Page 12 of 750 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112512 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I'm genuinely curious, does anyone know how much sales actually matter at Marvel these days?

I mean, the Panther movie made more money in one week then the comic made in 30 years, I'd bet. You can have the comic to test ideas that become movies/cartoons, etc.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm genuinely curious, does anyone know how much sales actually matter at Marvel these days?

I mean, the Panther movie made more money in one week then the comic made in 30 years, I'd bet. You can have the comic to test ideas that become movies/cartoons, etc.
    You don't have to have a comic ongoing to make the movies. Look at the Eternals & Shang Chi. Same thing with Blade.

It seems to me that it's the other way around. The filmmakers pick and choose the elements of the character they like (and invent stuff to fill the blanks) and the comics play catch-up. I don't recall any MCU films that were directly inspired by the currently running title.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    It seems to me that it's the other way around. The filmmakers pick and choose the elements of the character they like (and invent stuff to fill the blanks) and the comics play catch-up. I don't recall any MCU films that were directly inspired by the currently running title.
    Err, really? Because T'Challa's vibranium suit discharging energy is fairly new. Not plot inspired obviously, but still a very new element added in.

Err, really? Because T'Challa's vibranium suit discharging energy is fairly new. Not plot inspired obviously, but still a very new element added in.
    Sometimes they may take certain elements from the comics, Digi isn't saying they take nothing from them. But vibranium makes sense to be able redistribute absorbed energy. But otherwise the comics are playing catch up with the movie, hence Shuris new look, Okoye and her MCU look. NuNakia, the habits new look.. but it goes back to what was said, film makers pick abf choose what they like and then invent new stuff. Aesthetics were inspired by stelfreeze, as was the force push

He did it in AvX. It's just the way it looks when it happens that's new.

My apologies, I should have specified that I mean plot & characterization. They do often use modern character designs (although in the case of Iron Man, that was partly due to hiring Adi Granov to do concept art), but not the actual current storylines.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    I have a question for people on this board. BP issue 200 is a huge milestone. If Coates is the only person to write it, would you purchase it?
    I'm the wrong person to ask because I've been purchasing it. My hope is they would have backup features similar to that annual that came out a few years ago to appeal to others, though.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yes, we count those, especially David Liss, the 3rd most respected BP writer after Priest and Hudlin imo.

Maberry had Shuri become Black Panther so no one ignores that either.
    Shuri became Black Panther under Reginald Hudlin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Coates counts it since he makes references to it. I don't like Mayberry save for some of the art, but I dont pretend like it didnt happen. Hickman came along and fixed most of it in FF and Avengers. Liss had good writing, but suffered from a premise that didnt appeal anyone except Marvel executives, leading to numbers similar to what Coates is getting now.
    And even with that, David Liss still delivered high quality work that ha true BP enthusiasts thrilled just before Marvel pulled the rug out from under Liss's creative feet to prepare for the BS they had planned to launch against T'Challa and Ororo during AvX

Just finished re-reading Strum Und Drang. I forgot how good of a story it was until I re-read it. If Coogler & Feige could pull off this story for BP 2, that would be wonderful.

Priest did a really good job of showing T'Challa as a noble Warrior King in Strum Und Drang.

Ultimate Member

Just finished re-reading Strum Und Drang. I forgot how good of a story it was until I re-read it. If Coogler & Feige could pull off this story for BP 2, that would be wonderful.

Priest did a really good job of showing T'Challa as a noble Warrior King in Strum Und Drang.
    Without Doom and Namor established, it'd be pointless, even if the Deviants are introduced well enough in Eternals.

I still say they ought to go with the first enemy of the state

Without Doom and Namor established, it'd be pointless, even if the Deviants are introduced well enough in Eternals. The critical characters were Klaw, Lord Ghur, Namor, and the child. I felt Magneto was there to show the dark side T'Challa could become.

I still say they ought to go with the first enemy of the state
    Well...if the rumors are true and they want to use Namor in BP 2 essentially you would just need another ruler. You could use Princess Zanda to replace Doom. The character of Doom is not super central to the storyline. You would just need another effective ruler. Zanda is also rumored to be ain BP 2.

It's possible, but not easy. If they could pull it off & have higher quality action scenes (like in CA:TWS & CW), it could be the best comic book movie.

I think enemy of the state could work as well. I actually never liked the 1st enemy of the state, but EoS 2 is my favorite BP movie. Maybe I will try reading EoS 1 again to see if my opinion changes.
    Last edited by Vibranium Weave; 01-06-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Well...if the rumors are true and they want to use Namor in BP 2 essentially you would just need another ruler.
    The latest rumor has Namor in the Doctor Strange sequel. I fully expect to hear news that he'll be in Shang-Chi, Eternals, and/or Love & Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    The latest rumor has Namor in the Doctor Strange sequel. I fully expect to hear news that he'll be in Shang-Chi, Eternals, and/or Love & Thunder.
    "Namor will appear in next spider Man movie! Inside source close to the project confirmed this, and according to the source Namor may even be the new Spidey at the end of the movie!" Yeah these rumours are all bullisht