their love of Wakanda then IMHO all of the franchise will always wallow in Marvels half assed attemps at support.

Black panther has a chance to become Spiderman levels popular. The Nation of Wakanda and all of its outstanding warriors as a whole will not.

As for science stuff Hickman, Mayberry, ultimas, various animated showings ect establish the fact that he is a scientific creator. Selectively picking out writers doesn't change that
    Honestly I think you're worrying about nothing here.

The movie was popular. T'Challa is popular. And his supporting cast is popular. On pretty much all fronts all is well. Sure, there may be a few twitter remarks or whatever here and there, but in the grand scheme of things they amount to pretty much nothing.

On the movie side of things at least, everything has worked very very well so far. Well to the point Coogler and company probably deserve the benefit of the doubt until there's tangible reason to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    It's even funnier with this narration

https://twitter.com/iamDULO/status/1256270763671207937
    Ha ha that narration was epic.. definitely made it even more fire

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

What do you mean by this? Because in terms of financial resources, TChalla is the richest hero in super hero comics (yes that includes DC as well)

He said in Hickman's FF that he has been selling 400 grams of VB a day at 10k per gram... That's 4 mil a day, and he had been doing it since he became king.. so when that number 90 trillion came amount for his wealth. I mean that's not a far fetched number
    I was mostly comparing T'Challa in the David Liss run, who was at the time cut off from his usual resources in Wakanda and forced to make do with whatever he could put together from RadioShack, to how Spider-Man would typically operate with tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post

Yeah, up to a certain point. As for Black Panther equaling (or maybe eclipsing) Spider-Man in popularity, I would love to see that, but a major part of Spider-Man's popularity was his supporting cast, so building up "Wakanda and friends" would only help build up Black Panther in turn and strengthen the character and franchise.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar