Page 280 of 750 FirstFirst ... 180230270276277278279280281282283284290330380 ... LastLast
Results 4,186 to 4,200 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    Also, the BP movie had tons of political commentary in it. It was just done in a tasteful way. So to say they will do the comics going forward like the movie with no politics is STUPID, honestly.

Just do NOT approach it with the same political lens that Ta-Neshi Coates did (i.e. very negative in regards to African Society, displaying the incompetence of a Black Lead government constantly, Black/African people's past is only categorized by slavery and dysfunction, etc.). Use Priest and Hudlin as a standard when addressing politics in BP comics.
    I think sometimes people look at Priests run with overly rosey glasses, because from a political standpoint politics in Wakanda was pretty darn messy. They were constantly on the verge of tribal warfare. Wakanda wasn't really near utopian until Hudlin.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Hate whatever you want, it doesn't change the fact that Priest's T'Challa is never stated to have invented any of the standard gear he operated with. The very first few issues show you that T'Challa brought a whole team of scientists with him and they helped him defeat Mephisto. The difference between Priest and everyone else is that he knew how to write it and still make it all look cool. Priest repeatedly showed T'Challa use his minimalist gear set-up creatively to get out of situations all the time. Guess which other famous character is known for doing that? James Bond. What do you honestly think the Dora Milaje were inspired by?

Starting to think some of you are looking at Priest's run with rose coloured glasses. Priest famously said T'Challa has nothing to prove to anyone. If what you took away from his reinvention of the character was that he was trying to show how much better T'Challa is at everything compared to everyone else then you missed the point by a mile. It's subsequent writers that pushed this narrative (Hudlin and Kiss did do right by the character) and why almost every story and every other writer is more interested in bringing him down a notch.
    This is from Priest's OWN website. Please see image below:

bp invent.jpg

I believe the comments in the image above state Priest's intentions when writing BP.
    Last edited by Vibranium Weave; 06-27-2020 at 06:40 AM.

Hate whatever you want, it doesn't change the fact that Priest's T'Challa is never stated to have invented any of the standard gear he operated with. The very first few issues show you that T'Challa brought a whole team of scientists with him and they helped him defeat Mephisto. The difference between Priest and everyone else is that he knew how to write it and still make it all look cool. Priest repeatedly showed T'Challa use his minimalist gear set-up creatively to get out of situations all the time. Guess which other famous character is known for doing that? James Bond. What do you honestly think the Dora Milaje were inspired by?

Starting to think some of you are looking at Priest's run with rose coloured glasses. Priest famously said T'Challa has nothing to prove to anyone. If what you took away from his reinvention of the character was that he was trying to show how much better T'Challa is at everything compared to everyone else then you missed the point by a mile. It's subsequent writers that pushed this narrative (Hudlin and Kiss did do right by the character) and why almost every story and every other writer is more interested in bringing him down a notch.
    The Dahomey Amazons? Cause if you're implying they were inspired by the Bond Girls, that would mean T'Challa was sexually interested in them which is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So, it's a split between being a super genius in improvisation, or invention then?
    I think it's more the case that, when it ckmes down to it. T'Challa is a super genius who CAN build up super tech in a lab like Reed, he simply chooses not to, just like how hunter told Tony T'Challa could make a suit of armor like his.

Frankly, I prefer a dash of both, but with the former outweighing the later, I like the mindset that his standard gear is adequate for most situations, and only in rare occasions does he need to go outside of his tech to create something to handle the situation. Just have him use his tech like Priest did, conventional and unconventional method's

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    That's wholly inefficient. An antiquated cultural convention. This is the year 2020. Wakandans need to step up their surname game.

Even Asgardians have surnames, and they aren't even Earthlings. Doesn't that seem backward to you?
    Tell that to Iceland, which (like Asgard) only uses patronymic names, like Katrín Jakobsdóttir or Guðni Thorlacius Jóhannesson.

But Iceland is CLEARLY a primitive nation, right? It's only the oldest continuing democracy on the planet...

Based on that, having a name like "T'Challa son of T'Chaka" makes perfect sense.

Also, the BP movie had tons of political commentary in it. It was just done in a tasteful way. So to say they will do the comics going forward like the movie with no politics is STUPID, honestly.

Just do NOT approach it with the same political lens that Ta-Neshi Coates did (i.e. very negative in regards to African Society, displaying the incompetence of a Black Lead government constantly, Black/African people's past is only categorized by slavery and dysfunction, etc.). Use Priest and Hudlin as a standard when addressing politics in BP comics.
    To try and separate politics from T'Challa would be incredibly stupid. It more so shows a lack of understanding his world and trying to treat him like a regular superhero, instead of a warrior, hero, king and political juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    To try and separate politics from T'Challa would be incredibly stupid. It more so shows a lack of understanding his world and trying to treat him like a regular superhero, instead of a warrior, hero, king and political juggernaut
    The person who put that video together seems like some "right-wing" male, who probably would have issue with the politics in the actual Black panther movie (if it did not perform so well). I say this because i watched a portion of his other video on Coates writing Captain America and what he said about the Black Panther movie in the 1st few minutes of the video makes him come off as a "right-wing enthusiast" comic reader. So hopefully what he says about the politics leaving the comic is just hyperbole and not factual.

I hope this is not the kind of fan Marvel is hoping to get read the Black Panther, because that will NOT work at all and just alienate the core of actual & potential (like I once was before his debut in the MCU) Black Panther comic fans.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    Even Asgardians have surnames, and they aren't even Earthlings. Doesn't that seem backward to you?
    Marvel's Asgardians are based on mythical Asgardians, which are Western inventions. Do you see any African god's having surnames?

This is from Priest's OWN website. Please see image below:

bp invent.jpg

I believe the comments in the image above state Priest's intentions when writing BP.
    Take the quote in its full context: Priest is trying to tell you that he intentionally took away emphasis from his abilities as an inventor to focus on his abilities as a strategist.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Dahomey Amazons? Cause if you're implying they were inspired by the Bond Girls, that would mean T'Challa was sexually interested in them which is not the case.
    The Dora Milaje, particularly Okoye and Nakia, were clearly visualised to be femme fatales, as messed up as that is considering they were underage. But they were inspired by models. Particularly Naomi Campbell and Tyra Banks. And models have been Bond girls before, no?

Sure, the concept of an African king being flanked by female soldiers is obviously inspired by the Dahomey Amazons but the actual visualisation looked and felt a lot like Bond with his girls. Without him desiring them of course.

Marvel's Asgardians are based on mythical Asgardians, which are Western inventions. Do you see any African god's having surnames?

Take the quote in its full context: Priest is trying to tell you that he intentionally took away emphasis from his abilities as an inventor to focus on his abilities as a strategist.

The Dora Milaje, particularly Okoye and Nakia, were clearly visualised to be femme fatales, as messed up as that is considering they were underage. But they were inspired by models. Particularly Naomi Campbell and Tyra Banks. And models have been Bond girls before, no?

Sure, the concept of an African king being flanked by female soldiers is obviously inspired by the Dahomey Amazons but the actual visualisation looked and felt a lot like Bond with his girls. Without him desiring them of course.
    Sorry, but no Priest didn't. He clearly states that this man is an inventor. Please read the whole thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think sometimes people look at Priests run with overly rosey glasses, because from a political standpoint politics in Wakanda was pretty darn messy. They were constantly on the verge of tribal warfare. Wakanda wasn't really near utopian until Hudlin.
    That I can agree with. From underage girls doubling as "wives in waiting" and bodyguards to a Wakanda wracked with tribal conflict Priest did not push the idea of an idyllic Wakanda the way Hudlin did.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I think it's more the case that, when it ckmes down to it. T'Challa is a super genius who CAN build up super tech in a lab like Reed, he simply chooses not to, just like how hunter told Tony T'Challa could make a suit of armor like his.

Frankly, I prefer a dash of both, but with the former outweighing the later, I like the mindset that his standard gear is adequate for most situations, and only in rare occasions does he need to go outside of his tech to create something to handle the situation. Just have him use his tech like Priest did, conventional and unconventional method's
    Yea a mixture of both is the right approach. T'Challa should be competent enough to hold his own in the lab with Reed but where he really should shine is in unorthodox situations where innovation and strategy is key.

The best example being his fight against Iron Man. Between a vibranium suit, kinetic energy redirection, energy daggers, and Kimoyo T'Challa should be able to handle most threats with standard gear and if needed make stuff on the fly. The only thing is it requires a creative writer with an eye for the unconventional to make it work within the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Tchalla isn't the bragging type. He is the type to give credit where its due. If he (or the writer) wanted the reader to know who made it then they'd say so (which as you pointed out the other ppl gave credit to Tchalla). There's no reason to doubt that Tchalla was the mind behind it other than to seek ways to discredit him (a problem the movie has produced with its watered down version of the character).

It bothers me to see that Panther fans are now looking for ways to water the character down
    At least I know not to take you seriously.

i've probably spent more time than anyone on this board documenting all the **** T'challa actually did in the comics. The exact opposite of "looking for ways to water the character down"

In Strum Und Drang, Ross did say T'Challa made a few IMPROVEMENTS to his personal arsenal. One could take that as T'Challa was the one to actually update his gear.

Also see 2nd fight with Klaw and T'Challa says he's the one that discerned Klaw frequency. Since he wasn't really travel back & forth to Wakanda at that specific time, he's the one who probably made the electrical modification to the knife his father gave him.

Also, I believe Lee & Kirby had him invent things in his early appearances.
    Once again, I am not saying T'challa isn't a polymath genius who invents cool stuff.

You are 100% right, Lee/Kirby had T'challa bragging about **** he made for funsies in his first appearance. He built the technojungle on a whim for fun.

BUT

It hasn't been the focus of the character until recently. Vol 1 didn't focus on it. Vol 2 didn't focus on it. Vol 3 didn't focus on it. Vol 4 didn't focus on it. Vol 5/Doom War started to pick up steam, Liss made him invent gadgets bc he was street level, and then Hickman went full steam ahead so he could give Reed a buddy, then Coates just said "Scientist! most important trait!"

"T'challa sitting in a lab inventing stuff" is not a historically common trait for him on panel
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Sorry, but no Priest didn't. He clearly states that this man is an inventor. Please read the whole thing.
    And I never said he isn't an inventor or can't invent things. I said that the role was deemphasized to focus on his abilities as a fighter and a strategist. The majority of his characterisation and his feats have to do with that, and not what he invented.

And I never said he isn't an inventor or can't invent things. I said that the role was deemphasized to focus on his abilities as a fighter and a strategist. The majority of his characterisation and his feats have to do with that, and not what he invented.
    I think you can argue pretty much all the BP writers put greater emphasis on him being a fighter and strategist over being an inventor.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Once again, I am not saying T'challa isn't a polymath genius who invents cool stuff.

You are 100% right, Lee/Kirby had T'challa bragging about **** he made for funsies in his first appearance. He built the technojungle on a whim for fun.

BUT

It hasn't been the focus of the character until recently. Vol 1 didn't focus on it. Vol 2 didn't focus on it. Vol 3 didn't focus on it. Vol 4 didn't focus on it. Vol 5/Doom War started to pick up steam, Liss made him invent gadgets bc he was street level, and then Hickman went full steam ahead so he could give Reed a buddy, then Coates just said "Scientist! most important trait!"

"T'challa sitting in a lab inventing stuff" is not a historically common trait for him on panel
    I must respectfully disagree with the comments in BOLD.

Priest (Vol 3) and Hudlin (Vol 4) did focus on T'Challa's scientific/engineering creative abilities. It was BP's wealth, political power, AND scientific/engineering creative abilities that makes him comparable to Tony Stark. If it was just his strategic mind set and not scientific/engineering creative abilities, he would be more akin to Cap.

Twice in the issue were Storm & BP go to see Doom on their Honeymoon does Hudlin showcase T'Challa's inventive mind (see images below).

bp invent 2.JPG

bp invent 3.jpg

Priest & Hudlin both built on the fact that T'Challa is an polymath genius who invents cool stuff, who rules over a country of warrior geniuses who invents cool stuff (not every citizen, but he has access to the best engineers & scientist geniuses who invent cool stuff for him & the country lol).

My two favorite comic characters at this point are T'Challa (No.1) and Tony Stark (No.2). I do not really want all of their personality traits from the MCU to bleed exactly into the comics.

Shuri (or Taku) can build T'Challa tech, but he should be able to build/invent his own gear when the need arises, as was done in Rise of the Black Panther.

Everyone knows Batman can build his own gadgets, but the writers over time stated he gets a lot of his gear from Wayne Enterprises. I would think because it saves time on Bruce having to create everything (Read " Under the Hood").

As a leader Black Panther should delegate work when appropriate [ which is how Priest and Hudlin wrote majority of their BP comics], but T'Challa should not be striped of his inventive abilities to try and sale comics. Quality writing should be applied to sale comics.