Page 309 of 750 FirstFirst ... 209259299305306307308309310311312313319359409 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,635 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Black panther is back in second place in the american box office.
    What? That's crazy even with everything going on.
    Again, this franchise is a moneypot and we cant even get a cartoon sequel or a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    For the record, my specific issue was the number of guest stars that really had no major role or reason to be in the book (and the 4 guest stars who WEREN'T in the book).
    WS and Storm should not of been In it. I thought Namor and doom were fine although I wish Narcisse revamped the FF fight, I was disappointed that he didn't update that to just be a solid victory straight up

Buggin Out in Black Panther...

https://www.cbr.com/the-mandalorians...ely-next-step/

"Black Panther'd whoop his @$$" (@1:26)

Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    WS and Storm should not of been In it. I thought Namor and doom were fine although I wish Narcisse revamped the FF fight, I was disappointed that he didn't update that to just be a solid victory straight up
    I think WS one may have been my favorite issue though.

That seemed like pure raw T'challa

"yes, I knew this guy is gonna try and assassinate me so imma use to to show the world leaders whatsup and you know what guys, let's try this new suit ive been tinkering with to! Let's tests some theories boys and girls!"

Yes though, shoe horned in as hell. But WS has a history into being shoe horned into characters backgrounds
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I mean, what I don't get is how they didn't seem to Notice (or maybe they did but didnt care) that Coates had zero love for T'Challa or Wakanda at all.

Not that I'm defending Coates, but he would not be the first person who wrote a character he wasn't a fan of. Priest was the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not that I'm defending Coates, but he would not be the first person who wrote a character he wasn't a fan of. Priest was the same way.
    Priest is a comic professional. I think that is the big difference.

You could probably give him any character in the world and he would understand his job at the very minimum.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Priest is a comic professional. I think that is the big difference.

You could probably give him any character in the world and he would understand his job at the very minimum.
    That was pretty much him, in the late '80s, early '90s, especially at DC. Dude wrote everything from Arion the Immortal to The Unknown Soldier. Not to mention Conan & Indiana Jones.

People tend to forget that (mostly under another name) he wrote comics for fifteen years before he even touched BP.

Ultimate Member

But there is a difference between being a professional and then being petty and doing whatever to appeal to the certain fandom.

Priest hated Black Panther-it never showed in his writing.

McDuffie did NOT want 4 blacks in his Justice League run and felt one had no business there in the first place. You couldn't tell in his writing. I would suspect that person was Black Lighting-yet he never showed ill will towards him.

Gail Simone and Ethan Van Siever did not want to do Firestorm. Couldn't tell by the writing because Ronnie and Jason got treated equally.

MEANWHILE-

Tom King showed little respect to Duke Thomas.
    Conway showed ZERO respect to Jason Rusch.
    X-office has shown how many cheap shots at Black Panther?

And you have some editors who demand that stuff be done.
    Priest did not want to kill Ironfist. Shooter told him do it or be fired. Priest almost quit Marvel after that and that is part of the reason he got the Conan run (with his first issue cover being drawn by some unknown guy named JIM LEE).

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I think WS one may have been my favorite issue though.

That seemed like pure raw T'challa

"yes, I knew this guy is gonna try and assassinate me so imma use to to show the world leaders whatsup and you know what guys, let's try this new suit ive been tinkering with to! Let's tests some theories boys and girls!"

Yes though, shoe horned in as hell. But WS has a history into being shoe horned into characters backgrounds
    In terms of strictly from what makes Sense he shouldn't of been. That being said it was probably my favorite issue as well in Terms of how well it showcased T'Challa. I just wish we got the FF reboot

The difference was Priest didn't allow that to hinder is storytelling as he was a professional, and on top of that he even admitted that once he got to researching the character he started to like abd appreciate him and realized how far off he was from his original design

Priest absolutely can and has let his biases influence his writing. Not all the time and certainly not to T'Challa but it has happened. Just read his Spider-Man/Wolverine story from the 80s or hoe how he's written Wonder Woman and Cyborg.

As to Coates' professionalism, I think their benchmark for it is not being involved in sexual misconduct scandals or saying sexist stuff about women. A low bar to pass but given what has happened in the past weeks...
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-13-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Not trying to add to the cynicism, but I also find it interesting that there’s a huge push to give Shuri the BP mantle in the MCU. Marvel loves to build material for a character right before they get a big showing in the movies so killing off T’Challa and having Shuri take the mantle til BP 2 doesn’t seem THAT left field.

But Marvel rarely kills off their prominent black characters so there’s that. T’Challa is the leading original black character at Marvel, they know if they kill him off not even Luke Cage or Blue Marvel can adequately fill his shoes. Storm’s the same way. As the only A-list non-white mutant, the X-Men lose a bunch of diversity points if she dies.

But you never know I guess. Like was said before, the main issue isn’t T’Challa’s frequency of appearance but the quality of his use. Marvel can throw him a bunch of different books and put him on the cover of every event but if there’s not an editorial directive to make the best of those opportunities it seems like empty pandering.

T’Challa hasn’t gotten the godly push Marvel gave Iron Man and Thor back in the early-mid 2000’s. He’s not getting great writers or being used as the base for major events. There’s not a point man at editorial shutting down Coates’ stupid ideas or making sure the character can be protected during stuff like Empyre and the inevitable X-Men vs Avengers 2.0 crossover.

Frankly I think that a good portion of Marvel editorial think the success of BP was a fluke. So you have creators who prior to 2016 couldn’t give a damn about the character suddenly being forced to provide BP content. So they put an “intellectual” black journalist on the main book to excite the Twitter crowd and push out garbage minis focused on secondary D-list characters. The characters that do best at either of the Big 2 are the ones that have competent fans writing them. I don’t think there’s a single high level creator at Marvel who wants to write BP.
    I don't think the push is that big at all. It's a small number of people that are interested.

Astonishing Member

I don't think the push is that big at all. It's a small number of people that are interested.
    There's certainly a push by major outlets and large sections of black Twitter. Shuri is effectively the only black female superhero at Marvel or DC who has a realistic chance of getting her own film. Storm and Ironheart at best get Disney+ shows and Vixen is a lost cause.

So in the current era of "supporting black women" and "misogynoir" there's more than a handful of people speculating/hoping that T'Challa gives the throne to Shuri at the earliest opportunity. Not to mention "fans" who are slaves to comic continuity that think T'Challa needs to lose the throne before he can do things like join the Illuminati or be part of Secret Wars.

It's not a overwhelming push but in some sections of the fandom there's a clear undercurrent of support for Shuri getting the throne ASAP. I'm not overly concerned that will necessarily play out in either the comics or movies but I have a hard time believing that Marvel isn't aware this is something people want.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    There's certainly a push by major outlets and large sections of black Twitter. Shuri is effectively the only black female superhero at Marvel or DC who has a realistic chance of getting her own film. Storm and Ironheart at best get Disney+ shows and Vixen is a lost cause.

So in the current era of "supporting black women" and "misogynoir" there's more than a handful of people speculating/hoping that T'Challa gives the throne to Shuri at the earliest opportunity. Not to mention "fans" who are slaves to comic continuity that think T'Challa needs to lose the throne before he can do things like join the Illuminati or be part of Secret Wars.

It's not a overwhelming push but in some sections of the fandom there's a clear undercurrent of support for Shuri getting the throne ASAP. I'm not overly concerned that will necessarily play out in either the comics or movies but I have a hard time believing that Marvel isn't aware this is something people want.
    Eh I think it's a small number that are just very loud. It's the same people that want nakia to go the malice route so that Storm can be introduced into BP because "They were married in the comics" I don't think Coogler or marvel are going to do that. Because Chadwick is the drawing power behind BP, take him out for Shuri (who don't get me wrong she is a fun character) who is this wise cracking quip character like many of Marvel's heros isn't the best move. There was a breath of fresh air with T'Challa being a serious character who isn't cracking jokes every 3 min.

I don't think Chadwick's going to be replaced

I don 't think it's even a push so much as speculation. According to the internet back in the day, Boseman had a 5 movie deal. That may no longer be true, or may never have been true from the very beginning ... but that's what the internet reported. So it's easy for people to speculate that Shuri, who is half bosemans age, might take the mantle. It doesn't necessarily mean it's something fans or marvel want to happen... but it's pretty easy to speculate that might be where we are headed. Or it might not.