Page 151 of 750 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251651 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    People worried about the stupid suit when it is the stupid writer.

Dude used the suit to beat up NON POWERED GOONS for christsake.

The suit isn't the problem

Narcisse didn't have a problem using the suit. Oh and imagine that, his Killmonger came prepared for the suit and worked around it just fine.
    Of course, the fact that he decided to have T'Challa have the suit at all back then is somewhat of a continuity problem since he establishes he had the suit prior to his first encounter with the FF, yet strangely doesn't bother using it again until post Secret Wars. Might have been easier to just have him not have the suit.

But that's a nitpick. He handled Killmonger well, in keeping th the undefeated streak alive without making T'Challa look bad. Though it's sort of funny that despite T'Challa losing to Killmonger a couple times, Shuri arguably defeats him the first time they meet.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Of course, the fact that he decided to have T'Challa have the suit at all back then is somewhat of a continuity problem since he establishes he had the suit prior to his first encounter with the FF, yet strangely doesn't bother using it again until post Secret Wars. Might have been easier to just have him not have the suit.
    Then again, we also had "Happy Pants" Panther between two dark & serious McGregor arcs.

But that's a nitpick. He handled Killmonger well, in keeping th the undefeated streak alive without making T'Challa look bad. Though it's sort of funny that despite T'Challa losing to Killmonger a couple times, Shuri arguably defeats him the first time they meet.
    A good writer can justify that easily. Actually, Jason Aaron gave a perfect blueprint for the explanation in SWAD in two panels:

Killmonger was worried about T'Challa, so he was focused on that. People don't always handle the unexpected well.

In fact, that fits Killmonger's personality. Remember how he was defeated the first time? A shoulder-block from behind by a young boy. Shuri is at LEAST as skilled as that.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Then again, we also had "Happy Pants" Panther between two dark & serious McGregor arcs.

A good writer can justify that easily. Actually, Jason Aaron gave a perfect blueprint for the explanation in SWAD in two panels:

Killmonger was worried about T'Challa, so he was focused on that. People don't always handle the unexpected well.

In fact, that fits Killmonger's personality. Remember how he was defeated the first time? A shoulder-block from behind by a young boy. Shuri is at LEAST as skilled as that.
    That's a pretty good point. A little bit of tunnel vison can cost you.

Killmonger is like those old dudes in the rubber masks from the Scooby Doo cartoon back in the day. "If it hadn't been for those pesky kids..."

That's a pretty good point. A little bit of tunnel vison can cost you.

Killmonger is like those old dudes in the rubber masks from the Scooby Doo cartoon back in the day. "If it hadn't been for those pesky kids..."
    Hubris can be a real bitch too.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    People worried about the stupid suit when it is the stupid writer.

Dude used the suit to beat up NON POWERED GOONS for christsake.

The suit isn't the problem

Narcisse didn't have a problem using the suit. Oh and imagine that, his Killmonger came prepared for the suit and worked around it just fine.
    "Bu-bu he has the potential to beat his rogue's easier!"

And the entire time he has had this new habit he has yet to be shown beating anybody, rogue's or not, any easier that if he didn't have it. Infact it's never even been a deciding factor in his victory, unless you count the fenris twins when they're goons blew up the habit..

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    "Bu-bu he has the potential to beat his rogue's easier!"

And the entire time he has had this new habit he has yet to be shown beating anybody, rogue's or not, any easier that if he didn't have it. Infact it's never even been a deciding factor in his victory, unless you count the fenris twins when they're goons blew up the habit..
    And really that's why this is only a theoretical problem rather than a practical one. It only has the POTENTIAL to beat his rogues easier... ignoring the suit when it's convenient solves that problem. The suit basically works when it's convenient to work, and doens't when it's not. Works just fine when he's being punched by Hulk, but against the Red Skull it might as well be toilet paper.

The suit isnt' overpowered in a practical sense because it likely won't ever be written that way. Consistency is nice... but in comics these sort of things happen.

And really that's why this is only a theoretical problem rather than a practical one. It only has the POTENTIAL to beat his rogues easier... ignoring the suit when it's convenient solves that problem. The suit basically works when it's convenient to work, and doens't when it's not. Works just fine when he's being punched by Hulk, but against the Red Skull it might as well be toilet paper.

The suit isnt' overpowered in a practical sense because it likely won't ever be written that way. Consistency is nice... but in comics these sort of things happen.
    Hence why the MCU got it right. They establish power tiers, just like there is a clear difference between peak human, super soldier, Spiderman level etc etc..

But everything has potential to be overpowered. His daggers have the potential to be overpowered when we see what he has done with them. As do his claws, as does kimoyo. But just because something has the potential, doesn't mean it should be scrapped or that it even will be
    So saying it should be scrapped because he can just stand and take a punch doesn't make sense because when in a fight, you should avoid being hot whenever possible, even if you can tank it, because things can fail. Or cause a fracture or weak point. Blocking or tanking should be a last resort, not the first choice

Hence why the MCU got it right. They establish power tiers, just like there is a clear difference between peak human, super soldier, Spiderman level etc etc..

But everything has potential to be overpowered. His daggers have the potential to be overpowered when we see what he has done with them. As do his claws, as does kimoyo. But just because something has the potential, doesn't mean it should be scrapped or that it even will be
    So saying it should be scrapped because he can just stand and take a punch doesn't make sense because when in a fight, you should avoid being hot whenever possible, even if you can tank it, because things can fail. Or cause a fracture or weak point. Blocking or tanking should be a last resort, not the first choice
    I wouldn't say it should be scrapped so much as I would say I wouldn't want it standardized.

My personal preference has always been that he's a minimalist in terms of tech. I'd prefer the suit not do the work for him when it's believable. I'd rather him dodge a blow rather than the suit absorbing the impact, and I'd prefer if he throw a punch or kick instead of the suit doing the offense for him. Against a character like Thanos, where it's not believable he'd be doing that sort of thing, the suit is fine... I'd be all for it being in thrice blessed armor or his Hulk Buster suit or whatever. It's fine as an option... just not something I necessarily want to see all the time.

But thats a matter of personal preferce. Again, I prefer him more Batman and less Iron Man.

Black Panther #21 14,623. 519 less compared to the previous issue.

BP & AoW #6 9,564. 477 less compared to the previous issue.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...0/2020-02.html

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post

Hold steady Agents of Wakanda!

I guess the 3-part Empyre: Invasion of Wakanda will be their final run. I just wanted them to hold on long enough for the solo sales to drop below the AoW numbers.

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

hi all, new poster here. Have read quite a few BP books over the years, no where near all of them though.

Remember reading some of Hudlin’s and Priest’s books back when I was in college. And have been enjoying the new books from Coates in recent years, have only read volumes one, two, four and five. That’s what the library has. I hear he’s probably done with the book soon, that’s a shame, but he’s had a good long run and I’ll be interested in seeing who all will be writing the character next. And for me there’s still several books I’ve yet to read.

Also I see there’s a Agents of Wakanda series and a Shuri series, how are those? I’ll probably give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    hi all, new poster here. Have read quite a few BP books over the years, no where near all of them though.

Remember reading some of Hudlin’s and Priest’s books back when I was in college. And have been enjoying the new books from Coates in recent years, have only read volumes one, two, four and five. That’s what the library has. I hear he’s probably done with the book soon, that’s a shame, but he’s had a good long run and I’ll be interested in seeing who all will be writing the character next. And for me there’s still several books I’ve yet to read.

Also I see there’s a Agents of Wakanda series and a Shuri series, how are those? I’ll probably give them a try.
    Hello and welcome to the thread. AoW is a good book imo. It only features T'Challa and Okoye as far as Wakandans but it reminds me of an oldschool marvel book from the 70s and 80s.

I haven't read Shuri's solo but I'm sure someone will stop in and give you the 411.

I wouldn't say it should be scrapped so much as I would say I wouldn't want it standardized.

My personal preference has always been that he's a minimalist in terms of tech. I'd prefer the suit not do the work for him when it's believable. I'd rather him dodge a blow rather than the suit absorbing the impact, and I'd prefer if he throw a punch or kick instead of the suit doing the offense for him. Against a character like Thanos, where it's not believable he'd be doing that sort of thing, the suit is fine... I'd be all for it being in thrice blessed armor or his Hulk Buster suit or whatever. It's fine as an option... just not something I necessarily want to see all the time.

But thats a matter of personal preferce. Again, I prefer him more Batman and less Iron Man.
    Let me ask you. Have you ever been in a fight? I highly doubt Coates has. But if you have ever been in a fight, be it street fight or cage fight, you don't ever want to be hit if you can help it. Ever. Why? Because one well placed hit can drop you. Even with protection on. I have knocked people out even with them and myself wearing gear. In highschool I unintentionally tore a police officers kneecap in a self-defense class with him wearing full-blown protection on. In a fight the goal is to avoid damage you can and block the stuff you can't. Just because Coates has T'Challa standing there tanking hits then using the force push doesn't show tech replacing skill. It shows a lack of understanding on Coates part about combat. A smarter way to showcase the use of the Force push in a logical way would be to use well placed blocks to absorb the attack following with a counter strike of your own with the force push further enhancing your own counter.

This is all stuff seen in the MCU that Coates lazily failed to be bothered with. This also doesn't turn him into Ironman as this tech is essentially designed with a h2h fighter in mind. You can use it to create space, punish a attack, hit a opponent trying to create distance and makes T'Challa an all out nightmare to face in general. For opponents it becomes, not only is he hard to hit, but if you do hit him his counter attacks going to be worse because their strength is literally turned against them

Let me ask you. Have you ever been in a fight? I highly doubt Coates has. But if you have ever been in a fight, be it street fight or cage fight, you don't ever want to be hit if you can help it. Ever. Why? Because one well placed hit can drop you. Even with protection on. I have knocked people out even with them and myself wearing gear. In highschool I unintentionally tore a police officers kneecap in a self-defense class with him wearing full-blown protection on. In a fight the goal is to avoid damage you can and block the stuff you can't. Just because Coates has T'Challa standing there tanking hits then using the force push doesn't show tech replacing skill. It shows a lack of understanding on Coates part about combat. A smarter way to showcase the use of the Force push in a logical way would be to use well placed blocks to absorb the attack following with a counter strike of your own with the force push further enhancing your own counter.

This is all stuff seen in the MCU that Coates lazily failed to be bothered with. This also doesn't turn him into Ironman as this tech is essentially designed with a h2h fighter in mind. You can use it to create space, punish a attack, hit a opponent trying to create distance and makes T'Challa an all out nightmare to face in general. For opponents it becomes, not only is he hard to hit, but if you do hit him his counter attacks going to be worse because their strength is literally turned against them
    Sure the force push can create space or punish an attack ... point being all that can be accomplished by skill to. I'd rather he be a nightmare to face because of what can do rather than what the suit can do. That's what deadpool learned in their team up.

It may be a subtle difference, but again it's just my personal preference.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post

those AoW numbers look realy really bad and it's only at issue 6... really sad.

and coates NOWHERE to be found.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 03-16-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!